ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL SEASON IN DOUBT

TheMule

Feb 5, 2003
Lenox Castle, NC
I am told by people who work closely with the Power Five Conferences and the TV Sports Networks that the outlook for college football this fall is "shaky" at best. And if there is no college football you can bet there will be no high school football as well.

Most educational administrators will not allow games if there are no students allowed in classrooms.

Looks like the best hopes at this time are for a limited number of games late this fall and/or early next year.

I will have to say this is one of those seasons I was looking forward to watching games. Some of the best matchups. I had some games on my list to watch. This year doesn’t look good for games to be played.

All four Cleveland County schools will have really good teams, in county games will be slobber knockers for sure, not a weakling amongst them, thing is, we may never know. Sad...

With so many counties going to remote learning for at least the first 9 weeks, there will be no fall high school football. Nchsaa can kick the can Down the road all they want but there won’t be football with kids not being able to even attend classes in person. It is what it is. Sucks.

Kids ARE allowed classes in person.
Districts are saying no.
Playball

Districts are saying no.
Playball

BK I'm with you. But many of the liberal politicians and school administrators not in WNC will not let it happen.

2020 Season is cooked. Conditions will not be any different in the spring. No football til at least 2021 in my opinion.

If conditions do not improve or new leadership is elected in the state it might even be cooked for several years to come.

SO SAD.

Reactions: KW23 and BK13T-$
I don't mean for this to sound as d*ckish as it's going to come across but I could've went outside and had a conversation with a tree in my yard, and walked away with the same conclusion. At this point, who didn't know the season was shaky?

The problem is that this is such a multi-faceted issue beyond what a friend of a friend is saying. There have been wars fought for much less than the amount of money that CFB generates annually and the decision makers know it. If you think COVID-19 is being politicized and monetized now, we're talking about multi-billions in economic impact, hanging in the balance. It's not so easy to just say GOODBYE to all of it and trust me, they won't. If there is even an ounce of opportunity to play, they will and it's likely that college sports as a whole is in the balance if they don't. With no March Madness revenue and no college baseball season, many colleges are slashing programs right and left over the summer. With no CFB, they'll all be on the docket for discussion.

The same goes for HS football at the local level. You can worry about all the "liberal politicians" you want but they know that with no HS FB season that NO OTHER SPORTS will have a season either. Without the breadwinner, there simply is no means to make it happen. I would say that it's more likely we'll have a spring season before they simply cancel football altogether. They need the gate and concession $$$ something fierce.

Reactions: KW23 and TheMule
Here is something interesting for ACC football fans.

The ACC (and other conferences) are looking at Conference Only games. This now means eight games for each ACC conference school.

But Notre Dame is an ACC school but "independent" for football and currently has five ACC schools on this years schedule (WF, Pitt, Duke, Clemson, and Ga Tech). So four of the other ACC schools could schedule ND so those ACC schools and ND would have nine games. Maybe a pipe dream with lots of logistics to work out but in the current climate of despair and doom any hope is better than none.

Here is something interesting for ACC football fans.

The ACC (and other conferences) are looking at Conference Only games. This now means eight games for each ACC conference school.

But Notre Dame is an ACC school but "independent" for football and currently has five ACC schools on this years schedule (WF, Pitt, Duke, Clemson, and Ga Tech). So four of the other ACC schools could schedule ND so those ACC schools and ND would have nine games. Maybe a pipe dream with lots of logistics to work out but in the current climate of despair and doom any hope is better than none.

The Chick-Fil-A kickoff is looking for it's own agreement as well.

https://929thegame.radio.com/articles/chick-fil-a-kickoff-games-to-be-played-as-scheduled-for-now

I know some will point to the conferences already cancelling their seasons, like the Ivy League, but one thing to consider with all of these smaller conferences pulling the plug this early is that for overwhelming majority of their members, the LOSE money on football. The Ivy for example funds it's athletic department from it's enormous endowment and through donors. It was a pretty easy decision for those schools/conferences to make. We can't say the same for Power-5 or even the other larger FBS conferences who depend on football revenue to fund their athletic departments. This isn't just making a decision on football alone, you're making a decision for all athletics.

Districts are saying no.
Playball
Even though the Gov passed the decision to the districts AKA "pulled a Trump". Schools are safer in some areas where there are low cases, other areas cases are rising. The biggest problem with saying we can play are the logistics. Say Robbinsville is in person. Those kids are transported to school which makes it easier to have practice. In Sylva, they may choose remote only. Then parents have to decide how to get kids to school for practice and pick them up at a very specific time due to the constraints of the pandemic. The transportation issues alone are major for so many areas of the state. And in bigger schools the logistics of scheduling classes to allow social distancing, clean, and enforce masks if gonna be a total nightmare.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
The same goes for HS football at the local level. You can worry about all the "liberal politicians" you want but they know that with no HS FB season that NO OTHER SPORTS will have a season either. Without the breadwinner, there simply is no means to make it happen. I would say that it's more likely we'll have a spring season before they simply cancel football altogether. They need the gate and concession $$$ something fierce.

Do you think they actually care? Many would be happy to be rid of it.

What they don't want to admit is that the refusal to open schools and insist on online learning will actually hurt the minority, the rural, the inner city and/or economically disadvantaged child more than others.

Its all about the agenda.

Reactions: bamatide13

You missed the entire point. IT ISN'T JUST A FOOTBALL DECISION / AGENDA. Get rid of football and girls soccer, ladies tennis, cheerleading, volleyball, basketball and any other sport you can conjure up, goes out the door with it.

Liberal politicians are the ones who care about the rural areas, economically disadvantaged students, etc. If it were safe to open and play ball, I'm sure they would push for that. They've been pushing for improving public education forever. The conservative agenda is the ones pushiing for charter schools and privatization of schools.

What they don't want to admit is that the refusal to open schools and insist on online learning will actually hurt the minority, the rural, the inner city and/or economically disadvantaged child more than others.

Its all about the agenda.

...........and let's be real here, there is no grand scheme. Do you really believe that they want the millions of $$$ in school funding that they allocate to sit and rot for another year, while education quality and test scores plummet from kids being home, and they have to deal with the vitriol from even those within their constituency over a lack of activities, nutrition, collegiate prep opportunities, etc, for their kids with school being out? Do you really think parents want to take on the burden of their kids education, politics be damned?

If I were betting man, the biggest driving factor is covering their a** from litigation over a child or parent or teacher getting sick, not some grand scheme to get rid of sports.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Serious question for BK, or any other Robbinsville people... What percentage of Graham County households do you believe have access to high speed internet?

I try to go out to Santeelah once or twice a year and I very rarely even get cell service in most places out yon way! Lol. I know how shotty the internet access is where I live in Haywood County and I know most other WNC mountain counties have the same problem, so I can only imagine what it must be like for y'all.

Last edited:
Serious question for BK, or any other Robbinsville people... What percentage of Graham County households do you believe have access to high speed internet?

I try to go out to Lake Santeelah once or twice a year and I very rarely even get cell service in most places out yon way! Lol.

This is an issue in all mountain counties, not just Graham. Even Buncombe has it's backwoods places with minimal internet access.

Reactions: PisgahCatamount07
Liberal politicians are the ones who care about the rural areas, economically disadvantaged students, etc. If it were safe to open and play ball, I'm sure they would push for that. They've been pushing for improving public education forever. The conservative agenda is the ones pushiing for charter schools and privatization of schools.

Blue Font needed. Must not of heard what Malcolm X said about the White Liberal Politicians.

Reactions: bamatide13
That's not a cancellation and if Cali isn't cancelling the season, NC stands a chance....

With it being California one would think this was going to happen. Wonder how many of the top recruits want play. If your a EE that means no season for you.

With it being California one would think this was going to happen. Wonder how many of the top recruits want play. If your a EE that means no season for you.

If you choose to be an early enrollee, you simply have to play the hand you are dealt. It was your decision to leave HS early, but for the rest of the players who aren't going to college, at least they still have a fighting chance.

Last edited:
Just my prediction...I don't think football is happening. Flipping seasons would create a lot of conflicts.

If you’re an early enrollee... stay the course after December and be done with your high school football career. There are bigger fish to fry. Don’t sit around and hope for a spring season. Even if that happens, it’ll likely be a short season. Go get some extra credit hours at your college and make your course load easier down the line.

At the very least on the HS level in NC, any football played in the fall would put teams that have not been able to practice in any capacity as of yet at a competitive disadvantage versus those that have.

Reactions: FB is my Life
At the very least on the HS level in NC, any football played in the fall would put teams that have not been able to practice in any capacity as of yet at a competitive disadvantage versus those that have.

Which is why it is highly unlikely there will be any football played this Fall.

You missed the entire point. IT ISN'T JUST A FOOTBALL DECISION / AGENDA. Get rid of football and girls soccer, ladies tennis, cheerleading, volleyball, basketball and any other sport you can conjure up, goes out the door with it.

EXACTLY. Which was my point.
Apparently YOU missed it.

Do you really believe that they want the millions of $$$ in school funding that they allocate to sit and rot for another year, while education quality and test scores plummet from kids being home, and they have to deal with the vitriol from even those within their constituency over a lack of activities, nutrition, collegiate prep opportunities, etc, for their kids with school being out? Do you really think parents want to take on the burden of their kids education, politics be damned?

WTF do you think has been going on since March? Have you been taking a nap?

Last edited:
EXACTLY. Which was my point.
Apparently YOU missed it.

Do you really believe that they want the millions of $$$ in school funding that they allocate to sit and rot for another year, while education quality and test scores plummet from kids being home, and they have to deal with the vitriol from even those within their constituency over a lack of activities, nutrition, collegiate prep opportunities, etc, for their kids with school being out? Do you really think parents want to take on the burden of their kids education, politics be damned?

WTF do you think has been going on since March? Have you been taking a nap?

WTH are you talking about? Of course it's happened since March but the point is do you really believe they want that proverbial blood on their hands all in the name of some hypothetical agenda? I've got some land in Arizona I'd like to sell you if so.

No football will crush a lot of athletic programs. They are funded by the gate receipts. Especially poorer schools without big booster clubs and parents who can write checks.
True. Having no football season will be extremely detrimental to other sports. Lots of logistics that would need to be reviewed. Such as if there is no season, no need to pay for reconditioning of helmets. But, football will recover quickly when we are able to get back to normal. At this point, the powers that be should plan on a spring season. Unfortunately some kids will be lost to early enrollment. And some kids will have to choose sports to play if football overlaps with baseball/ track. There are no good solutions right now. Especially with Flu season on the way. Better go drink some Clorox to clean the system.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT