ADVERTISEMENT

1A Final Brackets Girls & Boys

South Stokes travels to Cherokee for a first round matchup. Map says 3:30 hour trip. Will be over 4hrs in an activity bus. Pretty sad that Cherokee wouldn’t budge on start time. Boys game starting at 8pm. Will put South getting back at 2am or later.
Well Braves will have according to mapquest a 4hr and 8 min trip to Chatham charter on Thursday night if they beat south stokes. And Chatham charter girls will have a game also so it will be interesting to see the start time of that game. I'm trying to decide whether to go watch the girls at Lincoln charter who the Braves have beaten this year already and I saw them beat them last year too or watch boy Braves play at Chatham charter...Chatham charter only has 1 loss but it was to Chatham central who I think is beatable. Go Braves!

The girls game involves Swain county which is right down the road. Maybe play the games at 5 and 6:30? Or play the boys game first? Lots of ways they could accommodate.

A 5 start time would impact the ability of their fans and Swain's getting there for the start. Perhaps they want to keep it as normal a game night as possible.

Well Braves will have according to mapquest a 4hr and 8 min trip to Chatham charter on Thursday night if they beat south stokes. And Chatham charter girls will have a game also so it will be interesting to see the start time of that game. I'm trying to decide whether to go watch the girls at Lincoln charter who the Braves have beaten this year already and I saw them beat them last year too or watch boy Braves play at Chatham charter...Chatham charter only has 1 loss but it was to Chatham central who I think is beatable. Go Braves!

Chatham Central and Chatham Charter both have really good teams. A Cherokee/Chatham Charter second round match up would be a lot of fun

A 5 start time would impact the ability of their fans and Swain's getting there for the start. Perhaps they want to keep it as normal a game night as possible.

honestly it’s the state playoffs so it’s to be expected. Part of the fun is going different places. So go play whenever and wherever it is. Cherokee will have a long bus ride the second round if they win. Just how it is

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
honestly it’s the state playoffs so it’s to be expected. Part of the fun is going different places. So go play whenever and wherever it is. Cherokee will have a long bus ride the second round if they win. Just how it is

I understand that travel is expected. That’s not the issue. It’s that the school isn’t willing work with you at all. Bishop girls for example are playing Manteo. 5hr trip so bishop asked to play at 5pm because of the travel distance. That’s two schools working together.

Looking at 4A Mt Tabor is 23-3 and Parkland is 20-4 and beat Mt Tabor 2 times this year and is ranked 4th in the state and they are a 18th seed. Their is no way this is fair to Parkland!

Looking at 4A Mt Tabor is 23-3 and Parkland is 20-4 and beat Mt Tabor 2 times this year and is ranked 4th in the state and they are a 18th seed. Their is no way this is fair to Parkland!
So Ben L. Smith beat Parkland twice home and away so should Parkland be ahead of Ben L. Smith....your theory is wrong!

I understand that travel is expected. That’s not the issue. It’s that the school isn’t willing work with you at all. Bishop girls for example are playing Manteo. 5hr trip so bishop asked to play at 5pm because of the travel distance. That’s two schools working together.

Have you considered than Swain may not be willing to change their time? Or the fact that in WNC many of our better officials also work other jobs and will have to travel significant time to travel to Cherokee? Did you know that Cherokee's fan base gives them a significant home court advantage and the later they start the better for them. Have they not earned the right to put themselves in the best situation to win? I bet you are looking at the request only from your teams perspective.

Have you considered than Swain may not be willing to change their time? Or the fact that in WNC many of our better officials also work other jobs and will have to travel significant time to travel to Cherokee? Did you know that Cherokee's fan base gives them a significant home court advantage and the later they start the better for them. Have they not earned the right to put themselves in the best situation to win? I bet you are looking at the request only from your teams perspective.

They did earn the right to host and not travel for first round. What’s the difference in playing the boys first at 6 and then the girls game? Fan base would already be there. Helps everybody out. I would think the fans could get there by 6pm.

Cherokee boys will have their hands full with South Stokes, 50/50 game probably.

Cherokee boys will have their hands full with South Stokes, 50/50 game probably.

Any NWC team is going to be tough. Only common opponent is Bishop, and you can tell exactly nothing from the results. Cherokee lost to Bishop by 8, South Stokes beat Bishop once and got blown out by them by 23 the other time. Home court will be huge for the Braves, and they seem to be peaking late, with the exception of losing the second night of a back to back in the conference final. Going to be a contrast of styles, with South Stokes wanting to slow things down. But if they can control the pace I like Cherokee’s chances. South Stokes has lost every game this year when the other team gets to 60.

I do think that the winner will have a decent shot to upset Chatham Charter in Round 2, based on what Chute Box Hero (who knows his stuff) wrote on the other site after watching Chatham Charter, saying he wasn’t sure they’d finish top four in a better conference.

Last edited:
Non-Boundry schools will be hard to beat in the 1-A East. East Carteret will have to go through one and probably two to get to the fourth round. The only advantage East has,if they win, is home court the first three rounds.

Non-Boundry schools will be hard to beat in the 1-A East. East Carteret will have to go through one and probably two to get to the fourth round. The only advantage East has,if they win, is home court the first three rounds.

Henderson Collegiate is the favorite, but they’re going to have to earn it. Bottom half of the 1A East bracket much tougher than the top.

They did earn the right to host and not travel for first round. What’s the difference in playing the boys first at 6 and then the girls game? Fan base would already be there. Helps everybody out. I would think the fans could get there by 6pm.

If I was the Cherokee coaches I would keep things as normal as possible. This girls first, boys second. They have the full right to do as they wish, they earned the seeds. Simple as that. Not sure why this is an issue or how Cherokee is being blamed for anything. Geez

The solution to long travel is simple. Play only 2 games a week, one Tuesday, one Saturday. This reduces missed class time, allows more fans to travel to away games on the weekend (producing more cash, see below) and gives student-athletes some time to rest between games. As for the cost of travel, I proposed the state pays 80% of all travel costs of teams that travel over 300 miles round trip. Why should a school's athletic department be punished for being successful?
Excellent idea. That would be a good use of some of that endowment money that the state has.

Reactions: recycled2
Any NWC team is going to be tough. Only common opponent is Bishop, and you can tell exactly nothing from the results. Cherokee lost to Bishop by 8, South Stokes beat Bishop once and got blown out by them by 23 the other time. Home court will be huge for the Braves, and they seem to be peaking late, with the exception of losing the second night of a back to back in the conference final. Going to be a contrast of styles, with South Stokes wanting to slow things down. But if they can control the pace I like Cherokee’s chances. South Stokes has lost every game this year when the other team gets to 60.

I do think that the winner will have a decent shot to upset Chatham Charter in Round 2, based on what Chute Box Hero (who knows his stuff) wrote on the other site after watching Chatham Charter, saying he wasn’t sure they’d finish top four in a better conference.

Chatham Charter lost in OT to Chatham Central who tied North Rowan for the title in the YVC during the regular season and lost to NR in the tourney finals. So I think they would be just fine, they have a very good team with some talented players that are seniors with a lot of experience. They return most of a team that lost by 13 at Hayesville on the road a year ago. So they will be no easy game. I think the Cherokee game will be a great one actually and a lot of fun for fans.

Chatham Charter lost in OT to Chatham Central who tied North Rowan for the title in the YVC during the regular season and lost to NR in the tourney finals. So I think they would be just fine, they have a very good team with some talented players that are seniors with a lot of experience. They return most of a team that lost by 13 at Hayesville on the road a year ago. So they will be no easy game. I think the Cherokee game will be a great one actually and a lot of fun for fans.

Cherokee south stokes game? Or cherokee Chatham charter will be a great game?

I am not saying it's not work that's what they get paid for not just Sunday afternoon for 4 or 5 hours. Just saying a team that's 17-6 should not be seeded 15th and a team that's 15-10 be seeded higher!

A couple of facts you are missing. The NCHSAA would need a much larger staff since most team sports use this system. Finally this imperfect system is the one put in place by the schools themselves. Again what is your solution?

I don’t think they will be an easy game, but the fact that the best result on their schedule is almost beating a conference runner up kind of shows they haven’t seen a lot of playoff type competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: KW23 and recycled2
I think they need to go to a 48 team playoff this would take some of it. A team with a losing record should not be in the playoffs and why would you want to be. The travel expense and time to go get your butt kicked! My son the best his team was a 29 seed and never came close to winning a game. By dropping to 48 want solve all the problems but it would help alot!

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I think they need to go to a 48 team playoff this would take some of it. A team with a losing record should not be in the playoffs and why would you want to be. The travel expense and time to go get your butt kicked! My son the best his team was a 29 seed and never came close to winning a game. By dropping to 48 want solve all the problems but it would help alot!

This would help fill the schedules of daycares and preschools as schools triy to guarantee winning records. Also we would probably see the end of split conferences. Face it, there is no perfect system. Even the NCAA system you want to adopt has flaws. That is why ever major sports network has "experts" that tell us whoose seed is too high or too low, who was left out and should be in. I really would like to see changes in seeding etc... but mostly with leveling the playing field in terms of rest between games and travel accomendations. Some schools at least get charter buses, others still take the good old slow but steady activity buses.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Let the kids play and go experience the playoffs. That’s part of the fun

It doesn't really matter now you just play and try to win one game at a time. But I still don't think the number 8th ranked team in the state should be a 15th seed in the west. Beating teams 3 or 4 times in a year is tough when both teams are about the same!

You still wouldn’t win a game in the Northwest 1A.

I’m not sure about that. We use to play in Ashe county Christmas tournament played northwest 1a pretty often can’t remember us losing. Football makes our record look bad. As most of our guys play football

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT