ADVERTISEMENT

1A Final Brackets Girls & Boys

The NCHSAA is a joke they know nothing about sports and should not be seeding teams. East Surry beat My Airy and Winston Salem Prep 2 times each this year and they are a 15 seed! Just because you win your conference you should not be seeded higher than a better team with a better record! It should be done like the NCAA!

Reactions: G_all_W_day_Y
This never gets better ,it's a joke every year. Nobody making those big salaries for doing nothing at the NCHSAA wants to take any responsibility for things being done right and this is the result. It starts at the top and we the fans and the parents and the players themselves have to live with this ridiculousness every year. When do we finally say enough is enough?

The NCHSAA is a joke they know nothing about sports and should not be seeding teams. East Surry beat My Airy and Winston Salem Prep 2 times each this year and they are a 15 seed! Just because you win your conference you should not be seeded higher than a better team with a better record! It should be done like the NCAA!

Or how about the #2 team in MaxPreps being a 10 seed?

They should go to 48 teams their should never be a team with a losing record in the playoffs. The only way that should happen is if you win your conference tournament.

I absolutely love it ..Because in some states.. you can go undefeated.. and lose in conference or region tournament and not make the playoffs at all.. Pick your poison.

I think TN and GA work this way, or at least used to. I think N.C. system is better than most, but nothing is perfect.

You should never have to play a team in the 2nd round you have already played 3 times. East Surry has a better record than most teams even Prep ranked 8th in the state and get a 15th in the West. That's bull crap anyway you want to look at it!

OK. My question to you is who has seen these teams to make that decision? In the NCAA they have power matchups, like UK-Kansas, Duke-Mich. St, UNC-Zags, etc..., Few of these exist in HS. How will you determine the "best" teams? You can't base it on last year. What is your system that determines who is deserving of which seeds?

You do it by their ranking in the state like the NCAA and power of schedule! They don't seed them by what they look like on TV they do it by their ranking!

I just know a team that is 17-6 and ranking 8th in the state and has beat Winston Salem Prep 2 times this year should not be a 15 the seed in the West!

You should never have to play a team in the 2nd round you have already played 3 times. East Surry has a better record than most teams even Prep ranked 8th in the state and get a 15th in the West. That's bull crap anyway you want to look at it!

No, not really. You can't have it both ways. If you go to a seeding system you will have conference rematches and some long road trips. Please give us the perfect system.

It's the playoffs why does it matter where you travel that should not be a issue! Just seed them how they are ranked in the state and their power ranking it will be better than this! This is how it was when I was in school in the early 80's!

You do it by their ranking in the state like the NCAA and power of schedule! They don't seed them by what they look like on TV they do it by their ranking!

You don't think the NCAA committee goes to matchups to see how teams play and watch video of games? How do you think they do it? Draw names from a hat? I actual know someone who has served on the NCAA Women's Selection Committee. It is a long term, complicated process.

I am not saying it's not work that's what they get paid for not just Sunday afternoon for 4 or 5 hours. Just saying a team that's 17-6 should not be seeded 15th and a team that's 15-10 be seeded higher!

I like the format we have seed 1-64 break them down by East/west and play. I think the lack of transparency on the rankings are frustrating for scheduling purposes and I believe head to head and point differential should be accounted for. Take for example Chatham central best Chatham charter twice by 20. That should be taken into account. Like a previous post said there is no perfect system I like the current format I’m not a fan of MP due to a number of items mainly they say nothing definitive just “not necessarily” mostly. The transparency would go a long way value wins especially wins out of class and if Mp can’t do it or unwilling to find a different vendor

It's the playoffs why does it matter where you travel that should not be a issue! Just seed them how they are ranked in the state and their power ranking it will be better than this! This is how it was when I was in school in the early 80's!

Travel does matter. It is a major expense for some schools. 2 long road trips mean a lost of a week in school. If you so want the NCAA system then lets also go to neutral sites. As an added consideration to the answer of why travel is an issue, just tell me why Duke and UNC want to be in the East Regional? Kansas in the Midwest? These guys travel by private jet, so why does it matter?

As to your desire to use rankings and SOS. Lets just say the NCAA relies very little on rankings. Even so these rankings are generated by people vetted as being knowledgeable about the game.

A few things stand out to me:

It will be very hard for East Surry boys to beat WS Prep a 3rd time, especially at WSPA.

If Bishop boys come together and play as good as they can, they can make a deep run(it’ll just have to be on the road) because they can avoid the NW conference teams for the most part.

I don’t understand the rankings, how is Bishop girls ranked so high? They were blown out by East Surry the 1st time & needed help from the officials and a bad shooting night to win the 2nd time, and they have been beaten by MA 2x.

The top half of the girls bracket is brutal. Murphy/Cherokee in the 3rd round, East Surry/Robbinsville in the 2nd round, and then 2 of those 4 meeting in the 4th round is a really hard stretch. Murphy, Cherokee, and East Surry are all much better than the #2 seed at the bottom of the west bracket.

I don’t like how Bishop girls are sent East, and boys are sent West. Just seems weird.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
I like the format we have seed 1-64 break them down by East/west and play. I think the lack of transparency on the rankings are frustrating for scheduling purposes and I believe head to head and point differential should be accounted for. Take for example Chatham central best Chatham charter twice by 20. That should be taken into account. Like a previous post said there is no perfect system I like the current format I’m not a fan of MP due to a number of items mainly they say nothing definitive just “not necessarily” mostly. The transparency would go a long way value wins especially wins out of class and if Mp can’t do it or unwilling to find a different
venanydor

This as good as any. I think it needs a few tweaks. As currently constructed, it provides no incentive for schools from higher classes to play lower classes. A
3A school losing to a 1A is a big loss for them. Many schools located next to other states schedule those teams and seem to get little credit from MP. I think like bulldog, their methods should be revealed for public inspection. the same is true for the "adjustment" standards used by the state.

Last edited:
Reactions: bulldog nation2014
More than likely you would have to play Prep sometime I am just saying we should be seeded higher than a 15th seed!

NWC Home Games.
Girls Tuesday 6:00 & Boys 7:30

East Surry Girls vs Piedmont Comm. Collage
Mount Airy Girls vs Blue Ridge Early Collage
Mount Airy Boys vs Cherryville
East Surry Boys vs Thomas Jefferson
WSPrep Boys vs Elkin

We got a Home game... Do you think with this schedule, for a 2a team should we be rewarded for coming in second in our conference.10-13. Some teams pad their schedule and sit atop their respective Classification. This year it is going to bite them in the rear... I see Shelby taking the west in the boys. I'm not satisfied with some of the top tier team's schedules.
#3 team in 4a Pinecrest.
#5 team in 4a Apex Friendship.. scrimmage
#10 team in 4a twice Richmond
#2 team in 3a cox mills
top private school Winston Salem Christian
top private school Carmel Christian
#1 team 2a South Granville scrimmage
#2 team 2a Forest Hills twice

The worst one on the board is Parkland in 3a. They are 21 and 4 having beat the #1 seed three times including tournament championship and they are a 18 seed. They could represent the west

I think they need some new people charge with the NCHSAA! Who appoints these position?
Twitter quote from Nick Stevens of HSOT:

“Fact check: MaxPreps rankings entered the equation for playoffs because the basketball coaches association ASKED FOR IT. It is not an NCHSAA conspiracy. Anyone telling you this is wrong. I go to the board meetings twice a year. I’ve listened to the conversations for years.”

Blue Ridge (Cashiers, NC) to Mt. Airy 221 miles one way. Probably a $1500 charter. On a Tuesday night.
Long travel definitely sucks but it’s also 1 time per year. If travel is such a major concern, cut the playoffs down by 1 round.

My only problem with the current system is the seeding of 2-3 seeds ahead of conference tournament winners and teams with stronger SOS. Definitely let auto qualifiers in, but seed all 1 seeds, then all conference tournament winners (who aren’t already in the 1 seed group), then everyone else based on rankings.

The old geographic “pod system” was horrible and unfair to the better teams (same thing for predetermined brackets). The best teams should be getting more home games.

Just a thought wouldn’t mind seeing the only auto qualifiers being conference champs and conference tourney champs. All 1’s being conference ships 2’s being conference tourney ships if different and then everybody else as at larges.
+1000000 to this!

You have beat Prep twice so what is your worry. Do it again and move on. Worry about 1st round then second round.
You’ve definitely got to win, regardless of who you play and you have to play the better teams at some point...but do you really think 2 of the top 10 teams in the State based on rankings should be paired up in the 2nd Rd? I know it isn’t exactly the same but that’s equivalent of the NCAA giving the #10 ranked team in the country an 8 seed instead of a 3 seed and having them play a 1 seed (a top 4 team in the country) in the 2nd Rd.

Twitter quote from Nick Stevens of HSOT:

“Fact check: MaxPreps rankings entered the equation for playoffs because the basketball coaches association ASKED FOR IT. It is not an NCHSAA conspiracy. Anyone telling you this is wrong. I go to the board meetings twice a year. I’ve listened to the conversations for years.”
I don’t think anyone is disputing that what people are frustrated with is the transparency. Atleast know what coaches can do to maximize their schedule. I don’t know or “not necessarily” is not a valid explanation

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
South Stokes travels to Cherokee for a first round matchup. Map says 3:30 hour trip. Will be over 4hrs in an activity bus. Pretty sad that Cherokee wouldn’t budge on start time. Boys game starting at 8pm. Will put South getting back at 2am or later.

I don’t think anyone is disputing that what people are frustrated with is the transparency. Atleast know what coaches can do to maximize their schedule. I don’t know or “not necessarily” is not a valid explanation

A good example is Cherokee's boys. They scheduled Bishop and Lincoln Charter. Added in some tough out of state and they won the conference tournament. Their reward, #42 rank and a #13 seed.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
South Stokes travels to Cherokee for a first round matchup. Map says 3:30 hour trip. Will be over 4hrs in an activity bus. Pretty sad that Cherokee wouldn’t budge on start time. Boys game starting at 8pm. Will put South getting back at 2am or later.

Cherokee may not have much flexibility as they also a girls game that night.

Long travel definitely sucks but it’s also 1 time per year. If travel is such a major concern, cut the playoffs down by 1 round.

My only problem with the current system is the seeding of 2-3 seeds ahead of conference tournament winners and teams with stronger SOS. Definitely let auto qualifiers in, but seed all 1 seeds, then all conference tournament winners (who aren’t already in the 1 seed group), then everyone else based on rankings.

The old geographic “pod system” was horrible and unfair to the better teams (same thing for predetermined brackets). The best teams should be getting more home games.

The solution to long travel is simple. Play only 2 games a week, one Tuesday, one Saturday. This reduces missed class time, allows more fans to travel to away games on the weekend (producing more cash, see below) and gives student-athletes some time to rest between games. As for the cost of travel, I proposed the state pays 80% of all travel costs of teams that travel over 300 miles round trip. Why should a school's athletic department be punished for being successful?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT