ADVERTISEMENT

Eery Silence

Because most of the teams on this board have been playing basketball for 3 weeks now. It's all Charlotte again. carolinavarsity.com has a lot of chatter this week.

All the trash talk is on HSOT. This is Wake counties year as I am told. Hopefully The Creek can keep it close and stay competitive.

Originally posted by mrhonda:
This is typically what happens when the CPC has been eliminated.
Dang, you catch on quick.

The New Bern guys are also well known to talk a little smack, regardless of opponent. Their silence this week tells me that they are taking this opponent and this game pretty seriously. Some of them won't admit it, but they were overlooking and underestimating Porter Ridge pretty hard a couple of years back, so this might be evidence of a lesson learned? Catholic would've been better served if New Bern had already patted themselves on the back on crowned themselves champ.

Not me hokie. Check the other threads. We are fans. What difference does it make what the hell we post? It has absolutely no bearing on how the Bears will do Friday night. If you believe what you just typed, you take this board wayyyy to seriously.
Go Bears!

Exactly. Like I said, none of the typical New Bern smack talkers are letting it loose this year. You guys are all business so far.

And yes, players read message boards. Communities talk amongst themselves. And the tone of the fans is usually a very good indication of the mindset of the team. You're way out of touch if you don't think this is the case. I know about a dozen kids currently playing high school football that would happily tell you otherwise if you don't believe it.

Originally posted by hokiemtc:

Exactly. Like I said, none of the typical New Bern smack talkers are letting it loose this year. You guys are all business so far.

And yes, players read message boards. Communities talk amongst themselves. And the tone of the fans is usually a very good indication of the mindset of the team. You're way out of touch if you don't think this is the case. I know about a dozen kids currently playing high school football that would happily tell you otherwise if you don't believe it.
I know they read them. I have one living in my house sitting next to me right now. He reads the boards, but it still has no bearing on how they will play Friday. If it affects the players you are talking about, then they are in trouble. Now when I read where people are bashing coaching staffs, individual players etc, I think that's different. Nothing wrong with a little hype though.
Go Bears!

I think sadly social media and message boards have become part of the landscape over the last 5-10 years. I don't think a couple yahoos pounding their chests on a message board makes much impact other than possibly a comical one but I do think twitter, instagram etc,etc has become a large portion of how kids communicate and it would be silly to think it doesn't have some impact on the field. It effects every day life..

LTB- sons' s a Oline guy right??

Originally posted by Blue and Gold22:

I think sadly social media and message boards have become part of the landscape over the last 5-10 years. I don't think a couple yahoos pounding their chests on a message board makes much impact other than possibly a comical one but I do think twitter, instagram etc,etc has become a large portion of how kids communicate and it would be silly to think it doesn't have some impact on the field. It effects every day life..

Agree 100% B&G. Drives me crazy. I'm old and like to occasionally pound my chest. lol..It's all I have...haha

And yeah, O line..Mighty proud. He's a blue collar kid on the field. His coaching at NB is the best I've ever seen. He's blessed to be part of this great program. Here is his HUDL. Check him out.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3279554/highlights/175463381

This post was edited on 12/10 7:03 PM by lovethembears

Originally posted by lovethembears:

He reads the boards, but it still has no bearing on how they will play Friday. If it affects the players you are talking about, then they are in trouble.
I don't buy that at all. One of two things happens all the time...1) a team gets motivated because they've been slighted and/or disrespected by the world in general or by one media outlet (or opposing coach...Tom Knotts comes to mind right away) in particular, or 2) teams get in trouble because they believe too much of their press clippings and they get complacent.

Both of these happens in all levels of football, and they happen every week.

However, top tier teams usually are good enough to overcome these fluctuations in motivation (they have some margin of error built in), so it usually just shows up more amongst mid-pack teams who are more evenly matched. I wouldn't expect New Bern or Catholic either one to be too much affected by anything going on in the world right now without it being something personal from the opposing team. Man, that Knotts guy could tweak an opposing team's irritation button quicker than any other coach I've ever seen.

Agree 100% B&G. Drives me crazy. I'm old and like to occasionally pound my chest. lol..It's all I have...haha

And yeah, O line..Mighty proud. He's a blue collar kid on the field. His coaching at NB is the best I've ever seen. He's blessed to be part of this great program. Here is his HUDL. Check him out.

Kids a mauler. Gotta little mean streak... you feed the boy raw meat. Not afraid to finish a block with a little edge. LOL

Congratulations on the Shrine Bowl. Had to be a great feeling. Think the practices will be a blast that week going up against Tuttle and Cousar. Big boy football

I see your point hokie. I get the whole bulletin board material aspect, but in the grand scheme of things I just don't think it matters that much to a 16-18 year old kid unless it becomes personal or your own team's fans blast negativity to their own team. There has been plenty of that on this site and others as far as NB goes in recent history. The funny thing is, it was done mostly by fans who have never paid the price or been part of a team and done the work. Most would change their tune if they had ever walked the walk. But it is part of the whole deal, and I get that too. Great is never great enough.

Kids a mauler. Gotta little mean streak... you feed the boy raw meat. Not afraid to finish a block with a little edge. LOL

Congratulations on the Shrine Bowl. Had to be a great feeling. Think the practices will be a blast that week going up against Tuttle and Cousar. Big boy football
Wishin' he was about 280...lol...He holds his own though. I'll be there all week. Appreciate the kind words. If you make it down, look me up. More proud that he's a great student and a high character kid.
This post was edited on 12/10 7:29 PM by lovethembears

Question. New Bern going all red or the black on black like 2012??
I have no idea. They have been in black all playoffs. I know what I want...I am as superstitious as they come though.

He will be wore out after Shrine Bowl week. They keep them pretty busy plus coming right off the title game. Congratulations on the selection. Are you guys heading down Saturday morning? In 2007, as soon as Kevin Reddick showered he hopped in a car and headed to Spartanburg. Playing on Friday makes that a lot easier.

Where is he looking at going next year?

Congratulations on the Shrine Bowl.
Shrine Bowler, huh? I gotta say, ltb, that that's pretty danged cool. Good luck to your son this week!

Since you obviously already know the deal with Catholic from scouting film this week, then I won't tell you anything you don't already know about them. This might end up being the biggest oline New Bern has faced this year (it will be danged close if not), and they are technically excellent in their execution. Therefore, their entire game will begin and end with them trying to take control of the line of scrimmage and keep Hughes on the sidelines.

Defensively, they are not going to stop New Bern's offense (they don't have any big, athletic kids on that side of the ball), so they are just going to what they do best...and that's play keep away. That's the entire game-within-a-game this week, and will determine who wins this one. New Bern's defensive front will earn their battle scars this week.

Originally posted by btango:

He will be wore out after Shrine Bowl week. They keep them pretty busy plus coming right off the title game. Congratulations on the selection. Are you guys heading down Saturday morning? In 2007, as soon as Kevin Reddick showered he hopped in a car and headed to Spartanburg. Playing on Friday makes that a lot easier.

Where is he looking at going next year?
Win or lose(hopefully win) he and Mike want to ride the bus back to NB. Big time fanfare either way and they don't want to miss that memory. Yours truly is taking them from NB to Spartanburg on Saturday. The SB folks gave them a pass to get there by 545pm instead of 2pm. Its gonna be a long 2 days for sure. I'll be there all week and would love to meet anyone going to put a face with a screen name. My cell is (910) 431-3329. Shoot me a text if you are around. He has a handful of PWO offers and some D2 stuff. He actually graduates tomorrow and NC State wants him to go through spring ball so he has a shot which is all he wants. He's a pretty good long snapper too(did that in the 2012 game as a soph and will be doing that in the SB for sure) but they have talked to him about possibly trying TE. Fun times!

LTB's son is a great kid, no doubt. I think you'll see him playing in the ACC.

As far as the game, it will no doubt be a battle. CC has multiple guys that can pound the rock and they do a great job of running side to side. The O-line is big and they love to run block. We will have to do a good job on 1st down and force them into 2nd and 3rd and long. NB has depth on D so fatigue shouldn't be a problem.

Originally posted by hokiemtc:

Congratulations on the Shrine Bowl.
Shrine Bowler, huh? I gotta say, ltb, that that's pretty danged cool. Good luck to your son this week!

Since you obviously already know the deal with Catholic from scouting film this week, then I won't tell you anything you don't already know about them. This might end up being the biggest oline New Bern has faced this year (it will be danged close if not), and they are technically excellent in their execution. Therefore, their entire game will begin and end with them trying to take control of the line of scrimmage and keep Hughes on the sidelines.

Defensively, they are not going to stop New Bern's offense (they don't have any big, athletic kids on that side of the ball), so they are just going to what they do best...and that's play keep away. That's the entire game-within-a-game this week, and will determine who wins this one. New Bern's defensive front will earn their battle scars this week.
Thanks hokie! We are proud to say the least. It's a testament to where he plays and the coaching he has had as much as anything. He goes hard til the whistle blows every snap. It's been fun to watch.

CC is a great team and it should be a great game. Ball control city no doubt. Friday can't get here soon enough.

Go Bears!

I am surprised that Footsoldier has not made an appearance on this thread giving his opinion of what he thinks will transpire on Fri. night.

LTB's kid does have that nasty streak that all good O-linemen possess. My son went up against him and can testify to that....watched the NB/Conley film again last night and saw it....they took some good shots at each other.

Then after the game....he is one of nicest kids you will ever meet.....a tribute to good parenting....

It's kids like my boy and NB's #55 that make high school football such a special event....I will miss a lot of that next year.

Lovethembears- that kid of yours is my kind of competitor. Stayed with the block the whole time and turned the opposing kid out of the play before burying them. I love those trench guys the best. Young men like him make programs successful.

Originally posted by Viking Dad:

LTB's kid does have that nasty streak that all good O-linemen possess. My son went up against him and can testify to that....watched the NB/Conley film again last night and saw it....they took some good shots at each other.

Then after the game....he is one of nicest kids you will ever meet.....a tribute to good parenting....

It's kids like my boy and NB's #55 that make high school football such a special event....I will miss a lot of that next year.
lol V Dad....he hit him in the back a few times. haha

And 64 is a man!

Originally posted by Godevilsgo:
Lovethembears- that kid of yours is my kind of competitor. Stayed with the block the whole time and turned the opposing kid out of the play before burying them. I love those trench guys the best. Young men like him make programs successful.
Thanks Godevilsgo! Appreciate the kind words and know he will!!!

He has great coaches and is very, very lucky and blessed to be part of such a great program. I can't even put into words how much being a part of New Bern football, the community, and the fan base has meant to him and our family. It's been an unbelievable experience watching both of my sons play for the Bears. I will cry like a baby when his time at NB is over because he's the last son. His competitiveness is off the charts which helps a lot.too...lol

Go Bears!

Believe me when I say that last day is a strange feeling. Feels like a giant void inside. Three athletes later I get to hang out with the wife. Shopping stinks LTB.

LTB,

Good luck to your Bears. My son will be on the other sideline. I've already advised him to watch the New Bern center to see how it's done. Hoping for some Catholic magic, but proud to playing against such a great program.

Originally posted by seadog28:
LTB,

Good luck to your Bears. My son will be on the other sideline. I've already advised him to watch the New Bern center to see how it's done. Hoping for some Catholic magic, but proud to playing against such a great program.
Awesome seadog. I'll be on the sidelines with my camera (wearing a pink Havelock shirt...lol) Text me his jersey # and your email address and I'll gets some pics of him and send them your way. My cell number is up there somewhere in this thread. Should be a great game. Y'all take it easy on us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT