ADVERTISEMENT

EE Smith @ Clinton

Darkhorse#34

Jul 30, 2006
Week 3 after lost last Friday Night Clinton welcomes the EE Smith Golden Bulls to Darkhorse Stadium for what I believe is the first meeting between the two. Always nice to play against any of our neighbors from Cumberland county doesn’t happen as often you would think. EE Smith will be coming into the game riding high cause they did something Friday they didn’t do all last year and that’s win a game. 26-16 victory over Cape Fear. Opposite for Clinton coming in after suffering a 35-18 beat down at the hands of rival Wallace.

Don’t know much bout Golden Bulls being 3A should have depth on their side looks like they throw it around a bit. If they have a mobile QB that’s a issue seems to be a early weakness for our defense. If front line doesn’t make the play or loses containment secondary does not tackle well at all. Gave up big plays to Goldsboro and Wallace QBs.

Clinton it’s home opener you went against a quality opponent now you have film and see obvious things you need to straighten out. Ball security needs to be better can’t turn the ball over like we did especially against good teams ,but playcalling has to be better and that’s not on the players. And I understand the kid is a freshmen but you have a kicker why don’t you use him???????? Honestly not sure what to expect Friday we should win depending on which team shows up but haven’t played 4 quarters yet thru the first two games.

Last edited:
Positives sophomore QB seems to have settled in a bit still don’t think we are doing him any favors as far as playcalling and placement of some players go. McLaurin is a great athlete 1,000 yard WR a year ago just think he would be of better service in the slot or out wide try to get him the ball in open space so he can be a athlete similar to how UNC uses Josh Downs.

Positives sophomore QB seems to have settled in a bit still don’t think we are doing him any favors as far as playcalling and placement of some players go. McLaurin is a great athlete 1,000 yard WR a year ago just think he would be of better service in the slot or out wide try to get him the ball in open space so he can be a athlete similar to how UNC uses Josh Downs.
I agree with you questioning the play calling. I don't understand why the QB run up the gut is loved so much when you have a few good backs?!

I agree with you questioning the play calling. I don't understand why the QB run up the gut is loved so much when you have a few good backs?!
It’s a lot of QB read plays. I question some of the formations why line up in tight formations isn’t that just playing to a team like Wallace strength seems like when we spreaded it out more we were able to move the ball better. I thought we would attack thru the air more aswell. It was one time a 4th and 5 or 7 something like that and we ran it right up the middle???? The play calling was very lackluster and predictable. QB had a good game running tho 145 yards 2 TDs.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC_91 and dogs79
It’s a lot of QB read plays. I question some of the formations why line up in tight formations isn’t that just playing to a team like Wallace strength seems like when we spreaded it out more we were able to move the ball better. I thought we would attack thru the air more aswell. It was one time a 4th and 5 or 7 something like that and we ran it right up the middle???? The play calling was very lackluster and predictable. QB had a good game running tho 145 yards 2 TDs.
Not gonna be the top teams in east let alone in the west with QB runs unless he's gonna be MVP Lamar Jackson. Time to use all the athlete's on the team and get them in space. You all have a lot of them.

Is McLaurin the #2 kid? If so I agree. Move him from RB and use him in the slot and out wide. I think I posted this in the game thread Friday night after the game. You have #10 and he is a hoss a long with #4 and #3. I didn't see much of #3 Friday night. I know he showed some speed in the scrimmage I went too. I really think you are good enough to win out. It's early in the season. Hopefully they got those mistakes out of their system now.

Is McLaurin the #2 kid? If so I agree. Move him from RB and use him in the slot and out wide. I think I posted this in the game thread Friday night after the game. You have #10 and he is a hoss a long with #4 and #3. I didn't see much of #3 Friday night. I know he showed some speed in the scrimmage I went too. I really think you are good enough to win out. It's early in the season. Hopefully they got those mistakes out of their system now.
Yes McLaurin is #2. My only guess is to why he is use the way he is because #3 Onias Robinson and #4 Josiah Robinson are both used on defense so I’m guessing McLaurin is fresher but still I don’t see him as a RB he’s a WR line him up in the slot get him in open space. We should win out till St Pauls game. Hopefully by that time some things are worked out cause based off what I seen the first two games if #23 gets past the dline it’s probably going to be a touchdown……..Also hope offensive playcalling is better.Way to predictable at this point I can probably guess our first 4 play calls vs EE Smith and hit on 3 of them.

Reactions: Tiger_Pride31
I don’t disagree I mean parents spent money sending him to those camps and combines only to watch him stand on the sideline in kicking situations gotta scratch your head on that one. Seems to be really comfortable between 40-45 yards I think he can handle a extra point attempt. At one point it was a 4th and Long i believe we were in his range instead run up the middle????????????? I mean the kid isn’t going to get more comfortable until you give him opportunities in live action to attempt these kicks. Idk I’m just a fan what do i know.

I don’t disagree I mean parents spent money sending him to those camps and combines only to watch him stand on the sideline in kicking situations gotta scratch your head on that one. Seems to be really comfortable between 40-45 yards I think he can handle a extra point attempt. At one point it was a 4th and Long i believe we were in his range instead run up the middle????????????? I mean the kid isn’t going to get more comfortable until you give him opportunities in live action to attempt these kicks. Idk I’m just a fan what do i know.

You know what you are talking about.

EE Smith played tough and made just enough plays to beat Cape Fear. They have some speed, but not very big. Not much depth either. They are 3A but haven't been too good lately thus the numbers are down. Cape Fear forgot who they were in the 3rd quarter and Smith capitalized on it.

EE Smith played tough and made just enough plays to beat Cape Fear. They have some speed, but not very big. Not much depth either. They are 3A but haven't been too good lately thus the numbers are down. Cape Fear forgot who they were in the 3rd quarter and Smith capitalized on it.
Thanks for the info couldnt remember if they were 4A or 3A. Seems like awhile since they been good. I remember Carter Sharpe back in the early 2000’s big time RB for them.

Reactions: UNC_91
Watched some film of the Cape Fear game I see what you mean. Not a lot of size but do have some athletes. #2 Franklin is their go to guy they will hand it off to him throw it to him try to get him in space very shifty reminds me of our #2. #9 Busbee seems to be another play maker for them him and #11 run a lot of misdirection. Secondary will get tested they throw it around a good amount. Could potentially be another good game for our dline plenty opportunities to rush the passer. Tough time handling Cape Fears blitz QB was fearless tho stood strong but took a lot of hits.

The area where Smith is located is struggling for students. Most of the people who live there had kids who graduated years ago. They there is no where for new neighborhoods or new development to bring in new students. Fayetteville as a whole is not what it used to be. There are some teams starting to emerge but things have changed. The Mid-South 4A used to be a powerhouse

The area where Smith is located is struggling for students. Most of the people who live there had kids who graduated years ago. They there is no where for new neighborhoods or new development to bring in new students. Fayetteville as a whole is not what it used to be. There are some teams starting to emerge but things have changed. The Mid-South 4A used to be a powerhouse
Yeah early 2000s that’s all you use to see in the Fayobserver was South View,Jack Britt and EE Smith I wanna say it was 2004 or 2005 when all three made deep run into playoffs think Britt and South View both played for state titles in 4AA and 4A one of those years. Then what 2008 you had Douglas Bryd playing Seventy First for a championship in 4A and Richmond and Jack Britt playing each other for championship in 4AA.

Watched some film of the Cape Fear game I see what you mean. Not a lot of size but do have some athletes. #2 Franklin is their go to guy they will hand it off to him throw it to him try to get him in space very shifty reminds me of our #2. #9 Busbee seems to be another play maker for them him and #11 run a lot of misdirection. Secondary will get tested they throw it around a good amount. Could potentially be another good game for our dline plenty opportunities to rush the passer. Tough time handling Cape Fears blitz QB was fearless tho stood strong but took a lot of hits.
I was surprised how much pressure EE Smith got on the QB for Cape Fear too. They were harrassing him all 3rd quarter. OF course that is when CF decided to abandon the run and become Air Raid. That cost them the game IMO. That kickoff return for Smith was huge! Very nice to see them win! I know of Carter, he was supposedly a very good RB. How is the crowd typically for a Clinton game? Never had the honor to coach against them in years past.

That's the truth. Smith has a loyal alumni base and parents love sending their kids to school to follow in their footsteps. Fayetteville was the real deal for HS football in NC until the early 2000's when Britt opened it changed things for Byrd, SV, 71st, etc. Glad to see 2 out of 3 have recovered as of late. Smith has just over 1000 students this year. Maybe they will get better this season, but I still don't see more then 4 W's at best.

I was surprised how much pressure EE Smith got on the QB for Cape Fear too. They were harrassing him all 3rd quarter. OF course that is when CF decided to abandon the run and become Air Raid. That cost them the game IMO. That kickoff return for Smith was huge! Very nice to see them win! I know of Carter, he was supposedly a very good RB. How is the crowd typically for a Clinton game? Never had the honor to coach against them in years past.
Usually a good crowd it’s the home opener so I would expect a good football atmosphere.

Reactions: UNC_91
Yeah I’ll definitely have my eye on #2 for Smith he is quite a athlete. Had some good runs vs Seventy First aswell. If he gets in space he can be a big problem.

Reactions: UNC_91 and LC3III
Scoring update Nydarion Blackwell connects with Josiah McLaurin on 10 yard pass for TD. PAT no good. Clinton 13 EE Smith 0. 9 mins left in half

Score update Clinton scores on short 5 yard TD run by @AmarisWilliam13. PAT no good. 5:26 left in 2nd Q Clinton 19 EE Smith 7

Last edited:
Reactions: Maiden Creek
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT