ADVERTISEMENT

East Surry

If it is a young coach, it needs to be a young coach with ties to the program and to the community. Bringing in an outsider would be a terrible mistake and one which I think people would regret in the long run.

Hopefully it will be a young coach that has no ties to the community. I think an outsider will be the best possible choice because no families or players will have any connection and everyone will start from scratch.

Reactions: ESOD and btango
rule of thumb in the Surry county school system has been to hire within if there is a candidate...could very well see either of the 2 mentioned as the next HC but one is already the boys basketball HC and unless he steps down don’t think it’s him...if they go outside, look for one of the neighboring counties

Apparently the Head basketball job is open as well. I don’t know if it’s been posted but there is supposed to be a coach that was brought in to be the basketball coach.

Reviewd East Surry record this year. 9-5. Avenged first game loss to East Wilkes in the playoffs.
Lost by one at 4A Ragsdale which won a playoff game.
Lost by four to 2A North Surry which had nine wins.
Lost to 1AA state finalist Mount Airy by ten.
Lost to Murphy in the third round.

That appears to be a very good showing. They ran this coach off?!?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
rule of thumb in the Surry county school system has been to hire within if there is a candidate...could very well see either of the 2 mentioned as the next HC but one is already the boys basketball HC and unless he steps down don’t think it’s him...if they go outside, look for one of the neighboring counties

That is such a dumb aspect. Hire the best candidate, period. High Schools need to stop having the good old boy syndrome. Also, word on the street was the individual coaching basketball was just serving as interim as the previous coach posted something he should not have on a social media platform and was forced to step down.

Robbinsville does better wirh local coach. You can look at the stats.

I like the Idea of getting a coach who understands Surry county football, but at the same time if there is an up and coming coach who knows the game and also understands what else comes with being a HC, then I think this is a great opportunity for East Surry to go after a young impressive coach .... NGNighthawks can you tell us more on Honeycutt? Remember him form Glenn HS but dont know much

I like the Idea of getting a coach who understands Surry county football, but at the same time if there is an up and coming coach who knows the game and also understands what else comes with being a HC, then I think this is a great opportunity for East Surry to go after a young impressive coach .... NGNighthawks can you tell us more on Honeycutt? Remember him form Glenn HS but dont know much

OC at Northern. Young ( 25-26 i think ) has a good connection with kids. Real down to earth guy. Will be excellent Head Coach when opportunity happens. Just hope we can keep him for at least one more year.

Wanna know who else would make a good coach. Coach Diamont. So for the next 2 to 3 years, I hope they fall flat on their faces during that time so we can laugh at those responsible for his "Retirement".

After that, then let the best coach be hired.

They already have who they want. Just waiting on the right time to name him. They knew who they wanted before they pulled the trigger on Coach Diamont. Smoke and mirror, dog and pony show. It was all about getting the right people in "the click" in the right places to make the move. If I'm wrong I'll be the first one to admit it and apologize

Honeycutt would be a great hire! Young, passionate, energetic, first-class! Knows the game and the college possibilities after HS.

I can't bout guarantee who the new coach will be....and it won't be somebody that was on this years staff.

Reviewd East Surry record this year. 9-5. Avenged first game loss to East Wilkes in the playoffs.
Lost by one at 4A Ragsdale which won a playoff game.
Lost by four to 2A North Surry which had nine wins.
Lost to 1AA state finalist Mount Airy by ten.
Lost to Murphy in the third round.

That appears to be a very good showing. They ran this coach off?!?
Personally I believe that is underachieving with the talent that they had on the field this year, as a long time fan of the Cards I've seen the best they've had from the 1980's teams to the more recent teams such as the 2001 and 2015 teams and there is no doubt in my mind that this team from top to bottom was more talented than any of them. Two kids from this years senior class have already signed to play at the next level and word on the street has it that 2-5 more are still deciding from this years senior class alone not to mention the 4-6 underclassmen that were already stars and could easily play at the next level if they choose.

There's no way on God's green earth you were beating Tarboro, and Mount Airy was the second best team in the state in 1AA. And because you couldn't beat the second best team in the state in the conference finale, you had to travel to Murphy for a third round game against a perennial contender.

You didn't underachieve, you didn't overachieve, you just achieved. You done what was expected. No more, no less.

After hearing some of the things they have done over the years in regards to coaches such as the softball and baseball coaches, and now football, I'm not so sure I'd want to coach there.

There is one common detonator is this quote... Randy Marion will be your next football coach!

Reactions: ESOD
There's no way on God's green earth you were beating Tarboro, and Mount Airy was the second best team in the state in 1AA. And because you couldn't beat the second best team in the state in the conference finale, you had to travel to Murphy for a third round game against a perennial contender.

You didn't underachieve, you didn't overachieve, you just achieved. You done what was expected. No more, no less.
Where did I say they could have beaten tarboro? But you obviously were not at the MA game in the finale because if you were you would have clearly seen that East was every bit as talented if not more talented than MA. If you had been there you would have seen East physically win the battle in the trenches to the point that MA defenders were just eating offensive linemen’s ankles which ended up slowing and stopping the rushing attack for East but no adjustments were made to take advantage of MA defenders laying on their faces resulting in a 4th quarter comeback for the bears. As for the Murphy game I didn’t make the trip so I won’t comment on that game.

Last edited:
You was fired up playing for a conference championship on your home field. You smacked mount airy in the mouth off the get go. The better team made adjustments. Your adrenaline wore off, And as 48 minutes usually prove, the better team won.

So again not underachieving, just achieving.

I highly doubt Randy Marion will be the next football coach. There are too many ignorant and non-informed people (and I will be the first to say I am far from informed of everything in this situation) on this board. This termination was not about wins & losses, or how someone’s child wasn’t playing or getting enough carries, it was way deeper. There were more than 75% of the parents who were ready for a change and I was one of them. I have yet to come across a player who is sad or upset about the change, they are all ready & excited. I like Coach Diamont as a person, but it was beyond time for a change in football.

I highly doubt Randy Marion will be the next football coach. There are too many ignorant and non-informed people (and I will be the first to say I am far from informed of everything in this situation) on this board. This termination was not about wins & losses, or how someone’s child wasn’t playing or getting enough carries, it was way deeper. There were more than 75% of the parents who were ready for a change and I was one of them. I have yet to come across a player who is sad or upset about the change, they are all ready & excited. I like Coach Diamont as a person, but it was beyond time for a change in football.
I would hope Marion wouldn't be the next coach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will the new coach be the head coach or a puppet on a string. That is my take from what I am reading. Coach Diamont was in total charge and seems some did not like that !

Reactions: truthofda336
Personally I believe that is underachieving with the talent that they had on the field this year, as a long time fan of the Cards I've seen the best they've had from the 1980's teams to the more recent teams such as the 2001 and 2015 teams and there is no doubt in my mind that this team from top to bottom was more talented than any of them. Two kids from this years senior class have already signed to play at the next level and word on the street has it that 2-5 more are still deciding from this years senior class alone not to mention the 4-6 underclassmen that were already stars and could easily play at the next level if they choose.
If you think the 2017 team was more talented than the 2001, 2002 or 2015 teams you’re either a parent with an obvious bias, a player with an unreasonable view of yourself or an absolute moron. This team had some very good players but those other teams were unquestionably better.

I highly doubt Randy Marion will be the next football coach. There are too many ignorant and non-informed people (and I will be the first to say I am far from informed of everything in this situation) on this board. This termination was not about wins & losses, or how someone’s child wasn’t
playing or getting enough carries, it was way deeper. There were more than 75% of the parents who were ready for a change and I was one of them. I have yet to come across a player who is sad or upset about the change, they are all ready & excited. I like Coach Diamont as a person, but it was beyond time for a change in football.

Jealousy is definitely deeper than the above mentioned things. No turning back from the decision that was made. Obviously me and my kid are in the minority but that's not anything new. He's got one more year and he said he'd make the best of it regardless what happened.

If you think the 2017 team was more talented than the 2001, 2002 or 2015 teams you’re either a parent with an obvious bias, a player with an unreasonable view of yourself or an absolute moron. This team had some very good players but those other teams were unquestionably better.
Well I guess I’m just a moron then because I have been watching East Surry football for over 40 years and this is just my opinion based on what I witnessed on the field not necessarily the outcomes of the games just what I believe was the potential that was never reached

You can voice your opinion but all the rest you posted will not be allowed.
Just curious- why are we limiting what people post on a public forum?

Unless it contains profane language or a blatant falsification used to slander someone, I don't understand why comments are policed and edited so often.

Often times, items are deleted that fall in neither category.

Most of the time cyber keyboard warriors cross the line and post something that is slanderous but that the offending party does not see as slanderous.

The moderators are doing a fine job.

I
Most of the time cyber keyboard warriors cross the line and post something that is slanderous but that the offending party does not see as slanderous.

The moderators are doing a fine job.

Cyber keyboard warriors-classic term! We must add it to urban dictionary.

I never said moderators weren't. I have just seen several instances of stuff being removed when it was not slanderous.

I

I never said moderators weren't. I have just seen several instances of stuff being removed when it was not slanderous.
On occasion, it is unsubstantiated rumors that could be damaging to a coach's career. Not every coach who applies for a new job is ready to tell their bosses. It should be their choice to determine the timing.
Contrary to what seems to be the prevailing mindset, we really don't have a right to know everything just because we're curious.

On occasion, it is unsubstantiated rumors that could be damaging to a coach's career. Not every coach who applies for a new job is ready to tell their bosses. It should be their choice to determine the timing.
Contrary to what seems to be the prevailing mindset, we really don't have a right to know everything just because we're curious.
I agree. If someone does not want bosses knowing, simply don't tell anyone at all.

I

I'm not calling you anything. I'm stating that some folks simply do not see the err of their ways. Passing on unsubstantiated rumors, regardless of intent, can cause others harm. Probably the worst rumor always circulates around player transfers. Next thing you know people are claiming that so and so recruits, this coach is shady, this kid is shopping around for a program and so on.

I'm not calling you anything. I'm stating that some folks simply do not see the err of their ways. Passing on unsubstantiated rumors, regardless of intent, can cause others harm. Probably the worst rumor always circulates around player transfers. Next thing you know people are claiming that so and so recruits, this coach is shady, this kid is shopping around for a program and so on.
Oh I know. I did not think you were calling me anything. No worries, trust me.

Reactions: The Lake Man
I agree from an outsiders viewpoint. I saw West Stokes play both this year and Mt Airy was better and if West had not fumbled trying to run the clock out East Surry loses that game. I think the quarterback change was made during this game but I thought it was due to injury. They had different skill sets but both were talented. It should be a good job for someone because they have talent coming up.

Last edited:
There was a quarterback change in that game, due to injury, but they replaced the injured one with the JV quarterback, not the Gosnell kid. I think the original QB will end up making a great tight end or defensive end because of his size. The East Surry job will be a very good because there is a lot of talent there, and even more talent coming up. Change will be GREAT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT