ADVERTISEMENT

East Surry vs Maiden

For those that don't follow the CVAC thread, here is my honest take from there:

There are many ways to build this up, and I believe I'll do so chronologically:

Maiden HC Will Byrne and East Surry HC Trent Lowman are no strangers to football, success, or each other. It seems their paths are bound by fate to intertwine for a lifetime.

Their dads are historic Catawba County coaches. Randy Lowman coached at Bandys for 26 years (1987-2012) and Fred Byrne was Tom Brown's right hand man and defensive guru for many many years (I'm unsure of how long, haven't been able to get that info yet).

Byrne and Lowman were even Shrine Bowl teammates. (According to Chris Hobbs, Hobbs Daily Report)

As coaches, Byrne and Lowman have met 5 times total, 2 of those times as head coaches:

MaidenBandys
Byrne - Asst21201319Lowman - HC
Byrne - Asst21201429Lowman - HC
Byrne - Asst4120150Lowman - HC
Byrne - HC56201640Lowman - HC
Byrne - HC35201721Lowman - HC

Byrne leads the series as Head Coaches 2-0
Lowman has a 1-4 record all-time against Maiden

Their Head Coaching careers are off to historic starts as well:

In his 9th season, Lowman has a career record of 70-39 (64%) and a career playoff record of 13-5 (72% - wow). He spent 5 years at Bandys (23-36 record - 0-3 in playoffs) and is in his 4th season at East Surry with an overall record of 47-6 (89%) - 34-4 in season and 13-2 in playoffs including a 1-2 record in State Championship games.

In his 6th season, Byrne has a career record of 55-14 (80%) - 51-9 in season and a career playoff record of 4-5 (44%). This 4th round game is the deepest Byrne has coached and as deep as Maiden has been since the 2004 season.

Maiden and East Surry, to the best of my knowledge, have only ever met twice. Both games were playoff games and at East Surry. In 2002 Maiden won in the second round 31-6, Byrne's younger brother Mike was a senior that year and I was a freshman, it was one of the coldest games I've ever played in. In 2003 Maiden won in the 1st round 21-12 and I was awarded the "Hit of the Week" honor for that game. Maiden holds the series 2-0 over East Surry.

Currently, Maiden has not won a road playoff game since 2011 at Polk County and East Surry has not lost a home playoff game since 2015 versus Walkertown. Either East Surry finally beats Maiden, or Maiden finally gets a long awaited road playoff win...someone's got to fold.

These current teams are something to behold. Both undefeated and both made it out of a 3rd round matchup that very few saw them winning. Both have an exciting passing offense and stingy defenses.

Round 4MaidenEast Surry
Season PF4051
Season PA79
RS Shutouts33
RS Games <= 8 PA by defense75
Most PA in RS2122
Playoff PF3926
Playoff PA912
PO Shutouts10
PO Games <= 8 PA by defense21
Most PA in PO2020
NCHSAA RPI#3#2
MP 2A West Rank#1#5
MP 2A Rank#1#5
MP State Rank#19#33
MP Rating35.428.1

While most people on here seem to lean towards Maiden being the favorite, I believe the opposite is true. Maiden, figuratively and physically, have a mountain to climb still. East Surry has proven playoff success and are looking for their 4th consecutive year to play in the State Championship game. After 5 years struggling in the playoffs under Coach Byrne, Maiden has finally found their groove.

For both of these teams, as exciting as the offenses are, Defense is king. Neither defenses have faltered all year. The difference in these teams is how the offenses have struggled: Maiden struggled at times during the regular season and are back in stride during the playoffs while East Surry seems to find their offense not as potent in the playoffs as they had been during the regular season. Neither defense has allowed more than 3 scores all season: Maiden on 2 occasions - East Surry 3 times. Both teams have a statement win, both last week against formidable competition.

For Maiden I wonder: Will the lack of deep round playoff experience catch up to them? Will the first test of a true passing team expose the defense at last? Will on and off special teams play be a factor?

For East Surry I wonder: Can their offense find itself again versus the toughest defense they've seen all year? Will their playoff margin of victory that went from 27 points to 17 points to 1 point finally be eclipsed under the weight of a 4th round 2A opponent? Can their Head Coach and Football Team finally get over the Maiden hump?

While the game last week filled me with nervous anticipation, this week I feel nothing by pure excitement. This is what playoff football is all about in a game that is now obvious to me was always meant to be. This will not be the last time these schools, and coaches, will meet in the playoffs (hopefully at Maiden at some point in my lifetime).

Both of these offenses are capable and have shown signs of struggling from time to time. Both of these defenses are gritty, keep plays in front of them, and take great angles. Both of these coaches are in sync with their players and are getting maximum effort. Both of these fan bases will be in full force and at maximum octave on Friday night. In a clean game (no heavy penalties, no turnovers) I believe the difference makers will be Maiden's run game and East Surry's special teams play. In all honesty, this game may be as simple as "which offensive line plays the best".

If you Pilot Mountain boys can slip Barney Fife an extra $20 to keep the stoplights green for the blue wave coming up the road, we'll pay you back when we get there.

Prediction: Maiden by 11 -- Maiden 28 - East Surry 17

Good luck to both teams. Play violent through the whistle and keep your head on a swivel. LET THE SMOKE ROLL!!

Very good post Grizzly. One thing that I noticed about ES is they are a well coached and very disciplined team, they are not going to beat themselves and their line fires off the ball. I could see this game being a low score game but I’ll stick with my prediction MHS34 ESH 17, tight game until the 4th quarter.

WOW, 3 teams matched up in 2A Friday are undefeated and one with 1 loss is #1, Shelby. Could be an undefeated western 2A final. Could East Surry really be one of them, playing at home Friday? I will be keeping up with 1A & 2A Friday If Shelby beats Reidsville, the western finals will be at East Surry being the only undefeated team left in 2A west.
#3 Maiden 13-0 @ #2 East Surry 12-0
#4 Reidsville 12-0 @ #1 Shelby 12-1

WOW, 3 teams matched up in 2A Friday are undefeated and one with 1 loss is #1, Shelby. Could be an undefeated western 2A final. Could East Surry really be one of them, playing at home Friday? I will be keeping up with 1A & 2A Friday If Shelby beats Reidsville, the western finals will be at East Surry being the only undefeated team left in 2A west.
#3 Maiden 13-0 @ #2 East Surry 12-0
#4 Reidsville 12-0 @ #1 Shelby 12-1
East Surry would be at home in the western finals….only if Reidsville wins.

For those that don't follow the CVAC thread, here is my honest take from there:

There are many ways to build this up, and I believe I'll do so chronologically:

Maiden HC Will Byrne and East Surry HC Trent Lowman are no strangers to football, success, or each other. It seems their paths are bound by fate to intertwine for a lifetime.

Their dads are historic Catawba County coaches. Randy Lowman coached at Bandys for 26 years (1987-2012) and Fred Byrne was Tom Brown's right hand man and defensive guru for many many years (I'm unsure of how long, haven't been able to get that info yet).

Byrne and Lowman were even Shrine Bowl teammates. (According to Chris Hobbs, Hobbs Daily Report)

As coaches, Byrne and Lowman have met 5 times total, 2 of those times as head coaches:

MaidenBandys
Byrne - Asst21201319Lowman - HC
Byrne - Asst21201429Lowman - HC
Byrne - Asst4120150Lowman - HC
Byrne - HC56201640Lowman - HC
Byrne - HC35201721Lowman - HC

Byrne leads the series as Head Coaches 2-0
Lowman has a 1-4 record all-time against Maiden

Their Head Coaching careers are off to historic starts as well:

In his 9th season, Lowman has a career record of 70-39 (64%) and a career playoff record of 13-5 (72% - wow). He spent 5 years at Bandys (23-36 record - 0-3 in playoffs) and is in his 4th season at East Surry with an overall record of 47-6 (89%) - 34-4 in season and 13-2 in playoffs including a 1-2 record in State Championship games.

In his 6th season, Byrne has a career record of 55-14 (80%) - 51-9 in season and a career playoff record of 4-5 (44%). This 4th round game is the deepest Byrne has coached and as deep as Maiden has been since the 2004 season.

Maiden and East Surry, to the best of my knowledge, have only ever met twice. Both games were playoff games and at East Surry. In 2002 Maiden won in the second round 31-6, Byrne's younger brother Mike was a senior that year and I was a freshman, it was one of the coldest games I've ever played in. In 2003 Maiden won in the 1st round 21-12 and I was awarded the "Hit of the Week" honor for that game. Maiden holds the series 2-0 over East Surry.

Currently, Maiden has not won a road playoff game since 2011 at Polk County and East Surry has not lost a home playoff game since 2015 versus Walkertown. Either East Surry finally beats Maiden, or Maiden finally gets a long awaited road playoff win...someone's got to fold.

These current teams are something to behold. Both undefeated and both made it out of a 3rd round matchup that very few saw them winning. Both have an exciting passing offense and stingy defenses.

Round 4MaidenEast Surry
Season PF4051
Season PA79
RS Shutouts33
RS Games <= 8 PA by defense75
Most PA in RS2122
Playoff PF3926
Playoff PA912
PO Shutouts10
PO Games <= 8 PA by defense21
Most PA in PO2020
NCHSAA RPI#3#2
MP 2A West Rank#1#5
MP 2A Rank#1#5
MP State Rank#19#33
MP Rating35.428.1

While most people on here seem to lean towards Maiden being the favorite, I believe the opposite is true. Maiden, figuratively and physically, have a mountain to climb still. East Surry has proven playoff success and are looking for their 4th consecutive year to play in the State Championship game. After 5 years struggling in the playoffs under Coach Byrne, Maiden has finally found their groove.

For both of these teams, as exciting as the offenses are, Defense is king. Neither defenses have faltered all year. The difference in these teams is how the offenses have struggled: Maiden struggled at times during the regular season and are back in stride during the playoffs while East Surry seems to find their offense not as potent in the playoffs as they had been during the regular season. Neither defense has allowed more than 3 scores all season: Maiden on 2 occasions - East Surry 3 times. Both teams have a statement win, both last week against formidable competition.

For Maiden I wonder: Will the lack of deep round playoff experience catch up to them? Will the first test of a true passing team expose the defense at last? Will on and off special teams play be a factor?

For East Surry I wonder: Can their offense find itself again versus the toughest defense they've seen all year? Will their playoff margin of victory that went from 27 points to 17 points to 1 point finally be eclipsed under the weight of a 4th round 2A opponent? Can their Head Coach and Football Team finally get over the Maiden hump?

While the game last week filled me with nervous anticipation, this week I feel nothing by pure excitement. This is what playoff football is all about in a game that is now obvious to me was always meant to be. This will not be the last time these schools, and coaches, will meet in the playoffs (hopefully at Maiden at some point in my lifetime).

Both of these offenses are capable and have shown signs of struggling from time to time. Both of these defenses are gritty, keep plays in front of them, and take great angles. Both of these coaches are in sync with their players and are getting maximum effort. Both of these fan bases will be in full force and at maximum octave on Friday night. In a clean game (no heavy penalties, no turnovers) I believe the difference makers will be Maiden's run game and East Surry's special teams play. In all honesty, this game may be as simple as "which offensive line plays the best".

If you Pilot Mountain boys can slip Barney Fife an extra $20 to keep the stoplights green for the blue wave coming up the road, we'll pay you back when we get there.

Prediction: Maiden by 11 -- Maiden 28 - East Surry 17

Good luck to both teams. Play violent through the whistle and keep your head on a swivel. LET THE SMOKE ROLL!!
East Surry by a TD. It will take a Reidsville or Shelby to beat them and that may not happen at East Surry. That stadium will be full of ES supporters. Tough place to win this deep.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
  • Love
I would say some fans from other schools will come up to see this game. Unfortunately I want be able to make this one due to family coming in. But I will keep up with the updates of the games. I definitely will make it next week for rd 5.

Last edited:
There is a good sized parking lot at football stadium, another parking lot that is created in the practice field beside of the stadium. There is more parking on the other side of the school where the gym & baseball fields are. There is no way this crowd ends up bigger than ES/MA matchups, ES/Mitchell from 2 years ago. ES has a very good sized stadium and can be a tough place to play deep in the playoffs. The past few years they have been able to draw all of Surry/Stokes county as well because Mount Airy was eliminated by this round normally.

Itll be on 100.9 WIFM for those that can't make it. Hands down the best radio coverage of high school sports in our area. You can pick em up on the dial and streaming

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Best of Luck East Surry. I think you have it in the bag !
The only bag they'll have is the body bag they're about to be put in....

...in all serious this should be a great game and I believe East Surry has what it takes to go all the way. But so do our Blue Devils.

My mind says: this is a dead even game that could go either way.

My heart says: Blue Devils win, close or not.

My gut says: ES scores no more than once. Blue Devil defense is just too good. We score 4 times or more.

I always follow my mind. East hasn't gotten this far by luck. It'll be a battle. Go Big Blue. Let the Smoke Roll.

Tip of the cap to the …”Chips off the ole Block”!
Randy’s boy and Fred’s boy….Trent and Will.
Congratulations to each one….getting this far ain’t easy…..I’m sure your Dads will agree!😉 Good luck tonight and may the best team win!

I’m taking the Boom Devils in a thriller!

Y’all go on and get that 50-50 ready…I’ll be picking it up around the start of the 4th quarter!😜…as “TD-FridayNight” says…
It’s in the bag! 😂

Safe travels to all the fine folks from Maiden. Hopefully you'll enjoy your time in our community. You will see some of the finest young men that we have to offer. I'm expecting a good hard fought game from both teams. Regardless what anyone says nobody is here by accident or dumb luck. I'm glad that we're still in the mix after moving up to 2A. My heart tells me itll be close with East Surry pulling out a one score win. Win lose or draw it's still a great day to be a Cardinal!!

Go Big Red
#27Forever

This game will be earned by either or . Both of these teams are battle ready for anyone . Safe travel maiden crowd , pilot gonna be rockin tonite .Good luck to MA also , guys gonna be tested tonite .

I’m going to miss good one. But I will keep up with it. It’s Better to be there in person watching the game. Next week I will make it to a game.

• Love
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT