ADVERTISEMENT

East Surry @ Murphy

mbdfan

Mar 17, 2007
'Dogs may be coming into this one a little banged up, thoughts?

Everyone is this time of year tho. All I know is we may not be the biggest, the fastest, most athletic bunch but every Friday you can count on those young men playing their hearts out. Glad to still be playing. Look forward to the trip next Friday.

Go Big Red!!

Reactions: NC nole fan
but I'll never forget that game in the third round in 2001. ES came to the Hill and knocked off one of the most talented Murphy teams in recent memory, 17-13. RB Chris Griggs was a load, and a stout ES defense held Murphy four times from inside the five yard line in the final minutes to preserve the win. One of the biggest upsets I can remember and denied a would be game for the ages the following week at the Hill against TA McClendon and Albemarle.
That Murphy team was a shell of itself at the point. No Hetzel (transfer), Allen (transfer), McKeon (did not play) or Colbert (injury) before the season even started and then Kent gets hurt very early in the season (along with a couple more in season injuries to starters) which causes a positional shift on offense that takes JC Brown from wingback to quarterback and Kent from quarterback to wide receiver. If that Murphy team doesn't suffer so much attrition they would've been one of Murphy's very best and could've give Albemarle a real game, but so it goes..

Fightn4, I am sure Murphy is hungry for the ‘ship. But a big challenge next Fri. only gets them to Mt. Airy,
The bears will be a real load, at home, & their style matches well with Murphy,

Both teams are battle tested, and both teams are well coached which should make for a great game....I remember that 2001 Murphy team as my Tigers battled them toe-to-toe that year at the Hill before losing 18-13 on a late 4th quarter INT inside Murphy's 30 yard line which sealed the fate of my Tigers that night....My nephew was a LBer on that Rosman team that year that later beat 2nd seeded Elkin in the first year of the split-class 1A state championships and narrowly lost to Swain County in Bryson City in the 3rd round(21-20) as Michael Watson blocked a Tiger FG and extra point in that game, and Swain used a late halfback pass to provide the difference....The SMC was a Bear that year as Hayesville was tough with a very talented backfield as was Cherokee and their QB Kirkland and a big RB Toineeta(I think?)....Swain won the state 1A title that year, and the Bulldogs were loaded with talent as mentioned above with Kent,Brown, Allen, and had a big ole' FB in Dockery who is now the Head Coach of the Hayesville Yellowjackets....Hard to believe that it's been 16 years since that season....

As for the game this week, I of course will be rooting for the Bulldogs and Coach Gentry to continue their current playoff run, but have a lot of respect for what Coach Diamont has accomplished in Pilot Mountain for the Cardinals...Two Coaching Legends for sure!

Looking forward to this one , guess im gonna make the trip , might even bring a rod and reel. After seeing both teams this year i am expecting a real good game. This cards team is pretty dog gone good, ray kid is as good as what you seen in stanly county friday night. Slippery as snot on a farmers hankerchief coming straight out of his back pocket on a winters day. Rumor has it hes heading to princeton next year not chapel hill so he can read the play book ( lol ) . Dawgs are real good , cards will deff have there hands full , but i do see upset potential in this one. Ole yhea Esod , i will see if i can keep the cardinal coaching staff ( the ones in the stands / me included ) in check

Reactions: ESOD
I hope East Surry reps the NWC well. Im super impressed with the strides that the offense has made. Gotta get that D in shutdown mode, now. Murphy presents some challenges that EW did not. Mainly a defense with a pulse. EW defense certainly didn't have a pulse the last few games. On that note my prediction is Murphy 40..East Surry 21.

Looking forward to this one , guess im gonna make the trip , might even bring a rod and reel. After seeing both teams this year i am expecting a real good game. This cards team is pretty dog gone good, ray kid is as good as what you seen in stanly county friday night. Slippery as snot on a farmers hankerchief coming straight out of his back pocket on a winters day. Rumor has it hes heading to princeton next year not chapel hill so he can read the play book ( lol ) . Dawgs are real good , cards will deff have there hands full , but i do see upset potential in this one. Ole yhea Esod , i will see if i can keep the cardinal coaching staff ( the ones in the stands / me included ) in check

Lol y'all are fine, the loud grape farmer just grates on my nerves. It's all good tho. We're all in it together. Like family is supposed to be. Looking forward to the trip on Friday.

Reactions: gdawg74
East by 3 in a shootout. Both defenses need to tighten up a bit after seeing the scoreboard from last weeks games. Murphy will not be the best team the cards have seen this year as the cards arent the best the dawgs have played, wont be no surprises in the quality of team each one sees in each other. Been there done that!!

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
ray kid is as good as what you seen in stanly county friday night.
I'm sure the Ray kid is a very good back but I seriously doubt that statement. The Davis kid for North is the best back Murphy has seen in a quite a while, not just this season.

Reactions: Griddie
Davis is the best rb Murphy has seen in a long time. You know hes a great player when the entire Murphy crowd is holding their breath everytime he touched the ball. I for one was extremely happy he wasn't able to field the 2 punts when we did have to punt. That could have easily been 2 punt returns for tds.

We will talk more about it sat morning Mbd and griddie , Princeton dont play on saturday? I bet they play on sat and that ivy league degree plays 7 days a week and well over 200 grand a year in the game of life. Just sayin

Well great, I'm happy for the kid and Princeton obviously is a great university and plays on Saturday yes. So that's awesome. But sorry, he's not in the same class of RB as Davis. Just a fact. Davis is just something to watch. Like the previous Murphy poster said, every time he touched the ball you held your breath. He's that dangerous a running back.

Like i said we will talk about it sat morning, we will leave it at that.
There's really nothing else to say. I've seen both play, Ray is a very very good running back. But Davis will be one of the top players in the state next year regardless of the classification. I'm not slighting Ray at all, but it is what it is. If you watch that one run versus Murphy on that link I posted and can't tell, then sorry brother. 2,588 yards and 37 TDs speak for itself, and it's been a long time since I've seen a back run like that against a Murphy defense. Ray could have similar stats, I don't know. And he's one of the best backs in 1A. But talent wise, Davis is just a special player.

Nowhere near those stats , multiple threats to run , a bit more balanced with the gosnell kid back there. He does what he needs to do , i guess if he touched the ball every play the stats would be better. Not knocking the davis kid at all, just expressing my opinion. Schedule plays alot in how yhea look as well , North Stanly didnt play the schedule east played. West Montgomery in the third round in an eastern bracket thats two teams deep, North Rowan?? They got beat by polk and to be quiet honest the Bears could have hung a hundred on polk. East Surry schedule was brutal. Who cares whos better than who, the cards have played some dang good football teams this year. Murphy wont be the best team the cards have seen, and the cards wont be the best team the dogs have seen, but they are better than north stanly and i guarantee they show up , nobody gives them a chance. Ive seen both teams this year , yhea i made the 4 hour trip to watch them play a little league team from south carolina. I base my opinion not out of my rear end but on what ive seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: ESOD
That's a pretty bold statement that they aren't the best team East Surry has played all year. I don' think I'd be putting that up there just yet. And I do understand you played Ragsdale and give you credit for that, as well as Mount Airy. And just so you know, Davis carried the ball just over 200 times, and 27 of those came against Murphy. So I'd hardly say he touched the ball every play. NS had a some playmakers besides just him.

Reactions: mbdfan
I know one thing, Murphy definitely won't be taking the cards lightly. This game is huge for both teams. One game closer to the title game. Im sure East Surry would love to have another shot at Mt. Airy. Murphy will be ready to play, just as East Surry will be. Im just glad this one is at home.

No better place for a friday night playoff football game than one played at the hill. Agree 100 percent Mhs-88. Griddie / not a bold statement, based on what i seen, its my opinion but we all know opinions are like and everybody has one. If you think the cards dont have a chance how bout this , i will meet you at the hill , we will set together , talk a little smack and let you buy me a cup of coffee walking out the gate while im laughing and saying I TOLD YHEA SO.

I'm a little reserved on this one , I don't know enough about the Cards other than they have played some good teams this season . I'm glad we get to play at home on black Friday in I'm sure the black on black unis that only come out for special occasions.

Bad teams don't make it this far so I'm expecting a good one and hope we come out on top. GL to the Cards

Reactions: gdawg74
Anyone notice anything different about the endzones when we played S Stanly? I hope we get some paint this week......

ES is as well coached and fundamentally sound as coach as you will see. Diamont is a great coach. ES has great kids that play hard. Not overly athletic but good size and strong. As previously said, Ray is a heck of a back. Runs hard, good vision, good speed.

I’m not sure where I said ES has no chance. I’ve seen Diamont coached teams play through the years and I would never count them out. I just think Murphy is the better team. I won’t be at this game. I’m not from Murphy. My opinions on Ray and Davis are by seeing them both in person and video. I will do this though. If East Surry wins I will gladly meet you in Mount Airy the following Friday and eat some bbq and the meal is on me. And I will go pull for the Cards as well. It’s all in fun on here and playoffs is what it’s all about

Reactions: gdawg74 and ESOD
How bout this griddie, if mount airy wins , thats a if , no matter who wins in murphy on friday night we will still meet up for that bbq. Its always just for fun , we got to get this board back to the good ole days . Been dead up in here the last couple years. :-/

Deal. But I got the tab if East Surry wins. I’m a man of my word and it makes it even more fun. Now Bessemer City, don’t mess this up lol!

Mount Airy fans will have to direct me to the best BBQ though. Unless you know because I have no clue

I am actually a Mt Airy fan, East Surry right there equally as well . Had 1 daughter graduate from east surry ( played a little tennis there ) and one a junior. Bbq aint the best bet in my opinion but a little burger / hot dog spot close to the school called the Dairy Center. Been there since the 50's. Bbq aint to bad either, maybe esod can meet us there to. But the bears gotta take care of buisness for that to happen.

Favorite time of year boys , ole bareman knows those hot dogs are hard to beat, best chilli on the planet. Coconut pineapple ice cream = ALL TIME FAVORITE. Looking foward to making the trip to see the cards and dogs, hows the phone service on the hill, gotta have wpaq and ole bareman in the ear to keep tabs on the bears as well

Favorite time of year boys , ole bareman knows those hot dogs are hard to beat, best chilli on the planet. Coconut pineapple ice cream = ALL TIME FAVORITE. Looking foward to making the trip to see the cards and dogs, hows the phone service on the hill, gotta have wpaq and ole bareman in the ear to keep tabs on the bears as well

Cell service is fine.

Freddie Hiatt would throw all us goons outta there lol!!! Not gonna count Cardinals before they hatch, we have a Hill to climb this Friday first. Like a good friend of mine has always told me, it ain't nothin but a hill for a climber. I'm not gonna write checks with my mouth on here that my son and his buddies will have to cash for me. All I know is there's just gonna be 8 teams happy at the end of the season, I hope we're one of em.

Go Big Red!!

Interesting Statistic

When the Cards and Bulldogs square off this Friday, there will be over 600 coaching wins on the field between Coach Diamont and Coach Gentry. Pretty cool and a testimate to them and their programs. Word around Pilot Mountain is they are rolling up the sidewalks and bringing everyone to the hill on Friday. Should be a great game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT