ADVERTISEMENT

East Carteret

Piratedad you might not have seen the end of Voyager. Although they were mostly seniors it looks like there may be more talent coming. I looked up their jv team and saw were they went 14-0 and had a three or four big freshman kids. Those kids might still grow some more.
I also noticed that another team from that conference made it to the fourth round. Must be a lot of talent in that area.

East season ended last night with a 74-63 loss to Voyager. The mariners finished 26-3 and won their 6th straight CPC title. East lost just six games the last three years. They also made the regionals five straight years.
One thing that could not happen was east get their main players in foul trouble. Both De'Shaun Johnson and Jack Garrison got two in the 1st quarter which east led 12-10. Two min. in the 2nd quarter De'Shaun got his 3rd. East went from two down to down thirteen at the half 37-24. That's the ballgame. The last two quarters east outscored Voyager 39-37.
I must say Voyager also got in foul trouble but not to their big man or their very good pg. I would say it heiped Voyager in the 2nd. Their starting guard picked up his 2nd foul Voyager brought in a kid who made four baskets including three 3's.
In the third Johnson got his fourth and Voyager opened up a 21 point lead. The mariners started to press and gamble and cut the lead to nine in the fourth quarter. East had two three point attempts when down by nine but neither fell. IF either fell the gym roof might have blew off.
Voyager is a very talented team. I picked them to win the state but after seeing them live maybe not. They must keep Huff and Greene in the game if not there won't be as many opened shots or a 6'11 defender in the middle. I didn't think they handled the east press that well. East turned them over and got back in the game. But the bottom line is they are very good.
Good luck to the 1-A schools left. IMO it will be Prep vs. Voyager. That should be a good game. They will have a tough act to follow having watched the last two years of Prep and East. I was really hoping we could do it one more time.
Great job mariners and to Coach Anderson and Patrick. These last five years have been something to watch. It won't be long for summer ball and next season is just around the corner. I can already hear the shoes squeaking.

Don't Count this years Lincoln Charter team out there deadly in the west. Prep freshman Guard is a stud maybe even will be a top talent eventually.

Lincoln Charter will be tough, but if they don't win it this year, they will still have at least 2 more shots it looks like. Most of their core is freshmen and sophomores.

Maybe in my lifetime the prep and charter schools will have their own division and the traditional 1A schools won't have to contend with the inherent disadvantages that the prep and charter schools present.... It's not out of the question to say that East has been the best traditional 1A basketball team in the state for the last 4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT