ADVERTISEMENT

East Carteret

marinersgold

Jan 26, 2014
The mariners held a 81-60 lead over Havelock with 5:35 left in the game but held off a furious Havelock Rally for a 93-90 win. The game played @east was the first loss for the 3-A Rams.
After a basket gave east a 21 pt lead the rams started hitting 3rs and with east dribbling to much started turning the ball over.
Havelock was led by Kyran Bowman who had to have around 40 pts. This kid must be a top five player in public school.
The mariners continue stepping up Monday against 4-A Wilmington New Hanover @ east. Havelock will play 2-A power Kinston Monday @ east. On Tuesday the losers will play followed by the winners. There should be some great basketball in those four games.

Good luck Mariners!

ECHS plays the second game tonight.

You have to hand it to Coach Anderson and the Mariners to schedule such a high level tournament; a 14 time 4A State Champion, a 3A regional finalist from last year and a 2A school that has won the last 3 or 4 state championships.

Coach Anderson is indeed serious about allowing his team to play the very best in order to give them the best chance to be back at regionals in March.

East led New Hanover 57-42 after 3. East suffered the same fate as last game as New Hanover pressed and east turned it over and took quick shots. The wildcats led 64-61 with 10 seconds left but east hit a three to tie the game.
East then got a break when Hew Hanover missed the front of a one and one forcing OT. East controlled the final 3 min to win 77-70.
East now face Havelock after the rams beat Kinston 69-54 in the first game. The East ,Havelock game will follow the KInston/New Hanover game.

What a game. Hanover pressed pretty much the whole game and just like the Havelock game from a few nights ago I felt we tried to dribble out the clock instead of working the ball around with passing . The Mariners have a huge heart . 3A Havelock is gonna be a tough win twice in a row for us ( I believe they are the favorite in the East in 3A ) but I feel we have the advantage in Edward R. Murrell Gymnasium.... .

Reactions: gfm4343
Sounds like the Mariners NEED to keep the pedal to the floor, rather than trying to nurse a big 4th qtr lead.... Of course, if you keep shooting and they don't fall, you are criticized for not burning clock.... Good luck tonight Mariners!

Reactions: PirateDad17
East beats Havelock in another thriller 54-53. The mariners take the title in a slug fest with key players fouling out in the fourth quarter. These teams will meet again in feb.@ Havelock.
In the first game New Hanover won over Kinston 69-49.

Not
Sounds like the Mariners NEED to keep the pedal to the floor, rather than trying to nurse a big 4th qtr lead.... Of course, if you keep shooting and they don't fall, you are criticized for not burning clock.... Good luck tonight Mariners!

Big win over Havelock who is gonna be a 3A contender. This Mariner team is all heart . . As much as 1A basketball wanted to believe we lost all that scoring and talent we simply reloaded with a new style of defense rebounding shot blocking and dribble drive scoring . That state championship trophy is staying in Beaufort .

East Carteret defeated conference foe Northside 90-51@ East. The mariners led 55-21 at the half.
All that dressed got to play in the second half. With the win East improves to 2-0 in conference and 10-1 over
all.
The mariners play @ Lejeune Wed.

East wins a conference game over Bear Grass Aca. 94-49 @ East.
Mariners improve to 4-0 & 12-1.

Mariners win @ Pamlico 80-42.
East improves to 5-0 & 13-1.
East will play Monday against West Brunswick @ Union HS. The 3-A Trojans come in with a 10-3 record.

Last edited:
An exciting game . That # 10 for West Brunswick is probably the best shooting guard I've seen in a long time. Our attention to defense was the difference in this game along with the inside dominance of De'Saun Johnson and Brennan Lewis . So we have beaten the 3A #10 team Havelock twice and # 15 West Brunswick , the 4A # 9 team New Hanover once , as well as # 28 Hoggard . We are 9-1 overall against 2A 3A and 4A with that one hiccup against Northside J=Ville . Not bad for the team that " lost " so much talent and yes we did but they left a legacy . I said it before and I'm saying it again. We are a different style but just as good . That trophy stays in North River again this year!!

The East @ Jones Senior has been moved to 2-4. To make room for that game the @ Havelock game has been moved to Saturday 1-30.
The Mariners will have two straight weeks of 3 games per week and will play Jones twice in six days.

The Mariners edged Northside(Pinetown) 76-71 to improve to 7-0/16-1.
East travels Saturday to face the #9 3-A Havelock Rams @ Havelock. The Rams lead the 3-A coastal with a 8-0/15-3 record. Two of those three loses came at East by a total of four points.
The Rams have been waiting for this rematch and having not lost a home game will be fired up. East will have to play maybe their best game to date to have a chance at a win.
Good luck Mariners!

Reactions: gdawg74
East loses @ Havelock in a foul plagued game 92-78. The Rams led just about the whole game but it was tight. Entering the 4th the Rams led by six. Just 16 sec. in the 4th F Deshawn Johnson fouled out followed closely by Garrison and Willis. The Rams lost two players in the 4th to fouls. Havelock is very big and very good. IMO they have a good chance at going to Chapel Hill.
On a side note Easts 6'4" center Brennan Lewis did not play. The Mariners record setting QB is on his "Offical" to ODU. They have offered and told Brennan he can also play baseball.

Last edited:
The Mariners over Lejeune 85-29 @ East.
Mariners are 8-0/17-2.
Big game Thursday with the #2 East Carteret vs #11 Jones Senior @ Jones.

Last edited:
Reactions: SOBX COACH
East 26 Jones 14 end of 1st.
East 47 Jones 28 at the half
East 67 Jones 48 end of 3rd
East 87 Jones 64 Final

The Mariners are 9-0/18-2.

Last edited:
Mariners finally have a HOME game... with a very good Jones Senior team coming in. I'm sure the Trojans are looking for some redemption after getting throttled a bit last week by East. Mariners put a 40+ home game winning streak on the line twice this week; first with Jones and Friday night with Pamlico. Tonight and Friday night should be good ones!

Pamlico @ east moved to Thursday with the mariners winning uninspired 72-69. East will have to play much better to advance in the playoffs.
East finishes the regular season 12-0 & 21-2.

Who is EC playing tonight? I know Jones/Pamlico are in the semi's on the other side...

it will be East vs Pamlico in girls and boys for the CPC tournament titles.
The games on Friday will be at Southside.
Good luck to the Mariner boys and the Lady Mariners.

East defeated research Triangle in round 1 86-35.
The playoffs starting Thursday will get much tougher when Wallace R-H comes to East.

There should be a big crowd tonite when the Whiteville Wolfpack travels to East for a 3rd round game. Whiteville has a big and talented team. This should be a highly contested game.
The Mariners need to keep their head in this game because if they don't, that huge storm that might head down highway 70 won't matter.

Good luck Mariners!

Voyager at East and the @ East is about the only advantage along with coach Anderson
East will have.
Voyager is big,long and very talented. They have a point guard that can get anywhere and anytime on the court. Voyager have very good shooters so you need to stay close to them. Now if that's not bad enough they have a 6'6 kid inside plus a 6'11 PF who scores and controls the defensive board. That's just the starters,they have talent coming off the bench.
How do you play them? East will have to play their best game all around of the year. The Mariners can't afford to get behind early like they have the last two games. East will have to shoot the ball very well because there won't be to many scores inside. I would think East would like to limit Voyager offensive rebounding so maybe East could get some run outs. If East has to play against a set defense all night it could be a long one.
On defense pick your poison. If you play man and their pg(Greene) gets inside for a pass or shoot,you are in trouble. If you play zone and try to keep the ball from their bigs then there shooters will be open. I'm guessing East will try to mix it up on D and see what works better.
I know this sounds doom and gloom but that's what the Mariners are facing. Can East win this game ? Yes they can but but a lot of things have to go right.
IMO the keys are if East can control the defensive boards and get some run outs plus shoot well they have a chance.
There are always things that happen during the game that changes everything. Turnovers and foul trouble and how the game is called all can change the flow and have a huge impact.
Who is going to win? IMHO I think to many things have to go East's way to win. Their margin of error is smaller than Voyagers. I think Voyager wins and I also think Voyager wins the state.
I'll be at East pulling hard for the Mariners Tuesday night. As we all know the game is played on the court and not on paper. You just never know!

Go Mariners!!

Not surprisingly, you are making the same prediction that was made last year when Voyager came to Fayetteville to play Northside and Edrice "Bam Bam" Adebayo.The same Northside that our Mariners were 7 - 0 against. The truth is that Voyager comes in with the same 1A Charter school advantage that we have grown accustomed to seeing in the playoffs. We've handled our business so far this season against all comers including New Hanover and Havelock who are still playing in 3A/4A. I have a different take on the game tomorrow night . I'm not downplaying Voyager and it's not meant to be a slight. They played neither Wallace or Whiteville. Both were lightning fast. The Mariners correct the shooting whoa's we had in the first quarters of each game and we travel to Fayetteville on Saturday.

PirateDad you are right. I think East surprised most people by the hot start they got. The Mariners played one of the toughest non-conference schedule in 1-A and lost two games.
IMO the only difference with East now is their outside shooting. East will always play hard under coach Anderson there's no doubt about that. I agree with you if East shoots the ball like they did most of the season they will be hard to beat by any 1-A team.
I'll be there as always pulling hard for my mariners. I don't have anything to do this week-end so a trip to Fayetteville to watch the mariners is fine with me.
I always enjoy your posts.

Good luck Mariners!!

PirateDad you are right. I think East surprised most people by the hot start they got. The Mariners played one of the toughest non-conference schedule in 1-A and lost two games.
IMO the only difference with East now is their outside shooting. East will always play hard under coach Anderson there's no doubt about that. I agree with you if East shoots the ball like they did most of the season they will be hard to beat by any 1-A team.
I'll be there as always pulling hard for my mariners. I don't have anything to do this week-end so a trip to Fayetteville to watch the mariners is fine with me.
I always enjoy your posts.

Good luck Mariners!!
I guess it wasn't to be this season. We just couldn't get the ball to drop and the refs called the game so close on both teams . After two playoff games of non existent whistles they made up for it tonight, and both teams were in foul trouble early in the first half. Congratulations to Voyager, taking the charter school advantage to new heights. We will be back. 47 home games in a row isn't bad.Now if we could just convince Dr. Dan Novey to move Carteret County into an open enrollment school system we might be able to compete with the big city boys .....

Last edited:
East season ended last night with a 74-63 loss to Voyager. The mariners finished 26-3 and won their 6th straight CPC title. East lost just six games the last three years. They also made the regionals five straight years.
One thing that could not happen was east get their main players in foul trouble. Both De'Shaun Johnson and Jack Garrison got two in the 1st quarter which east led 12-10. Two min. in the 2nd quarter De'Shaun got his 3rd. East went from two down to down thirteen at the half 37-24. That's the ballgame. The last two quarters east outscored Voyager 39-37.
I must say Voyager also got in foul trouble but not to their big man or their very good pg. I would say it heiped Voyager in the 2nd. Their starting guard picked up his 2nd foul Voyager brought in a kid who made four baskets including three 3's.
In the third Johnson got his fourth and Voyager opened up a 21 point lead. The mariners started to press and gamble and cut the lead to nine in the fourth quarter. East had two three point attempts when down by nine but neither fell. IF either fell the gym roof might have blew off.
Voyager is a very talented team. I picked them to win the state but after seeing them live maybe not. They must keep Huff and Greene in the game if not there won't be as many opened shots or a 6'11 defender in the middle. I didn't think they handled the east press that well. East turned them over and got back in the game. But the bottom line is they are very good.
Good luck to the 1-A schools left. IMO it will be Prep vs. Voyager. That should be a good game. They will have a tough act to follow having watched the last two years of Prep and East. I was really hoping we could do it one more time.
Great job mariners and to Coach Anderson and Patrick. These last five years have been something to watch. It won't be long for summer ball and next season is just around the corner. I can already hear the shoes squeaking.

Reactions: coach1530
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT