ADVERTISEMENT

Early look at some top 4A teams for the playoffs

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
Playoffs are around the corner. The playoffs definitely going to be brutal but will be very exciting to watch and keep up with. Here is a list of records the teams I have listed. I didn’t list as they are ranked. But just give an general idea of how tough the 4A playoffs is going to be.

East Forsyth 8-0.
New Bern 9-0
Grimsley 8-0.
Hillside 8-0.
Apex 8-0
Mallard Creek 6-2
Hough 6-2
Chambers 6-2
Cardinal Gibbons 6-2
Weddington 7-1
Wake Forest 7-1
Mooresville 7-1
Butler 8-1
Charlotte Catholic 6-2
New Hanover 7-1
Millbrook 7-1
Olympic 8-0
Mt Tabor 7-1
Rolesville 6-2
Cox Mill 6-2
Hickory Ridge 5-3
NW Guilford 6-2
Independence 7-1
AC Reynolds 7-1
Ardrey Kell 7-1
Holly Springs 7-1
Watauga 7-1

Last edited:
when you look at it in that context its really impressive what alot of teams have done, teams are going to have to run the gauntlet to win it

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Playoffs are around the corner. The playoffs definitely going to be brutal but will be very exciting to watch and keep up with. Here is a list of records the teams I have listed. I didn’t list as they are ranked. But just give an general idea of how tough the 4A playoffs is going to be.

East Forsyth 8-0.
New Bern 9-0
Grimsley 8-0.
Hillside 8-0.
Apex 8-0
Mallard Creek 6-2
Hough 6-2
Chambers 6-2
Cardinal Gibbons 6-2
Weddington 7-1
Wake Forest 7-1
Mooresville 7-1
Butler 8-1
Charlotte Catholic 6-2
New Hanover 7-1
Millbrook 7-1
Olympic 8-0
Mt Tabor 7-1
Rolesville 6-2
Cox Mill 6-2
Hickory Ridge 5-3
NW Guilford 6-2
Independence 7-1
AC Reynolds 7-1
Ardrey Kell 7-1
Holly Springs 7-1
Watauga 7-1
In the east there are 3 teams. NB, WF, and CG. Big drop off below them. Rolesville and NH right below them. Apex and HS has beaten no one and their schedule is well below average.

In the east there are 3 teams. NB, WF, and CG. Big drop off below them. Rolesville and NH right below them. Apex and HS has beaten no one and their schedule is well below average.
HS beat Rolesville by 15. HS also beat Dudley who was #1 in the 3A east at the time . RPI has them #2 in the east. If they beat SA they'll jump Wake Forest and be #1 in the east.

HS is Holly Springs, not Hillside. Also, not sure Hillside jumps WF if WF beats Millbrook.
It's going to be interesting because the math has Hillside jumping should they and Wake Forest win. Southern Alamance is #8 with an RPI of .63765 and Millbrook is #14 with an RPI of .61065. That's a significant gap compared to Hillside at .71464 and Wake Forest at .71944 who are separated by just .0048. The final margin will be close but the loss to CG looks like it will be the difference. This is all a mute point if both lose, which I know you're rooting for because it will push New Bern to #1

It's going to be interesting because the math has Hillside jumping should they and Wake Forest win. Southern Alamance is #8 with an RPI of .63765 and Millbrook is #14 with an RPI of .61065. That's a significant gap compared to Hillside at .71464 and Wake Forest at .71944 who are separated by just .0048. The final margin will be close but the loss to CG looks like it will be the difference. This is all a mute point if both lose, which I know you're rooting for because it will push New Bern to #1
OOWP carries a lot of weight as well, so you have to depend on other teams winning, not just your team. I'm fine with NB at 3, honestly. Keep WF/CG at the top of the bracket and only play 1 of those 2.

Are they doing the 4A, 4AA split again this season, with a state champion from each group? If so, will East Forsyth and New Bern likely be in the same bracket?

EAST BUSTING THAT ASS THEY 4A ,THEY DON'T PLAY 2A TEAMS FOR NON-CONFERENCE GAMES.
Lol. It's a County Rival game that's been played for decades. It hasn't hindered us from winning 3 state titles since 2007 with them on the schedule. Don't forget about the 4A/5A schools we've played.

• Haha
Reactions: NU2TSO NY
Are they doing the 4A, 4AA split again this season, with a state champion from each group? If so, will East Forsyth and New Bern likely be in the same bracket?
No splits, just like last year. 4 total state champions (1A,2A,3A,4A). EF will be placed in the West bracket with New Bern in the East.

Lol. It's a County Rival game that's been played for decades. It hasn't hindered us from winning 3 state titles since 2007 with them on the schedule. Don't forget about the 4A/5A schools we've played.
no need for that talk nu2tso.

Last edited by a moderator:
We played Hillside every year from 2010/2011 until a few years ago. 4A New Hanover is on the schedule. 5A Maury out of Richmond is on the schedule. We tried to play Gibbons the past few years but their schedule has been full. It's not as easy as you think to get people to come way out here to New Bern, which is why we had to sign an Away/Away schedule with Richmond several years ago. If any 4A school wants to play New Bern, please give us a call!

We played Hillside every year from 2010/2011 until a few years ago. 4A New Hanover is on the schedule. 5A Maury out of Richmond is on the schedule. We tried to play Gibbons the past few years but their schedule has been full. It's not as easy as you think to get people to come way out here to New Bern, which is why we had to sign an Away/Away schedule with Richmond several years ago. If any 4A school wants to play New Bern, please give us a call!
RIGHT ....

Although they haven’t played or beaten the powerhouses in Charlotte, they lost a good chunk of kids to Palisades which is the new school. To still be 8-0 is impressive to me
I think that avoidance of the Charlotte powerhouses is why their RPI is so low. The SOS is really bad.

I think that avoidance of the Charlotte powerhouses is why their RPI is so low. The SOS is really bad.
I am happy for ay team that is 8-0 but Olympic sos is ranked 102 out of 107 teams. The teams they have beaten have a record of 16-55 outside of AK who is 7-2. AK best win this season is against a 5-4 team. My point is, there could be 50 4A teams that could be 8-0 with this schedule.

I don’t think avoidance is a fair word. Olympic scheduled Butler for years up until maybe 2017. They scheduled Myers Park as a nonconference team when they were really good, add in some Porter Ridge sprinkled in along with Weddington last year and i think they do a good job on scheduling based on where the program is at. There schedule is light this season but I won’t hold it against them. Hopefully next year they test themselves.

I used to think that was an excuse until my wife and I made a trip to New Bern a couple of summers ago. I understand now. New Bern is kind of out of the way when it comes to 4A schools. So, they play who they have on their schedule from the area. No fault of theirs. It's location.

I used to think that was an excuse until my wife and I made a trip to New Bern a couple of summers ago. I understand now. New Bern is kind of out of the way when it comes to 4A schools. So, they play who they have on their schedule from the area. No fault of theirs. It's location.
Correct. For many years we had several Wilmington schools in our conference where we had to travel 4 hours (there and back) which was fun. But we have New Hanover and Maury out of Norfolk VA on the schedule right now which has helped.

Correct. For many years we had several Wilmington schools in our conference where we had to travel 4 hours (there and back) which was fun. But we have New Hanover and Maury out of Norfolk VA on the schedule right now which has helped.
I think someone posted about New Bern avoiding Charlotte teams. That's a heck of trip for someone, either to New Bern or Charlotte. Though they're out of state, Maury and the rest of the Norfolk, VA area is much closer than Charlotte. That whole tidewater area of Virginia is closer. I would think if they wanted to, the Bears could get some good games from the tidewater area, be it Maury or someone else.

I think someone posted about New Bern avoiding Charlotte teams. That's a heck of trip for someone, either to New Bern or Charlotte. Though they're out of state, Maury and the rest of the Norfolk, VA area is much closer than Charlotte. That whole tidewater area of Virginia is closer. I would think if they wanted to, the Bears could get some good games from the tidewater area, be it Maury or someone else.
I think the Maury series is still on for next year so that will be good. If that ever stops, would love another series with a 757 team.

Reactions: shutdownD24
Long road trips can be a huge disadvantage. I have seen many teams get on the field after a long bus trip and play flat. When Indys win streak ended, they spent most of that day traveling due to some issues and many people that I trust said it played a big factor. If teams could get there the day before, like colleges do, than it would be different. Also have to factor in gas prices And maybe an extra meal or snack. Food isnt cheap either. Why take a 4 hour bus trip, spend the money on food and gas and then your kids play flat? Sounds like fun.

I am happy for ay team that is 8-0 but Olympic sos is ranked 102 out of 107 teams. The teams they have beaten have a record of 16-55 outside of AK who is 7-2. AK best win this season is against a 5-4 team. My point is, there could be 50 4A teams that could be 8-0 with this schedule.
I don't disagree but they are better than you think. They will be a problem for some of the big boys. Very athletic squad.

Reactions: mrhonda
Wondering if East Forsyth has peeked too early and might stumble in the early rounds

I think they will be just fine . Last week they was hurting themselves in the first half ! 2nd totally different team . Front 7 definitely Top 3 in the state . Secondary not far behind either. . They have a DT #91 & DB #8 both 2024 . They triple team that DT . Thzt DB locked up Noah Rogers in Rolesville .

Wondering if East Forsyth has peeked too early and might stumble in the early rounds
That's been a concern of mine as well. But really, there's only a few teams that are equal or better than them on the West and that's MC, Hough, Chambers, and maybe Grimsley. That's not saying other teams can't beat them, but I don't think there are many teams better than them.

Last year against Hough their defense did well (hough settled for a lot of field goals and had a defensive td) but EF offense could do absolutely nothing against Hough defense. Hopefully that isn't an issue for them again this year, but that game against Glenn and Tabor has me worried for them.

That's been a concern of mine as well. But really, there's only a few teams that are equal or better than them on the West and that's MC, Hough, Chambers, and maybe Grimsley. That's not saying other teams can't beat them, but I don't think there are many teams better than them.

Last year against Hough their defense did well (hough settled for a lot of field goals and had a defensive td) but EF offense could do absolutely nothing against Hough defense. Hopefully that isn't an issue for them again this year, but that game against Glenn and Tabor has me worried for them.
idk about that, against Tabor, people were saying that they had momentum and probably score 2 or 3 more times before the game was called early. and against Glenn, thats a bitter rival that probably played up. I don't put much stock in those 2 scorelines.

idk about that, against Tabor, people were saying that they had momentum and probably score 2 or 3 more times before the game was called early. and against Glenn, thats a bitter rival that probably played up. I don't put much stock in those 2 scorelines.
Totally different team 2nd half Glenn played well but East opened up a bit in the 2nd half. High powered offense & a Defensive front 7 thats easily Top 3 in the state giving up 9pts a game ! Secondary stout stay away from #8 .Up front #17 #91 are problems . This is the issue here with the publications you got so called 5 stars guys with avg numbers . Hes a 5 star becauae he passes the eye test . It a kid that had 22 sacks last year and hes not even ranked . You got a 5 star kid without 5 star numbers , let alone when he playes along side another 5 star kid you didnt even notice him 🤔. Good night God Bless ....

91 is definitely a force in the middle but plays high at times. #8 last year was Crowell he's at NC State now. I did see #8 get a pick 6 at Rolesville but I haven't seen much from him since then. #5 Rj Brown, #6 Joines and #17 Martin are who stand out to me. They are all 3 year starters in coach Beals Defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT