ADVERTISEMENT

Do you need a resume anymore???

sammyk

Oct 26, 2001
Now I am old and have been coaching since 1995. Back in the day to get a coordinators job or even a HC job you built your resume up. You went from position coach to coordinator to head coach. That was the norm. I used to tell any of my assistant coaches that the best way to get a job is to build your resume and move up the ranks. I do not think you need that anymore to get a HC job Am I wrong about this

It was a time when you paid your dues. Now kids are getting ahead of themselves and getting jobs that they are not always prepared for. A guy with a playbook can impress a panel who never played or coached. I think it once was a career where you had references who were aware of your background. Now, many positions seemed to be filled by a guy who went from player to OC in a couple of seasons. Not saying it can't work, but experience has a place. I like a young coach in a small school setting who gets room to grow. Not sure about a young guy who is put in charge of 9 or 10 assistants and expected to know how to use them. Good question.

Now I am old and have been coaching since 1995. Back in the day to get a coordinators job or even a HC job you built your resume up. You went from position coach to coordinator to head coach. That was the norm. I used to tell any of my assistant coaches that the best way to get a job is to build your resume and move up the ranks. I do not think you need that anymore to get a HC job Am I wrong about this
You're totally correct. I know some who get many interviews with little to no experience.

Reactions: Chris_Hughes
I agree - I mean biggest example is South Iredell and there past 2 hires

Also I think most coach think they just go from assistant to HC and HC is a lot more then just Xs and Os - and Also It’s also hard if they rebuilding but I think all HCs need to have some HC experience in so form because If u go from Coordinator from 2A program to 4A HC it’s totally different ball game but if u go from 2A HC to 4A HC u understand more to a degree but it’s a bigger challenge and all

Another thing I notice and I know it’s harder at HS to avoid but Coaches that move around a lot or lie to get a job or whatever the case still get jobs which I don’t get but Past employers can’t say anything that negative so but You should about who you are hiring but you hire them imo

When the guy walks in with two state titles, how do you pass him over? Proven track record.
Just bc he has 2 state title Doesn’t mean he the right guy. do they fit the school system n vision ; Do they get along with others ; Do they fundraising well; Do they get out n get know the community etc

Just bc he has 2 state title Doesn’t mean he the right guy. do they fit the school system n vision ; Do they get along with others ; Do they fundraising well; Do they get out n get know the community etc
Let me ask a question for anyone, when you go on an interview and the first question asked is how do you plan to raise money? Does that raise any red flags or is this the priority now?

Let me ask a question for anyone, when you go on an interview and the first question asked is how do you plan to raise money? Does that raise any red flags or is this the priority now?
Fundraising is very important and vital to programs period! Let use West Iredell as a example - They are a rural school in Iredell co and They have to fundraise different then say Lake Norman ; Mooresville and South - They have engage with their supporters

Like it or not - Money makes the world go around and make thing happen - That’s how they get new uniforms; Equipment; Food; etc

In Arizona where I was - The schools I was at had 0 funding at all from school or anything so Coaches had to fundraiser or pay outta pocket n I doubt coaches have the type of $ to pay 4,000+ for uniforms - School only help here n there but once every so often so YES fundraising is KEY part to ANY HS , College Program and A Coach whoever that is Must know how to Engage with community leaders , the fans and school to fund a program - It may not be #1 thing on list but It’s in top 5-10 things a HC must know how to do

Heck - I’ll use East Burke as a example - When Minor got there they only had 500$ for the whole football program to use - So I bet you since he been there That $ for the program has gone up and that’s bc he a Hell of a coach but I’m sure he know how get people to Support the program n Give money to that program

Heck - I’ll use East Burke as a example - When Minor got there they only had 500$ for the whole football program to use - So I bet you since he been there That $ for the program has gone up and that’s bc he a Hell of a coach but I’m sure he know how get people to Support the program n Give money to that program
I fully understand it’s importance, but first question asked in interview?

I agree - I mean biggest example is South Iredell and there past 2 hires

Also I think most coach think they just go from assistant to HC and HC is a lot more then just Xs and Os - and Also It’s also hard if they rebuilding but I think all HCs need to have some HC experience in so form because If u go from Coordinator from 2A program to 4A HC it’s totally different ball game but if u go from 2A HC to 4A HC u understand more to a degree but it’s a bigger challenge and all

Another thing I notice and I know it’s harder at HS to avoid but Coaches that move around a lot or lie to get a job or whatever the case still get jobs which I don’t get but Past employers can’t say anything that negative so but You should about who you are hiring but you hire them imo

I disagree on some of this

That would be a huge red flag. While coaches should support fundraising efforts, raising money is the BOOSTERS job and financial support should come from the school. The number one way to raise money is to win. Winning puts butts in the seats...

Reactions: ocdavis31
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT