ADVERTISEMENT

Covid Protocols

Blue and Gold22

Aug 17, 2013
Wondering if I could get an AD or HC to answer some of these questions-

- Is it the local board, county, city or state that sets up the protocols and are they fairly consistent across the state?

- If a player tests positive does the entire team have to quarantine or just close contact individuals?

- How long does quarantine last? If the positive player tests negative 2 or 3 days later are all quarantine protocols lifted?

- Who determines close contact?

- Are teams or at least any members who werent in close contact allowed to practice? Go to school?

- DO any HS have rapid testing on site?

Mostly I am wondering how much of this is left to the coaching staff to determine. I would love for this not to deteriorate into a Facebook level debate on Covid is a hoax, vaccines are un-american etc,etc. Just trying to get my arms around what coaching staffs are dealing with and the consistency of the rules.

Reactions: tarheel fan1
Most Covid protocols are left up to the local school system at this point. Alot of the control lies in the hands of the local health department and health director.

I am not sure but I would think the responsibility of the coach is to determine who was in close contact with the positive case. Most places just quarantine the entire team instead of working to identify close contacts.

Wondering if I could get an AD or HC to answer some of these questions-

- Is it the local board, county, city or state that sets up the protocols and are they fairly consistent across the state?

- If a player tests positive does the entire team have to quarantine or just close contact individuals?

- How long does quarantine last? If the positive player tests negative 2 or 3 days later are all quarantine protocols lifted?

- Are teams or at least any members who werent in close contact allowed to practice? Go to school?

Mostly I am wondering how much of this is left to the coaching staff to determine. I would love for this not to deteriorate into a Facebook level debate on Covid is a hoax, vaccines are un-american etc,etc. Just trying to get my arms around what coaching staffs are dealing with and the consistency of the rules.

Interesting stuff. Especially with all
The week one cancellations, I’m kind of curious myself.

The NCHSAA set protocols for all and school districts can go BEYOND those standards but not BELOW.

If a student test positive, the scenario along with details must be sent in to that district "covid" person and who has to quarantine and for how long is determined by that person

See previous answer

See previous answer

See previous

no

Coaches just coach in this situation

Reactions: Blue and Gold22
I personally think that they need to loosen up on the protocols. A team can have no positive test but have to cancel there game because the last team they played tested positive for covid. Covid is never going away we have to a doubt better and not cancel everything because 1 person test positive.

I guess my only real concern here is that based on the protocols there is a pretty open window here for someone NOT reporting a positive test to the district Covid person. That seems to be the trigger for all that comes after. Its not hard to imagine a situation where and non starter tests positive and quarantines but it never gets reported.

Nah when you go get tested and a positive result returns.. That name is sent to the school district based on the county that test is given. They will track down where that student attends school. Of course there is always a way to lie and get around anything but it's pretty thorough on how tracking is done within the district.

Reactions: Blue and Gold22
There have been positive cases on teams and they have played. I think it varies. In cumberland County the school contacts all students home to let them know of the case and with the health department they do contact tracing. My sons school just played Jack Britt who was down for 10 days due to what was described as a breakout amongst many team members from what was rumored. They missed all of their scrimmages but were back at practice last week and played Friday. At this point I say play on unless it's widespread. Starting this week outbreaks will be everywhere. Girls and boys will start back kissing and kids will kids. At some point you do have to go back to life i hope as many folks as possible get vaccinated. It's not the complete answer but I believe it slows this shit down.

I guess my only real concern here is that based on the protocols there is a pretty open window here for someone NOT reporting a positive test to the district Covid person. That seems to be the trigger for all that comes after. Its not hard to imagine a situation where and non starter tests positive and quarantines but it never gets reported.

I’m sure that’s happened. I didn’t hear about many cases during the summer workouts. It seems like most all are being reported due to cancellations. They are going to have to figure things out if they want to get through the season

I think the NCHSAA currently only has posted only suggestions and best practices for this school year. They are largely leaving it up to the school to deal with. The school largely has to follow the policies of their district which are largely influenced by their health department and health director. So some things vary from place to place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT