ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Jimmy Upchurch from West Stokes has retired

I have worked many of Coach Upchurch’s games over his 17 years at W. Stokes. Always greeted me by my name and a smile, seemed happy to see me, maybe not so after a few calls. I had his third round game on the way to state championship. Must have had the East Surry game at least 5 or 6 times including last year. Always a classic game.

He will be missed in the West Stokes community. Continued good luck to him as his restaurant grows.

good coach...sorry for West Stokes loss but I'm sure they will step up and get a good replacement.....the history has been established...........

good coach...sorry for West Stokes loss but I'm sure they will step up and get a good replacement.....the history has been established...........

the issue with West Stokes is, they aren’t very talented anymore. They were an average team this past season and lose everything they had. The lack of support from their community isn’t very good right now either.

Reactions: Kylar2018
Coach Upchurch had a great career at West Stokes. Wish him well in retirement. Who would be some potential candidates for this job? They should have a lot of applicants after going to the western finals last season.

Last edited:
the issue with West Stokes is, they aren’t very talented anymore. They were an average team this past season and lose everything they had. The lack of support from their community isn’t very good right now either.
No community support?? they brought a pretty big crowd to Reidsville in Dec...................can't speak about the rest of program...like their middle school program, etc......always enjoyed having them in the conference with Reidsville back about 10-12 years ago.................

They did just go to the 4th round though

Reactions: UNC91
It seemed that his players enjoyed playing for him and that is important as wins and losses. I've enjoyed watching his teams play over the past 15 years and Upchurch did a lot for the community. He will be missed and talent wise it may be a couple years before they are competitive in the playoffs. As far as community support it is very strong and will be a good job for someone.

Average team and made it to the western finale. Not many average teams would have beat Mt. Heritage on the road and a good eastern Randolph team. They got better as the year went on and credit to coaches and players.

It seemed that his players enjoyed playing for him and that is important as wins and losses. I've enjoyed watching his teams play over the past 15 years and Upchurch did a lot for the community. He will be missed and talent wise it may be a couple years before they are competitive in the playoffs. As far as community support it is very strong and will be a good job for someone.

Any speculation on who may apply or would be a good fit to keep things going?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT