ADVERTISEMENT

2A Clinton vs North Surry Girls 2A State Championship

Darkhorse#34

Jul 30, 2006
Its going down NC State University Reynolds Coliseum Saturday March 11 5pm Clinton Dark Horses 29-2(14-0) vs North Surry Greyhounds 26-5(10-0) should be a great game and a great atmosphere cant wait

State Championship week was always a eventful week for Football been awhile since we done it in basketball.....i can imagine the boosters will be doing somethings for the team this week and like in football Coach Owens will probably invite some former players like Tonya Sampson,Danyel Parker,Felicia Autry,Tonya Colwell to come and speak to the team

Looks like Clinton is again going to run into a team with a taller frontcourt. North Surry features 6'2 Freshman Ellie Sutphin and 6'0 Junior Mikeala Johnson. They also happen to be the top scorers on the team, averaging 13 and 12 ppg, respectively. I'm certain the Greyhounds will look to slow down Clinton's run-and-gun offense with either a box and one or triangle and two defense. The Lady Dark Horses proved during the playoffs that they can play well at different tempos, and more role players have stepped up during this run. I'm hoping my Horses pull out the victory, and I think this is going to be a great game to watch!

Reactions: Darkhorse#34
Role players for Clinton have stepped up Kiara Marby was huge in the regional final made hustle plays and hit shots when she was open.....Joyner maybe a key to the game Saturday with her ability to block and change shots......Trio of Williams,Cannady, and Boykin have to do what they been doing all year.....Mikayla Boykin only 7 points away from breaking State record for points in season, i think she goes full throttle Saturday and leads Clinton to their 3rd State Championship following the foot steps of Danyel Parker 1989 and Tonya Sampson 1990

Looks like Clinton is again going to run into a team with a taller frontcourt. North Surry features 6'2 Freshman Ellie Sutphin and 6'0 Junior Mikeala Johnson. They also happen to be the top scorers on the team, averaging 13 and 12 ppg, respectively. I'm certain the Greyhounds will look to slow down Clinton's run-and-gun offense with either a box and one or triangle and two defense. The Lady Dark Horses proved during the playoffs that they can play well at different tempos, and more role players have stepped up during this run. I'm hoping my Horses pull out the victory, and I think this is going to be a great game to watch!

Dribble drive & penetrate try and get those big girls and foul trouble like they did the Brown girl from Barlett Yancey

Reactions: FOOTBALLFANTIC
Dribble drive & penetrate try and get those big girls and foul trouble like they did the Brown girl from Barlett Yancey
I saw a couple of North Surry games on youtube from mid-February. They don't look much like a running team, but then again, the team they were playing only won 8 games on the year. Is it Saturday yet??

I saw a couple of North Surry games on youtube from mid-February. They don't look much like a running team, but then again, the team they were playing only won 8 games on the year. Is it Saturday yet??

North Surry will run when they see the opportunity, but they're content, and usually prefer, to play out of a half-court set and bang the ball inside. They actually have a third six-footer who comes off the bench and who would start for most teams.

When they played Mount Airy, which is a team literally full of great track athletes (and shooters), they played up-and-down the first two times and got their butts kicked. But they learned their lesson. The third time they played, it was more of a half-court game and they won 53-50. I saw two of those games, and they were played at a very high level for December.

They are very talented and athletic, and of their five losses, three of them are to other teams playing on Saturday (two to MA and one to 4A finalist Northwest Guilford, and the other two were to West Forsyth and RJR, both 24-win 4A teams. They only team that's beaten them by more than six is Mount Airy.

Clinton is led by All everything guard Mikaya Boykin ranked in the top 20 ESPNW prospects committed to Duke comes in to the game Saturday avg 37.6 ppg 3rd best nationally 7 points away from breaking State scoring record for points in a season but its not a one horse show as Clinton features Alex Cannady junior guard and D1 prospect 18.6 ppg and Sophmore Ashlyn Williams rounds out the big 3 avg 11.8 per game......Clinton is fast athletic team likes to play up tempo team avg 77.9 ppg.....only loses came to 4A Millbrook and Northside-Jax

Safe travels to all traveling to Raleigh later on today sadly wont be able to make it but ill be listening to the game on mixlr Good luck Lady Dark Horses bring home that State Championship #WeBelieve

End of 1 Clinton up 16-14....foul trouble early for Clinton Joyner has 3 already Williams 2......Mikayla Boykin broke the record for points in season needed 7 she has 12

Halftime Clinton 32 Norh Surry 26.....foul trouble hurt us in the first half....think its important they get Cannady more involved in the 2nd half.....Chestnutt was big...Williams steady as usual and of course Boykin being Boykin think ahe has 17 or 19 points

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT