ADVERTISEMENT

2A Clinton (26-1) vs Fairmont (29-1)

Wizard of the East

Jun 13, 2001
DarkHorses just too much for the Golden Tornadoes with the Horses winning 80-56. The lead was as much as 30 multiple times; defense, intense speed, and size were the winning factors.
The DarkHorses will match-up against Greene Central Saturday for the eastern championship at a site for some reason still to be determined. Reportedly it could be in Fayetteville or Greenville. For the life of me, I don't understand why that hasn't already been established.
Why we're on what a great association the high schools have, in years past the regional semi-finals were always held at the same site as the regional finals. Last year and this year they've gone away from that and the semi-finals have been held at the higher seed home court. Now that was convenient for Clinton tonight, but I'm told about 300 fans were turned away because Clinton's tiny gym was absolutely packed. I'm sure the fire marshalls had to cut off the intake of fans. The same thing happened last year when Clinton had to go to Jacksonville Northside for a semi-final game and again, many fans, family members were turned away. This s just wrong! The total regionals need to be held at a college venue (as in the past) where everyone can enter the game. It also adds to the experience of the participants. I'm sure the money hungry association has made this move for a financial reason, but they went up this year to $9.00 a ticket (just to dadgum much for children who doesn't have $9.00) and the association has millions and millions; (last I heard over $20 million) in their endowment fund. What are they doing with it????? Certainly not adding to the enhancement experience of the participants nor their families and fans. There's simply no justifiable reason for this.
I'll get off my rant. Our high schools need an organization that knows how to run a tournament.
Go DarkHorses!

Last edited:
Reactions: ramking2012
I agree however I have 2 points to make.

1) The old gym could’ve held up to 1k people. No one would’ve been turned away.

2) Capacity for current gym was supposed to be 900, but due to a design flaw it wasn’t made wide enough, rows overhung onto the court. A few rows had to be removed and still a few rows were bunched in so they still wouldn’t overhang onto the court. Some Fairmont fans sitting on the double rows where there feet wouldn’t touch the ground were confused, well that’s why. Someone screwed up the construction of that gym. So capacity instead of 900+ is 675.

yes, the Middle school gym is larger, but the lighting is poor, just plain dark. My main point is the semi's should be played at the championship venue like years before. There's no reason it can't be. They're cheating the kids and the fans.They could have played that game over in Fayetteville tonight at the Crown, or the old arena across from the parking lot or at Fayetteville State. No they got a free venue and went up on the ticket price. That's just chintzy.

They have upgraded the lights at the old gym. They are very nice, and bright.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT