ADVERTISEMENT

Cherokee has beat the Big 4

Mont1963

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2013
Cherokee ( boys and girls) have dismantled the Big 4 in the SMC. All they got left is a couple of schools their size (Andrews & Rosman )

Talking about size of school is silly in bball. That is why the state does not split the playoffs into 1a/1aa. Robbinsville and Hville only have 50 or 60 more kids the Cherokee. What I want to know is, if the new law you guys are trying to pass makes it will you be able to smoke IT in the gym and at football games?

Never gonna pass .. And that's a silly question .. Cigarettes are legal and you don't see a gym full of smoke .. Come on man. I agree that the size of school doesn't mean as much as football.

How does the size of the school not matter? I have heard arguments for ever about the area schools can pull from like Bishop or WSP which allows them to have huge talent. Also several other threads have talked about how can Swain and Murphy be so down with their numbers to pull from? Argument can't work both ways fellas.

And as far as the law BK, the tribe isn't trying to pass that and Braves is right. It would never happen here in a million years.

I'm
Saying the smc diff is not that big of a deal. Granted swain should be better than they are and compete at a high level in a lot of sports because they have almost 600 kids. The Murphy problem is beyond me .. They were the most dominate program just a few years back. Now living in a city with open enrollment is a diff story

Originally posted by BK13T-$:

What I want to know is, if the new law you guys are trying to pass makes it will you be able to smoke IT in the gym and at football games?
Say WHAT?? Really? The range of your sore loserness knows no bounds. This might be the most ridiculous thing ever typed on these boards.

Braves agreed that the size of SMC schools is close enough to not really matter as well.

Mont, you are really enjoying your basketball team and rightfully so. You have 2 great teams. But your posts are clearly paybacks for what the big 4 has accomplished during football season against your team. The season is just half over, be careful how you boast. Teams get better, its harder to win at their home court and you never know when injuries could happen. Look what happened to Murphys football team this year. What I'm saying is be proud but have a little class.

Didn't lose to big 4 in football. We beat Hayesville. Besides, this has nothing to do with football. We were very proud of our football season. Certainly headed in the right direction.

. This is about " the little school that could". We are having a banner year in basketball, with Varsity boys and girls undefeated and middle school boys and girls undefeated! Now, I would bet $$ that they will lose before the season is over, but that won't be the end of the world!

GO BIG BRAVES!

I can't remember a year when there were so many really good teams in 1A basketball. Cherokee, Albemarle, WSP, Allegany, Cherryville, EC and the list goes on and on. Come the playoffs it is gonna be a real dogfight between these teams. On a given night any one can beat the other. Can't wait.

I agree that it is awesome to have a small enrollment 1A team have such a great year. Being from Andrews I can relate. I apologize for the misunderstanding. Was just thinking after having to read year in and year out how Murphy and Swain dominate the football posts you were giving it back to them. Believe you me I pray for the day that Andrews can rise to the top.

I think it's funny that I see posts about Cherokee and HD being the best teams in the West. As you know the pods are no longer around so you will have the pleasure of seeing what was the Midwest pod combined in. So your west schools now include Albemarle MA Bishop WSP West Mont etc. Out of the northwest conference you will have 4 teams in the playoffs being Prep(will be a too seed) Ma (will get the 2 seed) bishop (will more than likely pull the 3 seed) with Atkins (will get the wildcard). So the top seeds will more than likely draw a northwest team like Atkins and bishop either in the first or 2nd rd.

For example last season Albemarle had the top seed in the Midwest. First rd roxboro comm 2nd rd MA the third rd had they not lost would have been against Prep and the 4th rd vs Bishop.

So now you get those teams. The west pod last year other than a few teams was not that great. Even a team like South Davidson you don't want. They are well coached and can flat shoot the ball.

This is for girls of course but you see where I am going with this. Some teams round 1 will be a dogfight round 2 on for most will be a dogfight. This years 1A playoffs for guys and girls will be TOUGH!!!!! Very exciting for 1A.

Originally posted by bulldog nation2014:
I think it's funny that I see posts about Cherokee and HD being the best teams in the West. As you know the pods are no longer around so you will have the pleasure of seeing what was the Midwest pod combined in. So your west schools now include Albemarle MA Bishop WSP West Mont etc. Out of the northwest conference you will have 4 teams in the playoffs being Prep(will be a too seed) Ma (will get the 2 seed) bishop (will more than likely pull the 3 seed) with Atkins (will get the wildcard). So the top seeds will more than likely draw a northwest team like Atkins and bishop either in the first or 2nd rd.

For example last season Albemarle had the top seed in the Midwest. First rd roxboro comm 2nd rd MA the third rd had they not lost would have been against Prep and the 4th rd vs Bishop.

So now you get those teams. The west pod last year other than a few teams was not that great. Even a team like South Davidson you don't want. They are well coached and can flat shoot the ball.

This is for girls of course but you see where I am going with this. Some teams round 1 will be a dogfight round 2 on for most will be a dogfight. This years 1A playoffs for guys and girls will be TOUGH!!!!! Very exciting for 1A.
Bulldog...let them enjoy themselves, time will tell. To review last year your are saying that you faced too many tough teams for you all. Your hoping this year will be better but really you will face the same teams it may just be a round later. When comparing your team to HD and Cherokee girls, they each have won a state title and made numerous regional appearances. Many of their teams have been some of the closest games Bishop encountered on the road to their titles. How do you compare?

No that's not what I am saying but thanks for identifying your high level of education. I simply stated the enjoyment of having your first 2rds of cake walks are over. As a overall #1 seed in the Midwest pod that is what they faced (albemarle) that will be what the mountain teams will be looking at. I n regards to Albemarle and their successes they just last season got a new coach that is building that program very well. Albemarle is on the way up and they are very talented and getting deeper. They are a team that could make a deep run as they have all the pieces. No team wants to play them. They are not in the conversation with Bishop or any other state title winners as they have not climbed that mountain yet. But for some of the West teams that was mentioned before to constantly brag and lay claim of THE best teamin the west is laughable. That will need to be proven. Now are they one of the better teams in the west sure but to lay claim on that you will have to beat Bishop when it counts and come out of the west to play for the title. IMHO

Actually, neither Bishop nor Albemare are IN the West. I know for playoff purposes, they are in the west, but to say Stanly County and Bishop are WEST is LAUGHABLE!! West to me is west of Hickory! Heck, from Cherokee, it's still a 85 mile drive to the Tennessee state line near Copper Basin, TN!

Well to most teams when the state playoffs are broken down east and west you generally have your west teams and your east teams and that's the way most teams who are looking for a state title look at it. For one reason they watch the teams they could have to potentially go trough to get there.

To me I am watching Cherokee hayesville HD Bishop Prep MA Atkins West Mont as these are the teams that could be second or 3rd matchups.

So if you all in the mountains want to discount those teams be my guest but you all will find out this year how brutal the Midwest pod was. Best of luck to your teams.

Lmao, the comment about, your level of education cracked my big a$$ up. Its nice to know Mr Webster is on a sports page looking for literary mistakes.Since when do men have to worry about their level of education while posting about sports. Carry on

Wildcat I assume you are from the mountains as well? The reference was to having the ability to understand and comprehend what was being said. By your last comment I assume you were in the same class? If you do not understand what is being discussed or have trouble comprehending what the post is about you probably should not comment. Lol great comment though, I am surely appreciative of your incredible insight.

No that's not what I am saying but thanks for identifying your high level of education. I simply stated the enjoyment of having your first 2rds of cake walks are over. As a overall #1 seed in the Midwest pod that is what they faced (albemarle) that will be what the mountain teams will be looking at. I n regards to Albemarle and their successes they just last season got a new coach that is building that program very well. Albemarle is on the way up and they are very talented and getting deeper. They are a team that could make a deep run as they have all the pieces. No team wants to play them. They are not in the conversation with Bishop or any other state title winners as they have not climbed that mountain yet. But for some of the West teams that was mentioned before to constantly brag and lay claim of THE best teamin the west is laughable. That will need to be proven. Now are they one of the better teams in the west sure but to lay claim on that you will have to beat Bishop when it counts and come out of the west to play for the title. IMHO
Bulldog:

Your statement about education is just down right funny. You wish to downgrade the western girls teams and I offer FACTs to point out that they have earned respect. What facts do you offer? None, if some please list them. I am not talking potential, rather achievement. To quote Joe Friday: "Just the facts."

This post was edited on 1/18 12:06 AM by recycled2

Once again read the post and understand the post. I stated in no way can you all claim one of these two teams are number 1 in the west due to the fact you have teams such as prep bishop etc etc. I said about Albemarle that they will be a team you do not want to play in the playoffs. I have laid 0 claims to Albemarle with the exception of they are a very good team. The team in my opinion that can lay claim to the best team in the west and even the state is Bishop as they have earned that right through 9 straight state titles and until somebody can beat them when it counts they are that regardless of their 6 losses this year. Nobody in 9 yrs has proven they can beat them when it counts.

So unless you can debate that point you have nothing. So you won a title 20 yrs ago or whatever that means nothing in today's game with the non traditionals included in the 1A state playoffs. It is a completely different time.

I want to be clear I will cheer on all traditional 1A schools but you all in what was the west pods have not experienced the depth of good teams out of the Midwest pod except for 1 game and that was your best team playing. You will see come playoff time what I am talking about. I'm not downgrading your team at all that Midwest pod was brutal so the success of your "west" teams making it to the regional semi's will change to an extent. It will be interesting to see come playoff time on how the matchups work out.

I recall a couple years ago cherokee played a north Wilkes team that had s great record in the regionals and it wasn't even a game. Yeah our girls have lost to bishop but so has everyone else. To discount Hayesville and HD along with cherokee will be a mistake. Hayesville has two division 1 players on it and they are prob the third best team in the old west pod. I will agree the list of high level teams is short but they can compete. Let's see how the Midwest teams deal with 3 hr rides and all that comes with that. You just better hope your Bulldogs don't have to travel to HD ... I know where I'll put my money ...

The midwest historically has been waaaaaay deeper than the west, hence why the higher seeds have historically struggled in that pod (see: Albemarle & Monroe in '13 & '14).

The gap was even more pronounced last season when, at worst, 5 of the 7 best teams in the state were from the midwest on the girls side (Bishop, Prep, Atkins, Mount Airy, Albemarle, in that order). Had it not been for the pods, there's a real chance that neither Hayesville or Cherokee would have reached the regionals.

The gap isn't as wide this year with the emergence of HD and the regression of Bishop, but the reality is that, without the pods, A LOT of teams from out west who have had strong seasons are going to be home earlier than they otherwise would have if the pods still existed, Cherokee being the most obvious one.

You do know that Albemarle has a d1 player as well right lol? As well as a d2 player and another if not for injury would be D2 but will be a d3 player and another d3 right? You can put your money wherever you want but that 3hr ride you take could be to Albemarle as well. I have seen hayesville and they are a good team as I said before it would be a great game for those teams to play. Never discounted any mountain teams like I said the best team in the state as of right now until somebody beats them when it counts is Bishop. A win 10-15 years ago in regionals over bishop doesn't count in today's game. They are a different animal. And if I were you I would look at the Midwest pod before wanting a game with them regardless if they have to come to you or not. I can tell you a team right now you don't want and they will more than likely be a wildcard team and that's Atkins. They will be 4th place in the northwest conference I believe. Like I said I will be cheering for all traditionals as I would love to see a traditional win a state title.

Also if you want to discount Albemarle girls or guys be my guest but you don't want to see them come playoffs. Both will be high seeds come the playoffs as well.

Bulldog here is a fact for you: Bishop has never lost a state playoff game. Please try to deal in facts.

You do know that Albemarle has a d1 player as well right lol? As well as a d2 player and another if not for injury would be D2 but will be a d3 player and another d3 right? You can put your money wherever you want but that 3hr ride you take could be to Albemarle as well. I have seen hayesville and they are a good team as I said before it would be a great game for those teams to play. Never discounted any mountain teams like I said the best team in the state as of right now until somebody beats them when it counts is Bishop. A win 10-15 years ago in regionals over bishop doesn't count in today's game. They are a different animal. And if I were you I would look at the Midwest pod before wanting a game with them regardless if they have to come to you or not. I can tell you a team right now you don't want and they will more than likely be a wildcard team and that's Atkins. They will be 4th place in the northwest conference I believe. Like I said I will be cheering for all traditionals as I would love to see a traditional win a state title.

Also if you want to discount Albemarle girls or guys be my guest but you don't want to see them come playoffs. Both will be high seeds come the playoffs as well.
Quit riding Bishop and Winston Salem Prep's coattails talking about how tough the midwest is. What has Albemarle girls ever done to belong in the same sentence as Bishop or Mt Airy girls basketball? If pods didn't exist Albemarle would've faired no better than they have up to this point, wishful thinking on your part to believe otherwise.

Yeah the midwest is deeper than the west but it should be, more population, more teams. The top 1 or 2 teams out west are always the real deal so I don't appreciate you trying to run them down and act like they aren't deserving. Why don't you just ask Bishop fans if those Cherokee, Hayesville, Robbinsville, Murphy teams they've played were any good or deserved to be there.

Hayesville and Cherokee girls aren't as strong this year as they were last year or I would feel real good about them shutting some of your bragging and boasting up. The Hayesville and Cherokee of last season would've been more than capable against anyone in the midwest pod not named Bishop.

That's fine because even if Hayesville and Cherokee aren't where they were last year, Hiwassee Dam girls are there to pick up the slack this season. I can promise you the Albemarle girls don't want any of Hiwassee Dam this year.

Originally posted by Dave2kMA:

there's a real chance that neither Hayesville or Cherokee would have reached the regionals.
BS, one of them definitely would've reached regionals.

And everyone in 1A should be REAL glad Cherokee lost high major D1 guard Meona Feather to private school Rabun Gap. Not even Bishop beats Cherokee last season with her on the team to go with the Toinetta and Mintz combo.

The Lady Braves would've been a serious contender again this season with Feather and Toinetta together in the backcourt.

This post was edited on 1/18 12:34 PM by mbdfan

Ok didn't I just say that until somebody can beat Bishop when it counts in the state playoffs they are the best team in the state? All you are showing is that you have no argument because all you are doing is trying to spin what I am saying. Lol Come on man you can do better than that.

MB I'm not riding nobody's coat tails or bragging. Saying Albemarle is a good team is not false or wishful thinking that's a fact. To deny what Bishop has done and the dominance they have displayed would be disrespectful. Aside what I personally believe Bishop has been dominant. I have seen hayesville actually albemarle played them in the summer league. So yes Hayesville is a good team have said that repeatedly. Keep talking about what Albemarle girls haven't done. A matter of fact keep saying they suck and can't play with your Cherokee and HD. That's fine with me just don't be coming out with the poor me excuses if one of your teams gets beat by the guys or girls from Albemarle.

Like I said before Albemarle is a good team both guys and girls. They can play with anybody and they are a dangerous team to play. The fact is the Midwest is deep and strong and I am thankful the pods are gone and that love will be spread out lol. In the end it doesn't really mean a lot as you still have to beat the best in the west to get to play for a state title. Interested to see the unfair cries from you all when you run into Atkins in the first or second rd lol.

Ok didn't I just say that until somebody can beat Bishop when it counts in the state playoffs they are the best team in the state? All you are showing is that you have no argument because all you are doing is trying to spin what I am saying. Lol Come on man you can do better than that.
Here is another fact for you dog14: the Midwest pod was only brutal starting in the third round. Of the four NW teams that made the 3rd round only one of them (Bishop) had a game within 20 points in the first two rounds and a believe it was a 14 point win. You like to refer to last years west as a cakewalk, what do you call the first two rounds in the Midwest?

MB I'm not riding nobody's coat tails or bragging. Saying Albemarle is a good team is not false or wishful thinking that's a fact. To deny what Bishop has done and the dominance they have displayed would be disrespectful. Aside what I personally believe Bishop has been dominant. I have seen hayesville actually albemarle played them in the summer league. So yes Hayesville is a good team have said that repeatedly. Keep talking about what Albemarle girls haven't done. A matter of fact keep saying they suck and can't play with your Cherokee and HD. That's fine with me just don't be coming out with the poor me excuses if one of your teams gets beat by the guys or girls from Albemarle.
First nobody has denied "Bishops" dominance, it's you acting like some of the other teams in the midwest would've done sooooo much better without pods that's the problem. Would some of them made regionals without the pod system? Of course but our far west teams competed just fine before pods existed so what makes you think they won't without them?

Second, nobody said Albemarle sucks or isn't any good. What was said was that Albemarle's fate would've been no different without pods and that's a fact. You might've made it one round further without pods, congratulations, doesn't change a thing in the grand scheme of things though you seem to think it would've.

From what I've read nobody has discounted albemarle .. You made the comment that the west teams have no chance ... I think that's false... I think all three of those teams can go deep in the playoffs ... Will they ? Who knows playoffs depend on luck and good match ups ..,the Cherokee girls have given bishop some tough games so to say they are weak .. I would disagree... I can promise you don't want none of that trip to hiwasse ... The ride itself is a monster plus they will be hanging off the rafters supporting them.

I never said that Cherokee or hayesville were weak squads. Can you not read? I said they are good teams and I will be cheering on all traditional schools but the Midwest is brutal and the west is not as strong as the Midwest pods. Additionally I said the BEST team in the state is Bishop until somebody knocks them off when it counts. Quit twisting words lol. Geesh. To quote what I said I actually said Hayesville was a good team.

I said Albemarle is a good team in fact one of the better teams and I am thankful that the love of the Midwest pod will be more spread out this year. But keep talking and come playoff time the games will be played.

I said Albemarle is a good team in fact one of the better teams and I am thankful that the love of the Midwest pod will be more spread out this year. But keep talking and come playoff time the games will be played.
nobody has been talking lately but you, so YOU don't get it twisted becuase you're the one that's been blowing up the whol midwest pod, don't back off now.

By the way I think the Albemarle boys are legit, probably one of the top 4 teams in 1A ball this season. The Albemarle girls not so much, don't think they would not rank among the top 8 1A girls teams, 9th or 10th at best.

Oh don't worry I won't back off the strength of the Midwest pod. In regards to the girls that's fine with me, right now probably about right. They have been injured pretty much the whole season until just recently so the next couple of weeks will tell where they are.

You think? Lol you ever been down this way to watch for yourself? I will be interested to see your comments after one of your mountain teams has to play some of the other Midwest teams like west Montgomery albemarle south Davidson etc. And yes the NW conference is Tough. Nobody and I repeat nobody wants to see Atkins in the first rd as a wildcard team. I just looked and it could be bishop and Atkins as your 3/4 teams out of that conference which both will be in the bottom 16. Albemarle (most likely) and West Mont will be in the top 8 on the girls side.

Also on the guys side do not underestimate queens Grant. They have a descent team but are missing their big guy in the middle due to injury.

Mountain Envy !!!!!!!!! But thank you bulldog for your insight and enlighting this poor, uneducated, snaggle tooth mountain man. I will try to go get help with reading comprehension. Carry on

This post was edited on 1/19 12:52 PM by Wildcat10fan

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT