ADVERTISEMENT

Charters and Prep Schools in the Playoffs

flyfalconsfly

Nov 8, 2015
Evening. Will the nchsaa ever allow the traditional high schools to have the same advantages of the charter and prep schools regarding enrollment and recruiting?

I don’t think it’s for the NCHSAA to say that a traditional school can accept students from anywhere within a county or a 25 mile radius. That’s for an LEA to say. What they can do is put in rules about how you classify schools to try and even things out. Except their ability to do that is hamstrung by the legislature’s new oversight of them.

Last edited:
I was waiting for this. Let’s not be silly and think Public schools don’t ‘recruit’ kids! If we’re talking about ‘basketball mills’ with no educational standard ok but please! One of the biggest recruiters in Guilford county is a public school (not counting gds as that’s obvious). How about East Forsyth in Forsyth county? Yup!! Until someone does something about it (seriously) ALL schools will ‘recruit’ kids. Before someone says well my school doesn’t blah blah blah…correct all schools may not but A LOT do, public, private and charter!

I was waiting for this. Let’s not be silly and think Public schools don’t ‘recruit’ kids! If we’re talking about ‘basketball mills’ with no educational standard ok but please! One of the biggest recruiters in Guilford county is a public school (not counting gds as that’s obvious). How about East Forsyth in Forsyth county? Yup!! Until someone does something about it (seriously) ALL schools will ‘recruit’ kids. Before someone says well my school doesn’t blah blah blah…correct all schools may not but A LOT do, public, private and charter!
Public schools recruit better than Charters. I can name public schools all over who basically is a county all-star team. Recruiting is going on everywhere. Not only the privates and charters!

They don’t justify it because other schools do. 🙄. It leaves schools that don’t recruit to either develop what’s in the pipeline or else. I’ve been at public and private (NCHSAA member) and the publics have been far worse.

A dream school of mine to coach at is in the mountains and they don’t recruit BUT they have athletes who are more passionate about athletics than I’ve ever seen (one of) and the coaches say the same. This is also something that schools that don’t ‘recruit’ dont have as a whole (some do).

They don’t justify it because other schools do. 🙄. It leaves schools that don’t recruit to either develop what’s in the pipeline or else. I’ve been at public and private (NCHSAA member) and the publics have been far worse.

A dream school of mine to coach at is in the mountains and they don’t recruit BUT they have athletes who are more passionate about athletics than I’ve ever seen (one of) and the coaches say the same. This is also something that schools that don’t ‘recruit’ dont have as a whole (some do).
I’ll say the 4 years my son was at MH and the years my daughter has been at MH they have not recruited one kid. If someone moved in to the district then yes we got an unexpected player but other than that there has been zero recruiting what so ever. but I do agree if charters can take kids from wherever and if their head coaches are allowed to run travel teams (Winston-Salem stealers) that should be looked at in my opinion. Considering a public school head coach is very limited to the time they can put in with their players in the off season.

Last edited:
Reactions: bulldog nation2014
My main issue is almost anyone can attend a charter or prep. Do they follow the same district line rules as a traditional high school? It can be difficult for a smaller school to compete because they already have lower enrollments. If they could have almost anyone in the county or area attend their school, it would even the playing field. And I have seen charters pay parents for students to attend.

My main issue is almost anyone can attend a charter or prep. Do they follow the same district line rules as a traditional high school? It can be difficult for a smaller school to compete because they already have lower enrollments. If they could have almost anyone in the county or area attend their school, it would even the playing field. And I have seen charters pay parents for students to attend.
Of give them “assistant AD or some made up job”

Reactions: KW23
A South Carolina resident did win a state boy's golf championship for Charlotte Catholic. Can't remember what year though. I am thinking 2006.

I think this is where the nchsaa has to step in. I'm surprised there has never been any litigation regarding this. To be clear I don't dislike charters or preps. I just feel like we should be playing by the same rules. By the way, two charters are in the 1a girls bb regional and 1 prep is in the boys.

Last edited:
I think this is where the nchsaa has to step in. I'm surprised there has never been any litigation regarding this. To be clear I don't dislike charters or preps. I just feel like we should be playing by the same rules. By the way, two charters are in the 1a girls bb regional and 1 prep is in the boys.
It’s really pretty simple.

The state legislature threatened to take over the NCHSAA and that threat hangs heavy over their heads.

Those same legislators are in love with charters. They think that anybody out to make a buck can always do better at anything than the government. It’s about power, control, money, and, to some degree, legalized segregation.

The NCHSAA wouldn’t dare touch charters. And any litigation would be adjudicated by folks who think just like those legislators.

It’s really pretty simple.

The state legislature threatened to take over the NCHSAA and that threat hangs heavy over their heads.

Those same legislators are in love with charters. They think that anybody out to make a buck can always do better at anything than the government. It’s about power, control, money, and, to some degree, legalized segregation.

The NCHSAA wouldn’t dare touch charters. And any litigation would be adjudicated by folks who think just like those legislators.
I don’t have any issues with the charters playing in the 1a division as long as all the rules for 1a public apply. I know our coach can’t run a travel organization especially when it’s her team playing for that organization. And that opens a big recruiting window if you’re allowed to do that. That being said I was hoping to have a rematch with bishop had we not laid an egg against draughn

Rosman had a girls coach a while back that ran the biggest travel program in the mountains. Have the rules changed?

A South Carolina resident did win a state boy's golf championship for Charlotte Catholic. Can't remember what year though. I am thinking 2006.
That was in 2005 ... Reidsville golfer finished 2nd ... seems the Catholic kid was from Tega Kay, S.C. ... Ironic that he wasn't eligible to play for the N.C. Junior Championship but was eligible to play for the North Carolina High School Athletic Association championship.

Reactions: 97Cougar
Rosman had a girls coach a while back that ran the biggest travel program in the mountains. Have the rules changed?
What i was told by high school coaches is they are only allowed the time in June that they can have any more than 3 i believe is what they said at one time in the gym. Now when I say travel program maybe I should say county based travel program and not multiple counties and kids from different schools. Our travel team has always been our local girls so maybe thats why they said they could not do anything with them.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Why can't they? Is it a rule? I know several public hs coaches that run a travel team in softball and baseball.
I should have said local travel teams I guess. Where all the players would be at the same school the coach works at. That was what they said they were not allowed to do. Per NCHSAA rules.."If a high school coach, regardless of the sport (basketball, soccer, etc) he or she coaches at the high school, also coaches an “outside” or “club team outside the sports season but during the school year, whether head or assistant, and has any students from the high school on that outside team, he or she cannot work with any of them during a dead period, and must abide by the numbers restrictions above (reference 2.3.14.f.12) in an out-of-season workout." Which for basketball would be limited to 4.

Last edited:
I don’t have any issues with the charters playing in the 1a division as long as all the rules for 1a public apply. I know our coach can’t run a travel organization especially when it’s her team playing for that organization. And that opens a big recruiting window if you’re allowed to do that. That being said I was hoping to have a rematch with bishop had we not laid an egg against draughn
I definitely think Mt Heritage would have given Robbinsville a better game than Draughn.

Reactions: 97Cougar
Just throwing the idea out there ... But, why wouldn't they??? I bet those charter school folks feel like the whole world is against them ...

But they are successful where they are in many sports, not just basketball. I don't believe they are upset with the world is against us mentality.

Heck, let those charters stay if they want. Any school ought to appreciate good competition no matter who or what it is. Heck, let the parochial schools hang around too!

Reactions: Champ_24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT