ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte Christian @ Catholic

CatholicCougs14

Jan 4, 2013
Well the season is here boys and girls! Gonna be a great one I think and Catholic starts it off with one of the toughest games in the state. A matchup against private school favorite Charlotte Christian who returns 18 starters and 35 lettermen from last years team.

Catholic will be without LB Chase Foley who was injured, but look good elsewhere it seems like for Friday night injury wise. It will be a battle I think of who can play more disciplined football. Last year Catholic lost the turnover battle 4-0 and ended up losing the game by 7, needless to say turnovers will be key.

Catholic will have their hands full with Justus Woods and Schroder(may have spelled that wrong). Both are elite level players who will see on Saturdays soon. Catholic was able to stuff Christian's run game in the second half last year at Memorial. It'll be imperative that Catholic shuts down Christian's run game if they want to win.

Schroder never really threw the deep ball on Catholic last year and not sure he will this year, but forcing them into 3rd and long situations will be key to prevent them from picking up first downs on the ground.

As for Catholic on offense they have as good a backfield as I have seen. Milan Howard is the real deal and I think Christian will have a very tough time with him along with Lamagae McDowell(220lb sophomore full back) and Michael Neel you have three guys right there who can pound you over and over again.

I have no clue who will be the starting QB for Catholic either Senior Jackson Cure or Junior Chris Walton, but whoever it is they'll have a couple nice TEs to throw to. Sophomore Garrett McKernon(6'2"ish) and Senior Holden Schatche(6'4"). Be on the lookout for McKernon he is built very similar to John Newman while Holden is a bigger guy who can hit and block well, but has shown the ability to catch passes as well.

One key area to watch for Catholic is the DL, they'll replace three starters off of it and if they can get pressure early on that will bode well. Obviously that starts with Ari Rodriguez who is a monster inside and will be going into his third year on varsity.

All in all the key will be turnovers like it was a year ago, a turnover can fire up or deflate a crowd depending on which way it is going. If Catholic can win the turnover battle and play ball control offense like we've seen them do for decades I think they can win this game. Being at home will be a big advantage as well.

Get your cowbells out because it's go time! Catholic by 7.

Question,,,, what happened to FootOdor ?? I dont post much on here but enjoyed reading his post and replies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT