ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte Catholic vs Charlotte Christian

CatholicCougs14

Jan 4, 2013
Conference/Record(last season): Christian CISAA: 7-4(3-0)
Catholic So. Meck 8 15-0(7-0)
Last Week: First game for both teams
Series Began: 1993
Series Record: Catholic leads 7-2
Last Catholic Win: 2015, 5-0
Last Christian Win: 1999, 13-12
Largest Catholic Win: 2001, 30-6
Largest Christian Win: 1994, 46-14

Well it is finally here! We are less than a week from the start of the NC HS Football season! The "Holy War" is back on for a second straight season between the Charlotte Catholic Cougars and the Charlotte Christian Knights. Last season a baseball game broke out at Charlotte Christian as Catholic downed the Knights 5-0 behind a suffocating defense.
This season however may be different. The venue has changed to historic Memorial Stadium as the Cougars and Knights partake in the Ortho Carolina kickoff classic. The Cougars are coming off a 15-0 perfect season which saw them capture the 4A crown. The Knights last season went 7-4 their most losses in a single season since 2011.
The Cougars bring back 13 starters from last seasons team, but lost 9 of their 10 all conference players to graduation. The offense will be run by senior QB Brady Berger a backup last year. Angel Morrero and Jack Brigham return in the backfield and look for sophomore Michael Neel to possibly get playing time as well.
John Newman is back at WR and Jimmy Abate a star on last seasons 4A State Champion basketball team also went out for football this year and will be at TE/WR with Newman. The offensive line also returns several starters including G Nick Derrico who will be a leader upfront.
Defense for the Cougars will be the question mark, as they replace 3 linebackers and two very good defensive lineman. Reid Brandt and Ari Rodriguez(just a sophomore) return to anchor the DL. The question marks will be in the LB core and I have not seen enough of the Cougars to say how it'll go. The secondary will also be an area to watch, James Hurney is the biggest returning starter in the defensive backfield and will be key for the Cougars down the stretch especially vs teams like South Meck and Ardrey Kell.
I got a chance to see Christian last night at the Carolina Preps Jamboree, they have a QB I believe who is a sophmore who can sling it and a fundamentally sound offensive line. Catholic will need to shut down the running game led by Justus Woods who is a top 2018 player in NC. Also controlling the pass will be a major key. Historically before the season people have wondered about the Catholic pass defense vs a team with athletes, it will be interesting to watch how the Cougars deal with Christian's ability to throw the ball and what they do in the front 7 to stop it by getting pressure.
All in all I expect a pretty close game for the night cap of the triple header at Memorial. I think Catholic takes it, maybe a FG at the end deciding it.

I might have to stroll down there for this one. Hard to pass up a chance to watch Catholic.

I'm surprised to hear that Abate didn't play football previously. His athleticism on the basketball court stood out to me. Thought for sure that he played.

Aug. 20th
2pm Charlotte Latin vs. Providence
5pm Charlotte Country Day vs. Myers Park
8pm Charlotte Christian vs. Charlotte Catholic

I might have to stroll down there for this one. Hard to pass up a chance to watch Catholic.

I'm surprised to hear that Abate didn't play football previously. His athleticism on the basketball court stood out to me. Thought for sure that he played.
Come on down! And he may have played on JV, but was not on football last year. Gonna be an exciting year though!

Good win by Christian, but Catholic was sloppy tonight. 4 turnovers, sacks, penalties. Mental mistakes that will get corrected

Didn't see that loss coming. Charlotte Christian must have considerably improved over the last few years to put a loss on Catholic.

Didn't see that loss coming. Charlotte Christian must have considerably improved over the last few years to put a loss on Catholic.
Christian has won 3 titles in 4 years and almost beat Mallard Creek a couple years ago lol they've been this good. Remember last year CC won 5-0 it was very evenly matched.

The game came down to execution and Christian out executed Catholic. The Cougars had 4 turnovers, forced none, several sacks, penalties. Just sloppy football. First game yes but for Catholic you don't often see that. I was however impressed by the fight in these kids, never felt like they were out of it and had the ball with a minute left and a timeout with a chance to tie.
I think Catholic will get better as the season goes along, not sure this is a "down year" for Catholic, although a down year for CC is 2 losses. The OL will jell and new players will come into their own.
Christian really didn't do anything shocking on offense, lots of read option, short dinky passes. However, they did that very, very well. They ran that offense to perfection. Justus Woods didn't have any huge breakaway runs, but he did get his yards. Not sure how many maybe someone can update me. However, the QB was solid in what he threw, nothing deep down the field but Catholic just could not get to him. That is one thing that did Catholic in was little to no pass rush at times. That must change and I think will come conference play.
All in all CC took the L, but they'll be fine. Excited for the home opener next week vs Providence Day.
However, one interesting fact. This Catholic's first opening week loss since 1998.

Christian has won 3 titles in 4 years and almost beat Mallard Creek a couple years ago lol they've been this good. Remember last year CC won 5-0 it was very evenly matched.
I'm aware of their success in private school titles. Speaking more about wins vs higher level non conference opponents. Christian is a tough opponent for s small school.

Question: What's parking like after last year's finished construction. Did they make a parking deck?

I'm aware of their success in private school titles. Speaking more about wins vs higher level non conference opponents. Christian is a tough opponent for s small school.

Question: What's parking like after last year's finished construction. Did they make a parking deck?
Not sure if the parking deck there as made recently. It was there in 2014, but yes there is a parking deck and several lots next to that deck for parking. For me parking was not a problem.

Parking deck at Memorial or Catholic? Yes to both. Catholic's parking deck was in use last year.

Christian has been a power for several years going back to about 2009 putting a lot of kids on BCS/A5 rosters. They are very meticulous making few mental mistakes and they are aggressive. One of the elite coaching staffs in the state. Impressive program.

Mighty quite on this one. Anyone heard the score?
Jmac don't let the score indicate that this was actually a
close game. Christian led start to finish, up 17-6 at the half with Catholics lone score coming late with the aid of a late hit
PF changing it from 3rd and 17 to 3rd and 2 then Catholic scored near end of half. Christian much more conservative the second half with only a fg, Catholics other score came very late
in the game. Actually I left around the 4 minute mark with
Christian having the ball around mid field first down up 20-6.
It was a long day of football, had been there since 3. Late game
kicked off at 8:45. The QB for Christian looked very good (Schrader a soph.)
Christian scored td's their first 2 possessions and a fg 4th possession and never really looked back.

close game. Christian led start to finish, up 17-6 at the half with Catholics lone score coming late with the aid of a late hit
PF changing it from 3rd and 17 to 3rd and 2 then Catholic scored near end of half. Christian much more conservative the second half with only a fg, Catholics other score came very late
Christian scored td's their first 2 possessions and a fg 4th possession and never really looked back.
You probably saw me then :p

Scots -Teams that know Catholic seem to do much better than ones who don't. I saw Christian last year beat Myrtle Beach and they gave Catholic fits and I didn't think they were world beaters. Some teams just match-up well with others and I think this is the case. That was a long day of ball you were a trooper.

Myers Park and Christian best 2 teams there, both looked
good. Opponents may have had something to do with it
though. Unsure how good C Day is.
I was very impressed with the student turnout of virtually
all the teams there. Having a student type section is
something to look into maybe at some type of reduced
price. There support was great win or lose

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT