ADVERTISEMENT

Change is coming!!!!!! Get Ready!!

i think it is a perfectly good solution, except in football where at this time there are not enough charters playing football.

Now i pose the second question, WSP is a public school in an open enrollment county. How are you going to handle them and not effect other schools that have won numerous C-Ships in a short span? I got to think that what they pass for one public school will have to apply to all public schools. I am not defending WSP. Don't like what they have done either.

I agree. WSP is a problem! One that I don't have a good answer for.

they will NEVER be bigger than 1A...can't get kids to go to that school unless it's sports affiliated....there's no other draw....whatever happened to the talk about moving their campus to WSSU??

recycled, in theory that seems like it would work but in reality it would make it even tougher on some true 1A schools that are struggling in mnay ways. One reason for forms of open enrollment is to attempt to even the enrollments out to some degree or bolster a school that is deficient in some way. A system may not have "open enrollment" but will allow certain schools to receive "transfers" from certain other schools. A much smaller school that is possibly somewhat isolated may be allowed to receive students from a larger school to attempt to bolster their enrollment. I think this is where the 365 sitout should be in place. Once again, this is not a broad brush issue and is much more difficult than what would appear to be a simple fix.

they will NEVER be bigger than 1A...can't get kids to go to that school unless it's sports affiliated....there's no other draw....whatever happened to the talk about moving their campus to WSSU??
Bareman, that was a real possibility since the building holds around 900 and only around 400 attend. It was much needed as a new home for Hanes MS that is on 2 campuses now. (They were the school on contaminated grounds from factory across the street) I would have to dig back through old board minutes, but if my memory serves me correctly ( which always doesn't) details between WSFCS and WSSU could not be worked out. That was the same time it was discussed possibly closing it. I have to believe, no research at all, other than a dozen or so athletes the rest of the students are zoned there. Uttb could possibly answer that question better.

Another question, latest on DP? You can send it to me via private msg. If you prefer. I last spoke with him about 3 weeks ago.
Thanks

That was me and it was discussed, but not going to happen. Test scores for all NC public schools are public record and yes they are a low performing HS. They will have to show improvements or other drastic actions could happen, even closing. They are not the only HS in the system that had under performing scores. Some would surprise you. I am not even going to get into why WSP will stay open, maybe someone else will have to tackle that one. All I am saying is, no it is not fair, but they are not a charter or a parochial, they are a public school. When you put restrictions on one public school, it is going to have to be for all public schools. As btango and others have said numerous times, it is the WSFCS system that creates the problem, not WSP.
Can't they make a new rule to cover only the advantaged schools in counties with open enrollment. I think there is a fix and they (NCHSAA) don't want to go against a large county like Forsyth............ Open enrollment counties should have different rules if they want to be different .........

eagle, same as I've been dealing with for over a decade. Fridaynitelights can say that you came out from under a rock but no big deal. By the way, just refer to him as "photo" since that was his name before he left this site with his tail between his legs. His school, Mt. Airy, has for decades used athletes from out of their district but no big deal either.

Hey sportsnut (moderator) I guess this is okay because he supports traditional agenda. Its okay, I understand!
Sense you still hide your profile and most of us don't , do you also not want us to know what school you pull for. I am just curious sense most on here also will say the school they support. I don't really care but it is odd to me that you seem to support only the non-traditional agenda and not a school.

eagle, same as I've been dealing with for over a decade. Fridaynitelights can say that you came out from under a rock but no big deal. By the way, just refer to him as "photo" since that was his name before he left this site with his tail between his legs. His school, Mt. Airy, has for decades used athletes from out of their district but no big deal either.
LOL .... I want fall for that trap except I have never left but I did ask for a name change due to you an another constant personal attacks on Mount Airy fans.Not all schools have the huge advantage as the school your 3 Daughters attended. Would you like to tell us what year you moved from, was it Illinois to the area and the distance you live from that school they attended and did this school have more advantages in sports for them then from where you moved.By the way change will come and you just hate to see the advantaged schools losing their huge advantage. And as always I will give you the last word because as most in your profession hate knowing you have a lossing cause but most don't admit being guilty and still fight on. By the way you don't have to answer the questions I asked I just want others to wonder as I do. Good luck to your school next year as they had a bad year after that 9 year run of state championships and 9 years of being ranked #1 in the state, oh you don't need luck with that large,huge no Metropolis area your 1A school has to draw from and notice I am being politically correct and not calling it the blankety-blank word you hate so bad and just used. :) Have a good day and have at it !

LOL.... some can't debate the facts because they know the facts are against them so they have to turn to bashing ...........o_O

That's right, you support that long-time "legally cheating" school, Mt. Airy with their "legally cheating" agenda..
As I have said many times, anything I post on here or anywhere else is my personal opinion and mine alone I do not talk for any school but I have been know to talk against several advantaged schools in the area . You sure do let it get to you when someone turns to using the facts with posts to back it up. LOL I have a good one coming for you on my next thread ..............As I once said , you are you schools worst enemy because the more you bash me the deeper I dig and i've been saving this just for your next bash. You can look back at 12:30 it has been in a draft for a day waiting for another of your personal attacks .
I may rest my case as you may say with this new thread as it says a lot and is backed up on the NCHSAA website.

Last edited:
sorry to disappoint you photo, I moved to the Triad more than 30 years ago, children attended Catholic elementary schools K-8 and Bishop McGuinness 9-12. Live 10 minutes from Bishops front door. In 30 years have seen many a Mt. Airy football and basketball team with out of district players....and yes, you left the site with your tail between your legs, even had a "pole" as you called it to see if you should stay or go. Humorous.

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever
sorry to disappoint you photo, I moved to the Triad more than 30 years ago, children attended Catholic elementary schools K-8 and Bishop McGuinness 9-12. Live 10 minutes from Bishops front door. In 30 years have seen many a Mt. Airy football and basketball team with out of district players....and yes, you left the site with your tail between your legs, even had a "pole" as you called it to see if you should stay or go. Humorous.
Ok you have posted all three of your daughters played at Bishop ,what year did your daughters start high school there and what year did they graduate ?

WSP is not the same as the other schools in the county. WSP can get kids out of County. The other schools cannot. Yes, WSP can and should be singled out!

Reactions: VIKING STRONG
Other than political considerations, is there any reason that the NCHSAA couldn't adopt a 365 day waiting period for transfers on a statewide basis? That isn't the total answer to the problem. But it would address those players who school shop for the most competitive team in their sport.
If students change schools for academic reasons, athletics should be a secondary consideration.

WSP is not the same as the other schools in the county. WSP can get kids out of County. The other schools cannot. Yes, WSP can and should be singled out!
They can not, if anyone attends there they have physically move to Winston-Salem. I don't know how many time it has to be said, they are a public school in the WSFCS.

Other than political considerations, is there any reason that the NCHSAA couldn't adopt a 365 day waiting period for transfers on a statewide basis? That isn't the total answer to the problem. But it would address those players who school shop for the most competitive team in their sport.
If students change schools for academic reasons, athletics should be a secondary consideration.
OC, don't have a definite answer, but I do not think they want to be involved in running local LEA's. Btango can certainly answer this question better.

OC, don't have a definite answer, but I do not think they want to be involved in running local LEA's. Btango can certainly answer this question better.
I hear what you're saying, Sportsnut. But they already make many rules for LEA's when it comes to athletics. They decide which conference affiliation the school has, which dramatically impacts the budget. They mandate minimum grade standards for eligibility. They have a rule related to eligibility regarding those convicted of felonies.
As I said, other than political considerations. I think this is solely a political consideration. This wouldn't affect students' ability to transfer, only their athletic eligibility.

Reactions: Sportsnut17

I would like confirmation on this. They have had players move from outside the county into Forsyth County and play sports but I am not aware of players that were on the team from outside the county. I have seen the same accusation about a fellow conference member that is a traditional school.

Yes, I think my airy got kids from other districts in 09 when we lost by one point to them in the Western finals. I was not happy about it and thought it was cheating, but it is small compared to the advantage schools.
Has Mt airy won 9 state titles in a row? No!

Silver spoons should go up a class! It's coming soon.

I hear what you're saying, Sportsnut. But they already make many rules for LEA's when it comes to athletics. They decide which conference affiliation the school has, which dramatically impacts the budget. They mandate minimum grade standards for eligibility. They have a rule related to eligibility regarding those convicted of felonies.
As I said, other than political considerations. I think this is solely a political consideration. This wouldn't affect students' ability to transfer, only their athletic eligibility.

I do not think the NCHSAA mandates minimum grade standards unless that changed recently which it may have.

I have been told by two directors that there were issues with dictating some policies to LEA's and my question was based on residency and true transfers. Remember we have seen big time athletes transfer to a school for their senior year and be allowed to play. Not a physical move but a true transfer. I remember one was allowed to join a magnet program which was the reason the county, Durham, approved it. We also had the Forsyth County issues with players changing teams during the season. This is not a first time thing, RJ Reynolds was the focus of the same issues but they were a 4A school.

Charlotte Meck looked at this in 2008. They wanted all students that changed school within the county to sit out 365 days. This was already in place for a true transfer but they reviewed it for any student moving into the system. They dropped it for out of county students moving in. Students moving within the county was then ruled out. They then decided it would be only for a student that moved from his previous school to a new school that a former coach had moved to in the last 12 months. Inhouse legal counsel and outside legal counsel determined that if a student moved into a district and was attending his home district school that they could not forbid him from participating in extracurriculars to include sports.

My guess is if a student or parent stated they were moving for a sport a system would have the legal ability to require a sitout but only if it were a written rule. Hard to prove in most cases.

I do not think the NCHSAA mandates minimum grade standards unless that changed recently which it may have.

I have been told by two directors that there were issues with dictating some policies to LEA's and my question was based on residency and true transfers. Remember we have seen big time athletes transfer to a school for their senior year and be allowed to play. Not a physical move but a true transfer. I remember one was allowed to join a magnet program which was the reason the county, Durham, approved it. We also had the Forsyth County issues with players changing teams during the season. This is not a first time thing, RJ Reynolds was the focus of the same issues but they were a 4A school.
The Reyshawn Terry rule as referred to in WS. That was early 2000's, and that was changed immediately. But it did happen. Played on Tuesday for Glenn and on Friday for RJR.

Last edited:
Yes, Reyshawn Terry.

Charlotte Meck was the "Eric Lyons" Rule in 2000. His family moved into the Indy district from Vance during his senior season and he immediately played at Indy. The following school year CMS mandated that an athlete could only play for one school per season. Lyons was the only starter on the first Indy state title team in 2000 that was not at Indy the previous school year.

I need the name (s) of the out of district kids at MA in '09.....I still have the rosters and will honestly tell you if the kid was legal/illegal...

There has been a ton of crazy things that has occurred here in Winston but we Forsyth folks tend to keep our crap to ourselves. But there can be kids who live outside Forsyth county and attend ANY school in Forsyth county if they're willing to pay the tuition fee. Other than that they must be a resident and have paperwork if they attend a school other than their homeschool. Awe have two two-week periods where any kid in the county can fill out the paperwork to attend ANY school in the county. There's a couple schools that's hard to get into but WSP isn't one of them!!!

We have had one kid that liveed in Andrews and played for us. He was on the team from 2011 until 2014. He was a very good FG kicker. He also kickd off. He dad was a teacher here. I don't have a problem with this kind of out of County players.
We had Spencer McCoy 2011 and 12 but he moved here.
We also had a kid from S.C in 2013 and 14. He was a solid linebacker. He also moved here with his mother. Nothing wrong with that to me.
I am hearing we have a junior from Andrews that is in the process of moving to Robbinsville with his family.

Your post stated they had lost to all the 3&4A teams they had played,I was just correcting you that they did beat West Forsyth 3rd place and Reagan 4th place.. Why exaggerate , post it like it is . Not many 1A schools can beat 3rd and 4th place 4A schools. Only a open enrollment magnet school from an area of 361,000 to pull from like WSP has the best chance. Do you want to tell us what school you are from or pull for.
Lincoln Charter Eagles = EaglePride23 Maybe..

We have had one kid that liveed in Andrews and played for us. He was on the team from 2011 until 2014. He was a very good FG kicker. He also kickd off. He dad was a teacher here. I don't have a problem with this kind of out of County players.
We had Spencer McCoy 2011 and 12 but he moved here.
We also had a kid from S.C in 2013 and 14. He was a solid linebacker. He also moved here with his mother. Nothing wrong with that to me.
I am hearing we have a junior from Andrews that is in the process of moving to Robbinsville with his family.

If someone moves there they should be allowed to play! If a person works or teaches at the school the child should be allowed to attend and play sports.

I need the name (s) of the out of district kids at MA in '09.....I still have the rosters and will honestly tell you if the kid was legal/illegal...

If they did not live in the district it does not mean they were illegal participants. If the school system approves them to attend and play then they are legal. Same as WSP. As one other poster noted some counties have students that pay tuition if they live outside the local taxing authority area that covers the school which may be a city or county.

Lincoln Charter Eagles = EaglePride23 Maybe..

Man you cracked the code. Good job but as smart as you are you must know that there are other Eagles.
I could pull for Davie, East Bladen, Hiwassee Dam, Wilkes Central, East Meck or even East Forsyth Eagles. But you have it figured out....Or I could be a Philadelphia Eagles or Boston College....the list goes on....I do like watching Lincoln Charter play and East Forsyth but sorry neither are my team. Eagle is simply American Pride. Just don't like the bashing of nontraditional schools and people classifying all as cheaters or advantageous schools when public (cheating, recruiting, etc.) is the reason nontraditional schools started.
But honestly, what does it matter who I pull for? Just curious as to what the big deal is. I enjoy watching high school at all levels and all sports. I've seen 1a-4a public cheat or bend the rules to their favor and I've seen 1a-4a nons do the same. But it doesn't impact how I still enjoy Friday nights, the smell of winter basketball gyms, or the spring bats and runners doing their thing. It is about the kids and nothing else matters. I think we all need to remember that.

yea, earlier in this thread he wants to know when my daughters played bball and when they graduated.....lol

Man you cracked the code. Good job but as smart as you are you must know that there are other Eagles.
I could pull for Davie, East Bladen, Hiwassee Dam, Wilkes Central, East Meck or even East Forsyth Eagles. But you have it figured out....Or I could be a Philadelphia Eagles or Boston College....the list goes on....I do like watching Lincoln Charter play and East Forsyth but sorry neither are my team. Eagle is simply American Pride. Just don't like the bashing of nontraditional schools and people classifying all as cheaters or advantageous schools when public (cheating, recruiting, etc.) is the reason nontraditional schools started.
But honestly, what does it matter who I pull for? Just curious as to what the big deal is. I enjoy watching high school at all levels and all sports. I've seen 1a-4a public cheat or bend the rules to their favor and I've seen 1a-4a nons do the same. But it doesn't impact how I still enjoy Friday nights, the smell of winter basketball gyms, or the spring bats and runners doing their thing. It is about the kids and nothing else matters. I think we all need to remember that.
I have to say the last part of your post was the best and most sensible have seen come from you ! You will catch on. Everyone has to learn the ropes on here and will ofter say dumb things and not so dumb things and catch it from some either way. Hang in there , most all new comers get picked on and we all have a cause at times when there is no football or basketball and especially after basketball ......

Last edited:
yea, earlier in this thread he wants to know when my daughters played bball and when they graduated.....lol
That's right. I was curious to if all 3 daughters owned a state 1A title every year each of them played on the varsity team those 9 years of state 1A championships and you did not repy because you knew where it was going if I was right . I bet the ones that played against them know if it is so ..........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT