ADVERTISEMENT

Change is coming!!!!!! Get Ready!!

Mont1963

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2013
Buckle up and get ready. I have talked to enough people "in the know" to know that the traditional 1A schools in the state are beginning to "rattle the sabre!!" They are sick and tired of the unfair advantages that the charter schools have and are going to do something about it.

I have been told that if the NCHSAA will not/can not make a change then they will propose drastic action, even going as far as forming a new Association for 1A schools. This sounds reasonable to me. I say go for it!!

This is not just a few disgruntled coaches and fans. I have spoken with Coaches, Principals, Superintendents, AD's and School Board members from various schools. Most are OUTRAGED, to say the least!!! The sentiment usually fades after the basketball season is over, but I got a feeling that it will be different this year!

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/...eform-needed-nontraditional-schools/82209638/

Here's hoping your right. I do think that it will require them to form their own association. From what I hear, the legislators are/have put far too much pressure on the NCHSAA for them to take these steps.

Buckle up and get ready. I have talked to enough people "in the know" to know that the traditional 1A schools in the state are beginning to "rattle the sabre!!" They are sick and tired of the unfair advantages that the charter schools have and are going to do something about it.

I have been told that if the NCHSAA will not/can not make a change then they will propose drastic action, even going as far as forming a new Association for 1A schools. This sounds reasonable to me. I say go for it!!

This is not just a few disgruntled coaches and fans. I have spoken with Coaches, Principals, Superintendents, AD's and School Board members from various schools. Most are OUTRAGED, to say the least!!! The sentiment usually fades after the basketball season is over, but I got a feeling that it will be different this year!

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/...eform-needed-nontraditional-schools/82209638/

Very hypocritical coming from a Braves fan who fields a different team in basketball each year. Where will your next set of transfer "mysteriously" come from next season. Traditional schools created the problems from the beginning prompting parents, kids to go to other places to stop the cheating. Sucks when you guys that have cheated for years now are crying because you feel slighted. Again, and I will say this for the last time, THERE ARE NO ADVANTAGES FOR ANY NONTRADITIONAL SCHOOLS. THERE IS A LOTTERY AND YOU CANNOT HAND PICK THE KIDS. And again, what stud is going to come play for 1A? I saw Hayesville, Cherokee, Mt. Airy, Starmount, Albemarle and I saw Lincoln Charter, Voyager, WSP, Queens, Mt. Island and I have to say there wasn't much difference between the teams. Voyager had the big kid but his dad was the coach. Same as Hayesville...their dad is the coach...what's the difference? None of these teams could have won the 2A, 3A, or 4A states...stop crying because that is all it is. Your claim is "they pull from bigger areas like Charlotte, Winton, etc." Do you not think if they were cheating or trying to play "unfair" that the teams would be WAY better since they are pulling from these areas? Most of you, before you get on here and start your crying chants, need to do some research and know what you are talking about before slapping charges against these schools, their kids, and the administration. I hope these are kids on here stating these things because I refuse to believe that ADULTS act this way.

Reactions: VIKING STRONG
The out cry of this farce gets louder and carries on longer ever year after basketball season. Change is coming and more and more coaches speaking up through the newspapers. That is what it will take. People listen and and heads turn when the presses start rolling out the news.:cool:

Very hypocritical coming from a Braves fan who fields a different team in basketball each year. Where will your next set of transfer "mysteriously" come from next season. Traditional schools created the problems from the beginning prompting parents, kids to go to other places to stop the cheating. Sucks when you guys that have cheated for years now are crying because you feel slighted. Again, and I will say this for the last time, THERE ARE NO ADVANTAGES FOR ANY NONTRADITIONAL SCHOOLS. THERE IS A LOTTERY AND YOU CANNOT HAND PICK THE KIDS. And again, what stud is going to come play for 1A? I saw Hayesville, Cherokee, Mt. Airy, Starmount, Albemarle and I saw Lincoln Charter, Voyager, WSP, Queens, Mt. Island and I have to say there wasn't much difference between the teams. Voyager had the big kid but his dad was the coach. Same as Hayesville...their dad is the coach...what's the difference? None of these teams could have won the 2A, 3A, or 4A states...stop crying because that is all it is. Your claim is "they pull from bigger areas like Charlotte, Winton, etc." Do you not think if they were cheating or trying to play "unfair" that the teams would be WAY better since they are pulling from these areas? Most of you, before you get on here and start your crying chants, need to do some research and know what you are talking about before slapping charges against these schools, their kids, and the administration. I hope these are kids on here stating these things because I refuse to believe that ADULTS act this way.

Eagle are you serious? Do you honestly expect me to believe that your dumb enough not to see that a school in an area of 360,000+ residents cannot field superior talent compared to a school in an area of 10,000 residents? Sorry not buying it, I don't believe your that dumb. However I do believe that you can see the change coming is going to force these "non traditional" schools into a situation where they won't be able to have such an easy road to the state championship. The changes are going to force them to "compete" on a yearly basis, instead of "dominate" and that is what upsets you.

Eagle I know that this has been said over and over again but its true. If these non traditional ADVANTAGE schools are using a lottery system accurately and they are still getting those kinds of athletes then they should ho out a buy a lottery ticket, or go to Vagas and play the card tables and the slot machines because they are the luckiest people I know, BUT we both know what's going on. Deny it all you want but you haven't got ANYONE here fooled. Lol.

Last edited:
Again, you guys are idiots. And I could care less what happens and who plays where. But again, if they were all recruiting then they would beat 1a, 2a, 3a, and 4a...last I checked WSP was beaten by all 4a schools and 3a schools they played. And its just like other schools claiming kids mysteriously transfer in but that's okay because they are traditional schools, right!?

Well you checked wrong so who would be the idiot or may be time for new glasses.

Again, you guys are idiots. And I could care less what happens and who plays where. But again, if they were all recruiting then they would beat 1a, 2a, 3a, and 4a...last I checked WSP was beaten by all 4a schools and 3a schools they played. And its just like other schools claiming kids mysteriously transfer in but that's okay because they are traditional schools, right!?
EaglePride, welcome to NcPreps, but let's ease up on the name calling. You can state your case and opinions without that.

Check again ! WS Prep boys played and beat 4A Reagan 1st and played 4A West Forsyth twice and won both games. WSP girls played 6 4A schools in and around Winston and beat all 6 so you are fooling no one.This comes from the same website that the NCHSAA gets their scores.I trust no one that has only14 posts and hides their profile

Last edited:
Eagle are you serious? Do you honestly expect me to believe that your dumb enough not to see that a school in an area of 360,000+ residents cannot field superior talent compared to a school in an area of 10,000 residents? Sorry not buying it, I don't believe your that dumb. However I do believe that you can see the change coming is going to force these "non traditional" schools into a situation where they won't be able to have such an easy road to the state championship. The changes are going to force them to "compete" on a yearly basis, instead of "dominate" and that is what upsets you.
I am trying to figure how long he was under that rock he just came out from under. His nonsense is blowing my mind.:confused: ..... He needs to do some serious research ............ only 14 posts he has a lot to learn.

Last edited:
Check again ! WS Prep boys played and beat 4A Reagan 1st and played 4A West Forsyth twice and beat they both games. WSP girls played 6 4A schools in and around Winston and beat all 6 so you are fooling no one.This comes from the same website that the NCHSAA gets their scores.I trust no one that has only14 posts and hides their profile

Mount Tabor 4a Loss, George Washington 4a loss, Greensboro Day 3a loss...so how is that not correct reporting? .......West Forsyth and Reagan are the worst teams in that area. Again, they can't beat 4a or 3a with that solid recruiting and unfair advantage they are given. Haha...you proved your own point. You are like the media, you twisted that to fit your agenda. Failed to mention the other 5 losses they had again 4a and 3a schools. I guess they need to start recruiting harder so they can beat those teams. With the influx of studs they can choose from its only a matter of time before they cut the nets down (sarcasm).

Mount Tabor 4a Loss, George Washington 4a loss, Greensboro Day 3a loss...so how is that not correct reporting? .....football section are the worst teams in that area. Again, they can't beat 4a or 3a with that solid recruiting and unfair advantage they are given. Haha...you proved your own point. You are like the media, you twisted that to fit your agenda. Failed to mention the other 5 losses they had again 4a and 3a schools. I guess they need to start recruiting harder so they can beat those teams. With the influx of studs they can choose from its only a matter of time before they cut the nets down (sarcasm).
Your post stated they had lost to all the 3&4A teams they had played,I was just correcting you that they did beat West Forsyth 3rd place and Reagan 4th place.. Why exaggerate , post it like it is . Not many 1A schools can beat 3rd and 4th place 4A schools. Only a open enrollment magnet school from an area of 361,000 to pull from like WSP has the best chance. Do you want to tell us what school you are from or pull for.

Last edited:
You want correct reporting, most traditional schools have never reached the final four, that have been doing this 40 and 50 years and when one of these traditionals finally get enough talent and fight hard to get there up pops a school that hasn't been around 15 years with 3 straight trophies and 5 straight championship appearances. That never has to rebuild, they just recruit and reload. Heck some of them don't even have a jv team. How do you think they fill those spots without jv's to pull from? Lol. We know what is going on, the NCHSAA knows what's going on and now the out cry of people demand change. Sorry were still not buying it and No one is fooled.

Mount Tabor 4a Loss, George Washington 4a loss, Greensboro Day 3a loss...so how is that not correct reporting? .......West Forsyth and Reagan are the worst teams in that area. Again, they can't beat 4a or 3a with that solid recruiting and unfair advantage they are given. Haha...you proved your own point. You are like the media, you twisted that to fit your agenda. Failed to mention the other 5 losses they had again 4a and 3a schools. I guess they need to start recruiting harder so they can beat those teams. With the influx of studs they can choose from its only a matter of time before they cut the nets down (sarcasm).

They beat WF twice when 3 starters were still at football, doubt they beat them when they were at full strength. I certainly do not think WF was one of the worst teams in the area.

Still doubt anything changes

I think what you meant to say is you hope nothing changes. Lol. I think FNL said it best when he said "its amazing how many advantages admit they have an advantage and come on here and try to rub the fact that they have unfair advantages on everyone else".

stop with the "rub the fact" idiocy. Go look at the front page of this 1A forum. Of the last 9 threads posted 2 deal with championship scores, 1 with
NCAA brackets and the other SIX are all about charters.

PS friday, Bishop girls would never have had their streak without major, major choke jobs by the Lady Bears. They choked against Mitchell in the Western Regional when they absolutely owned Bishop that year, they choked on their home floor with a 9 point lead with minutes to go after destroying Bishop 3 out of 3 within the prior 3 weeks.Then you use the word "cheating" in one of the several posts you have started. Maybe "not choking" is more appropriate.

3D ....Change is coming and gets closer ever year. This year may bring it I hope but if not they're is a growing movement to get it done. Go on admitting it is an unfair advantage but whining when everyone complains .I will not debate this with you....... Are you bipolar or just like speaking with a forked tongue ? And as for the last 9 threads , seems that is what people are pissed and want to talk about and I was not the first to bring up the subject but as always I am the one you blame. The blame and problem falls with 1A schools with the unfair advantage that you say is unfair but support, centered in and around Forsyth Co. and how many other schools in the state choked playing Bishop with those 9 back to back years of state championships and #1 rankings. You are pathetic and have now ground to stand on. You just like to take on a losing cause. Everyone knows it is unfair. sobre [terminado hecho] .... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am asking a serious question, I have stated numerous times I am against open enrollment. I could see change coming in charter and parochial schools. My question is this, what do you think will happen to WSP? They are a public HS in a system with12 other public HS. The whole county is open enrollment, as are other counties, by your terminology they all are advantaged. What does NCHSSA do with the other 12. Do you think they can just single out WSP?

TD, I am not picking an argument with you, just trying to stimulate good healthy debate.

I honestly think with them in a county of that size and can get taller players with more talent ,I believe that they need to play up to 2A to start and if they keep winning then 3A or 4A. And a question to you, how well are they doing in school ? The ones that play sports.

I honestly think with them in a county of that size and can get taller players with more talent ,I believe that they need to play up to 2A to start and if they keep winning then 3A or 4A. And a question to you, how well are they doing in school ? The ones that play sports.

I have no idea to your last question, have never stepped on the grounds of the school. I have actually never seen them play a basketball game, boys or girls. I did see one football game this year.

As stated in one of these many threads, they are a public HS, do you move up another public HS that wins 2-5 c-ships in 5 years? Leave parochial and charters out of this.

I have no idea to your last question, have never stepped on the grounds of the school. I have actually never seen them play a basketball game, boys or girls. I did see one football game this year.

As stated in one of these many threads, they are a public HS, do you move up another public HS that wins 2-5 c-ships in 5 years? Leave parochial and charters out of this.
OBTW, this discussion is not only directed at FNL, others may comment. also.

Last edited:
OBTW, this discussion is not only directed at TD, others may comment. also.
Someone posted somewhere they were doing poorly as a school and talk was that they should close it because a middle schools was needed in that area.
I do not stand alone on the idea that something needs to be done to level the playing field. I am 100 % for a change and the fix needs to start at the 1A level and move up as needed and it may be 5 years down but I think as these schools grow the problem will move up. That is all I want to talk about it at this time. It is going to happen sooner or later so it needs to be done sooner and get it over with. I will set back and see if what I am hearing causes some kind a change soon. Now others speak up your feelings on this unfairness forced on our public schools ....

Someone posted somewhere they were doing poorly as a school and talk was that they should close it because a middle schools was needed in that area.
I do not stand alone on the idea that something needs to be done to level the playing field. I am 100 % for a change and the fix needs to start at the 1A level and move up as needed and it may be 5 years down but I think as these schools grow the problem will move up. That is all I want to talk about it at this time. It is going to happen sooner or later so it needs to be done sooner and get it over with. I will set back and see if what I am hearing causes some kind a change soon. Now others speak up your feelings on this unfairness forced on our public schools ....
That was me and it was discussed, but not going to happen. Test scores for all NC public schools are public record and yes they are a low performing HS. They will have to show improvements or other drastic actions could happen, even closing. They are not the only HS in the system that had under performing scores. Some would surprise you. I am not even going to get into why WSP will stay open, maybe someone else will have to tackle that one. All I am saying is, no it is not fair, but they are not a charter or a parochial, they are a public school. When you put restrictions on one public school, it is going to have to be for all public schools. As btango and others have said numerous times, it is the WSFCS system that creates the problem, not WSP.

Should say it as it is . They are a public magnet open enrollment HS in a county of 361,000 people to get the best players possible to dominate 1A sports with. Can you say that is fair to other 1A schools ?

I guess the question on Low-Performing Schools if that fits what I found is do you reward them with playing sports without passing grades ? Or do they have to have passing grades to play sports. Either way you look at it ,something needs to be done about advantaged schools. I found this interesting. Not sure where WSP fits in this but it is on WSP's page. Something else to debate I guess.
http://wsfcs.k12.nc.us/site/default...2A&RenderLoc=0&FlexDataID=193660&PageID=10911

Last edited:
I guess the question on Low-Performing Schools if that fits what I found is do you reward them with playing sports without passing grades ? Or do they have to have passing grades to play sports. Either way you look at it ,something needs to be done about advantaged schools. I found this interesting. Not sure where WSP fits in this but it is on WSP's page. Something is to debate I guess.
http://wsfcs.k12.nc.us/site/default...2A&RenderLoc=0&FlexDataID=193660&PageID=10911
WSFCS has a 2.0 GPA for all extracurricular activities, higher than NCHSAA requires. I know numerous student athletes that met NCHSAA requirements, but not WSFCS. And I don't mean WSP, as I said before all I know about prep is what I read.

By the way I have never been to any game of any type of WSP or 2A Walkertown playing 1A but moving up in 2017. I did go to an Atkins Football game and there was more football players on the field than fans in the stands on Atkins side. Blowed my mind..... Sportsnut17 was at that game maybe around 2012 and Atkins got 72 points scored on them and everyone played except the cheerleaders I don't remember if Atkins scored but I think maybe 2 TDs late in the game. They had a really good girls basketball team this year that lost to, who else but WSP in the playoffs....Anyway they are going 2A also which is good as they bring no followers / gate.

Last edited:
By the way I have never been to any game of any type of WSP or 2A Walkertown playing 1A but moving up in 2017. I did go to an Atkins Football game and there was more football players on the field than fans in the stands. Blowed my mind..... Sportsnut17 was at that game maybe around 2012 and Atkins got 72 points scored on them and everyone played except the cheerleaders I don't remember if Atkins scored but I think maybe 2 TDs late in the game. They had a really good girls basketball team this year that lost to, who else but WSP in the playoffs....Anyway they are going 2A also which is good as they bring no followers / gate.

Is it Walkertown's fault the state only does realignment every 4 years? I was at the Walkertown/Mt. Airy game this year, plenty of seating available on both sides.

Is it Walkertown's fault the state only does realignment every 4 years? I was at the Walkertown/Mt. Airy game this year, plenty of seating available on both sides.
Didn't say it was their fault, just making a point they were moving up in 2017. They moved up fast. At this rate they may be 3A the 2021 realignment.Just been you and I so I am going to let someone else take over.
ADM in 2015 --- 778
ADM in 2014 --- 743
ADM in 2013 --- 660
ADM in 2012 --- 465

This is about the "DUMBEST" post I have seen in a long time!!! RITFLMBO!

Reactions: Griddie
Could someone explain to me what would be wrong with the 1A ranks having a separate state championship for "traditional" schools and "nontraditional" schools? We have two separate championships for all classes in football (i.e. 1A, 1AA). This was done to help level the playing field. Let's go that route in all other sports, except instead of 1A/1AA, it would be 1A Traditonal/!A Charters. That way everybody is happy!

Could someone explain to me what would be wrong with the 1A ranks having a separate state championship for "traditional" schools and "nontraditional" schools? We have two separate championships for all classes in football (i.e. 1A, 1AA). This was done to help level the playing field. Let's go that route in all other sports, except instead of 1A/1AA, it would be 1A Traditonal/!A Charters. That way everybody is happy!
i think it is a perfectly good solution, except in football where at this time there are not enough charters playing football.

Now i pose the second question, WSP is a public school in an open enrollment county. How are you going to handle them and not effect other schools that have won numerous C-Ships in a short span? I got to think that what they pass for one public school will have to apply to all public schools. I am not defending WSP. Don't like what they have done either.

I have no issue with it but I thinik sportsnut is on target. This has been the issue with the Board of Directors, how do you determine who is in which sub class.

There is no way that they need to sub-divide all sports. A few years ago I looked back at the basketball regional finals and title games over the previous ten years and schools that were in the small sub-divided in football did well in the hoops playoffs. I think eight in football is too many and definitely would be in non football sports. I do not think you need a state champion for every 50 or so schools.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
There's nothing they can do besides single out WSP or single out Forsyth County. WSP will be 1A if you use a multiplier due to their low enrollment and it will be just as unfair to make a rule or rules for one school!! I've stated plenty of times that the problem is open enrollment and trust me everyone in Forsyth County isn't a fan of the policy!! It has segregated our schools all over again as if Brown vs Board didn't happen. There's rumors of Prep closing but the community is behind the school due to sports and they'll fight to keep it open. I'm of the belief that as long as Rev Watts continue to serve as principle the school will remain, but if he retires then who knows!! Everyone affiliated with an "advantaged" school has admitted to their advantage but they take offense to being called cheaters, as they should!! They aren't cheating!!

I am asking a serious question, I have stated numerous times I am against open enrollment. I could see change coming in charter and parochial schools. My question is this, what do you think will happen to WSP? They are a public HS in a system with12 other public HS. The whole county is open enrollment, as are other counties, by your terminology they all are advantaged. What does NCHSSA do with the other 12. Do you think they can just single out WSP?

TD, I am not picking an argument with you, just trying to stimulate good healthy debate.

Here is a solution for counties that have open enrollment: every school must play in the classification of the largest school in the county. This would create local conferences, reduce travel time and also discourage players who are looking to move down to a lower division hoping to win a state title. All of these schools would have access to the same students so should they not be the same class?

Reactions: sbbbfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT