ADVERTISEMENT

Championship Sites Revealed; Should other sites be considered?

CPC4LIFE

Jul 31, 2010
“The football championships will be held at UNC-Chapel Hill’s Kenan Memorial Stadium and N.C. State’s Carter-Finley Stadium for the fourth year in a row. This year, the 2A and 4A Championships will be at Kenan and the 1A and 3A Championships will be at Carter-Finley. The decisions regarding game times will be made once the teams are determined.” Source Bryant Roche Winston Salem Journal.

I feel the EAST/ eastern part of the state is getting the all of the sites. How about the western part of the state like Wake Forest, App State or even the Panthers Bank of America Stadium getting a site along side one eastern venue.

Should be an eastern site and a western site each year, rotating 1 thru 4A or 1 thru 8A since we are going to that model.

Last edited:
Much prefer UNCC over Panthers BofA Stadium. As I have written many times, UNCC is basically the same distance from the I-40/I-85 interchange as Carter Finley.

Would like to see two Friday night games when they go to eight and six Saturday games. Three games at two stadiums (Friday and two Saturday) and two games at another location. Three sites per season. Use UNCC and Wake Forest as the western sites. I always liked the location of NC A&T but it is my understanding parking is an issue but I am not sure about that.

In the east go with NC State, UNC, and Duke. East Carolina will be mentioned but that is two hours further than NC State which is already over an hour from the center of the state.

Tepper stated the day he bought the panthers he wanted nc and sc state games held there. I suppose neither association ever came to an agreement.

State games can’t be viewed as west or east sites. You can’t promise to have the 4A game at ecu and then an Asheville high school makes the state championship.

Tepper stated the day he bought the panthers he wanted nc and sc state games held there. I suppose neither association ever came to an agreement.

State games can’t be viewed as west or east sites. You can’t promise to have the 4A game at ecu and then an Asheville high school makes the state championship.
The location many times used for high school sports logistical purposes for the center point of the state (east to west) is often the I-40 / I-85 interchange in Guilford County. All state championships are played right at one hour east of that point. In the past when conversations have been had to have games in Charlottte the "east/west" comparison comes up with ECU often mentioned. UNCC is a bit futher than Carter Finley. Dowdy Ficklen is close to a 2:30 hour drive at least. Wake Forest is closer to the interchange than UNCC and the other three Big Four schools.

Much prefer UNCC over Panthers BofA Stadium. As I have written many times, UNCC is basically the same distance from the I-40/I-85 interchange as Carter Finley.

Would like to see two Friday night games when they go to eight and six Saturday games. Three games at two stadiums (Friday and two Saturday) and two games at another location. Three sites per season. Use UNCC and Wake Forest as the western sites. I always liked the location of NC A&T but it is my understanding parking is an issue but I am not sure about that.

In the east go with NC State, UNC, and Duke. East Carolina will be mentioned but that is two hours further than NC State which is already over an hour from the center of the state.
I went to Unc Charlotte. I think it’s the perfect venue for high school state championships. It would be awesome to be at a game with 15,000-20,000 people and it be packed out. These gamęs at state and unc look ridiculous. Charlotte is the perfect location geographically

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Elon would be another great venue. In my opinion, we need to host these games at the smaller schools-between Elon and Charlotte in size instead of the states two flagship schools. This isnt Texas and those stadiums swallow the crowd whole

Elon would be another great venue. In my opinion, we need to host these games at the smaller schools-between Elon and Charlotte in size instead of the states two flagship schools. This isnt Texas and those stadiums swallow the crowd whole
Elon would be a great geographical location. Visitor bleachers a bit small but I think it would work with for almost any game. I have never heard of any discussions or potential for using Elon except being told they were reached out to and they did not want to commit due to potential playoff (FCS) scheduling, both a game and use of the facility. Who knows. Think it could be a subliminal recruiting tool for any host if they do a good job.

Reactions: beamer24
Here you go for next year
1A Guilford college- great venue for a 1A game and has filed turf and is centrally located
OR 1A WSSU - great place for a game
2A Elon- A little east but nice facility
3A NC A&T- Big enough to host, centrally located and why not get some HBCU schools some love
4A NC Central- Same as above a little east but not bad
5A Duke- Has been in the mix before plus new additions make it a better venue than before
6A Wake Forest-Same as Duke
7A UNC-
8A NC State

I also think that the Western and Eastern finals should be at Neutral sites
East
Pembroke 1A Friday
Pembrok 2A Saturday Afternoon
Pembroke 3A Saturday Evening

Campbell 4A Friday night
Campbell 5A Saturday afternoon
Campbell Saturday evening

ECU 7A Friday
ECU 8A Saturday

West
Lenoir Ryne 1A Friday
LR 2A Saturday afternoon
LR 3A Saturday Evening

App State 4A Friday
App State 5A saturday Afternoon
App State 6 A Saturday evening

UNCC 7A Friday
UNCC 8A Saturday

This way of you are a high school fan/parent you can see multiple games

Last edited:
sammy, use the sites but use half one year and the other half the following. Go with two games per facility so only four are needed. Spread the games out enough so the ending of one game can have the award ceremonies and clear the stadium in plenty of time for the fans to clear the stadium and the teams have an adequate warmup.

I do not support the regionals being set for a predetermined site. That is when we see two neighboring schools roll a couple of hours away to play one another. Been an occurence in basketball for years. About 15 or so years ago ECU got a regional final. There was talk about the west going to this format with LR, GW, App State being mentioned and the 1A mountain folks pitching Western which was not remotely a possibility. I like the way Texas has sites available for early rounds through the semi-finals. Once the two teams qualify they have a list of schools to review for their site. Travel there can be crazy and the amount of turf, ready to use football stadiums is off the chain along with huge fan support and big donors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT