ADVERTISEMENT

CalPreps 1A football ratings for 2022-2023

Mt Airy can not possibly be number 1. They have little talent, little strength, little office season work, bad coaching, awfully fand support. Surely after Mt Airy lost the Western Finals last year to the great 13 players from Mitchell, I mean,,,come on. Your score 8 touchdowns on a team and can not win the game. Who would believe Mt Airy should be ranked #1?

I would for one.
Those two Mitchell players, you know, the ones with the whistles around their necks. Nobody can beat those guys.
The only people that lost that game for Mount Airy were the coaching staff. They allowed their players to get way out of control, and lost control themselves several times. 3 sideline warnings? 4 total unsportsman like calls, one on the head coach? Players tried to bait Mitchell players into fighting all night, but Mitchell kept their composure. The fact that Mount Airy fans keep seeing otherwise backs up the common conception that its a trash program, with trash fans.

The only people that lost that game for Mount Airy were the coaching staff. They allowed their players to get way out of control, and lost control themselves several times. 3 sideline warnings? 4 total unsportsman like calls, one on the head coach? Players tried to bait Mitchell players into fighting all night, but Mitchell kept their composure. The fact that Mount Airy fans keep seeing otherwise backs up the common conception that its a trash program, with trash fans.
And would've gotten handled by Tarboro even if they had won that game.

And would've gotten handled by Tarboro even if they had won that game.
I'm not really want to take up for the rivals up the road. But I have seen the film. I'd say they have a valid point. Flags being thrown when a play is 20-yard down the field. Or a holding call on the interior from a side judge. Or not waiting for a ball to be spotted at the end of the game when the chains are moved excuse me not move yet those pretty hard to swallow. We've had some calls like that against us before as well. But Mitchell won the game so what can you say. I think the unsportsmanlike calls were unfortunate. Especially the shoe throwing thing. From what I hear the kid offered it to the players. Nobody paid attention so he tossed it to the sideline. Especially when you're in a hurry up mode. I will take a fence to some shitbird from that area calling us trash up this way. We have our trashy ways and pilot and in Mount airy. But I hardly think that's appropriate. No more appropriate then shitbird. Anyway the sideline calls were interference and they should have been avoided. But they were definitely four or five questionable calls in that game that all went against them. Who's to say if it was on purpose or just poor officiating. I think the Mount airy people should let it die so that everyone else does too. But hark down on the poor rhetoric.

I'm not really want to take up for the rivals up the road. But I have seen the film. I'd say they have a valid point. Flags being thrown when a play is 20-yard down the field. Or a holding call on the interior from a side judge. Or not waiting for a ball to be spotted at the end of the game when the chains are moved excuse me not move yet those pretty hard to swallow. We've had some calls like that against us before as well. But Mitchell won the game so what can you say. I think the unsportsmanlike calls were unfortunate. Especially the shoe throwing thing. From what I hear the kid offered it to the players. Nobody paid attention so he tossed it to the sideline. Especially when you're in a hurry up mode. I will take a fence to some shitbird from that area calling us trash up this way. We have our trashy ways and pilot and in Mount airy. But I hardly think that's appropriate. No more appropriate then shitbird. Anyway the sideline calls were interference and they should have been avoided. But they were definitely four or five questionable calls in that game that all went against them. Who's to say if it was on purpose or just poor officiating. I think the Mount airy people should let it die so that everyone else does too. But hark down on the poor rhetoric.
Oh and I agree about the tarboro statement. I don't think anybody would have not gotten handled by them. They are a different animal.

I've said it before on here and I'll say it again, the BEST team doesn't always win a football game. The team that plays the best on that given night will win the game. And in the case of mount airy and Mitchell, yes Mount airy on paper should have won this game easily. But games aren't won on paper. And on that particular night Mitchell outplayed Mount Airy. And I can assure you that the Mount Airy players, coaches, and hopefully fans, have moved on and are looking forward to a great 2022 season with aspirations of winning a championship.

In my honest opinion I believe if East Surry does not go up to 2A we probably get Tarboro East Surry round 4 this past season. Would have been a interesting matchup for sure.
Agreed. I have to admit, East Surry made me eat crow last year. They transitioned to 2a just fine, and look to continue to be a solid contender.

Agreed. I have to admit, East Surry made me eat crow last year. They transitioned to 2a just fine, and look to continue to be a solid contender.
I felt they'd get to the 3rd round at least. But to make it to the regional finals was impressive. Just had no answer for the golden lions. Regarding this upcoming season, a tarboro Mitchell rematch wouldn't surprise me in the least bit. If that happens I hope it's at Carter Finley because Keenan stadium parking is a nightmare lol

In my honest opinion I believe if East Surry does not go up to 2A we probably get Tarboro East Surry round 4 this past season. Would have been a interesting matchup for sur

Well thank you very much. We had a great year. We also had a great group of seniors. I don't probably agree that if we were in one day it would have been any different. I think we would have lost in Mitchell as well. Consider the way Mount airy moved the football easily against Mitchell we probably could have done the same thing. And definitely don't think we are better coached both coaches are very good. Most of the teams we played similarly we did not score as many against in had more scored against us than Mount airy did. But it was awful close. I think they were an exceptional team. They really big surprise considering the year before but then again there was the pandemic going on. I think things look brighter for their future right now than probably ours considering that we are in 2 a. But I sure would have liked to have stayed in the lower classification for sure.

Any word on how swe is expected to be this upcoming season? I know you guys were down last season maybe a slight step forward this season potentially?
Can't get any worse lol. As much as I wanted the new coach gone based on emotions, I really do believe that a coach deserves 3 years, especially a first time head coach. His first year, when we went 6-3 and lost to the eventual east champions, the were still traces of Coach Cobb in the program. Last year, his second, was all him and it showed. But it was also the first year with the new and better teams in our conference. A few real programs replaced a couple of bums lol. I know the athletes are anxious to restore the Cougar Pride, but I don't expect any huge gains over last year. I see 6 regular season wins.
2010 was their year to win it. They brought back all of the big time players from the 09 squad. They beat NORTHEREASTERN pretty easily in the regular season, and that's who ended up representing the east in 2aa that year. I definitely think they missed their chance when they failed to make it that year.
2010 was their year to win it. They brought back all of the big time players from the 09 squad. They beat NORTHEREASTERN pretty easily in the regular season, and that's who ended up representing the east in 2aa that year. I definitely think they missed their chance when they failed to make it that year.

Can't get any worse lol. As much as I wanted the new coach gone based on emotions, I really do believe that a coach deserves 3 years, especially a first time head coach. His first year, when we went 6-3 and lost to the eventual east champions, the were still traces of Coach Cobb in the program. Last year, his second, was all him and it showed. But it was also the first year with the new and better teams in our conference. A few real programs replaced a couple of bums lol. I know the athletes are anxious to restore the Cougar Pride, but I don't expect any huge gains over last year. I see 6 regular season wins.

6 regular season wins is still a big improvement from last season. I think if he doesn't improve this year the heat is definitely gonna be on. Y'all definitely are in a tough conference though, wish tarboro was 2a we'd be in that conference more than likely. Being at the tarboro swe game last year I saw that a lot of swe fans that weren't happy with the product on the field.

Reactions: dogs79 and SWE'98
I know a lot of Tarboro fans love to pick on Southwest lol. But real talk it really is surprising that they've never played for a state championship with the talent that they've had especially in the last 10 to 15 years. Hopefully they make a slight improvement this year
Listen, we DID make it to the ship in 2015, and no one will tell me or any other SWE supporter any different. Eastern finals at Kinston, tied 14-14 at the end of regulation......Kinston scores a td on their first overtime play and kicks the xp. 21-14. SWE has 4th down at the one, and goes for a fb dive. Touchdown! We decide to go for 2 and the win. Same play. The ball carrier gets stopped at the goal line, breaks the plane of the goal with the ball while he was still up, but lands on the ground with the ball outside of the goal line. Ref sees the ball placement after removing the pile of players, says no good and we lose 21-20. The sideline video doesn't lie. But oh well.

Last edited:
I’ll tell you what, from what I’m hearing, you guys may be getting ready to go on a multiple year run in baseball. One of my best friends played on the 04 baseball team for you guys that lost in the title game, and he tells me that south Edgecombe middle is the best middle school team he’s ever seen.

Reactions: dogs79 and SWE'98
Mitchell should be really good this year. When this group of seniors was in 8th grade they beat the wheels off almost everyone. I told my wife back then, if they were gonna win it all, it would be this year. The addition of one of the best kickers/punters in the country is huge. However, I doubt he will be punting much.

Hey Mountie. If you ask me 2019 was Mitchell's best team ,Mount Airy fans want to complain about the officiating and far as I know may have good reason,but anyway, I don't think there was a call in that game as bad as the one Mitchell got at the end of game in 2019 vs East Surry where the referee had to be blind to not see the ball was caught a good foot inbounds.lf Mitchell had pulled that game out I think the championship game vs Tarboro would have been an interesting matchup considering how well Mitchell played East Surry on there own field .It all about matchups .
While I'm ruining my trap I was thinking my Cougars will be better this fall but haven't heard a damn thing I do know last year's JV team was really good but I think most of there best players were freshman..

Hey Mountie. If you ask me 2019 was Mitchell's best team ,Mount Airy fans want to complain about the officiating and far as I know may have good reason,but anyway, I don't think there was a call in that game as bad as the one Mitchell got at the end of game in 2019 vs East Surry where the referee had to be blind to not see the ball was caught a good foot inbounds.lf Mitchell had pulled that game out I think the championship game vs Tarboro would have been an interesting matchup considering how well Mitchell played East Surry on there own field .It all about matchups .
While I'm ruining my trap I was thinking my Cougars will be better this fall but haven't heard a damn thing I do know last year's JV team was really good but I think most of there best players were freshman..
I feel so bad for Mitchell that year. That's a tough way to lose. Especially when their coach admitted that if they had scored they were going to go for two which I actually like that decision.

I think East Surry was the only team that would've beat Tarboro.

I know I’ll sound like a homer, but I don’t think Mitchell would’ve beat our 19 team, as someone else said, I just don’t think they matched up with us well. We put 28 up on East surry and that included losing like 4 fumbles. With that said, just my opinion.

I know I’ll sound like a homer, but I don’t think Mitchell would’ve beat our 19 team, as someone else said, I just don’t think they matched up with us well. We put 28 up on East surry and that included losing like 4 fumbles. With that said, just my opinion.
There is no denying that East Surry was the better team. That was a once in a lifetime team for a program. But Mitchell played their game to perfection, and could've won. I dont think they could have repeated the same feat a week later, although I feel that Mitchell and Tarboro were closer than either vs East Surry. Last year showed just how good Tarboro is as a program. A "down" year, against a formitable opponent, and the Viks had their way. Craddock is one hell of a coach, he can wring every last bit out of his boys. Hopefully our teams can have a rematch this year!

Unfortunately we will never know. Mitchell would have caused tarboro issues because they had a good passing game. I believe tarboro would have won if we'd have played Mitchell that year but I think it would have been close imo. Like you stated we put up 28 on East Surry and that was with turning the ball over 4 times. Heck before the turnovers really started to bite us we were scoring right with them it was shaping up to be a shootout.

Reactions: BigRedFan27
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT