ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Hales Leaving Butler

Final interviews were on Tuesday, so I would think that they would make an offer to their top candidate before the end of the weekend.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
Is it down to two?

I am thinking at this point I would offer to Trip Stone. Continuity, assistant coaches support him, players play hard for him, good with student / athletes, very strong football mind, he is in it for the long haul with a home/family in the area, get two for one with father bringing his wealth of experience, and Trip has dug in hard at Butler. I think at this point that is better than bringing in an outsider and they

Is it down to two?

I am thinking at this point I would offer to Trip Stone. Continuity, assistant coaches support him, players play hard for him, good with student / athletes, very strong football mind, he is in it for the long haul with a home/family in the area, get two for one with father bringing his wealth of experience, and Trip has dug in hard at Butler. I think at this point that is better than bringing in an outsider and they
I don't know how many were in the final group, but Stone would be a great hire. I like the idea of giving a proven coordinator a shot to be a first time head coach more so than some of the re-tread head coaches that are often hired simply because they have head coach experience (usually at lesser programs).

Newsome and Hales worked out very well as first time head coaches.

Reactions: TopspinDaddy66
I don't know how many were in the final group, but Stone would be a great hire. I like the idea of giving a proven coordinator a shot to be a first time head coach more so than some of the re-tread head coaches that are often hired simply because they have head coach experience (usually at lesser programs).

Newsome and Hales worked out very well as first time head coaches.
I am a fan of giving the job to someone who is on staff for continuity reasons. Offensively is where I am the most curious about. Hales was a great play caller and his scheme with multiple formations gave most teams fits. Add in his success with quarterbacks it made Butler remain relevant even in down years.

Decision made. Not sure when announcement will be made. Wonder if this will be a head scratcher to some of the local football folks?

Reactions: Blue and Gold22
Decision made. Not sure when announcement will be made. Wonder if this will be a head scratcher to some of the local football folks?
If its not a top guy, with many years of head coaching experience with state championships under his belt. It will be a head scratcher. Just how the wind blows at programs like Butler, Richmond, Page, etc.

Certainly doesn't sound like Stone got it then. Pretty sure there wouldn't be head scratching going on if he got it.
Nope! Didn’t get it. The source awards is coming to Mathews. Gotta feel for Stone. A lot of work put into Butler the last 4 years. A outside guy comes in, and takes it.

Last edited:
Nope! Didn’t get it. The source awards is coming to Mathews. Gotta feel for Stone. A lot of work put into Butler the last 4 years. A outside guy comes in, and takes it.
Wow! Very off script for Butler admin… why mess with a proven blueprint… school has been open since ‘97 and had 3 head coaches, an anomaly in CMS…

If we are talking experience the new HC has more than Stone. Short term it may be better hire, but longterm Stone was the guy. Wonder if he stays on staff? How long will the new HC stay at Butler? Think Stone had potential for a minimum of 7-10 greats years at Butler. Highly doubt new HC stays that long. Feel for Stone.

Reactions: MagisterO
If we are talking experience the new HC has more than Stone. Short term it may be better hire, but longterm Stone was the guy. Wonder if he stays on staff? How long will the new HC stay at Butler? Think Stone had potential for a minimum of 7-10 greats years at Butler. Highly doubt new HC stays that long. Feel for Stone.
Exactly. Stone has a few years less than twenty in the system. I think he may have finished his career at Butler. Imagine a forty years and four head coaches.

Ferebee left Charlotte what many think was cloudy circumstances after the 2021 season and three very good seasons at Chambers with two state titles. Took the head job at Darlington Wilson around the first of the year. Strange twists off Highway 51.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
Exactly. Stone has a few years less than twenty in the system. I think he may have finished his career at Butler. Imagine a forty years and four head coaches.

Ferebee left Charlotte what many think was cloudy circumstances after the 2021 season and three very good seasons at Chambers with two state titles. Took the head job at Darlington Wilson around the first of the year. Strange twists off Highway 51.
Wish Butler well. Sometimes you get away from your core values and you walk yourself into an issue vs. Making a sound business decision with less issues.

That was the case with RC hiring Denson IMHO. Even with the lack of experience they got THEIR guy the job so there would be no more excuses and they could actually see how he does. If it doesn't work out it's an easier pivot to another guy vs. Passing him over and it not working. That's what I see here. Getting Stone would keep players, former coaches, parents, and fans happy. If it didn't work it's easier to pivot to a new guy. By bypassing him you gonna have more grumblings and discontent upfront that you could have easily avoided. This reminds me of WC 00 and the hiring Helms over Wilkes the obvious choice. Some guys don't fit at some places.

Reactions: btango and nepsy7
If we are talking experience the new HC has more than Stone. Short term it may be better hire, but long-term Stone was the guy. Wonder if he stays on staff? How long will the new HC stay at Butler? Think Stone had potential for a minimum of 7-10 greats years at Butler. Highly doubt new HC stays that long. Feel for Stone.
I don't see Stone staying on staff. This was a huge opportunity for him. It'll be tough for him to recover from this one. I personally don't believe they even considered him. They took him through the process to not ruffle any feathers. The new hire is total opposite in every way from Hales and Butler's previous staffs. Butler was loaded with guys who know the culture on staff. They'll all leave.

Last edited:
Strange. From a million mile view Stone felt like a no brainer. Integral part of two great programs. Worked under a great defensive and offensive minds. What am I missing?

I wonder if the fact that his name has come out now for just about every new opening in Meck County for 7-8 years is starting to work against him. People who are doing the hiring start looking for the reasons other schools have passed . Did Hales recommend him?

One issue will be getting staff in the building if he even tries. Butler just went under 1800 students for next year, they just lost 10 teaching positions last week for next year.

I wonder what their logic was for this hire? They had great talent coming back with some good talent from JV. The defense has been a strong part of the team the last few years, why not keep continuity?

Reactions: rrconoldguy
Strange. From a million mile view Stone felt like a no brainer. Integral part of two great programs. Worked under a great defensive and offensive minds. What am I missing?

I wonder if the fact that his name has come out now for just about every new opening in Meck County for 7-8 years is starting to work against him. People who are doing the hiring start looking for the reasons other schools have passed . Did Hales recommend him?
There have been a couple of CMS jobs he would have been / was in the final couple and one was his but he pulled his name. Think the more he saw of some jobs the more he appreciated the coordinator position he had.

I think Stone was a good hire for the position. Agree with bigdadd, if you miss on Stone you can still get a big time guy. If Ferrebe goes sideways it may be due a major shift of where players are coming from and that drying up if leaves.

It is my understanding that Ferrebe does not have his teaching certification. Hear he is bringing in a few coaches that are the same or already are at another school. They lost positions due to ADM drop and if Hales and Stone stay in their positions but do not coach next year it will make it hard to have coaches in the halls. My guess is Stone will not coach next year or at least not at Butler.

It’s going to be interesting to see what classification Butler goes to when they go up to 8 classifications for 2025. With 1800 or so where would this land Butler at.

One issue will be getting staff in the building if he even tries. Butler just went under 1800 students for next year, they just lost 10 teaching positions last week for next year.
You're spot on here - this is an issue that needs more discussion. There are going to be some moving parts with CMS in regards to available positions. There might be fewer on campus coaches in general, across the board.

He did extremely well taking over a program that Aaron Brand built. Gotta give him credit for that, but Tripp Stone is big time. He was already on campus. 🤷🏾‍♂️
They are hiring a guy that has already taken jobs in at least 3 states and left for a college job all in the last 5-6 years instead of the guy on campus that has been in NC for probably 20+ years and lives in the area.

They are hiring a guy that has already taken jobs in at least 3 states and left for a college job all in the last 5-6 years instead of the guy on campus that has been in NC for probably 20+ years and lives in the area.
boom smile GIF

I’m going with the 20 years that live in the area

Last edited:
Ferebee will be the next Butler coach ..Wilson AD said that’s why he left there in an article this week

I don’t understand the logic. Butler beat the state champions Weddington, a talented Langston Hughes and Independence. The loss in the playoffs Butler held Indy to 10 points. Not sure hiring someone outside the current staff was necessary

I don’t understand the logic. Butler beat the state champions Weddington, a talented Langston Hughes and Independence. The loss in the playoffs Butler held Indy to 10 points. Not sure hiring someone outside the current staff was necessary
I have a theory. Could be wrong, but Butler and Chambers are in similar situations with Ferebee coming in. Knocking on the door of a state championship, but not getting over the hump in recent years. Ferebee may have enticed Butler’s leadership with how he’ll get them over that hump like he did at Chambers.

Now, this is a gamble because he doesn’t stick around long, but when he’s there, he wins and wins big. Butler is simply gambling it pays off for however long he’s there.

Sounds like he’s was going to be out at Wilson regardless due to not being certified.

If he isn’t certified, I am sure Wilson knew that before hiring him.

My guess is that he figures he can be more successful with his recruiting and win more games at Butler than he could have at Wilson.

South Florence is the premier program in that district and they have open enrollment. Maybe he was there long enough to figure out that he couldn’t get players to come to Wilson even if they were zoned to go there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT