ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News!!

Hate to see Al give up basketball. He was a class coach and he is a class person. I wish we could get a good football coach who will stay around for a while and give the program some stability.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
Your right, no other SC has been won in Stanly County since 2001 team wise. Individually, we have had State Champion's in Track and Field and I believe we had one guy win a SC in Wrestling. Either way you look at it, we have a good foundation of athletes across the board. But I can only speak for Albemarle.

But Albemarle did win a team SC in Wrestling back in 94 I believe was the year. My cousin and cousin-in-law was on that team.

Albemarle was a powerhouse small school wrestling program in the late 1980's and early 1990's. Unfortunately the school no longer has a wrestling program.

Big announcement forth coming sway. Could be days instead of weeks.

I'm ready,

but I believe teams from the SMC all the way over to the East are looking for this announcement more than we are! LMAO! especially KW23. I can already hear the moans and complaints from BD_Harris also lol.

Like I said, this has already been set in stone....

I do not think we need to close any right now but what schools should be reopened?

A "ton" of state titles. Stanly County has made solid showings in 1A playoffs but fairly limited to football at Albemarle and baseball at South. West won a girls 2A softball title. Have any other teams sport titles been won since 2001?
South has baseball titles in 2009, 2012 and 2013. Softball won titles in 1998 and 2012.

Thanks sslabman. Forgot about the 2012 SS girls softball title. Softball is strong at West and South.

SC sports are kinda easy to predict over the years... South and West have softball, South run baseball, Albemarle and North run basketball, Albemarle is football king, soccer is mostly Albemarle and sometimes West. Only ones I'm sure of are Volleyball and Wrestleing.

Has any one coach won two stare titles in one school year before? It might be possible.

Last edited:
The reports I am getting is the team will be small in size but with tons of speed. Go Dogs.

When the long time West Charlotte basketball coach retired in the mid 1990's Tom Knotts offered to coach the team, he actually wanted it. I think he coached their girls softball one season when they could not get a coach.

David Holcomb was head football and basketball coach for three years, the 1979, 1980, and 1981 football seasons. Lonnie Chandler was the HC for football and girls basketball at North for a few seasons.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
I don't believe that we'll be any smaller than the teams in the early 2000s. The teams from 2008-20012 had some nice size to them. They were probably the biggest Albemarle teams that came through in the last decade. 1995-1999 had some nice size with them, but hey I was a kid so they all looked big to me then.

I don't believe we'll come out swinging like we usually do, but I still say this group is better than last years. I'm telling you, the J.V. team last year was "Ready" and could have easily taking some starting positions on varsity last year. I'm glad no one moved up.

If anyone is worried about size on the line, heck, we had nice size up front last year but couldn't get anyone off the ball. I'll take "Small Strong and Fast with a little bit of beef" any day.

David had a good Basketball Team when I was in School. They had some good players that year that They played Dominic Wilkins and the Pam pack from Washington. He just couldn't get the turn out for Football

Hey Buddy, from what I was told, we haven't started the interview process yet but we need to have a name by the sixteenth. Reason is, the board won't give up the new principal contact so Wes can put their name in. Sabotage....obviously.

As far as size goes, we're good and ready.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
Also we need to hire so many coaches. Football. mens basketball. volleyball, soccer, cheerleading.

Could'nt agree more. Wasn't it Poole that said let the schools just use volenteers to do the coaching.

I can't wait until we vote for school board again. If this wasn't a wake up call, then people need to shut up if the didn't vote.

I've seen it my entire life sway. When you give small people some power they just flat out abuse it. When they put Plan A and B out there and the community turned their noses up at it they got their pants in a wad and haven't got over it. Now they are so defensive about everything that no body can work with them. I'm sorry but people like that turn me off so bad. POWER. Yes they have it and it is affecting hundreds and hundreds of kids and parents lives. I just don't understand how people like this school board can be so insensitive. Beats me.

Not sure if Poole was the one who proposed that volunteers should be the ones coaching, heck I just learned that the volunteers weren't getting paid by listening on this board.

Either way I think we should be good going forward in coach selection.

Coach Stone wants it so bad, but this board tho.....lmao.

I'll tell you like this. When you get "Dummies" in control, that make "Dummy" decisions; you'll get a "Stupid" outcome. This is shots at all the small minded people who read this board. #ShotsFired.

Dummies doesn't even fit this board sway Can't think of a word strong enough to describe his board.

Anyone that thinks what the school board does or is doing is based on athletics is ridiculous.

It was Melvin Poole that stated community volunteers could coach the teams. Coaches should do it for the love of the sport/job.

How many people applied for the prestigious head football coaching job at Albemarle? I think the number was underwhelming.

Albemarle won't pay. That's the bottom line. Money.

It starts at the top with North Carolina. Stanly County then pays low stipends and real low coaching stipends. It will take a coach in a special situation to take a job as a head coach in Stanly County and to retain them long term.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT