ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News!! NCHSAA Fall Sports Playoff Changes

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
CHAPEL HILL – The North Carolina High School Athletic Association Board of Directors and Commissioner Que Tucker have made the decision to adjust the playoff calendar for fall sports following historic flooding and devastation in many areas of eastern North Carolina.

“The complexity of adjusting dates for playoff rounds and state championships in fall sports are difficult even in the best of times; however, we must do everything in our power to do what is best for the students who participate in our programs across the state,” said Commissioner Que Tucker. “Minimizing risk of injury while providing a wholesome athletic environment that supports and enriches the educational experience for our student-athletes must always be paramount in our decision making.”

Please see below a list of changes by sport:

Women’s Golf

Reporting Deadline: October 10th 9:00 P.M.(changed from 3:00 P.M.)

Regional Championships: October 15th (no change)

State Championships: October 22nd-23rd (no change)

Cross Country

Reporting Deadline: October 19th 9:00 P.M.(changed from 3:00 P.M.)

Regional Championships: October 27th (no change)

State Championships: November 3rd (no change)

Women’s Tennis

Individual Regional Championships: October 19th-20th (no change)

Individual State Championships: October 26th-27th (no change)

Dual-Team reporting deadline: October 15th (no change)

Dual-Team State Championships: November 3rd (no change)

Volleyball

Prior to 11:59P.M., October 20th, teams affected by the hurricane are permitted to exceed the weekly limitation—maximum of five (5) matches per week; however, daily limitations remain unchanged

Seeding: October 22nd (changed from October 18th)

First Round: October 23rd

Second Round: October 25th

Third Round: October 27th

Fourth Round: October 30th

Semifinals: November 1st

State Championship: November 3rd (no change)

Men’s Soccer

Seeding: October 31st (changed from October 29th)

First Round: November 3rd

Second Round: November 6th

Third Round: November 8th

Fourth Round: November 10th

Regionals: November 13th

State Championship: November 17th (no change)

Football

Last Regular Season Play date: November 9th(changed from November 2nd)

Seeding: November 10th (changed from November 3rd)

First Round: November 16th

Second Round: November 23rd

Third Round: November 30th

Regionals: December 7th

State Championships: December 14th – 15th (changed from December 8th)

(Sites to be determined)

Last edited:
Tar Heels have a home game with this change. So it means business as usual with a Friday game.

Perhaps less Raleigh traffic. Original date shows Disney on Ice. New date has Martin Lawrence.

I understand the reason for doing it, but its going to hurt the Wrestlers that Wrestle for football Schools. Which means if the team makes it to the Semi''s or State then the wrestler will only have a little over a month to prepare for the regional tournament. Match time and conditioning is critical in wrestling

Last edited:
Reactions: PrepFanNC
I understand the reason for doing it, but its going to hurt the Wrestlers that Wrestle for football Schools. Which means if the team makes it to the Semi''s or State then the wrestler will only have a little over a month to prepare for the regional tournament. Match time and conditioning is critical in wrestling

Same with basketball. Guys who play football and basketball or wrestling in the winter season. If they make a deep run in the football playoffs, that could really hurt their winter sports teams.

It is an extra week. Most athletes that play on a strong football team / successful program understand they are behind a bit.

Reactions: beamer24
It is an extra week. Most athletes that play on a strong football team / successful program understand they are behind a bit.

A bit? Most teams for basketball who have many dual athletes start late on purpose anyways, but now will have to re-schedule numerous games...especially those who are in giant conferences and will most likely start with moving a handful of conference games.

Reactions: flight1594
A bit? Most teams for basketball who have many dual athletes start late on purpose anyways, but now will have to re-schedule numerous games...especially those who are in giant conferences and will most likely start with moving a handful of conference games.

Believe me, I get it. I played three team sports and participated in a fourth (track) when the schedule allowed it. Not a special athlete but as we know that is the way it is with small schools. Football ended with the regular season (for me) back then but basketball went very deep.

There is one week being added to the season. Football already runs too late in my opinion but adding one week is not as crippling to an athlete or athletic program as what the east has been dealt.

1A schools have numerous multi sport athletes. Another reason to shorten their playoffs to four rounds and 32 teams with no bye week. End the playoffs a week earlier. I feel confident very few of those starters (that play a winter sport) on a 1A football team want that and I know for a fact the coaches do not as they let it be known when it was presented to them for past year's and last year's playoffs.

Football plays basically as many regular season games as colleges and more than almost all when the full playoffs are added in. Basketball and baseball are nowhere near what the colleges are. I think non football sports should be allowed to play more games but just as with football ending earlier I wonder if starting their season a bit later would help as they can play more games in a week without their physical wear and tear. With the pitch count now in baseball the pitcher would be regulated (no more Steve Streater's). Why not give those sports the option for more games but have their season end at the same time as it currently does. Not required but 28 or 30 regular season games instead of 24. Just a a thought.

NCHSAA should start football season 1 week earlier than they do now. Yes its gonna be hot in August, September in North Carolina but it would mean less overlap from fall to winter sports. They also need to get rid of the old aged notion that they have to play basketball state championships games on the same Saturday as the men's ACC tournament. Could probably easily push back the basketball playoffs by a week so to avoid all the overlap from fall sports in a situation like we have this year with Florence. I agree with you, they should allow basketball, baseball, softball, etc. to play more than 24 games for a regular season.

Reactions: bballman8888
Do not think the argument works. Push basketball back a week which would overlap more with the spring sports but do not want football to overlap as much with the winter sports.

No way I agree with starting football one week earlier. Would they then start practice around July 23rd or sooner? There is already a battle for numbers and that would hurt the sport more. Playing two games before school starts does not seem to be as good for the gate and support either.

They probably should go to 11 games in 11 weeks. You can play 11 games but you do not get the bye week. Title games the first week of December.

Reactions: beamer24
Football should be a 10 week season

With small conferences it does not work so much. If they go to ten games I think 11 weeks is needed but at that point allow the teams to play an 11th game.

Several years ago when the NCHSAA Board (admin was against it) went to the 11 games in 11 weeks dropping the 12th week it caused complete chaos for a lot of the schools on the northwest / west and northeast borders. Partly because it was implemented during the middle of the alignment (other states do not always have the same two year contract period as NC) and many of those schools are in small conferences that require more non conference games. During the discussion a former coach said why do they need 11 games and 12 weeks. He went onto say that during his day they played ten in ten weeks. After the discussion I spoke with him and mentioned that during his day the first week was non conferenc when he was required to play a fellow county school and then they played nine conference games. That is an easy ten week plan. He did not respond.

Last edited:
Yeah but unlike basketball you can’t rescheduled wrestling tournaments,

Believe me, I get it. I played three team sports and participated in a fourth (track) when the schedule allowed it. Not a special athlete but as we know that is the way it is with small schools. Football ended with the regular season (for me) back then but basketball went very deep.

There is one week being added to the season. Football already runs too late in my opinion but adding one week is not as crippling to an athlete or athletic program as what the east has been dealt.

1A schools have numerous multi sport athletes. Another reason to shorten their playoffs to four rounds and 32 teams with no bye week. End the playoffs a week earlier. I feel confident very few of those starters (that play a winter sport) on a 1A football team want that and I know for a fact the coaches do not as they let it be known when it was presented to them for past year's and last year's playoffs.

Football plays basically as many regular season games as colleges and more than almost all when the full playoffs are added in. Basketball and baseball are nowhere near what the colleges are. I think non football sports should be allowed to play more games but just as with football ending earlier I wonder if starting their season a bit later would help as they can play more games in a week without their physical wear and tear. With the pitch count now in baseball the pitcher would be regulated (no more Steve Streater's). Why not give those sports the option for more games but have their season end at the same time as it currently does. Not required but 28 or 30 regular season games instead of 24. Just a a thought.
It’s critical to a wrestler when his seeding is based off the number of matches. I had a wrestler last that played in the State Championship for Reidsville by the time he came out he was over weight and could only lose so many pounds a week before he was eligible. By the time He made weight the conference tournament had started you had to have wrestled some many matches to be eligible to wrestle in the conference tournament. I had to add loses to his record just so he could be eligible and he went in the highest seed.

Last edited:
With all the weight loss rules in wrestling now, it kind of hurt wrestlers that wrestles and play football at football schools. Even one week is critical in wrestling.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT