ADVERTISEMENT

Boys games; charter schools

As for Avery beating EC last year anything is possible but I thought EC should have won by more than they did over Prep. That was one of the two best atmospheres I have seen at a state title game since the 1980's. The other being New Hanover beating West Charlotte in 4A a few years at Reynolds. Get out of the big arenas!!! Carmichael and Reynolds. Play a game at each facility Friday night (example 1A boys and 4A girls at opposite facilities). Saturday three games at each site.

Reactions: mbdfan
I agree with champ, Prep hasn't had consistent 4A talent. They've had an individual here and there like other 1A programs. But in Preps 13 year existence they've never won our Xmas tourney which is made up of all the county teams and some surrounding county teams. They've made the championship and lost to a variety of teams from 4A Reagan to 1A West Stokes. Chaz is a good player for a freshman and while he's ranked #2 by NCpreps he wasn't the best freshman in yesterday's game!! I know that's one game but I've seen a couple freshman I think is better in West Forsyths Marcus Watson and one of the Langley twins.(Kashaun I think) But it's subjective and I get the point of the traditional schools but Prep is a far cry from QEA the real powerhouse in Forsyth County!!

Another thing I have noticed and had a referee say the same to me at a game last year. The game is close at half time but in the second half the refs really let the players play physical which is what Prep wants. They want to hand check, bump, and body up a little more. That is their game and from what I saw last year the mountain schools, charters, and even Albemarle played more finesse style basketball so the way the game was called played more to Prep.
It was right the opposite at Hiwassee Dam against Atkins. The officials started the game calling very very tight for the 1st qtr then pretty well eased off for the remainder of the game. I think they showed the players they were not going to let it get physical and the players adjusted. I thought it was a well called game

That probably went over the head of most posters.
3 Daughters, I guess you were afraid of your daughters not getting into college, going to a traditional school, and needed a lot of help and you had the money to put them in a charter school (and buy their education) when other people couldn't.
PS. My daughter and son both went to a traditional school and both were great students in college with very good degrees.

Or just maybe you didn't want your daughters going to a traditional school because of the minorities and lower income people at a lot of those schools which you should be ashamed of if you did. And I have a fix for the problem: Shut down all charter schools and either homeschool them or make students go to all traditional schools in their boundaries. What's the purpose of charter schools? So the rich can send their children to a more privileged school? Sounds like racism and classism based on their economic standing at home.

3 Daughters, I guess you were afraid of your daughters not getting into college, going to a traditional school, and needed a lot of help and you had the money to put them in a charter school (and buy their education) when other people couldn't.
PS. My daughter and son both went to a traditional school and both were great students in college with very good degrees.

Or just maybe you didn't want your daughters going to a traditional school because of the minorities and lower income people at a lot of those schools which you should be ashamed of if you did. And I have a fix for the problem: Shut down all charter schools and either homeschool them or make students go to all traditional schools in their boundaries. What's the purpose of charter schools? So the rich can send their children to a more privileged school? Sounds like racism and classism based on their economic standing at home.

Don't even know where to start to reply to such a moronic post.
1. My daughters were raised by a Catholic mother and father, went to Catholic elementary school and then went to the only Catholic school within 100 miles. My daughters graduated with honors from Chapel Hill (their mother is very smart)

2. I "had the money to put them in a charter school"? Hey idiot, charter schools are public schools, there is no tuition.

3. If your going to call me a racist (and all others whose children attend public charter schools) I'd be happy to set you straight.

Until you learn what a charter school is, crawl back under your rock..

Reactions: MDS80
Charter schools are smaller classroom wise normally and as a school student body as a whole on the norm. Our daughter goes to a charter school because its on the town of our work. The school she was supposed to be in is 17 minutes away and has far less minorities than the charter school. So the racial thing doesnt fly at least in all charter schools.

My wife basically teaches at a charter school in TN. It's the only year round school in the state. At kindergarten they interview kids who apply and take 20.Yes they interview the kindergarteners.Then they ad 1 kid a year till 6th or more a year depending on kids that drop out.At 7th grade the take 25 kids who apply and they get interviewed. At 9th grade they take 25 more kids that apply and get interviewed so they have 75 in a graduating class.The school is one of the best schools in TN. Ranks in the top 5 in TN .Do any of the non traditional schools in the state do this. The ones winning in basketball what are their standards. At my wife's school University School in TN its definitely for education and not sports.

My wife taught in NC for years before she left for TN.She wrote the grant that got Avery County IPads and Mac Books for every kid.K through 5th has IPads and 6th through 12th Mac Books.She was one of the best teachers in the state.

Last edited:
Greystone in Stanly County was developed as a college prep and continues to meet their goal. Sports are competitive but not elite. Think soccer and XC have done well. Girls XC may have won a state title.

WSP girls have 4 championships in 11 years? Might want to check the facts sport before you make such a statement....roflmao

And come Saturday (that was what I was referring to) they will have 5. That's what I stated. So you might wanna read the statement and fully understand it before responding.

Who are you calling "cheater?"

Sorry Eagle I guess I could have picked a better word, I was just frustrated not about Lincoln in particular but all the prep, academy, charter schools. The students of these schools isn't to blame for the NCHSAA screw ups.

Lol Prep has 4a talent?? If they did Avery would had been blown out by 30. 1a talent compared to 4a talent is like comparing Western Carolina to Tennessee. Get out of here with that. If Prep was a 2a,3a school they don't make it out of round 2, 4a we'll been embarrassed in round 1. Prep resides in a county where anyone can go to any school. So stop with the excuses and complaining and get better

WS Prep was the favorite to win every game in 1A this season. When Mount Airy beat them it was consider an upset. As a #5 seed you guys were predicted to win the championship and then you try to correct me with the 4 championships in 11 years in girls basketball. Most top 1A programs don't have 4 championships in one sport, alot of them don't have any and they have been around for 40, 50, and some even 60 years. You guys draw from more than most 4A schools. If you couldn't get enough talent to compete with 3A/4A schools then that is a disappointment given the advantage you have. Its actually kinda sad that Prep is content dominating 1A than being competitive with a higher classification. By the way your comparison of Western Carolina and Tennessee is accurate and spot on for traditional schools vs advantage school given that many think that a traditional school will never win another 1A championship in basketball.

Reactions: AHVikingNation
Why yeah everyone in 1A can hang with them. They have been around 12 seasons and after next week will have 5 championships in girls basketball and 4 championships in boys, so they got 9 championship over all. So that means they have went a whole 3 seasons out of 12 without winning a trophy in basketball. Them was tough times for them. Rotfl.

I know that you are a new poster but here's something to keep in mind BEFORE you post:

1. everyone is entitled to their own opinion and those opinions can have validity even when they are 180 degrees opposite other opinions on this site.

2. If in giving your opinion you incorporate statements as "fact" then you'd better make sure your "facts" are accurate otherwise your opinion has little merit.

3. Twice now you have said that WSP girls have won 4 state championships in girls basketball and if they win on Saturday they will have won their 5th state championship in 12 years. Everyone other than you knows that statement is INCORRECT. WSP girls won last year and if they win on Saturday it will be their second title, not their fifth.

Bottom line: check your facts before you hit the "post reply" button.

Lol you think Prep could hang with East Lincoln, Concord, Robinson, Hickory??? Come on Avery co, i understand the frustration in defeat but damn Prep would lose by double digits against those 2a and 3a school. They do NOT have 4a talent. Hell not even 3a or 2a. Just stop. Seriously no more crying excuses. They own you. Get better. You act as if they're been on a 3 year undefeated streak.. They haven't. They lose conference games. Let me guess. Mt. Airy must have the best coach in 1a now. Hey their coach did something The Great Avery Coach cant do, beat Prep

Reactions: coach1530
I think Prep could hang with the vast majority of 2A teams but when they went against the very best, like East Lincoln, they would not win. It would be tougher for them in 3A. Robinson and Hickory are really good and Concord may have been the best without the inner turmoil.

Lol you think Prep could hang with East Lincoln, Concord, Robinson, Hickory??? Come on Avery co, i understand the frustration in defeat but damn Prep would lose by double digits against those 2a and 3a school. They do NOT have 4a talent. Hell not even 3a or 2a. Just stop. Seriously no more crying excuses. They own you. Get better. You act as if they're been on a 3 year undefeated streak.. They haven't. They lose conference games. Let me guess. Mt. Airy must have the best coach in 1a now. Hey their coach did something The Great Avery Coach cant do, beat Prep
Yes Prep is having a down year but is still the Western Region Champions. Consider this, next year they will be another year older, stronger and wiser. I wonder who they will add next year?

Again every school in Forsyth County will try to add what they need. Every school in Winston pulls from the same pool!! Prep has built it and kids do want to get a ring but they don't have 4A talent. They may have beat West this year but we here in Winston know that was due to West starters being a day back from football. And West's best player, the county's best player never played versus Prep who's players don't play football and practice bball from school Day 1!!

And what's going to be really interesting is that Prep girls may win back to back titles and then not field a team next year!!!

Lol somenod these rural folks are sensitive. Smh. Your good is not better than Preps good.

I was upset about Catholic beating Statesville and Al Brown awhile ago. But at the end of the day, we (Americans) are lazy and point at others for an excuses. Rather than adjust and better ourselves. Catholic beats everyone because they're just better, no excuses. I watch a N. Meck team with 4 d1 players lose to a Catholic team not very tall or athletic. So to you Avery fans you can cry until the cows come home, YOU'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!! So improve and get better

Reactions: coach1530
Lol somenod these rural folks are sensitive. Smh. Your good is not better than Preps good.

No dog here in 1A just posted earlier in thread about personal experiences with athletes being accepted at charter schools. However as a proud "rural folk" from the Piedmont area I am not impressed by either the sentiment or the spelling in above quote.

This thread was started I believe to point out the athletic inequities, either perceived or real, that exist at charter schools when it comes to competing against public high schools on the basketball court. It has strayed somewhat into "our coach is better than yours" and "just get better" comments. Not sure if that addresses the issues raised by the growing number of charters.
For now charter schools do exist and in a relatively short time have become a force in NCHSAA playoffs. I know some posters have pointed out that public high schools need to improve to catch up. Well that is sometimes difficult when you have to wait for a generation of athletes to come up through elementary and middle schools. Might happen a little quicker if you had a larger population to choose from. Which I believe was the basis for this thread initially.

This "rural folk" is done now except have to ask what a somenod is?

Thanks to all ya'll.

They have 361,000 students just in area to pick from, not counting all the others they get from across the state and wherever else they they can draw from. Out of that many students if you can't beat 99% of traditional high schools then that's is a total embarrassment, PERIOD. Are you scared that the NCHSAA may find a place higher in classification where Prep will have to compete? Somewhere where they will still have the big pool to draw from but they may not make every final four and even be favored to win a championship in a down season? You would rather dominate and manipulate the system in 1A? I bet as a kid you would play Madden and stack your team with the most talent, put the settings on rookie and win every game by 50 and now your tickled to death you get to see that happen in real life. Oh and by the way get better?? Really? some of us have to abide by different rules, how about PLAY FAIR!

Last edited:
Yes Prep is having a down year but is still the Western Region Champions. Consider this, next year they will be another year older, stronger and wiser. I wonder who they will add next year?

Wow more evidence any 1A team can compete with this (college) Prep team. How many traditional "rural folk" can say, "Man we had a down season this year". " We lost to 1 1A team made our 5th straight final four and championship appearance in a row" (I think I'm sure if I'm off by one champ will correct me). "We have no dynasty in 1A, any traditional High School can compete with us".

I acknowledge that Prep has an advantage over traditional 1A schools but my point is that it's not Preps advantage. Walkertown is a rural little town and they have their own 1A high school and they have the SAME advantage as Prep. No need to dump on Prep when your real issue is with Forsyth County's open enrollment.

I was upset about Catholic beating Statesville and Al Brown awhile ago. But at the end of the day, we (Americans) are lazy and point at others for an excuses. Rather than adjust and better ourselves. Catholic beats everyone because they're just better, no excuses. I watch a N. Meck team with 4 d1 players lose to a Catholic team not very tall or athletic. So to you Avery fans you can cry until the cows come home, YOU'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!! So improve and get better

Who are you calling "lazy" all Americans or all traditional 1A schools because we don't have 360,000+ to pick from? Or maybe its just Avery? Please clarify, but if you call any of the above "lazy" then you are badly mistaken. These kids have busted their butt to accomplish all that they have the past 3 years and I can promise you these coaches and players have busted their butt to achieve all that they have in the past 3 years. It is easier to recruit talent than to develope it. You keep telling us to get better, I keep telling you STOP OPEN ENROLLMENT, SET UP STRICT DISTRICT TO PULL FROM, AND PLAY FAIR! Thats all that we want, of course under the current rules this will not happen. I am still amazed that you call kids lazy, but it seems like you advantage guys can do anything you want.

I acknowledge that Prep has an advantage over traditional 1A schools but my point is that it's not Preps advantage. Walkertown is a rural little town and they have their own 1A high school and they have the SAME advantage as Prep. No need to dump on Prep when your real issue is with Forsyth County's open enrollment.

I do acknowledge that other schools have the same advantage, I honestly didn't know that WalkerTown was one and I do think that open enrollment is a joke. I have said many times that ALL (Preps, Charters, and Advantage) schools have an UNFAIR advantage and NONE of them should be allowed to play in ANY 1A state playoff.

Walkertown isn't a charter, it's a regular high school. But it resides in Forsyth County and therefore with open enrollment it has the same advantage as Prep. Your fight is against open enrollment, not Prep!!! That's all I'm saying. Prep is definitely benefitting from the system but I wouldn't be angry at Prep. It's the system that's broken. And watch next year, Prep may not have a girls team after possible back to back championships. I've already heard that their only non-senior is going to Reynolds next year. But that's Forsyth county for ya!! Walkertown will hire a new coach and trust me, the new coaches ability to "attract" kids will be a big factor!!! The rumors are already swirling around Winston.

Walkertown isn't a charter, it's a regular high school. But it resides in Forsyth County and therefore with open enrollment it has the same advantage as Prep. Your fight is against open enrollment, not Prep!!! That's all I'm saying. Prep is definitely benefitting from the system but I wouldn't be angry at Prep. It's the system that's broken. And watch next year, Prep may not have a girls team after possible back to back championships. I've already heard that their only non-senior is going to Reynolds next year. But that's Forsyth county for ya!! Walkertown will hire a new coach and trust me, the new coaches ability to "attract" kids will be a big factor!!! The rumors are already swirling around Winston.

You are 100% correct on Prep. Their advantage is by the county enrollment and residency rules.

The only 1A school I really know much about is Greystone on the campus of Pfeiffer College which is in the very northwest corner of Stanly County where it connects with Davidson and Cabbarus and not far from Rowan. They have a lottery and the majority of the students are high academic achieving kids. They have did ok in some sports and very well in a few. I think they won a girls XC state title. That type of school is probably never going to compete for a state title unless they get a really big time player in and I would say that is the same for any 1A school. A star can make a huge difference at that level with only average at best talent surrounding them.

I laugh now at the people coomplaining about charters and not because it is not an issue but nearly everyone told me I was crazy for years when I brought it up. It was my response to those that complained about the three Parochial schools. I told them that was not close to the growing problem they would soon face.

Reactions: mbdfan
Lazy is the term I used to describe making excuses. It's easy to point the finger (lazy) at charter schools but they're not the issue. The issues is within the rules and guidelines. They follow the rules so why are so many of yall complaining? This shouldn't be a complaint against charter schools but a complaint to the system.

By the way I love Charter schools. They create a culture of advanced higher learning that rivals the collegiate experience. Forsyth co. has had open enrollment for years, its not fair but its nothing new. Again yes I take issue when you complain about schools that are not breaking any rules. Charter schools are here to stay and is growing btw watch out for Pine Lake Prep in two years. Lots of big time talent from Statesville and Mooresville will be there

btango, you absolutely did nail it several years ago. Most of the other posters at that time didn't listen.

I do acknowledge that other schools have the same advantage, I honestly didn't know that WalkerTown was one and I do think that open enrollment is a joke. I have said many times that ALL (Preps, Charters, and Advantage) schools have an UNFAIR advantage and NONE of them should be allowed to play in ANY 1A state playoff.

Whatever makes you think that the decisions of county school boards to have open enrollment has anything to do athletics? It doesn't. It gives parents the opportunity to get the best education possible for their kids. Perhaps that's why WSP may not even have a team next year despite winning one and perhaps two state championships, parents are not happy with their academic performance. Atkins on the other hand has won nothing, yet I could barely get in the building the other night when Atkins had their open house for prospective students.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big43
Whatever makes you think that the decisions of county school boards to have open enrollment has anything to do athletics? It doesn't. It gives parents the opportunity to get the best education possible for their kids. Perhaps that's why WSP may not even have a team next year despite winning one and perhaps two state championships, parents are not happy with their academic performance. Atkins on the other hand has won nothing, yet I could barely get in the building the other night when Atkins had their open house for prospective students.

100% correct.

Nobody has answered my question. What are the requirements to get in the charter and prep (basketball) schools. At my wife school you got to have a masters to even teach there.

Lazy is the term I used to describe making excuses. It's easy to point the finger (lazy) at charter schools but they're not the issue. The issues is within the rules and guidelines. They follow the rules so why are so many of yall complaining? This shouldn't be a complaint against charter schools but a complaint to the system.

By the way I love Charter schools. They create a culture of advanced higher learning that rivals the collegiate experience. Forsyth co. has had open enrollment for years, its not fair but its nothing new. Again yes I take issue when you complain about schools that are not breaking any rules. Charter schools are here to stay and is growing btw watch out for Pine Lake Prep in two years. Lots of big time talent from Statesville and Mooresville will be there

Why would you love Charter schools in NC.What you just said doesn't seem to be true in NC.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...-schools-to-secede-from-the-education-system/

appvol (great picture of UT by the way!)...admission to charter schools in NC is based on a lottery system (so there is no requirement for IQ testing, interviewing, income levels, etc.). Typically, during the first few years of opening, there will be more open positions than applicants, especially in the older grades. However, over time, the positions fill up quickly and the lottery becomes the primary tool for admitting new students. If your child does not get selected in the lottery, then you wait another year to reapply. There are some long waiting lists at most charter schools in the state.

When you mentioned prep (basketball) schools, I assume you are talking about Winston Salem Prep (dominant basketball program at 1A level right now). Winston Salem Prep is actually a magnet school under the control of the Forsyth County School system. I believe they have some sort of admissions process (interview, commitment of parents/guardians, etc.) but I know the school has been struggling academically (received an "F" on the NC Report Cards).

Sounds like your wife is at a very impressive school! However, it would not classify as a charter school in NC since admission is not by lottery (as required by the NC Board of Education and state law).

Hope this is helpful!

Reactions: Jerald119
Greystone in Stanly County was established by some parents and prominent citizens/business owners that felt their children were not as prepared for elite colleges as they should be and saw the local schools dropping further.

Many of the teachers there are retired local teachers who were considered the best in the area. They are basically part time so they have no issues with their retirement or so I understand.

Sounds like your wife is at a very impressive school! However, it would not classify as a charter school in NC since admission is not by lottery (as required by the NC Board of Education and state law).

Hope this is helpful!

Where she teaches kids apply but are picked by a lottery and then get interviewed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT