ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Crowd at 4A football game

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
I’m pretty sure I posted topic like this at one time. But I thought of doing little different.
What is the biggest crowd you been to in 4A football.

The Biggest crowd that I ever coached in front of. HMMM here are my top 3

1. Mt. Tabor vs Hoggard state championship 2007 at what was then BB&T field at Wake Forest University. The entire bottom half of the stadium was full as were the walkways. They had to open up the top half for more fans. I would say 15K-17K were there perhaps more
2. Mt. Tabor vs Davie County 2006. Davie county 50th homecoming game they(Davie) were ranked #3 in the state we beat them in what was an overtime thriller 12-13K. The joint was packed
3. Rolesville vs Wake Forest Rd 1. 2019 Rolesville(7-0) went into a 6-1) Wake Forest. Both sides were packed and rocking. Rolesville lost in OT while going for 2 there were 12K-13K

Smashmouth5 do you think possibly we could see similar big crowd for the upcoming season when Gaffney comes to Crest
There will certainly be some excitement and the game may be played at Gardner Webb. I believe the 1997 game had both teams coming into the opener ranked in the nation. Crest was coming off the 96 4A title and Gaffney may have won SC title (can't remember for sure) in 96.

Will be hard to live up to that hype.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Estimated 14,000+ at the 1984 Kannapolis vs. South Rowan game. (Kannapolis is 4A now, but at the time, it was #1 vs. #3 in 3A)

i-T2kqbcx-M.jpg

South Rowan v AL Brown was the game in the area for big crowds during the last 70’s early 80’s. Bigger than the Bell Game at the time.

As listed above Indy v Butler pulled big crowds at Memorial for a few years and the Richmond playoff game in 2003.

Largest crowd I have seen at Memorial was the 1980 Shrine Bowl. It was full. More than Harding v Garner in the 1987 state title game.

I think high school games drew larger crowds in the 1970’s through 1990’s or at least the games got more attention.

The Fat Friday games before new schools reduced the enrollments of Morgantown Freedom and East Burke. Huge crowds in some of the largest stadiums in the state.

South Rowan v AL Brown was the game in the area for big crowds during the last 70’s early 80’s. Bigger than the Bell Game at the time.

As listed above Indy v Butler pulled big crowds at Memorial for a few years and the Richmond playoff game in 2003.

Largest crowd I have seen at Memorial was the 1980 Shrine Bowl. It was full. More than Harding v Garner in the 1987 state title game.

I think high school games drew larger crowds in the 1970’s through 1990’s or at least the games got more attention.
Lived in Columbus,OH in the early 90s. Saw some huge crowds at some of the powerhouse games. Massilon/St Ignatius at the old Rubber Bowl in Akron was probably the biggest. 25-30k.

Back then the older guys would talk about massive crowds in the 70s for various games in the Akron/Youngstown area. They used to play title games at the Rubber Bowl.

Can’t believe no posting of a page vs Grimsley game
Would have had to been at Grimsley to have a crowd to be in the discussion. I like Page’s stadium but is not huge.
yeah but until about 8 years ago every game was hosted at Grimsley....lil before my time but I have heard there was some packed games between them in the 80's

The Fat Friday games before new schools reduced the enrollments of Morgantown Freedom and East Burke. Huge crowds in some of the largest stadiums in the state.
Certainly there were crowds in the 12k range at some of those games, but probably not more than that. I miss those days, but I also think the schools were too big and we made a good decision to do what was needed to reduce capacity.

Would have had to been at Grimsley to have a crowd to be in the discussion. I like Page’s stadium but is not huge.
Grimsley @ Page was always played at Jamieson Stadium from 1960 til 2015. Since then, the two schools have alternated host. Some of those games in the 70s through the 90s were standing room only. Probably anywhere in between 10-12k. Side note: Coach Gillespie was the main advocate of Page hosting at Marion Kirby Stadium. That first game hosted @ Page in 2015 had around 10k people. But, that was only because many older alums and fans showed up to see the first ever match up @ The Kirb.

If Page can shape up into form soon while Grimsley is still strong, with potential of both teams fighting for top seed conference championship and/or both being undefeated going into the match up, if the game is @ Grimsley, I expect no less than 10k at Jamieson.

I know that most of the people who post in these types of threads like to inflate numbers by at least a few thousand, I used to as well, but not anymore.

10k expected at Page vs Grimsley historic rivalry game

Its skinny friday now.
It just occurred to me that we also used to have fourth of July fireworks at the college with thousands of people in attendance as well (perhaps tens of thousands). They would spread out blankets and chairs on the hill until dark when the show started. It was no big deal to have community events with huge crowds and there were no problems, just everybody having a good time. The college stopped hosting because they were concerned about liability, which is too bad. I think people are missing out on something from the death of events like that and big football games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT