ADVERTISEMENT

Big Boy Football?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B&G are you saying that if Crest & Shelby were one 4A school with a comparable student enrollment you'd still take MC? Or you just saying that you're not willing to entertain the what if scenario?

I'm saying that I don't believe in the world of fantasy and its the same silly stuff that gets thrown out all the time and there is zero way to know what that would look like. Based purely on Division 1 talent MC would still have a sizeable advantage at least this year as there aren't 10-15 Division 1 kids on those combined rosters.

Now... Number of Division 1 athletes isn't a way to determine who would win a football game but then neither is believing in Pink Unicorns.

Also- Remember... I am not one that thinks MC versus Shelby would be a blow out. Matchups make games and I think Shelby's offense would be a larger challenge than Crest's. I think if they played 10 games MC wins 8.

That's said the easiest way to figure it out is to schedule MC. That will happen for Shelby about the same time we see the pink unicorns invading the bathrooms in Charlotte so really its just silly to talk about.

B&G, I fully respect your position as well as the other Meck Co posters and if you read my earlier post I agree with you that 98 or other Shelby folks get a little outside themselves when they disparage MC and then won't play them.(Shelby folks I have no way of knowing whether or not Shelby will play MC but as an outsider it seems that if they really wanted to play the game would happen) Now Meck posters let me play Devils advocate for a moment(not that Shelby is the devil). In boxing they have weight classes which is like classifications. Now I don't think Floyd Mayweather(Shelby) can beat Tyson or the current heavyweight champ(MC). But I think boxing aficionados would crown Floyd a better pound for pound fighter than Tyson!! Are you Meck posters willing to concede that Shelby maybe a better pound for pound team than MC? And 98 are you willing to concede that yall probably couldn't beat the heavyweight champ Mallard Creek?

So Hokie, you still take MC? I can respect your argument I'm trying to get yall to make a definitive statement that we all can debate and discuss.
Not necessarily MC. I think the top dog in Charlotte any given year would still be the top dog in the state regardless of whatever Shelby and Crest decided to do with their rosters.

Now, if you're talking about combining two schools to get 4,000 students, then that dynamic changes quite a bit. But if you're combining them to get 2,500, then I don't see where anything changes.

I would not expect MC or any other Charlotte school to go to Texas and beat a high school with 6,000 students (although there might be a year here and there where they would), and I would not expect them to consistently beat a Georgia high school with 4,500 students. But 2,500? I would pit Charlotte's best against any other 2,500 student high school in the country and would expect them to hold their own most years. Some years it wouldn't work out in our favor, but I'm guessing it might surprise everyone how often it actually would work out in our favor. I've seen football played in a lot of different states...Charlotte's top teams compare very favorably to any like-sized schools I've seen elsewhere, and that's from coast to coast.

Ok Hokie, I respect that. And I'm gonna assume most Meck posters feel the same. It's an understandable argument. And you maybe right, but I'm sure the Clev Co posters may think otherwise which makes for great discussion. They'd probably take Shelbys offense from last year with a couple of the Crest kids added and then use Crests defense with a few Shelby kids added. I think it'd be an interesting game.

B&G, I fully respect your position as well as the other Meck Co posters and if you read my earlier post I agree with you that 98 or other Shelby folks get a little outside themselves when they disparage MC and then won't play them.(Shelby folks I have no way of knowing whether or not Shelby will play MC but as an outsider it seems that if they really wanted to play the game would happen) Now Meck posters let me play Devils advocate for a moment(not that Shelby is the devil). In boxing they have weight classes which is like classifications. Now I don't think Floyd Mayweather(Shelby) can beat Tyson or the current heavyweight champ(MC). But I think boxing aficionados would crown Floyd a better pound for pound fighter than Tyson!! Are you Meck posters willing to concede that Shelby maybe a better pound for pound team than MC? And 98 are you willing to concede that yall probably couldn't beat the heavyweight champ Mallard Creek?

I think Shelby is a great football program. I don't think year in and year out they are in the Dillon category but if I had to make a comparison that is as good a place to go as any.

Dillon has played Mallard Creek twice now. At home ( huge advantage for many reasons) in the first game of the year ( big advantage for a SC school) and they have lost twice. Great games, hard fought but losses none the less. If they played again I have no reason to believe the outcome wouldn't be the same.

I feel very comfortable in saying that the same result would happen if it was Shelby- MC or Butler. Like Hokie said, Could they win one or two out of 10?? Sure .

Most Shelby posters get that. Lots of very knowledgeable and passionate fans. There is one guy who has a illness and needs to seek help.

Trust me..The Shelby coaches know exectly what they are doing by not playing MC. They are smart. There is no need to play MC to define yourself as a great program. They have already done that.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
I got you B&G!!! I don't think the middleweight can beat the heavyweight either!! But sometimes a great middleweight is considered pound for pound best fighter. However I agree with you, Shelby can't beat MC in a series or on a consistent basis. And I've yet to get an answer from 98 as to why they poke the heavyweight champ(MC) more than the Crest posters when Crest has been the best team in Clev Co the past few years.

Knotts took Dutch Fork to Allen Texas and it went to the last play. Allen won the third of their three straight national (on paper) and Texas big school titles that season. DF has about 2,400 students. Allen had in the 5,000 range.

Reactions: Chopper747
Shelby is never going to double in size, they are not joining Crest, they are not playing 4A programs in Charlotte, they are not a Dillon, They are not a state power. They are not getting new players from Crest. I'm not getting a cape to fly like superman.

They are a dominant 2A program. That's it! Nothing more or less.. 98 is a troll, that has tried unsuccessfully for the last 4 years to make them something they are not.

Mallard creek scrimmaged Northwestern and scheduled Dillon, Butler, Rock Hill (South Pointe), Byrnes on purpose.
They tried to schedule IMG, Grayson and Dematha. (All 3 ranked top 5 nationally)

While Shelby is scheduling Freedom, AC Reynolds, Rutherfordton-Spindale Central &South Point

Humongous difference in scheduling! Two programs that are total opposite in what they are trying to accomplish. One program win or lose is interested in playing the top teams nationally. The other is really not stepping too far outside their zip code.

Last edited:
We enjoyed the reviews on the elite MC struggle at 2A Dillon.
Refs, hostile crowd, inexperienced offense.
Hilarious.
The best one is "MC schedules the toughest early season competition so it will expose weaknesses and make them better later in the season".
Like MC staff is ahead of everyone else on that.
News flash guys.
Shelby's schedule has been set up that way since the 60's and most knowledgeable folks have known that all along. Go back and check our results and our level of competition. Most of our losses have occurred in the first 5 games and almost all against higher classifications.
That plan has obviously worked and some other area coaches have followed suit while publicly acknowledging Shelby's lead there.
It's not rocket science and others sort that out, but it is certainly not new or profound as MC posters frame it.
MC will lose to Butler on Friday.
MC will beat Byrnes, who just lost to 3A Myrtle Beach.
Then MC will lose to 3A South Pointe (SC).
So, goodbye to National ranking, which now you say is unimportant. That was fast.
Now MC is ready "for the rest of the season" and defending it's three-peat state title.......against who?
You could say against teams all weaker than you just played. But what does that really say about NC 4A competition?
We are more convinced than ever that MC would not have three-peated against lower classification champs. Be glad you are where you are.
Now let's discuss your obsession with Shelby's schedule.
We will objectively show that not only does Shelby (play somebody?) currently play a MORE difficult schedule than MC, a matchup with MC would accomplish no more in preparing the Golden Lions to pursue a 16th championship ring for the program. In other words, playing MC would not be a step up.
2A Shelby has around 850 students. 4A MC has around 2600 students, or three times Shelby's size. 3A Crest has about 1250. As Dillon just proved, student populations do not always dictate competitiveness....but they should. So why have classifications? Consider Shelby merging with Crest, holding FIVE CONSECUTIVE CURRENT FOOTBALL TITLES between them. 2100 students.
But what a football power.
4A as a class should approach that strength. It is in other states. Not in NC. And certainly not in Meck Co. Fortunate for MC.

MC schedule difficulty vs Shelby;
4A MC vs 2A Dillon ( current 2A state champ SC)
2A Shelby vs 3A South Point (NC, current 3A state runner up)
Advantage - Shelby more difficult due to playing up, MC playing down.
MC should win. Shelby should lose.
(Curiously, Dillon, a four-peat 2A champ gets tons of respect from MC folks while Shelby a three-peat 2A champ gets little)

4A MC vs 3A South Pointe (current 3A state champ SC)
2A Shelby vs 3A Crest (current repeat 3A state champ NC)
Advantage Shelby more difficult due to playing up, MC playing down.
MC should win, Shelby should lose

4A MC vs 4A Byrnes
2A Shelby vs 3A AC Reynolds
Byrnes and Reynolds have both won multiple 4A state titles in the last 16 seasons, Byrnes last in 2011, Reynolds last in 2009.
Advantage Shelby more difficult due to playing up, MC playing down
MC should win, Shelby should lose.

MC vs 4A Butler
Shelby vs 3A Freedom or 3A Kings Mountain
Advantage MC more difficult.
Butler will beat MC this year.
Freedom and KM are down this year due to graduation and injuries. However, last year when Shelby defeated both teams, 3A KM only other loss was to 3AA champ Crest and KM got to the 3A Western Finals only to lose to South Point (did we mention their only two losses already? To Shelby and Crest).
Butler has not gotten out of the second round for the last two years.
3A Freedom was a #1 3A seed last fall ( lost to KM) and featured the #2 running back in the country in BJ Emmons, who is currently the 2nd team back for Saban at Alabama, as a freshman!
Did MC face a Bama level runner last year, and win ?
And Freedom and KM are 50 % bigger schools than Shelby.

The rest of both schedules are very winnable for both MC and Shelby. And don't spew crap about MC's conference. Who else has won anything? Shelby has had both Kannapolis and 4A North Meck on the schedule recently. Then 3A Kannapolis caught us in Coach Ware's first two years, installing a new offense. Not who we are now.
Shelby beat North Meck two years in a row when they were the third largest school in the state. During our series with Freedom, they were the largest school in the state.
We have no more to prove or prepare by playing MC, Dillon, Byrnes, or South Pointe. Besides, Dillon told you. It's all about the rings.
Why not have MC play 3900 student Mills Creek in Atlanta and taste what it is like to compete up a class or two for the very first time.
Shelby has done it forever.
Advantage Shelby.
I started reading this post yesterday and just finished it today. Not only was it well written but it touched every emotion in me. I laughed, I cried, I was angry but when I finally finished it 16 hours later, I felt I had become a better person. I loved the happy ending!!! (Disclaimer......when I say happy ending I don't mean what some of you dirty old men mean by a "happy ending". I am already on probation here so I am trying to watch my p's and q's)

Knotts took Dutch Fork to Allen Texas and it went to the last play. Allen won the third of their three straight national (on paper) and Texas big school titles that season. DF has about 2,400 students. Allen had in the 5,000 range.
I'm under the impression that that result was more an exception than the rule, but I'll also freely admit that I don't see much Texas football. How many games have you seen Texas teams play? Do you think the top team(s) in NC / SC stack up OK with them during most years?

I'm under the impression that that result was more an exception than the rule, but I'll also freely admit that I don't see much Texas football. How many games have you seen Texas teams play? Do you think the top team(s) in NC / SC stack up OK with them during most years?

I've seen some Texas teams play. It depends really. MC could play up and beat a few lower tier 5A/6A(over 3500 students and counting), it would depend on the matchup and their coaching. I've seen Katy TX and they're well coached. Wasn't super impressed with the size of their line.

Nice use of bold lettering, nepsy7. Proud of you for learning that function.

You guys have absolutely no historical perspective. Your NC high school football world begins with 2000 Indy. So Dillon gets the respect because they play "all the way up" to current 4AA champ MC. And Shelby won't.
In 94 and 96, Crest won the only 4A title. No subdivisions. Not only did Shelby play them, we have played them every year since 1968. From 89 (3A) to 97 (2A), Shelby was 7-2 vs Crest, only losing 16-3 in 94 and 14-7 in 96.
Been there, done that.
Still doing it, as Crest has gone on in 3A to win 4 more titles and finish runnerup 3 other times. Crest has nothing else to prove to anyone either. Their past three decade performance is only effectively matched by Shelby's. No one else. Ask CatholicCougs14 if he wants any more of Crest.
We have our fun with Crest posters, but there is a healthy respect between the two fan bases, often intertwined. They readily and publicly acknowledge that it was Shelby that set the bar in Cleveland County for football excellence. In their state title rings, they engrave the win over Shelby score alongside the title game score. Think about that level of respect.
They know history.
Shelby played a four game series with Gaffney in the mid 90's. All time SC 4A title winners Gaffney won the SC 4A title in 97. And we already mentioned AC Reynolds with three 4A titles recently. No more needs to be said.
Time for MC to play "up" for once.
So MC would have to play colleges to play "up" a classification. Fine. Play them, we have. Look it up.
http://www.shelbyhighfooball.com
Knotts traveled to Ohio. Now Texas. What's the matter MC....afraid?
This has never been about 2A Shelby beating 4A MC. Bigger, more depth, wear us down.
This is about historic perspective on NC high school football.
But after this Dillon game and our history with others, we like our chances.
Consider again, if Shelby only played in their 2A classification or lower, as MC does in 4A,
Shelby has only lost 6 regular season games to 2A opponents in the last 19 years.
That is averaging less than 1 loss every three years.
Dillon has no history past the last 10 years. They only hope they can sustain their recent success, as does MC.
As a matter of accuracy, we stand corrected that Byrnes is a 4A program as MC. The fact they just lost to 3A Myrtle Beach confused us briefly. Kinda takes the luster off their visit to MC. Why not play your idol Indy....oh yea, they are eating their own now. Be careful with success. When Butler beats MC, we know some of you will proclaim Butler as back on top and best program ever.
Then this will start all over.
The Shelby High School Golden Lions.
The most successful, sustained, winning high school football program in North Carolina.
The True Dynasty
Www.shelbyhighfootball.com

You guys have absolutely no historical perspective. Your NC high school football world begins with 2000 Indy. So Dillon gets the respect because they play "all the way up" to current 4AA champ MC. And Shelby won't.
In 94 and 96, Crest won the only 4A title. No subdivisions. Not only did Shelby play them, we have played them every year since 1968. From 89 (3A) to 97 (2A), Shelby was 7-2 vs Crest, only losing 16-3 in 94 and 14-7 in 96.
Been there, done that.
Still doing it, as Crest has gone on in 3A to win 4 more titles and finish runnerup 3 other times. Crest has nothing else to prove to anyone either. Their past three decade performance is only effectively matched by Shelby's. No one else. Ask CatholicCougs14 if he wants any more of Crest.
We have our fun with Crest posters, but there is a healthy respect between the two fan bases, often intertwined. They readily and publicly acknowledge that it was Shelby that set the bar in Cleveland County for football excellence. In their state title rings, they engrave the win over Shelby score alongside the title game score. Think about that level of respect.
They know history.
Shelby played a four game series with Gaffney in the mid 90's. All time SC 4A title winners Gaffney won the SC 4A title in 97. And we already mentioned AC Reynolds with three 4A titles recently. No more needs to be said.
Time for MC to play "up" for once.
So MC would have to play colleges to play "up" a classification. Fine. Play them, we have. Look it up.
http://www.shelbyhighfooball.com
This has never been about 2A Shelby beating 4A MC. Bigger, more depth, wear us down.
This is about historic perspective on NC high school football.
But after this Dillon game and our history with others, we like our chances.
Consider again, if Shelby only played in their 2A classification or lower, as MC does in 4A,
Shelby has only lost 6 regular season games to 2A opponents in the last 19 years.
That is averaging less than 1 loss every three years.
Dillon has no history past the last 10 years. They only hope they can sustain their recent success, as does MC.
As a matter of accuracy, we stand corrected that Byrnes is a 4A program as MC. The fact they just lost to 3A Myrtle Beach confused us briefly. Kinda takes the luster off their visit to MC. Why not play your idol Indy....oh yea, they are eating their own now. Be careful with success. When Butler beats MC, we know some of you will proclaim Butler as back on top and best program ever.
Then this will start all over.
The Shelby High School Golden Lions.
The most successful, sustained, winning high school football program in North Carolina.
The True Dynasty
Www.shelbyhighfootball.com

You're still a little 2A power! Nothing changes

Crest arguably had the best football program in the state from '93-'00, taking on and beating all comers (including Chris Leak's 4A champ Independence in 2000).

What the heck happened to their balls since then? Where did they lose that mojo?

98, Shelby is not a 4a program. So please, for the love of football, get off the board. Go back to the 2a board and tell them how great Shelby is, like they care. But at least since they're 2a, they may care a little... We don't, that I can promise you, troll.

Last edited:
Reactions: 704CougarsDad
Isn't it bad because he wrote all that in bold letters, I really didn't want to read it?? This is 4a board+ his argument is about a 2a team= just don't compute. Bye Felicia, gone somewhere...

Last edited:

In 94 and 96, Crest won the only 4A title. No subdivisions.

4a division in 1994. Why do they keep getting smaller. How come everyone moves away to live in Charlotte??

Knotts never played as tough a schedule as MC is playing this year. Not even close.

Go back and read this thread.
We started out discussing 4A football.
We did not bring up Shelby or our schedule.
You guys did. It is you who are obsessed with us.
We are in your heads. Right where we want to be.
You can't discuss NC football dominance without acknowledging Shelby far surpasses any of your "flavors of the months".
Once you challenged us, we responded with factual history.
Now you want to accuse us of arguing 2A on a 4A board.
We merely answered your questions.
And you can't handle it.
So you resort to name calling and tell us to get off your board.
Weak. Just like NC 4A.

Idiot...YOU STARTED THIS THREAD, and apparently just to insult Mallard Creek. Hello? You are the OP here.

Go back and read this thread.
We started out discussing 4A football.
We did not bring up Shelby or our schedule.
You guys did. It is you who are obsessed with us.
We are in your heads. Right where we want to be.
You can't discuss NC football dominance without acknowledging Shelby far surpasses any of your "flavors of the months".
Once you challenged us, we responded with factual history.
Now you want to accuse us of arguing 2A on a 4A board.
We merely answered your questions.
And you can't handle it.
So you resort to name calling and tell us to get off your board.
Weak. Just like NC 4A.

You despise Mallard Creek & you do everything within your little brain to insult the program. Your motivation is srtictly to bring attention to your little 2A program. Deana King has warned you on numerous occassions to stop. You show a total disregard for the people on the 4A board. So now you make very condescending remarks as if you're the victim. No one on any 4A board is concern with what is going on with Shelby Football. YOU ARE A TROLL! GO HOME LITTLE MAN!

Last edited:
I have seen the top programs play in person from about twenty states. I have always thought that the top couple of teams from the football power states and most other states would be competitive. There would be done blowouts, tgere would be some surprises, but for the most part close games. We often see teams play up to their competition and I think this is a trait that MC has shown but it bit them a few times last year and nearly got them a few other times but the competition gets up for the big game, also. Doubtful Dillon puts as much emphasis on any game as they did MC and will probably not be that Javier up except late playoff rounds and their biggest rival.

I feel Florida is the outlier due to very liberal transfer policies and players being allowed to play until they are 19 years and 9 months old. They do not appear to have the coaching that many other states have. Very reliant on great athletes.

Per Wikipedia: troll-Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement.

Don't fall for it. In their eyes even tho they start stuff, when u respond ur the one who initially started it. Just ignore them

3 straight state championships at the highest classification in NC in 10 years is pretty impressive.

Crest arguably had the best football program in the state from '93-'00, taking on and beating all comers (including Chris Leak's 4A champ Independence in 2000).

What the heck happened to their balls since then? Where did they lose that mojo?
Maybe their balls were deflated.

97-98 Richmond County....nuff said

I lived in Texas for four years and so plenty of ball there. My answer would be no, not the top teams.

Saw Southlake Carroll a couple of their tithe years including 2004. Thought Indy would have beat them but that was Indy's best team.

I think the depth of teams is the difference in Texas. There may be a couple of elite teams in NC and SC but Texas may have twenty.

Saw Southlake Carroll a couple of their tithe years including 2004. Thought Indy would have beat them but that was Indy's best team.

I think the depth of teams is the difference in Texas. There may be a couple of elite teams in NC and SC but Texas may have twenty.
North Carolina football is not even in the same world as Texas football. Nor Florida. Nor Georgia. Nor California. Nor ....... The list goes on.

Do the kids n Texas fly with a cape or become invisible? I've been watching the NFL for a long time and from what I've seen guys from Texas plays the same sports as the guys from nc or sc. So what's the difference?

Maybe their balls were deflated.
How in the world did we get thrown in this? But since you asked. Even in the 90's. We played the same 3 county schools we play now .We played a very weak conference schedule. That's all we heard then too. Now, Richmond Co. fan throwing rocks at us. The raiders know . We came to play. We competed in 4a and was successful. I have no doubt. If we were moved to 4a next year. We would compete and be successful.

WC and Crest had some tight games and there were some big WC wins also.

I remember Asheville Reynolds under Coach Poss going to Texas and winning a game that many thought ACR had no chance of winning. I can't remember the year but it was around the time ACR won a 4a title.

How in the world did we get thrown in this? But since you asked. Even in the 90's. We played the same 3 county schools we play now .We played a very weak conference schedule. That's all we heard then too. Now, Richmond Co. fan throwing rocks at us. The raiders know . We came to play. We competed in 4a and was successful. I have no doubt. If we were moved to 4a next year. We would compete and be successful.
I think the Crest and Shelby fans (and probably both sets of players, too) have plenty of want-to about getting out and seeing the rest of the world outside of Cleveland Co. It's a real shame the admin at both schools think really small. That's a loss for the Cleveland teams, but also for the fans of other schools around the rest of the state who like to see good teams play meaningful games outside of their local areas, and for the state of football in general in North Carolina.

Maybe one day someone there with scheduling power over there will have a change of heart.

I remember Asheville Reynolds under Coach Poss going to Texas and winning a game that many thought ACR had no chance of winning. I can't remember the year but it was around the time ACR won a 4a title.

ACR beat Denison 24-0

Denison High School is a public high school in Denison, Texas,United States and classified as a 5A school by the UIL. . It is part of the Denison Independent School District located in north central Grayson County.

Address: 1901 S Mirick Ave, Denison, TX 75020
District: Denison Independent School District
Phone: Mascot: Yellow Jacket
Number of students: 1,279 (2010)
Lowest grade: Ninth grade

That is not a big school in Texas. Southlake Carroll and Allen are MUCH BIGGER. As you can see...both of these schools are much bigger than Denison. I belieive that if ACR play a powerhouse football team in Texas, the score would be much different.
Denison is definetly not a powerhouse but they did have nice run of 4 years (1994 to 1997) Denison was 5-5 that year when ACR beat them.

Here is info about Allen

Allen High School is a public, co-educational secondary school in Allen, Texas, that serves students in 10th through 12th grades. It is the only high school in the Allen Independent School District. Wikipedia

Address: 300 Rivercrest Blvd, Allen, TX 75002
Phone: Mascot: Allen Eagle
Number of students: 4,763

Here is more info about other school like Southlake Carroll

Carroll Senior High School is a public secondary school in Southlake, Texas, serving students in grades 11 - 12. Wikipedia

Address: 1501 W Southlake Blvd, Southlake, TX 76092
District: Carroll Independent School District
Phone: Number of students: 1,289

Hey I understand that NC High School teams could compete and even beat some team from other states but overall, we are not on the same page as Texas, Florida, Ga, California, Ohio and Pennsylvania. High School football in Texas is a religion compare to here.

Pennsylvania football appears to not be what it once was. People with more knowledge can hop in but I think the state has fell behind a bit.

Ohio is the home of "robo" football with great coaching and support. Think a bigger and more style Charlotte Catholic for a lot if their top teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT