ADVERTISEMENT

Best/Worst NC HS stadium you’ve been to & why.

Supposedly Crest, Burns, and KM are all getting new press boxes.
You are right that info is info is in todays paper. The article says almost 5 million in upgrades for the 4 schools press boxes. Maybe KM will throw there take back into the other schools since they are obviously have the nicest stadium and most upgrades of any stadium in the county by far.

You are right that info is info is in todays paper. The article says almost 5 million in upgrades for the 4 schools press boxes. Maybe KM will throw there take back into the other schools since they are obviously have the nicest stadium and most upgrades of any stadium in the county by far.
I hope its not all the same cookie cutter design for all 3. Let each have its own personality.

Cleveland County Schools will spend $4 million upgrading press boxes, bathrooms and concession stands at three high schools.

The redesign of the press boxes will include new bathroom facilities and concession stands on the home sides at Burns and Crest and renovated bathrooms on the visitor side of Kings Mountain's football field.

Cleveland County Schools was awarded a $4.9 million grant in the 2021 state budget. The money was designated specifically for upgrades to the stadiums at the four high schools. Specifically addressed in the grant were the press boxes at Burns, Crest, and Kings Mountain as well as the new field house at Shelby High School.

Cleveland County Schools will spend $4 million upgrading press boxes, bathrooms and concession stands at three high schools.

The redesign of the press boxes will include new bathroom facilities and concession stands on the home sides at Burns and Crest and renovated bathrooms on the visitor side of Kings Mountain's football field.

Cleveland County Schools was awarded a $4.9 million grant in the 2021 state budget. The money was designated specifically for upgrades to the stadiums at the four high schools. Specifically addressed in the grant were the press boxes at Burns, Crest, and Kings Mountain as well as the new field house at Shelby High School.

Guess it helps when the Speaker of the House is from your county.

The view at Owen is underappreciated. With the addition of artificial turf, McDowell is pretty nice. Their visitor stands are not very steep but you see pretty well. The home side is particularly large. Cherokee is great. Grimsley reminds me of an old college stadium. Some of the nicest folks are at South Point and their home side is rather unique with their theater style seats.

I despise Hibriten's visitor's side. Mountain Heritage seems perpetually damp and there is apparently a sewage treatment plant nearby.

It’s so cool to hear all this from you guys, I’d say it’s so easy to say most of the nicest stadiums are in the west. Very little east talk up here. It’s to be expected though. Sorry to hear about the field up at Pisgah. Seems like I remember hearing about the flood but had forgot.
I was in Charlotte a few years back, so I decided to take in a Shelby/Kings Mtn game. I can tell you, western schools know how to do it right. Tailgating, students, alumni, parents are really into the game. I hate to say it, but eastern schools have nothing on them.

Stadiums I like are Erwin, Hendersonville
,Pisgah ,Asheville,
Avery if the weather is good ,it's one cold place late in season.
I can remember 1980 my Freshman year at Mountain Heritage our JV team had 22 players I believe it was our 1st away game to all places AC Reynolds.
We pulled up Football team and Cheerleader's AC Reynolds officials asks when will our other bus arrive ,Coach says this is it ,I think we barely had enough players too finish game not to mention getting beat 80 to 0.ive never been back, but what I can remember AC Reynolds,had a nice Stadium Also if my memory Is correct Bobby Bowens and Carey Metts were freshman or sophomores 2 really good players for the rockets,Bowens blocked ever punt we attempted dude was un blockable..

That's in Texas, Florida, and California. This is North Carolina.

And 100 years ago? Your perspective is a bit skewed.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Maiden Creek
100 years ago, I dont know what it looks like now but this is all perspective.

A stadium with no track and stone seating from ancient Greece is nice to alot of you

I've seen high school stadiums that have Div 1 college amenities

So you like a track around it. ?wow. That's crazy.
My favorites don't have a track. I like to be close to the field instead of needing binoculars to see a play on the far sidelines.

That may be true, but in my opinion, there is something very unique about covering or attending a game at any of the Duplin County schools. All four play in stadiums with no track and very intimate settings. Add to it rabid, knowledgeable fan basis and a sense of community pride and it makes for a great Friday night.

Wallace-Rose Hill actually plays their games off campus in Legion Stadium whereas the other three all play on campus. The playing surfaces at all locations are top notch but as another poster stated, the one at East Duplin is the best especially when one considers that soccer is also played there unlike WRH or JK. North Duplin also has a super field. JK needs bigger home bleachers, bigger press box and improved restroom facilities. ED needs larger restrooms and concession stand. WRH needs better sound system and maybe a visitor side coaches box.

I guess its hard to get those things when compared to other schools and budgets across the state.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
That may be true, but in my opinion, there is something very unique about covering or attending a game at any of the Duplin County schools. All four play in stadiums with no track and very intimate settings. Add to it rabid, knowledgeable fan basis and a sense of community pride and it makes for a great Friday night.

Wallace-Rose Hill actually plays their games off campus in Legion Stadium whereas the other three all play on campus. The playing surfaces at all locations are top notch but as another poster stated, the one at East Duplin is the best especially when one considers that soccer is also played there unlike WRH or JK. North Duplin also has a super field. JK needs bigger home bleachers, bigger press box and improved restroom facilities. ED needs larger restrooms and concession stand. WRH needs better sound system and maybe a visitor side coaches box.

I guess its hard to get those things when compared to other schools and budgets across the state.

Not sure why all the hype of ED. Probably the worst Field ever played on lol. The baseball field is on the football as well....... Like the old NFL teams in Cali. ED wouldn't be in top 100 fields in the state lol. WRH is terrible as well. Brick walls like 4 feet behind the end zone.. got grown men standing 2 feet from the field screaming all game. Kids hate playing at both these fields lol. You guys must not get out much to see football games at the highschool level...

You must not have been to East Duplin lately. The current baseball field was completed in the mid 2000's. The turf is top notch.

Legion Stadium has been around for close to 80 years and rivals any stadium around.

I wanted to share my FULL experience. Even rural Texas and Oklahoma have big state of the art football stadiums.
I went out to Texas when I was 19 years old to work construction on a Nuclear Power plant being built in Glen Rose Texas 1979. I went to a high school game in Stephenville to watch Glen Rose play. Kid from Stephenville kicked a 40+ yard field goal. When I played at West Craven in 77 we thought we were doing good to be able to kick an extra point. Stephenville had an indoor practice building back then. I suspect they have super facilities now. I went back a few years ago and took my wife and youngest daughter. Glen Rose has a new school and a beautiful football field. They also have a new indoor practice facility as do most high schools out there. I guess the Nuclear Power Plant has helped them do that. Comanche Peak is the name of the plant.
I went to Columbus Ohio back in 2003 to Watch NC State play OSU in the Shoe. I have some friends there I was able to stay with. Going through WV we lost radio reception ( got sirus now) Once we got into Ohio and was getting close to Columbus I turned the radio back on. It was about 6pm as we got there on a Friday evening. Looking for music on the radio I was shocked at all the stations on there doing high school pregame talk shows. It was about all that was on. I would love to see NC catch the high school craze like Texas and Ohio. Those of us here on this board have it but we are in a minority in this state.

You must not have been to East Duplin lately. The current baseball field was completed in the mid 2000's. The turf is top notch.

Legion Stadium has been around for close to 80 years and rivals any stadium around.
You must be drunk. Legion stadium is terrible..... Yes I've been to both every year for last 27 years.... SWO plays both every year. As SWO is my team I'm at each stadium yearly. Wouldn't talk if I didn't know clown

Well how you can think anyone can play baseball on any field that has bleachers on top of a cement pad that stretches from one 20 yard line to the other 20 yard line is hard for me to understand but it's your story. Tell it how you want. Maybe others who have been to a game (football or baseball) at ED in the last 15 years and post on the site will be able to confirm what I am saying.

Not sure why all the hype of ED. Probably the worst Field ever played on lol. The baseball field is on the football as well....... Like the old NFL teams in Cali. ED wouldn't be in top 100 fields in the state lol. WRH is terrible as well. Brick walls like 4 feet behind the end zone.. got grown men standing 2 feet from the field screaming all game. Kids hate playing at both these fields lol. You guys must not get out much to see football games at the highschool level...

ah yes, the truth comes out. What a joke.

Princeton field is very nice. The visitor seating needs improvement but they say it's in the works. I like Legion in Wallace with everything right on the field. Got that old school feel about it. Went by Cherokee when I was in the mountains that's just crazy nice. Want to go to some games at the mountain schools and would love to go to a Shelby game.

Princeton field is very nice. The visitor seating needs improvement but they say it's in the works. I like Legion in Wallace with everything right on the field. Got that old school feel about it. Went by Cherokee when I was in the mountains that's just crazy nice. Want to go to some games at the mountain schools and would love to go to a Shelby game.
I stopped and looked at Princeton’s today. It is nice!

Reactions: dogs79 and oldway55
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT