ADVERTISEMENT

Best of the best in the SMC

KnightInShiningArmor

Nov 7, 2018
Graham County
I know the 1976 black knight team is considered the best team Robbinsville has ever had and the 1987 bulldogs team is considered the best team Murphy has ever had, but what about the others?
Swain, Cherokee, Rosman, Andrews, and Hayesville. What are their best teams?

I know the 1976 black knight team is considered the best team Robbinsville has ever had and the 1987 bulldogs team is considered the best team Murphy has ever had, but what about the others?
Swain, Cherokee, Rosman, Andrews, and Hayesville. What are their best teams?
Who were some of your players in 76. Was Solesbee Qb

The general consensus for Swain is the 79 team. Undefeated (I don't think we've had another since then) and the only 2A championship we have to date. A bit before my time since that's when I was born. I got to enjoy the 2003/11 teams though. They were fun to watch and dominant on both sides.

Well no way to not say last years team for Cherokee is the best because they got the ring.. the woods crew was really good too.
I'd say last year's team would beat the Woods era. They were too one dimensional. I still remember the playoffs when South Stanly (I think it was) came to Cherokee and ran a complete clock dominant game to take the win. Hiked the ball every down with 2-3 seconds on the play clock.

I'd say last year's team would beat the Woods era. They were too one dimensional. I still remember the playoffs when South Stanly (I think it was) came to Cherokee and ran a complete clock dominant game to take the win. Hiked the ball every down with 2-3 seconds on the play clock.
That was a very good and athletic Cherokee team. I went to the game you were talking about. Personally I felt the only thing missing in that team that night was a true fullback. Cherokee had all the speed and athleticism Cold night and very disappointed ride back to Andrews

I enjoyed watching the team from Swain with Tisho , wildcat . Smith , panther , writght ... man that team was impressive . Can’t believe they gave up that many points in state . I watched them make an undefeated Hendersonville team run and hide

Last edited:
Peronally I've always thought the 86 Dogs were our best team. They didn't allow a single team to score double digits on them and didn't lose to Swain. Never understood why everyone thinks 87 was better.

Reactions: knine1
I've always thought the 86 Dogs were our best. Did not allow a single team to score double digits and didn't lose to Swain. Never understood why everyone thinks 87 was better.
I can see why some would think the '86 team was better based on the fact that they ran the table and '87 didn't. But the loss to Swain in '87 was a fluke, Murphy absolutely destroyed them in a rematch in the playoffs. '86 had a better defense and '87 had a better offense. Overall '87 gets the nod as the more talented team of the two in my book.

Reactions: Gentle Knight
I always enjoy these type of discussions. Take it a step further, what year was the best team from each school that didn't win state? Of course winning it al is a major deal but there is some very good teams that just had a bad bounce in the playoffs. What's everyone's thoughts?

I always enjoy these type of discussions. Take it a step further, what year was the best team from each school that didn't win state? Of course winning it al is a major deal but there is some very good teams that just had a bad bounce in the playoffs. What's everyone's thoughts?
The 2002 and 2003 Hayesville teams get my vote. Instead of Elkin winning the ship back to back the Yellowjackets should have.

I think we can more likely remember the shoulda beens more clearly than define who the greatest team was out of championship seasons. I think some of us are just fortunate enough to have plenty to nit pick from. I look back and see plenty of SMC teams that should of bolstered the hardware for the conference. You had those early 2000s Hayesville teams that had the pieces but couldn’t finish the puzzle.
Then you had the mid to late 2000s Cherokee team that had a chance to win multiple championships. The 02 or 03? team had a winning record but were not expected to make it the regional finals, I say this of course because while we waxed them in the season they came and shut us up only falling to the eventual state champs Swain. I still think that the 2005-2008 teams were overall better than even the 2017 team because of the stable of backs and winning pedigree that seemed to inherit them as they moved up. You forget they won the conference twice and that first year was the most dominant display by a Cherokee team. However can’t deny the hardware and of course coaching.
Rosman in 2015 could of easily went from 4th to 1st if not had been for the injury bug. They had us reeling and almost “warming up the bus” and I feel that season if someone sneezed wrong you’d have a choice of 3 different SMC teams in the state finals.
It is always good to look back but I feel regardless of a team did or did not win a championship I think as a conference no one is as revered.

Reactions: mbdfan
Cherokee had a dang good team in 1989.Jonah wolf was a beast and the late rod cooper was a very good back.hayesville had a good football team in 1993.the swain team that lost to graham in 3rd round.it was early 2000s I believe was very good also.graham was as talented a 1A school as I've seen.

Reactions: mbdfan
When Rosman went on that run in 97, wasn't there a rule that if you beat the higher seed, you got the home field or am I just making it up?

Have to mention those Cherokee teams again and how they probably could have won it all, but they ran into Elkin a couple of those years when they were running the table.

When Rosman went on that run in 97, wasn't there a rule that if you beat the higher seed, you got the home field or am I just making it up?

Have to mention those Cherokee teams again and how they probably could have won it all, but they ran into Elkin a couple of those years when they were running the table.

Yeah, back in those days a lower seeded team could take the higher seed's place if they were fortunate enough to win...Both Rosman and North Edgecombe played at home after beating the top seeded teams with 9th seeded Rosman(9-3) beating unbeaten(12-0) #1 Thomasville on the road in the 2nd round back in 97 and 16th seeded North Edgecombe(6-4) beating (45-33) top seeded(10-1) Camden County 45-33 on the road in the first round back in 1998 which propelled the Warriors all the way to the title game where they lost 22-20 to Starmount(15-1) who claimed their only 1A state title to date, so guess the Ram's fans will have to chime in on whether that team was Starmount's best team ever or not?

That Rosman playoff run in 97' when the Tigers beat 4 teams in the West who were all 2A schools the year before, will always be one of the proudest and brightest moments in the history of the Rosman Football program....It's a shame that team came up a little short in the title game(38-28) to North Edgecombe who finished that 1997 season unbeaten(15-0)....The Warriors lost(13-0) in the title game to unbeaten(14-0) Murphy in 96', which was a couple years after the 94' Warriors(13-2), handed Murphy(13-1) their only loss(7-6) of the season in the title game....Raymond Cobb's name doesn't get mentioned on here a lot, but he was a hellava football coach for the Warriors during that span of the 1990s...

That Rosman 84' team that ran the Notre Dame Box offense doesn't get talked about a lot, but that Tiger team featured Jay Sheridan at RB, and that team ended in the first round(21-6) of the playoffs, Robbinsville's 5 year reign as 1A champs that had begun back in 1979, and ran thru 1983...That group of Tigers came up short in the title game to Jamesville 6-0, near the coast of N.C.....A good friend of mine who played on that team was furious that Coach Franklin Cecil who was in his frist and only year as Tigers' Coach, would not throw the ball to him....Cecil had inherited that team from Jim Fox who had left to take the Pisgah job after 1983....My good friend was a 3 time 1st team All-Conference player for the Tigers from that position..One of the very few Tigers to ever be a 1st team All Conference performer for 3 straight years....Said that Cecil was bound, and determined to run the football that night, and would not pass even though Jamesville had 10 men in the box....I always felt that Tiger team was one of the hardest to stop on offense, and was a great team defensively....Maybe the best defensive team Rosman has ever put on the field, but I'll leave that to be debated among Tiger fans... That 84' team beat a very solid Cullowhee team in the Semifinals that year 10-7 with QB Todd Cottrell under center for the Rebels that night.....Yeah, Hayesville head basketball coach Michael Cottrell's brother....Todd was a very good QB who had led the Rebels to the SMC title that season, and that team may have been the best team Cullowhee ever fielded before they later merged with Sylva-Webster to form current day Smoky Mountain....

Anyway, enough of my ramblings!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

The 02 team when they lined Martin and Hyatt up in the back field was pretty killer on Friday nights and during the week against the scout team....

Toineeta was tough to bring down out of that backfield, too. Cherokee and Hayesville third round OT game that year was a classic.

just how far could he get down field in 2 seconds, that's how much time your quarter would have before he was looking straight up laying on his back.
Murphy had Shawn Johnson, James Shope, etc. on the line. Get real

Toineeta was tough to bring down out of that backfield, too. Cherokee and Hayesville third round OT game that year was a classic.

Yeah and the Kirkland kid under center had a cannon for an arm....Seen him roll out one night in Cherokee, and throw a pass 50+yds, but thankfully overthrew the WR....That Cherokee team was a load that season as was Hayesville that year....

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
I enjoyed watching the team from Swain with Tisho , wildcat . Smith , panther , writght ... man that team was impressive . Can’t believe they gave up that many points in state . I watched them make an undefeated Hendersonville team run and hide
If you are talking about 2012, Hendersonville wasn't undefeated prior to the Swain County loss (56-24). East Henderson beat the Bearcats 43-33 during the regular season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT