ADVERTISEMENT

Best 1a team since 2010

I would have given anything for the 2008 Thomasville vs MT Airy. Both 1AA and 1A undefeated State Champions. We will never know the outcome of this match up.
Pretty sure I heard that they scrimmaged each other before the season at one of those jamborees or something. Mount Airy beat the brakes off of them. I might be wrong. They could have been the or another team. Any truth to that?

Pretty sure I heard that they scrimmaged each other before the season at one of those jamborees or something. Mount Airy beat the brakes off of them. I might be wrong. They could have been the or another team. Any truth to that?
MA scrimmaged Newton-Conover that year. Newton won the 2a state championship.

2019 East Surry is the best 1A team I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot of them. Sort of miss seeing the 1A teams now that I'm working in an area with 3A teams.

There may be teams that were as talented, but very few have ever beaten another state champion at a higher class in the season they won the title. I saw Wallace in '15 and Tarboro in '17, and either of those teams could play with East Surry '19, but I'd still take the Cardinals.

The 2019 Cardinals are the best 1A team that I've ever seen and I believe the best ever for Northwest NC. Many of the Reidsville guys have posted that that East Surry team was one of the best they had ever seen. That speaks volumes considering the type of talent and teams they have played and fielded.

If we are talking about the best 1A teams ever, I would put the 1987 Murphy team up against anyone that has ever won a championship in 1A. The only close game they had was Swain in the regular season which was a one point win, however, they completely smacked them in the playoffs. They were an overall well-oiled machine.

2015 Wallace-Rose Hill Bulldogs. Johnny Glaspie, Keyshawn Canady, Aliza Carter, Javonte Williams, Desmond Newkirk, Eric James, Hunter Hanchey, Yahir Cano. They went 15-1 Started off that year whipping up on Hoggard in Jamboree. Lost our 3rd game of season to JK after beating Laney and ED soundly two games before. I could tell before that game at JK our guys minds wasn’t right. The Dogs beat Clinton 28-14. Third round of playoffs beat East Carteret 59-7. EC had a QB that had passed for over 4600 yds and was ranked #1 in state and #8 nationally. Then our dogs got revenge on JK 29-13 in Eastern Championship. A game that Cano made a 52 yd fg as time expired at half. That changed the game a the dogs dominated second half. Went to play championship against Mitchell which I thought was second best team we played behind JK. The first time Keyshawn touch the ball, he was hit in knee area and sprained it. He was out and that’s when JJ ( Johnnie Glaspie) had probably the best game I’ve seen from a RB at Wallace-Rose Hill . He was electrifying and WRH won 48-28 to go back to back. That team scored 98 touchdowns and averaged 45 points a game and over 5600 offensive yds. WRH had 123 tackles for loss and 17 interceptions and gave up less than 10 points a game. That’s my best 1a team but I can’t forget that Albemarle team with TA
That wrh team is the best 1a team Mitchell has played since moving to 1a. We could’ve beat the east surry team in 2019. Had a chance in that game, but if we’d played wrh 10 times they’d have beat us 10xs. Not only did they have an nfl player on the team, they were well coached and disciplined. They didn’t make mistakes.

That wrh team is the best 1a team Mitchell has played since moving to 1a. We could’ve beat the east surry team in 2019. Had a chance in that game, but if we’d played wrh 10 times they’d have beat us 10xs. Not only did they have an nfl player on the team, they were well coached and disciplined. They didn’t make mistakes.
the 2019 East Surry and Mitchell game was close. It would be run vs pass be difficult to see who would win that game. I would have to give the edge to East Surry cause id say East Surry Defense is better than WRH they gave up a lot of points in that 15 state title game against Mitchell. Lucky for them there offence was really good it would be a shootout for sure

the 2019 East Surry and Mitchell game was close. It would be run vs pass be difficult to see who would win that game. I would have to give the edge to East Surry cause id say East Surry Defense is better than WRH they gave up a lot of points in that 15 state title game against Mitchell. Lucky for them there offence was really good it would be a shootout for sure
The 2015 team was the best offense Mitchell county has fielded. We played east surry in 2019. They were a great team. Not as good as wrh. We had a chance to beat east surry. We had no chance to beat wrh in 15.

We put up 28 points in on the east surry 2019 team and if not for a blind zebra it’d have been 34

We put up 28 points in on the east surry 2019 team and if not for a blind zebra it’d have been 34
Mitchell's head coach said during a interview the week of the state championship game back in 2021, that had that touchdown counted they would have gone for two. I don't blame him either I'd have done the same thing. I think tarboro vs Mitchell that year would have been pretty good. I think tarboro would have won a close one.

I thought tarboro would beat east surry that year too
Most thought that as well. The unsung heroes of that night was the offensive line of East surry. They won the battle at the Los and gave Boaz a clean pocket all night to pick apart a good tarboro defense. That east team definitely had one of the best passing attacks to ever come through this state in any classification. If that team had a defense similar to Mount airy this past year or this upcoming year, lord have mercy.

Most thought that as well. The unsung heroes of that night was the offensive line of East surry. They won the battle at the Los and gave Boaz a clean pocket all night to pick apart a good tarboro defense. That east team definitely had one of the best passing attacks to ever come through this state in any classification. If that team had a defense similar to Mount airy this past year or this upcoming year, lord have mercy.

SWO 2012 would curb stomp east..... In 1a that year, whipped the field when anyone lined up......

SWO had 2A numbers for several years and East Surry would have beaten SWO as badly as they did Reidsville in 2019 if SWO had played them. East beat Tarboro 55-28 for the State Champion and Tarboro beat Northeastern 14-0 for the State Champion so both would have blown away SWO and sent them packing ! Together East Surry & Tarboro scored a total of 1397 points averaging 698 between them....The 2012 SWO wouldn't have beaten either of the East Surry or Tarboro 2019 teams. East May have beaten any 2A team that year since they beat Reidsville the 2a State Championship
SW0 2012
PF602
PA177

user-matching
u

1x1.png

Last edited:
SWO had 2A numbers for several years and East Surry would have beaten SWO as badly as they did Reidsville in 2019 if SWO had played them. East beat Tarboro 55-49 for the State Champion and Tarboro beat Northeastern 14-0 so both would have blown away SWO and sent them packing ! Together East Surry & Tarboro scored a total of 1584 points averaging 792 between them....The 2012 SWO wouldn't have beaten either of the East Surry or Tarboro 2019 teams.
SW0 2012
PF602
PA177

user-matching
u

1x1.png
East beat Reidsville 55-49 that year they ended up beating Tarboro 56-28

East beat Reidsville 55-49 that year they ended up beating Tarboro 56-28
Sorry, I meant to say Reidsville 55-49 & Tarboro 56-49 but that is one of the mistakes I make when not thinking what I am doing and typing too fast. lol, Y'all will have to overlook me this year as I may get worse with mistakes. My new computer has spell check but not stupid old-age mistake check. LOL o_O

I should have written down those scores instead of trying to use my memory which is not too good anymore.

Last edited:
TA Mcclendon was the best high school player I've ever seen, hands down. That's what made that team so special. The only reason Thomasville beat them was TA was out with cramps nearly all the second half.
The 2004 Thomasville team that beat us in the Finals was the best overall 1A team I saw. Good o-line, really good RB in Quan Warley, freshman stud in Abrams-Ward, great receiver Trey Ray, and the best linebacking corp we had played in a long time. We had them beat but they were the better team. The next year, we were the better team but two in-game injuries killed us. They were really good those two years though and the next when they won it again.

Sorry, I meant to say Reidsville 55-49 & Tarboro 56-49 but that is one of the mistakes I make when not thinking what I am doing and typing too fast. lol, Y'all will have to overlook me this year as I may get worse with mistakes. My new computer has spell check but not stupid old-age mistake check. LOL o_O

I should have written down those scores instead of trying to use my memory which is not too good anymore.
best place to look is MaxPreps and the Tarboro game was worst than 56-49 it was 56-28

best place to look is MaxPreps and the Tarboro game was worst than 56-49 it was 56-28
Yes, through the years I have a trove of sights saved to look back on to check for things that come up. That is where I got the scores this morning, but I just listed the scores wrong, and thanks for catching my blunder. I use MaxPrep every week during football season along with radio stations and Twitter, now just called X by Elon Musk

Reactions: BK13T-$
TA Mcclendon was the best high school player I've ever seen, hands down. That's what made that team so special. The only reason Thomasville beat them was TA was out with cramps nearly all the second half.
The 2004 Thomasville team that beat us in the Finals was the best overall 1A team I saw. Good o-line, really good RB in Quan Warley, freshman stud in Abrams-Ward, great receiver Trey Ray, and the best linebacking corp we had played in a long time. We had them beat but they were the better team. The next year, we were the better team but two in-game injuries killed us. They were really good those two years though and the next when they won it again.
Yeah but 2004 was the “Call” that cost us that game. Got a friend that’s got 4 stills on his computer of that play and 3 of them had his knee down with the ball and ref looking at play with hands on knees. Don’t know what he was seeing

True. Mitchell held the ball on east that year. Just pounded it down their throat. We couldn’t stop them, but they couldn’t stop us either. That’s why I figured tarboro with better athletes on the back end would win. But east proved us all wrong and certainly had an all-time great team. If you went all time ever 86 Murphy would be hard to argue with

2019 East Surry is the best 1A team I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot of them. Sort of miss seeing the 1A teams now that I'm working in an area with 3A teams.

There may be teams that were as talented, but very few have ever beaten another state champion at a higher class in the season they won the title. I saw Wallace in '15 and Tarboro in '17, and either of those teams could play with East Surry '19, but I'd still take the Cardinals.
Not so sure. If not for a blown call on an obvious TD pass with a couple of seconds left they would have lost the western championship to Mitchell. High powered offense, lackluster defense. Neither team could stop each other.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT