ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Question

Sportsnut17

Oct 7, 2005
I officiated HS and Juco basketball for 20+ years. I gave up BB about 10 years ago. Since then, I have probably only attended 5 or 6 games until last week. Last week I attended 5 games In 3 days. Now these games were in SC, but am I getting old or has the game changed this much. I have refereed football games that were not as rough as these BB games. Is the norm in HS Basketball now? I could not believe the amount of contact that was in these games. I can’t say it was all officiating, because a different crew did each game.

As I said, just wondering if this is the norm in HS basketball now?

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Basketball in SC is not that great. Head north and watch some games around the Charlotte area. Not as physical but rely too much on athleticsm. Some teams are really good as they combine athletes and IQ (North Meck, Central Cab, Chambers, etc.)

Reactions: therealsquid
Basketball in SC is not that great. Head north and watch some games around the Charlotte area. Not as physical but rely too much on athleticsm. Some teams are really good as they combine athletes and IQ (North Meck, Central Cab, Chambers, etc.)
This was a Christmas tournament in Charleston and teams were from probably 5 or 6 different states. It was very good basketball.

I ask someone not long ago. Does it seem like players run n gun up down the court compared to years ago. I remembered watching my 1st HS basketball game back in the late 70’s and it seems like they move up n down faster down the court now than what they use to. Or have they always move fast like that.

Sadly, it is. The game has become more physical.
I disagree at least in the SMC. When I played (granted that was many moons ago) no one allowed a free face cut. If you wanted to cut across the lane back then, you would be challenged and redirected. At the very least, you were going to earn it. Nowadays, the offense just cuts directly to their intended spot it seems with little to no defensive resistance.

Reactions: 97Cougar
Just depends on Officals - Some allow a lot of contact some don’t - I had a game in AZ that physical and we had a ton of fouls and had 7 Techs as well so

I disagree at least in the SMC. When I played (granted that was many moons ago) no one allowed a free face cut. If you wanted to cut across the lane back then, you would be challenged and redirected. At the very least, you were going to earn it. Nowadays, the offense just cuts directly to their intended spot it seems with little to no defensive resistance.
I agree it used to be more physical off the ball, but then SMC refs also used to call a shooting foul on every blocked shot or if anybody was too close to the shooter, it seemed. I remember games where both teams shot 40+ free throws. I think they are definitely allowing much more contact on the ball now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT