ADVERTISEMENT

Avery @ Mitchell

Mitchell county mountie

Aug 27, 2015
This week gives us the 48th installment of the High Country showdown. The oldest rivalry in the WHC, this one goes way back to the 20's when it was Cranberry High and Harris High. Historically played as the season finale, this heated rivalry has given us snow, wind, rain, blood, broken bones, and broken dreams. Mitchell has had the upper hand the last few years, but Avery has been much better this year. With 1st place seeding on the line, and a cold and snowy forecast for friday night, can the Vikings make a game of it, or will Mitchell defend it's home turf?
Here are some fun and interesting facts behind the Old North Rivals. History is a little fuzzy, and there's no need in getting into the Cranberry/Harris stuff, so we will start in 1975, which is the year that Harris and Bowman consolidated to form Mitchell. Cranberry and Newland Consolidated in 1968 to form Avery.

The 2 played their first game on sept. 5th, 1975. It was Mitchell's first game ever. Neither team could advance the ball on the other, and the coaches conceded a tie at the end of regulation, 0-0. A game that would set the precedence for the next 45 years.
After the initial game, Avery would go on a 5 game win streak, their longest ever, along with 2 other 5 win streaks.
Mitchell got their first win in 1981, at home. 1982 the Mountaineers won their first game in Newland.
The 80's were good to Mitchell, in 1984, the Mountaineers went on a 7 win streak that strected all the way to 1990. In all, Mitchell was 8-2 in the decade, and 8-6-1 overall.
The 90's were a seesaw affair, that saw the teams win back and forth, oddly enough on each other's field.
In 1998, Avery finally broke the chains, and won their first home game against Mitchell since 1980. A span of 18 years!
The home victory sparked the Vikings on a 5 game winning streak.
The 90's belonged to the Vikings, they finished the decade 6-5, with Mitchell clinging on to a 13-12-1 lead overall.
Entering into the new millennium, Avery was riding a win streak, that went until 2002, when Mitchell stole one in Newland. Victory was short lived for Mitchell however, as Avery went on yet another 5 game winning streak.
They closed out the decade winning one apiece, Mitchell in 2008, and Avery in 2009. Avery dominated the 00's, going 8-2, and grabbing the overall lead, 20-14-1.
In 2010, the rivalry came to a pinnacle, with Avery having high hopes of a State Championship, while Mitchell was just trying to finish their season after a devistating accident at the start of the season.
The infamous Snow Bowl. Temps hovering around 20, with a howling wind. Snow started falling right at kickoff, combined with the wind, the length of the game was played in an almost complete white-out blizzard. Fans couldn't see the game, coaches couldn't see the game, the refs couldn't see the game, even the players had no clue what was happening half the time. Mitchell fought hard, but fell to the Vikings, 14-7.
Enter the playoffs. Avery with a #1 seed, steamrolled over Bessemer City and Swain, while Mitchell as a #15 seed got thru Cherryville and West Wilkes to set up the biggest game to date. Avery naturally getting home field, Newland was bitter cold. With temps hovering around 0, and a cruel breeze blowing some 40 or so MPH, comfort was non exsistant. Nonetheless, fans came out in droves to support their teams, and in the surprise of the 1a world, Mitchell completely dominated the Vikings 47-22.
In 2011, the two met twice in the regular season, with Mitchell winning both.
In 2012, they met twice yet again, with Avery returning the favor, winning both.
2014 saw the last competitive game in the series with Mitchell coming out of an ugly, heated, back and forth affair, 28-23.
From 2015 until the present, Mitchell has completely dominated Avery winning by an average score of 52-7. Mitchell has owned the 2010's going 9-3, and tying the series up at 23-23-1.
Mitchell owns the longest win streak of 7, 1984-1990
There have been 25 games won by a touchdown or less
There have been 13 games won by 3 points or less including a 7 game span from 91-97
There have been 4 won by a single point
Mitchell has shut out the Vikings 5 times
Avery has shut the Mountaineers out 3 times
The largest margin of victory for the Mountaineers came in 2017, 56-0
The Vikings largest victory was in 1999, 34-6
The most combined point scored was in 2009, Avery won 42-39
Mitchell has won twice in a season 2 times, 1994 and 2011
Avery has won twice in a season once, in 2012.
Mitchel owns the lone playoff matchup in 2010.

Last edited:
Even being better this year Avery has nothing for Mitchell’s front I’m afraid. Unless the front line forgets how to block Pittman has another’s stellar night but expect Avery to throw the ball 50+ times. Should be a great game well because rivalry games you can throw out everything. But the mountaineers will be just too much. That’s my .2 cents today :)

Mid season I thought this might be a good game. At least a competitive game. If it was at Avery I would guess closer. Maybe 42-21. But it’s not so 49-14 “ish”. Avery has made great strides under their new coach and I look for every year he’s there they’ll get better. I think their middle school team was very good this year.

Reactions: Heritage 84
I didn't realize '82 was our first win in Newland, I was on that team.my senior year.
My oldest brother was co-captain on the first '75 team. I'm know I was there but I forgot it ending that way , I have to ask him what he remembers. Good stuff there Mountie.

This week gives us the 48th installment of the High Country showdown. The oldest rivalry in the WHC, this one goes way back to the 20's when it was Cranberry High and Harris High. Historically played as the season finale, this heated rivalry has given us snow, wind, rain, blood, broken bones, and broken dreams. Mitchell has had the upper hand the last few years, but Avery has been much better this year. With 1st place seeding on the line, and a cold and snowy forecast for friday night, can the Vikings make a game of it, or will Mitchell defend it's home turf?
Here are some fun and interesting facts behind the Old North Rivals. History is a little fuzzy, and there's no need in getting into the Cranberry/Harris stuff, so we will start in 1975, which is the year that Harris and Bowman consolidated to form Mitchell. Cranberry and Newland Consolidated in 1968 to form Avery.

The 2 played their first game on sept. 5th, 1975. It was Mitchell's first game ever. Neither team could advance the ball on the other, and the coaches conceded a tie at the end of regulation, 0-0. A game that would set the precedence for the next 45 years.
After the initial game, Avery would go on a 5 game win streak, their longest ever, along with 2 other 5 win streaks.
Mitchell got their first win in 1981, at home. 1982 the Mountaineers won their first game in Newland.
The 80's were good to Mitchell, in 1984, the Mountaineers went on a 7 win streak that strected all the way to 1990. In all, Mitchell was 8-2 in the decade, and 8-6-1 overall.
The 90's were a seesaw affair, that saw the teams win back and forth, oddly enough on each other's field.
In 1998, Avery finally broke the chains, and won their first home game against Mitchell since 1980. A span of 18 years!
The home victory sparked the Vikings on a 5 game winning streak.
The 90's belonged to the Vikings, they finished the decade 6-5, with Mitchell clinging on to a 13-12-1 lead overall.
Entering into the new millennium, Avery was riding a win streak, that went until 2002, when Mitchell stole one in Newland. Victory was short lived for Mitchell however, as Avery went on yet another 5 game winning streak.
They closed out the decade winning one apiece, Mitchell in 2008, and Avery in 2009. Avery dominated the 00's, going 8-2, and grabbing the overall lead, 20-14-1.
In 2010, the rivalry came to a pinnacle, with Avery having high hopes of a State Championship, while Mitchell was just trying to finish their season after a devistating accident at the start of the season.
The infamous Snow Bowl. Temps hovering around 20, with a howling wind. Snow started falling right at kickoff, combined with the wind, the length of the game was played in an almost complete white-out blizzard. Fans couldn't see the game, coaches couldn't see the game, the refs couldn't see the game, even the players had no clue what was happening half the time. Mitchell fought hard, but fell to the Vikings, 14-7.
Enter the playoffs. Avery with a #1 seed, steamrolled over Bessemer City and Swain, while Mitchell as a #15 seed got thru Cherryville and West Wilkes to set up the biggest game to date. Avery naturally getting home field, Newland was bitter cold. With temps hovering around 0, and a cruel breeze blowing some 40 or so MPH, comfort was non exsistant. Nonetheless, fans came out in droves to support their teams, and in the surprise of the 1a world, Mitchell completely dominated the Vikings 47-22.
In 2011, the two met twice in the regular season, with Mitchell winning both.
In 2012, they met twice yet again, with Avery returning the favor, winning both.
2014 saw the last competitive game in the series with Mitchell coming out of an ugly, heated, back and forth affair, 28-23.
From 2015 until the present, Mitchell has completely dominated Avery winning by an average score of 52-7. Mitchell has owned the 2010's going 9-3, and tying the series up at 23-23-1.
Mitchell owns the longest win streak of 7, 1984-1990
There have been 25 games won by a touchdown or less
There have been 13 games won by 3 points or less including a 7 game span from 91-97
There have been 4 won by a single point
Mitchell has shut out the Vikings 5 times
Avery has shut the Mountaineers out 3 times
The largest margin of victory for the Mountaineers came in 2017, 56-0
The Vikings largest victory was in 1999, 34-6
The most combined point scored was in 2009, Avery won 42-39
Mitchell has won twice in a season 2 times, 1994 and 2011
Avery has won twice in a season once, in 2012.
Mitchel owns the lone playoff matchup in 2010.
WOW who did you copy that from . ;)

Joking, a lot of research and or knowledge there ! Just returning the rough time you have started giving me. I think we are both doing it just for fun. I got a lot of respect for you !

WOW who did you copy that from . ;)

Joking, a lot of research and or knowledge there ! Just returning the rough time you have started giving me. I think we are both doing it just for fun. I got a lot of respect for you !
Seriously dude, I just like busting your balls. It's nothing personal really.

Great history there. I’d say the shenanigans might come back to haunt the vikings

Keep that in mind for the next couple years. With 18 graduating from this team will be interesting to see how the tables turn.

Keep in mind subs played lots of the 3rd and jvs the 4th, how much worse could it have been?

Don't know I was gone getting warm by then. Still think tables are about to turn in this rivalry. My biggest take away from tonight is, how in the world did Heritage beat you guys?
Lol, that’s the takeaway from most teams but the fact is they did. Avery’s just gonna get better. As long as some parent doesn’t decide that a coaching change needs to happen because it benefits their kid. Then he or she goes to the school board and convinces a couple that a change needs to happen. And that’s honestly Avery’s problem over the last 20 yrs. all it takes is one unhappy parent and the spineless bow!

Reactions: Mhsneer and Heels10
Lol, that’s the takeaway from most teams but the fact is they did. Avery’s just gonna get better. As long as some parent doesn’t decide that a coaching change needs to happen because it benefits their kid. Then he or she goes to the school board and convinces a couple that a change needs to happen. And that’s honestly Avery’s problem over the last 20 yrs. all it takes is one unhappy parent and the spineless bow!

truer words never spoken

Whchoops and mhsneer can you name when that has happened? I have been around the program for the last twelve years and it hasn't happened that I know of. Most people on Avery know how good Coach is. It takes time to turn around a program. You can just as my friend and ex-classmate Joey.

You my friend are 100% right! The football program at Avery got ran into the ground and it will take some time to get it built back. Parents and buddy buddies have no place in any high school sport. It's supposed to be a time where teenagers learn how to be young adults without Mommy and Daddy there to make sure little Billy gets his "deserved" playing time.

Whchoops and mhsneer can you name when that has happened? I have been around the program for the last twelve years and it hasn't happened that I know of. Most people on Avery know how good Coach is. It takes time to turn around a program. You can just as my friend and ex-classmate Joey.
That’s easy. Flippen( brewers mom, Hoilmans grandfather, and the hire was Babe Howell who was dating a county commissioner). Condrey who probably still has the best record at Avery ( Johnson’s dad, and the hire was Smith who stuck around for a season). And we both know the hiring of the last coach was because the AD bowed to the wishes of Burleson who ignored the committee’s thoughts on a coach. I think Avery finally has a good coach and will get better as long as parents keep their noses out of it. Just my opinion.

You my friend are 100% right! The football program at Avery got ran into the ground and it will take some time to get it built back. Parents and buddy buddies have no place in any high school sport. It's supposed to be a time where teenagers learn how to be young adults without Mommy and Daddy there to make sure little Billy gets his "deserved" playing time.
It definitely got ran into the ground. From youth league up. The last 3 yrs Avery teams were competitive with the rest of the conference in youth leagues. Semi in middle school. Blown out in high school. There’s a reason. Coaching, lack of interest, kids not playing. A good head coach which, which I think you have, will drop back to,the youth level, figure it out, and correct it.

And just a side note, most people don’t know a good coach when they see one . Joey got lucky he was given the time, as a result heritage got lucky to have him. But that rarely happens. And honestly, this “ one middle school team” in Mitchell and Avery will just put them even further behind Yancey. Sure they might be more competitive at the middle school level but Yancey will keep their edge at the high school level as long as they clinch to the two middle school teams.

And just a side note, most people don’t know a good coach when they see one . Joey got lucky he was given the time, as a result heritage got lucky to have him. But that rarely happens. And honestly, this “ one middle school team” in Mitchell and Avery will just put them even further behind Yancey. Sure they might be more competitive at the middle school level but Yancey will keep their edge at the high school level as long as they clinch to the two middle school teams.
Very insightful, thank you for the update. I didn't know about the first two for sure. I agree with you about the one team compared to two. I hear is was because of numbers but if you have the numbers for two you should have two. Gets more game time for more kids and you don't loose kids as early.

That’s easy. Flippen( brewers mom, Hoilmans grandfather, and the hire was Babe Howell who was dating a county commissioner). Condrey who probably still has the best record at Avery ( Johnson’s dad, and the hire was Smith who stuck around for a season). And we both know the hiring of the last coach was because the AD bowed to the wishes of Burleson who ignored the committee’s thoughts on a coach. I think Avery finally has a good coach and will get better as long as parents keep their noses out of it. Just my opinion.

Avery politics is notoriously involved with coaching. Some parents in Avery bully and buy their way to mediocrity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT