ADVERTISEMENT

Attention Reidsville, Mt. Airy and Pisgah fans from 1969 and 1970

what stands out to me is how much bigger players today are....didn't say better or tougher....of course I'm old school myself.......................lol.......

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
what stands out to me is how much bigger players today are....didn't say better or tougher....of course I'm old school myself.......................lol.......

Definitely the size is the biggest difference, then the blocking back in the day, below the knees, was much more prevalent. Lighting of the fields, back in the day, left a lot to be desired as well. I noticed too that the referees were in short sleeve shirts for the Pisgah game. It had to be warm that evening though it was late in the season.

on the contrary I was there...the temps were the 30's...as a matter of fact...the day before, Thanksgiving day of 1970 was the coldest morning low for month of November for Reidsville all time......it was 10 degrees...slightly warmer the next day but it was still cold....guess the refs were just som,e tough guys....lol....

Going to the Brevard game, we had been told that parts of I-40 was completed but not yet opened to the public. We decided to take a chance and were cruising along about 85 or 90 mph when suddenly the blue lights were behind us.

I thought for sure we were going to be arrested and miss the game but for some reason the highway patrolman zipped past us traveling 100 mph or more. Maybe he was going to the game and didn't want to take time for us!! The name of our driver shall always be unknown to others.:cool::cool::cool::cool:

I also remember Eagle Moss running a reverse down near the Rams goal line that John King (?) stopped. He had been knocked down but stood up in time to make the tackle. He was the only player that could have kept Moss from getting into the end zone.

Actually Mike Apple, one of our defensive ends, and I were talking about that very play just two Saturday's ago at breakfast at the Sanitary.

What does the film show?

I don't know about the helments .As for the ND Box.Joe Compton brought it from Fitzgerald Georgia where he had won a state championship He had a kicker on that Georgia team named Ray Guy who had a pretty good pro career..He ran it in 71-72 .Winning Western district in 71 with an undefeated season.He left Pisgah after 72 season with a record of 35-3.Perry Pearson took over in 73 and only lasted two years.Then Danny Shook who was an assistant under Compton then Pearson won state championship in 75 and 76 running the box.
Scott Connars another Compton assistans went to Reynolds and ran the box .took Reynolds to the finals where they lost to Ricmond county.Another assistant went to Franklin and won the only state championship they have ever won .
I think Pearson won a state championship at East Forsyth

I scouted Pisgah in 1968 for Mt Airy! I remember a chain crew guy going after a the Tuscola Coach on the sideline with the chain. I also was scouting for Mt Airy when Pisgah’s Coach Boyd had a heart attack during the game and died. Also remember fans putting a you haul trailer in Coach Perry Pearson’s driveway after a bad start at Pisgah one season.

I believe Reidsville changed offenses and went to the power I in the playoffs!
NO. Reidsville went to the Power I beginning with the Graham game early in the regular season. About the fourth game or so during the 1969 season.

Edited to note it was the sixth game. Coach Morris put Sammy Jones at QB and Jimmy Amos at RB. Rams won 40-0. They were 3-2 going into that game with one of the losses to Mt Airy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ooooner
I did the color for WFRC (no longer around) radio station in Reidsville...Pisgah had some big strong boys....1st time and think last time I saw the Notre Dame Box in person......have seen and played against traditional single wing but not the box....a true power formation...…..any idea why Pisgah players helmets didn't all match?? some wore red...some white....didn't make any difference as far as quality of the team.....just kinda unusual...…...Did Pisgah use that ND box formation any in later years??
I enjoyed the heck out of those videos!

Can’t help but chuckle…. Bessemer City was still running the Notre Dame box in the ‘80’s…they gave Maiden fits trying to stop it!😉

Good stuff!

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
RJ Reynolds ran that offense in the late seventies with Kenny Ducket if I remember correctly.

OK ... Finally the Reidsville-Mount Airy game ... Please let me know if this works. I had to go back and trim the portion at the end of the video that showed the game statistics and Reidsville's final season statistics since that part had copyrighted music accompaniment.
Enjoy (hopefully).

FEEDBACK APPRECIATED.
I enjoyed the game and Wes did an excellent job with the voice over.

The videos of the Western 3-A finals are online for your viewing memories.

A little history: the old reel-to-reel tapes of the games were converted to VHS about 15 years ago. I was on what they now call injured reserve for my senior season (1969) but coach Morris asked me to keep the stats for the team.

I still had my play-by-play notes and stats all those years later so I got together with the producer (Ram fan and tech expert Tim Bates) and former radio guy Wes Overby (aka RamBBQ). Wes used my script to narrate the video.

Mt. Airy and Pisgah fans: Obviously the video has a Reidsville slant with the call of the tackles, etc. But I think you'll enjoy watching it anyway.

NOTE: Scroll down to see the Mount Airy game. I posted on 1-3-20.
I'd rather hear A W Nelson

Reactions: rambbq
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT