ADVERTISEMENT

Asheboro at Providence Grove

First thing's first......I have to mention Caleb Rogers. He had an awesome game for PG. In the second half alone, Rogers had an interception, a nice catch/run for a TD, and another TD run off a scooped-up fumble.

Early on, it looked like PG was going to run Asheboro right out of Randolph County. Zane Cheek took a handoff, busted up the middle, then shifted left and shot down the left sideline for the first TD. A few minutes later, Luke Thomas hit Lemuel Coltrane for a short TD. It was 14-0 PG first quarter.

After Quamelo Butler's interception in PG territory, PG's offense started to slow down. Asheboro got the momentum and was able to capitalize with a TD. At the half it was 14-6.

The Blue Comets got the ball to start the second half and they put together a great, long drive. However, they ended up shooting themselves in the foot. On one fourth down, they spent two timeouts trying to get the play off. The Comets did convert and eventually marched down to inside the PG five. The Patriot defense held and forced a fourth down. Asheboro went for it and that's when Rogers picked it off in the end zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maiden Creek
Continued.....

PG marched down the field and capitalized with Thomas hitting Rogers over the middle for the TD. 21-6 at this point.

Early on in the fourth, the Comets marched down the field and into the red zone. Once again, however, they started getting the "drops". The biggest killer was a dropped pass in the end zone on fourth down.

Shortly after, A'town did recover a fumble and looked to have new life. However, on the very next offensive play, the snap went right over the QB's head and Rogers jumped right on it. That play put the nail in the coffin for Asheboro.

It was a good win for PG. However, I still need another look. PG's defense was great in the first half. In spite of that, though, I felt Asheboro beat themselves in the second half more than anything.

The Ledford Panthers come to town next week. That should be a good one.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT