ADVERTISEMENT

Article on SC HS Football Coaches' Salaries

That being said, NC has quite a bit more talent reach the NFL level compared to SC, last I looked the number was around 100 more ball players.

Hoke Co coach makes over 110. Dont understand why but he does. Dont know how they justify that when there how they are every year.

That's why everyone is trying to get down there. Even the lowest paid HC's make more then most here.

Where is the money coming from? NC is a much more prosperous state than SC. Can a tax raise or reallocation of funds be justified when teachers are still complaining about pay as well?

Love when I see these articles. Shocking...lol. They value football over lots of other stuff and are competing with each other for top notch coaching talent. They bleed NC because they have chosen not to compete.

With the exception of some border games NC schools don't compete with SC schools for really anything, so why would they try and match $$.

A principal at a small (2A at the time) SC powerhouse was asked in a private conversation basically how SC does it. The reply, "we do not things like education and educators get in the way." He went on to say that a Friday night there is football and the majority of the citizens come out to the game or listen on the radio. It is a economic and social force.

Knotts is listed as the AD but he has a full time secretary and an assistant AD that is in the athletic offices most of the day. The secretary takes care of all the paperwork. He is basically the director of the football program.

That's funny.. hire me as the AD, but also hire two people to do the job for me, and then let me do what I actually want, coach football.

So SC picked football and money over education, interesting. Never was the smartest state in the country...

And SC often ranks toward the bottom in education.

There is an issue when a state allows a football coach to be paid $100,000 and a Kindergarten teacher $37,000.

Coaches and teachers both deserve more though.

Last edited:
I think one of the things that people need to remember is that SC is made up of lots of rural, one HS towns where HS football is far more than just a sport it's an identity. Even places like Rock Hill which is essentially a Charlotte suburb base alot of who they are on their local HS football teams. Thus the HC in those towns may in fact be the most important/valuable asset to that community. Raleigh, Charlotte, even the Triad that is simply not the case. Just doesn't have the significance on scale that it does there.

That said, I've watched the top tier programs in each state for the past 10 years. I don't see a significant difference in the caliber of play so exactly what are you paying for?? I also don't see coaching jobs staying open long in NC so it would seem supply is at least equal to demand. Hough- Creek game last night had to have 20+ people in coach attire on the sidelines.....as long as that's the case wages will stay stagnant.

Reactions: btango
Where is the money coming from? NC is a much more prosperous state than SC. Can a tax raise or reallocation of funds be justified when teachers are still complaining about pay as well?
NC doesn't put as much money into athletics as other states...we are behind the curve on this one

NC doesn't put as much money into athletics as other states...we are behind the curve on this one
That didn’t answer my question. Where is the money going to come from? Are NC taxpayers willing to foot the bill for higher coaching pay and other athletic amenities?

A principal at a small (2A at the time) SC powerhouse was asked in a private conversation basically how SC does it. The reply, "we do not things like education and educators get in the way." He went on to say that a Friday night there is football and the majority of the citizens come out to the game or listen on the radio. It is a economic and social force.
Sounds similar to the state of Texas.

Public education is doomed - regardless of the politics that dominate the drive behind it. It has become an unsustainable entity and will only get worse during the dwindling years of its death spiral. What is concerning, interesting, troubling, or whatever (depending upon one’s opinion/perception and/or focal beliefs), is what will become of scholastic-level athletics? Will USA and/or AAU be able to step up (in?) and provide the affiliation and oversight necessary for some semblance of competition to survive - if not thrive - in the wake of the “educational entities” pending abandonment? Will either (or any other) organization be able to do so via implementation of consistency and maintenance of integrity? Hate to be (sound) cynical, but … it is coming.

Public education is doomed - regardless of the politics that dominate the drive behind it. It has become an unsustainable entity and will only get worse during the dwindling years of its death spiral. What is concerning, interesting, troubling, or whatever (depending upon one’s opinion/perception and/or focal beliefs), is what will become of scholastic-level athletics? Will USA and/or AAU be able to step up (in?) and provide the affiliation and oversight necessary for some semblance of competition to survive - if not thrive - in the wake of the “educational entities” pending abandonment? Will either (or any other) organization be able to do so via implementation of consistency and maintenance of integrity? Hate to be (sound) cynical, but … it is coming.
It's only doomed if the voters allow it to be doomed. I'll leave it at that.

Guys they pay teachers more in SC than NC. NC is just cheap and I have to say does not care about Public education or Sports
What do they care about then? It doesn't seem like the music or arts scene either..

They care about making all public education for profit. They believe that anybody making money from it will always do it better.
if that happens it will backfire in so many ways all over the place. unfortunately there aren't enough genuinely good people in our society, and there will be greed for money and profit if allowed to go unchecked under the guise of greater opportunity. think about it, educators are already very underpaid, and then if you put them in a situation where there is a possibility to siphon more money, its not going to end well.

if that happens it will backfire in so many ways all over the place. unfortunately there aren't enough genuinely good people in our society, and there will be greed for money and profit if allowed to go unchecked under the guise of greater opportunity. think about it, educators are already very underpaid, and then if you put them in a situation where there is a possibility to siphon more money, its not going to end well.
If our legislature has its way, for profit charters are the future of public education in North Carolina.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT