ADVERTISEMENT

Are we all playing for Runner up?

GSODbears

Oct 7, 2019
Mount Airy
Does any of the 4 remaining teams in the West have anything for the Vikings? They will obviously make their 150th straight appearance in the State Championship game. Much respect to Coach Craddock and the program he has built but would ER, MA, Draughn or Andrews have anything for these guys ? They don't have many down years that I've seen.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Does any of the 4 remaining teams in the West have anything for the Vikings? They will obviously make their 150th straight appearance in the State Championship game. Much respect to Coach Craddock and the program he has built but would ER, MA, Draughn or Andrews have anything for these guys ? They don't have many down years that I've seen.
Andrews is just looking at Draughn

We all are playing for 2nd. Until we are not.

And I agree with Wildcat10 that we need to be playing our next game, not the 2 in front of that.
And honestly, when I read what is said about the Andrews and Draughn as well as what is not said about ER, I just hope the Bears can complete and not be embarrassed. I know that the Granite Bears will show up but these other three are just on another plain.

We all are playing for 2nd. Until we are not.

And I agree with Wildcat10 that we need to be playing our next game, not the 2 in front of that.
And honestly, when I read what is said about the Andrews and Draughn as well as what is not said about ER, I just hope the Bears can complete and not be embarrassed. I know that the Granite Bears will show up but these other three are just on another plain.
Not saying to look ahead. Just that I was wondering out of the 4 left, who might match up with the Vikes the best? East Surry in 2019 threw the ball to beat them. Draughn maybe the only team left that throws much. Just dont know much about ER or Andrews

No. Tarboro could lose to every team left.
Why do you say that? Im not posting this for BS talk like alot of these do. Im dead serious about it. I love my Bears and will cheer for them all the way but I am a HS football fan too and know what any team from the West will have to face. Watch them every year in the Championship game

That East Surry team had 5 legit, signed D1 players. Not parents and fans spouting that they were D1, they actually signed. That team could pass, run, kick and defend. And were coached by a truly great Coaching Staff. They were not on another plain, they were at a different universe.

None of the 4 west teams are on that level except Andrews, Draughn and Eastern Randolph. Seriously.

Why do you say that? Im not posting this for BS talk like alot of these do. Im dead serious about it. I love my Bears and will cheer for them all the way but I am a HS football fan too and know what any team from the West will have to face. Watch them every year in the Championship game
Because I’ve watched about every Tarboro game and I’ve watched all film available online of every other team.

By no means am I a football guru but Tarboro is not bulletproof

Don’t get me wrong, if Tarboro is clicking on all cylinders they will be hard to beat - but I’m just saying it’s not a given that Tarboro is going to win it all.

Because I’ve watched about every Tarboro game and I’ve watched all film available online of every other team.

By no means am I a football guru but Tarboro is not bulletproof

Don’t get me wrong, if Tarboro is clicking on all cylinders they will be hard to beat - but I’m just saying it’s not a given that Tarboro is going to win it all.
Respect your opinion. Seems like ER, MA and Andrews offensive style that I know about plays right into what the Vikes always do best and that is stop the run game.

Last edited:
You are being way to humble. I admire that. And one time, many many years ago, I drove from Mt Airy to Tarboro just to see them play on a Friday night. They did not disappoint, I believe Russell Stone was the coach then.

You are being way to humble. I admire that. And one time, many many years ago, I drove from Mt Airy to Tarboro just to see them play on a Friday night. They did not disappoint, I believe Russell Stone was the coach then.
I could Be wrong, but don’t ever remember Russell Stone being at Tarboro.

No. Tarboro could lose to every team left.
Agree 100 percent. We are very talented but we are very young in key positions.
Again, the coaches did what I feel was their best job last year and I think they are doing a tremendous job again this year, bc the last two teams haven’t been as talented overall and as deep as the four teams before them. I think we can win, and our coaches have set the expectations high and the players expect championships, but it’s no guarantee. In 17 and 18 we could have bad games and still win by 20, not sure that’s the case with this team.

Respect your opinion. Seems like ER, MA and Andrews offensive style that I know about plays right into what the Vikes always do best and that is stop the run game.
Having a simpler offensive scheme the Vikings spend much more practice time on defending opponents offense

I've said on another thread is (A) that as a whole I believe that in 1A the West is stronger than the East that if the playoffs somehow involved east and west playing each other though the whole playoffs from first round on I think the championship would still come down to a west team and Tarboro. And (B) but the East only needs one and that's Tarboro and that the West just plays for second place
But part (A) is just an opinion without anyway to prove so we know what that's worth lol and in opinion (B) who knows but this years West champ will have to opportunity prove at least part wrong.
I guess there's a part (C) opinion that no one in the East will beat Tarboro but that one will also be proven or not.

Draughn matches up best with tarboro but we won't get to see that match up.
Out of the west I have MA favored then Andrews then Draughn the ER. The Andrews game could be close.

I've often wonder if Tarboro had to play MA, Andrews, Draughn, Thomasville, Robbinsville to make it to state it could of cost them a title here or there. Could easily have a few injuries running that gauntlet.

All this will be changed in a couple more season. I hate it for Andrews though play in a combined 1a. All the small a teams are gone in the west.

Out of the west I have MA favored then Andrews then Draughn the ER. The Andrews game could be close.

I've often wonder if Tarboro had to play MA, Andrews, Draughn, Thomasville, Robbinsville to make it to state it could of cost them a title here or there. Could easily have a few injuries running that gauntlet.

All this will be changed in a couple more season. I hate it for Andrews though play in a combined 1a. All the small a teams are gone in the west.
Why will they be gone?

Thank you for being consistent there BK. ER last in your Final Four in the west. Then you completely leave them out of wonder if Tarboro had to play list…
Appreciate the love sir…

Thank you for being consistent there BK. ER last in your Final Four in the west. Then you completely leave them out of wonder if Tarboro had to play list…
Appreciate the love sir…
Still no respect for your team. He has been carrying one around for 15 years against MA. At least he will talk about you now and you will hear all the reasons why they were better.

2009 MA game was nothing like to this ER game. Those was two evenly matched teams in 2009.
You know exactly why I bring up the 2009 game.

Still no respect for your team. He has been carrying one around for 15 years against MA. At least he will talk about you now and you will hear all the reasons why they were better.
A couple been working on that last part already. I’ve never understood that rationale and never used it. But apparently I’m a da…
Hopefully it’s short for daddy which I’m very proud to be. 😂

I have said before that as a Tarboro fan, I very much envy the parity and competition in the West. I remember that incredible East Surry side that demolished Tarboro in 2019 was just a hair's breadth away from losing the week before to a very determined Mitchell team. Every single game is about matchups. While the supposed blueprint to defeat Tarboro comes back to a passing game, the Vikings have had matchup issues the last couple of seasons with certain teams. Teams with a mobile QB have given the Viking defense problems. Teams with a solid run defense give themselves a chance late. There are certain things any team can do to stay close with Tarboro. Ball security is one. Solid special teams play is another. I have often thought the Vikings Achilles' Heel could well be keeping the game close into the 4th quarter. Don't be afraid to use as much of the play clock as you can.

There's a quote from the movie "Catch Me If You Can" that I refer to often. "You know why the Yankees always win? It's because the other teams can't stop staring at those damn pinstripes." In many ways, Tarboro wins before the opponent steps off the bus. If you show up with this kind of attitude, hoping you get lucky but expecting to finish second, you probably will. You have to show up against Tarboro expecting to have a chance to win on the last play of the game. You will end up your ass often, but you have to give as much as you get for 48 minutes and longer if necessary. Sometimes it's got less to do with schemes and more about desire. As Tyson once said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

It might be. I went by what a School Board Member had posted because I figured he knew. Wow Draughn has 631. But you can only put 11 on the field
Well the school board person I would say has the right numbers plus I saw 210 as well I was just curious what the boy/girl breakdown was and only one site had it because we talk school adm but you still have to figure usually around half will be boys. True about only 11 on the field but say if Andrews has 210 and 105 are boys Mitchell last ADM 489 if half are boys that's 140 more potential players than Andrews so some 1A schools will have around 200 more.

It might be. I went by what a School Board Member had posted because I figured he knew. Wow Draughn has 631. But you can only put 11 on the field
Yes you can only put 11 on the field at a time, but numbers definitely matter. Your ADM impacts the pool from which you draw those best 11 players. It’s why 3A and 4A schools are more competitive than most 1A and 2A schools…it’s why people get up in arms about open enrollment schools, charters/parochial schools drawing from wider geographic areas, etc. That also makes Andrews’ season even more impressive, drawing from such a small group!

It took East Surry's running game and a great passing game to beat Tarboro in 2019. Without that passing game, ES would have lost.
As good as that East Surry passing game was, Tarboro lost four fumbles in that game, two on kickoff returns. I'll say it again...Ball security and special teams were critical factors in that game and can't be overlooked.

As good as that East Surry passing game was, Tarboro lost four fumbles in that game, two on kickoff returns. I'll say it again...Ball security and special teams were critical factors in that game and can't be overlooked.
And Tarboro's inability to get pressure on Boaz. In 2018 our d line had Boaz running practically Everytime he threw the ball. In 2019 we couldn't get any pressure on him.

• Sad
Reactions: HowerinJr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT