ADVERTISEMENT

And so the mass exodus to 3A begins...

Diamonds are forever

Sep 1, 2011
I echo the sentiments of the Dudley and Catholic supporters below in biding adieu to 4A.

New Hanover, with 2 4A East Regional appearances since 2009, joins the likes of Dudley (2 4A State Championships, 2 3AA State Championships, 2 3AA Runner-Ups, 2 4A East Regionals since 2002); Rose (4 4A State Championships, 1 4A Runner-Up and 1 4A East Regional since 2003); Hillside (1 4A State Championship, 1 4A East Regional since 2008); A.C. Reynolds (3 4A State Championships since 1999); Catholic (1 4A State Championship, 1 4A Runner-Up, 2 4A West Regionals, 1 3AA State Championship, 3 3AA Runner-Ups, 2 3AA West Regionals since 2004); Byrd (2 4A Runner-ups and 1 East Regional since 1999); Cape Fear (1 4A Runner-Up); Northside (1 2AA Runner-Up, 1 2AA East Regional, 3 2A East Regionals since 2005); Harnett Central (1 4A Runner-Up since 2009); EE Smith (2 4A East Regionals since 2002); Northern Durham (1 4A East Regional since 2003); Conley (37 wins in the last 4 years); West Johnston (25 wins in last 3 years); Cardinal Gibbons (5 11+ win seasons since 2009) in moving to 3A.

That is:
  • 11 of the last 17 4A State Championships are headed to 3A.

• 6 of the last 17 4A State Runner-Ups are headed to 3A.

• 13 Regional teams since 2009 are headed to 3A.
I am sure I have left some teams off the list and probably made an error or two on my “rough draft” above, but the point is established. It would not be difficult to make the argument that the 2017 3AA playoffs will have the best teams top to bottom of any bracket in the state. I can't imagine a more competitive bracket than the 2017 3AA East should be.

To any existing 3A/3AA teams, be assured that this post is neither intended to disrespect your programs nor presume any of the teams listed above will have an easy road moving to 3A. I realize there are plenty of great programs licking their chops to get a shot at the 4A schools moving to 3A.

Reactions: RaidersRocks
I echo the sentiments of the Dudley and Catholic supporters below in biding adieu to 4A.

New Hanover, with 2 4A East Regional appearances since 2009, joins the likes of Dudley (2 4A State Championships, 2 3AA State Championships, 2 3AA Runner-Ups, 2 4A East Regionals since 2002); Rose (4 4A State Championships, 1 4A Runner-Up and 1 4A East Regional since 2003); Hillside (1 4A State Championship, 1 4A East Regional since 2008); A.C. Reynolds (3 4A State Championships since 1999); Catholic (1 4A State Championship, 1 4A Runner-Up, 2 4A West Regionals, 1 3AA State Championship, 3 3AA Runner-Ups, 2 3AA West Regionals since 2004); Byrd (2 4A Runner-ups and 1 East Regional since 1999); Cape Fear (1 4A Runner-Up); Northside (1 2AA Runner-Up, 1 2AA East Regional, 3 2A East Regionals since 2005); Harnett Central (1 4A Runner-Up since 2009); EE Smith (2 4A East Regionals since 2002); Northern Durham (1 4A East Regional since 2003); Conley (37 wins in the last 4 years); West Johnston (25 wins in last 3 years); Cardinal Gibbons (5 11+ win seasons since 2009) in moving to 3A.

That is:
  • 11 of the last 17 4A State Championships are headed to 3A.

• 6 of the last 17 4A State Runner-Ups are headed to 3A.

• 13 Regional teams since 2009 are headed to 3A.
I am sure I have left some teams off the list and probably made an error or two on my “rough draft” above, but the point is established. It would not be difficult to make the argument that the 2017 3AA playoffs will have the best teams top to bottom of any bracket in the state. I can't imagine a more competitive bracket than the 2017 3AA East should be.

To any existing 3A/3AA teams, be assured that this post is neither intended to disrespect your programs nor presume any of the teams listed above will have an easy road moving to 3A. I realize there are plenty of great programs licking their chops to get a shot at the 4A schools moving to 3A.

I agree with you here. No disrespect is intended here either, but I have wondered how all of those 3A programs will feel and what they're thinking with all those 4A programs moving down.

I agree with you here. No disrespect is intended here either, but I have wondered how all of those 3A programs will feel and what they're thinking with all those 4A programs moving down.
Yeah especially Weddington which is the team that won 3AA State Championship. No disrespect to them.

The Crest Crew would probably love it!!!!!!

North Davidson all the way down to 2a. I am by no means going to predict a state title, especially considering how our defense performed this year, but we should win the CCC and be a tough out in the playoffs. Shelby will still be stacked, and Reidsville is always great, along woth Lincolnton. Here's hoping the defense improves and the next qb replacing Butts is able to get it done.

North Davidson all the way down to 2a. I am by no means going to predict a state title, especially considering how our defense performed this year, but we should win the CCC and be a tough out in the playoffs. Shelby will still be stacked, and Reidsville is always great, along woth Lincolnton. Here's hoping the defense improves and the next qb replacing Butts is able to get it done.
Don't forget Belmont South Point moved down to 2A and they won 3A state championship.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
So, with ALL those teams moving down does that mean Scotland has a clear path?
No. Scotland county is what it always was, losers. The only difference in now and then is they are beating Richmond which every one is doing now. They never could win a 4AA title so they dropped them to 4A where they did win one title but the only decent coach they ever had retired. Since then they are perrinnial runner ups. So to help them out again they drop all the competition in the to the 3AA bracket. If they can't win now they never will. But then again they will still have the same leader.

No. Scotland county is what it always was, losers. The only difference in now and then is they are beating Richmond which every one is doing now. They never could win a 4AA title so they dropped them to 4A where they did win one title but the only decent coach they ever had retired. Since then they are perrinnial runner ups. So to help them out again they drop all the competition in the to the 3AA bracket. If they can't win now they never will. But then again they will still have the same leader.
Scotland County will be Scotland County Dude. If you want to talk football we can, but the other sh!t we don't need. There is alot of great football players in Scotland County and I don't think you could get on the field in SC. You can keep that other bullspit to yourself Dude. Have a Merry Xmas and a Scots New Year.

Technically those "4a" schools are not really 4a if their moving down,they just got stuck in 4a for 4 years...should realign every 2 years
Actually changes the number of schools in classes. Instead of current division 25-25-25-25, next year will be 20-30-30-20. That moves some of the smaller 4A down.

This is nothing new if you are an old timer like me. I can remember when all the Goldsboro, Wilson, Rocky Mount etc schools were 4A. Seems to be a trend in eastern North Carolina particularly.

This is nothing new if you are an old timer like me. I can remember when all the Goldsboro, Wilson, Rocky Mount etc schools were 4A. Seems to be a trend in eastern North Carolina particularly.

Well you're not alone....I remember those days as well. Heck, I can remember when Robeson County had 13 high schools

In 1980, my first year at New Hanover, we were in a nine team 4A conference. New Hanover, Hoggard, Laney, Jacksonville, Eastern Wayne, Southern Wayne, Goldsboro, New Bern, and Kinston. Since then, at least one of these teams, Goldsboro, had fallen to 1A at one point.

I would guess that there aren't nine 4A teams east of I-95. We have very few 4AA teams in eastern NC.

I am told New Hanover planned to appeal the 3A classification only to be told by NCHSAA not to waste the time - it would be rejected.

Reactions: portcity FB
In 1980, my first year at New Hanover, we were in a nine team 4A conference. New Hanover, Hoggard, Laney, Jacksonville, Eastern Wayne, Southern Wayne, Goldsboro, New Bern, and Kinston. Since then, at least one of these teams, Goldsboro, had fallen to 1A at one point.

I would guess that there aren't nine 4A teams east of I-95. We have very few 4AA teams in eastern NC.

I am told New Hanover planned to appeal the 3A classification only to be told by NCHSAA not to waste the time - it would be rejected.
If they were LeeCo. the NCHSAA would listen , they bucked the SEC and got out . All I can say keep appealing it,soon or later they will hear you.

I think that the NCHSAA is doing all the moving to keep the 8 team championship , so they want have to add a new classifacation like 5 A cause some schools have over 3,000 students.

It's mind boggling. But it's demographics and has alot to due with the decline in tobacco sales from eastern NC. And also people down on public education right or wrong many more private schools these days compared to 70 and 80s.

I'm a Fayetteville guy and at least four of our teams are currently 3A. And I believe Jack Britt is the only 4AA team come playoffs. The rest are 4A. Hard to believe.

I think the private schools do play a role but many counties are building new schools that take enrollment from traditional 4A schools. In Wake and Meck counties the new schools come in as 4A but down east you get a 3A and a 2A - like what happened to Jacksonville when Northside opened. Eventually, maybe many of the 3A's may climb back to 4A.

I agree to an extent but like I said and you have mentioned you had places in the past like Goldsboro, Wilson Where All THE Schools Were 4A at one time. Not just one county high schools that opened up a second high school to drop both schools to 3A. The amount of schools dropping down far exceeds those moving up in eastern nc. Raleigh is the exception. I can remember when for instance Apex and Wake Forest Roseville were lower class. Raleigh is the only area possibly with the exception of a Harnett county school here or there where I can remember any school in eastern NC moving up while you are likely to count close to 30 or more teams moving down and in some cases even multiple classifications. Hell it was in up to the late 80s I can even remember Elizabeth City Northeastern in 4 A.

The X factor and variable that I can't equate is that when I was in High School we were only grades 10 to 12 there were no ninth graders then. Don't know how that equates but essentially you had a lot of schools that were built in the 60 and 70s that now have 9th graders. But that would bring the numbers up. Weird none the less that so many teams have dropped down.

OHHH, Those were the days!!!! Pine Forest, Reid Ross, Terry Sanford, Wadesboro Bowman(Anson County) Lee County. Even Dillon was 4a back then. I know I miss some other good teams back then, but back then the conference game meant more. Because if you lost in conference during the 1 or 2 team cycle for the playoffs you were done for the season at 9-1.

Last edited:
And it's just not 4A to 3A. It's 3A to 2 a and so on. But so many 4A teams in particular have moved down since 1981 when I graduated.

Yeah Scots those were the days. I bring this up here every few years but I still to this day say I have never seen any high school teams as physically imposing and absolutely huge across the board as those Pine Forest teams from 76 to 80 were. Just physical giants across the board at all positions.

And I didn't go to Pine Forest nor am I a Pine Forest homer. Bur those guys just had tremendous tremendous size at every position.

Can remember in detail when Scotland came to Pine Forest in a cold night in 78 and beat a huge huge imposing Pine Forest team in second round of state playoffs. I was at the game and Scotland got my respect that night. Scotland went on to lose to Richmond. I saw same stacked huge Pine Forest just physically man handle and bully Richmond in the previous year 77 playoffs. They were physical monsters

Can remember in detail when Scotland came to Pine Forest in a cold night in 78 and beat a huge huge imposing Pine Forest team in second round of state playoffs. I was at the game and Scotland got my respect that night. Scotland went on to lose to Richmond. I saw same stacked huge Pine Forest just physically man handle and bully Richmond in the previous year 77 playoffs. They were physical monsters
No Middle, we got "Railroaded" against Richmond. Pine Forest looked like a college team back then.

Jeff mc all hurt his ankle that year 78 in the last regular season game against Reid Ross and Pine Forest lost that game. He was not near 100 percent in the play off loss to Scotland.

I agree to an extent but like I said and you have mentioned you had places in the past like Goldsboro, Wilson Where All THE Schools Were 4A at one time. Not just one county high schools that opened up a second high school to drop both schools to 3A. The amount of schools dropping down far exceeds those moving up in eastern nc. Raleigh is the exception. I can remember when for instance Apex and Wake Forest Roseville were lower class. Raleigh is the only area possibly with the exception of a Harnett county school here or there where I can remember any school in eastern NC moving up while you are likely to count close to 30 or more teams moving down and in some cases even multiple classifications. Hell it was in up to the late 80s I can even remember Elizabeth City Northeastern in 4 A.

Along with many others: R.MT, N.Nash,Fike, Kinston, and Hunt

The X factor and variable that I can't equate is that when I was in High School we were only grades 10 to 12 there were no ninth graders then. Don't know how that equates but essentially you had a lot of schools that were built in the 60 and 70s that now have 9th graders. But that would bring the numbers up. Weird none the less that so many teams have dropped down.

Richmond County had junior highs through 2007, and the 9th grade numbers counted toward Richmond's ADMs. They have a 9th grade academy now, and they count towards ADM. Not sure if that was the case back during those times, but I just thought that I should point that out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT