ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball Enrollment Increase

Skools

Jul 10, 2009
According to what I am hearing the National Baseball Executive Committee is going to vote on an enrollment increase to 7,500 sometime in November. I hear it is most likely going to pass. We are currently ast 6,000 enrollment. I am not a big fan as I think that could cause a lot of smaller teams merge together which leaves kids without places to play. Also it wil

According to what I am hearing the National Baseball Executive Committee is going to vote on an enrollment increase to 7,500 sometime in November. I hear it is most likely going to pass. We are currently ast 6,000 enrollment. I am not a big fan as I think that could cause a lot of smaller teams merge together which leaves kids without places to play. Also it wil
They need increase the roster if there going to be less teams

100% agree. From my knowledge the main reason they went to 7 inning games was ESPN told them they could broadcast more of the World Series games. Plus some of those 9 inning games could take 4 hours. Trying to make up 9 inning games in Shelby in August with rain is never a easy task.

if they increase enrollment a team with a enrollment of 5900 may be able to pick up a school that players currently dont have a team to play for, i am sure the enroll of all the high school in NC is more the 6000 times the number american legion teams 2 teams with enrollment of 3500 or less will need to combine to compete with a team with enrollment close to 7500

Last edited:
100% agree. From my knowledge the main reason they went to 7 inning games was ESPN told them they could broadcast more of the World Series games. Plus some of those 9 inning games could take 4 hours. Trying to make up 9 inning games in Shelby in August with rain is never a easy task.
why cant the state playoffs be 9 inning games they are not on ESPN ? why doesnt Shelby use the college playoff format of 2 double elimination brackets, if each bracket played on different days wouldnt need to play but 2 games per day

if they increase enrollment a team with a enrollment of 5900 may be able to pick up a school that players currently dont have a team to play for, i am sure the enroll of all the high school in NC is more the 6000 times the number american legion teams 2 teams with enrollment of 3500 or less will need to combine to compete with a team with enrollment close to 7500
100% agree! I wasn't a fan of increased enrollment. They just increased it I believe to 6,000 in 2019. I'm hearing there were some states that wanted to go to 10,000. But with 7,500 enrollment now you need to go to atleast 20 kids on a roster.

why cant the state playoffs be 9 inning games they are not on ESPN ? why doesnt Shelby use the college playoff format of 2 double elimination brackets, if each bracket played on different days wouldnt need to play but 2 games per day
Each state has the right to enforce rules at the state level. If the state committe wanted to the games could be 9 innings. Just like rentry and courtsey runner. They could include that or not during the state. With the enrollment to 7,500 the state can say no we are not doing that as a state we are staying at 6.000

if team A has a enrollment of 5000 and team B has a enrollment 5500 their enrollments would be much for then merge. i am not sure there is 2 team small enough in NC for them to merge without them dropping at least one school Randolph county and Cabarrus county are the only counties with more than one team in area 3

I think you would have to look more into the gastonias, shelby, rutherferdton area up to the asheville moutains. Really not going to effect the bigger cities in my opinon.

I think the bigger concern is growing teams. Many large metropolitan areas do not even field a team. Take Forsyth county, no Senior team. Strong teams like Winston-Salem and Kernersville folding up several years ago. Even examine juniors, Forsyth county fielded one program last year. Some forward thinking people should be looking at the root cause and see if it can be salvaged.

I 100% agree with you! If I lived in the Winston Salem area and just saw the enrollment increase to 7,500 and could choose players from up to 10 high schools to put my team together why wouldn't you create a team? I would be licking my chops. I don't undertand it. A legion team last year formed in South Carolina in Charleston. Think about how big Charleston is up to the summerville area. There is like 20 high schools that team can choose from. In their first year they reached the state final 4. Now imagine what they could do with an extra 1,500 enrollment.

Concord and Kannapolis want come close to 7500 enrollment with 2 teams in the county . the enrollment is not close 15000 in the county. all counties north, east, west and south of Cabarrus have a team, kannapolis may be able to get some South Rowan players though some of cox mills players live closer to Huntersville

teams in area 3 should play each other just one time. under the cross over format in the first round of the playoff teams have to travel more, for example , kannapolis ,concord, Randolph co , and eastern Randolph have to teams in the other division of area 3, playing each team one time and seeding teams 1 thru number teams could be less travel in playoffs because kannapolis could play concord or randolph co could play eastern Randolph or Rowan could play Mocksville or Mooresville

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT