ADVERTISEMENT

Ac Reynolds @ Shelby

Well, we’ve been waiting on this.
The perfect teaching moment.

We will stretch a little, but not really.
The point will be made.
The point we have made for decades.

Chambers played “up” this week. They lost.
Hough played “up” last week. They lost.
Mallard Creek played “up” this week. Lost.
Weddington played “up” this week. Lost.
Dudley played “up” this week. They lost.
Shelby played “up” this week. They lost.
Reidsville played “up” this week. They lost.

The top teams in the State, across classifications, played “up” this week (or last), and they all lost.
But every losing coach will tell you, it will make them better….for the season.
The loss will expose the weaknesses, with time to correct or adjust to them.

“So what?”, you ask. Most understand that, correct?
No, they don’t.
We have had the biggest arguments and most aggressive abuse trying to make this point, primarily to the 4A crowd, but also to 3A and 2A folks as well. Play “up”, it will make you better. “But 4A can’t play “up” “, they said.
They just did. And lost.
Powerful Indy, at their finest, played “up” in Ohio. And lost.

Some thought, play it safe, schedule cupcakes for non conference, go undefeated, and you will get the highest seeds, and now, perhaps a bye.
Some still think that way.
It is past time for strength of schedule to be considered in year end seeding.
We will not hold our breath.
But finally, many are starting to see the great value there is in scheduling non conference play against a team that may be better than you.

Want more proof?

There is a high school football program in NC that has been playing “up” forever.
Many years, 40% of their schedule has been against teams from higher classes. Some years, it was over 50%. Many years, including this year,
scheduled teams 2 classes “up”.
That program has won more games and more State Titles in the last 60 years than any other.
They have won 92% of games within their class.
The closest other program of any class is at 80%.
But in only 3 of those seasons were they undefeated.

Now you know why.
You should have told all that to AC this week. I bet they would have been scared to death. You people quote this stuff like it was The Pledge of Allegiance or Lincolns Gettysburg Address. We got beat by Page but we didn't go out the gate saying "but we beat them last year". This is a new year and every year is a new year. You can't rest on your laurels or anything from the past. You got to go grind it out one more time. You get pasted like this again and everyone you play will be thinking about how you got beat and you, yourself, will begin to forget that diatribe about "Want more Truth".

Reidsville got beat, Shelby got beat and other good programs lost. Lace 'em up, go out there and do it again.
I have an African Grey Parrot, when I leave in the morning he never tells me how many Championships any team in NC has won. He does say most every morning when I grab my keys "Gotta go to work". That's what all these teams better remember.

ACR was using their 3rd string kicker (the JV kicker) because of a soccer tournament being played in Raleigh. It didn’t show on FG and extra points but dang this two punts were awful, both traveled like 10 yards in the air. It’s great to have good kickers but when soccer comes first it does hurt.

Ac played a great game, very well coached, some talent on that team.
No excuses we got butts whipped.
I do feel, right at half we were in red zone, got 3 penaltys back to back that coat us a score, at that point it could have been 24-21 @ half, instead was 24-14 and they got kick off in 2nd.
Coaches need to ho back to drawing board...players need to pay attention and learn there positions.
Go back to tackle drills...

Ac played a great game, very well coached, some talent on that team.
No excuses we got butts whipped.
I do feel, right at half we were in red zone, got 3 penaltys back to back that coat us a score, at that point it could have been 24-21 @ half, instead was 24-14 and they got kick off in 2nd.
Coaches need to ho back to drawing board...players need to pay attention and learn there positions.
Go back to tackle drills...

yeah your defense hasn't wrapped up since championship game

what's going on with them? There's no point in being a fast defense if you can't wrap up. They've made every running back and receiver look good.

Honest Chop, I love our coaching staff, but firm believer u play way u practice, we don't hit much in practice anymore,
I'm hoping that changes due to this,.. Years ago, think start of Ware they believed we got to many hurt in practice...so it's kinda went this way for years

• Haha
Reactions: UNC_91
Honest Chop, I love our coaching staff, but firm believer u play way u practice, we don't hit much in practice anymore,
I'm hoping that changes due to this,.. Years ago, think start of Ware they believed we got to many hurt in practice...so it's kinda went this way for years
I guess most coaches went away from that

I do know we lost 6 players on defense, I get that..3- D-1. 3- D-2
We have some younger guys but they just seem lost during play, small LB
And your 100% no wrapping up, trying to arm tackle...
Hoping they go back to drawing board and start again this week, heard 3 days in pads this week..
Crest after a loss, and us not looking good will get after us too..
Sharks circling the water......

• Haha
I was wondering if this game would be posted on Youtube. Shelby usually has a good video stream and great announcers and color commentators, and often does post videos of their games. If they dont I absolutely guarantee ACR wont do it. But I would like to see this from a different perspective than that first half live stream I saw.

Reactions: Chopper747
I was wondering if this game would be posted on Youtube. Shelby usually has a good video stream and great announcers and color commentators, and often does post videos of their games. If they dont I absolutely guarantee ACR wont do it. But I would like to see this from a different perspective than that first half live stream I saw.
Reidsville's is better by far...

We haven’t streamed since the Covid spring season only audio

Chopper is right that dude from Reidsville put on one heck of a great stream
Havent heard their crew I dont think. I take that back, I saw a replay of the game from their viewpoint of last seasons playoff game with Shelby. Opinions vary I guess.

I do know we lost 6 players on defense, I get that..3- D-1. 3- D-2
We have some younger guys but they just seem lost during play, small LB
And your 100% no wrapping up, trying to arm tackle...
Hoping they go back to drawing board and start again this week, heard 3 days in pads this week..
Crest after a loss, and us not looking good will get after us too..
Sharks circling the water......
We are even arm tackling, all our guys are doing is hitting people with the wrapping up part. Also we have had 6'2" 230 lb linebackers since 2014 and this year they are just small and can't come up and drive someone back. Hopefully it get better the ship hasn't sunk yet. Keep looking up and working hard and usually good things happen.

• Haha
I guess most coaches went away from that
Yes alot of schools have gone away from hitting and alot of contact during practice......reduce injuries and the thinking is it will make them hungry during games to hit....idk if this the correct thought process or not. Heck go watch the panthers practice it's practically touch football.

ACR was using their 3rd string kicker (the JV kicker) because of a soccer tournament being played in Raleigh. It didn’t show on FG and extra points but dang this two punts were awful, both traveled like 10 yards in the air. It’s great to have good kickers but when soccer comes first it does hurt.
We have our freshman qb punting. You can’t tell me nobody else on the team can’t punt better than a 15 year old

Reactions: Reynoldsrocks2
4 returning lineman. A 4 star prospect for the 5th. A returning senior QB with school records in passing, and we get blown off the field?

I'm sorry all the talk about playing up is an excuse. Shelby has always expected to win these games, we haven't ever considered ourself a 2a team!

We flat out have gotten smacked around two weeks in a row. There's no clear leader on this team, and we don't play with any passion.

Of course we'll be ok when we play highland tech etc.

But let's not act like this hasn't been a complete disappointment that needs to rectified quickly.

I didn't notice any kids or coaches upset in the 2nd quarter. They gave up and were ready to go home. We can't coach pride, come on man!

Run the helll out of these kids, set some defensive goals for the rest of the year. Make Daylin lead!

This is why everyone laughs at our 2a titles. We "played up, we'll be alright, but were the best team in the state because we beat cupcakes every week"

I'm worried about our head coach again, if no one else will say it, i will!
Do i feel SORRY for POOR SHELBY heck no, I am a born and raised MOUNTAINEER , but i will say they have set the STANDARD for HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL in NC hands down. Their is a saying THE SUN DON'T SHINE ON THE SAME DOG BUTT ALL THE TIME. And that goes for THE MIGHTY GOLDEN LIONS too, good LUCK for the rest of the SEASON.

Said it the other day and Ill say it again

Shelby has played two very good teams and got beat, no other way to put it... Theyll figure it out and this same team that everyone thinks is dead this year, will be there WAY deep this playoff season.... I really believe that, but if it doesnt happen hey good luck to whomever knocks us out... But we aren't dead, far from it... Just working through some rough times at the moment...

Said it the other day and Ill say it again

Shelby has played two very good teams and got beat, no other way to put it... Theyll figure it out and this same team that everyone thinks is dead this year, will be there WAY deep this playoff season.... I really believe that, but if it doesnt happen hey good luck to whomever knocks us out... But we aren't dead, far from it... Just working through some rough times at the moment...
I agree, I expect a 3rd or 4th round exit

We have played 2 really good teams, especially AC
They are well coached, and this year loaded with talent.
We know we breeze through conference play, till match up with Burns,
Hopefully by that time we have gelled.
Still alot of work ahead...

You sound like 98Champions, he got your password now? I thought you guys didn't get along.
No SHSLion gets along with everyone he is a good dude, It was me that argued with them the lat couple years...

While I dont agree with their posts 99 percent of the time these fellas do a lot for the Shelby kids and program... They are good dudes all of them in what they do for Shelby.... I will say that...

Reynolds streams every home varsity and JV game on the NFHS Network and has since 2020-21. Some games even have announcers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT