ADVERTISEMENT

8 classes

I can see 5 or 6 Classifications, buy not 8. Even Texas don't have 8.
Texas has sixhigh school football classifications:

• Class 6A: 2,225 and above
  • Class 5A: 1,300–2,224
  • Class 4A: 545–1,299
  • Class 3A
  • Class 2A
  • Class 1A

Reactions: nwguilford007

• Class 3A
  • Class 2A
  • Class 1A
Texas subdivides football but not the other sports. 1A was eight man football only and I think it continues to be plus it is subdivided.

Texas does not have evenly set classes but they have a set ADM the schools fall into as you listed. There may be 250 in one class and less than 200 in another. Rather larger spreads in the enrollment per class.

Last edited:
Someone in the know help me understand the rationale behind going to 8 classes. I thought six was the perfect number for NC.
From talking to few ADs - 64 schools per classifications is the issue

due to the amount of schools within the NCHSAA, it is over the limit to do 64 per class so that’s why they had to go to 8 I believe school count is at 430 once its goes to 240 which is likely then after it’s at 440 u couldn’t do 64 schools per class

Last edited:
Reactions: shutdownD24
what is your idea of what the conference would look like with 8 classes
All I know is they want keep it to 6 teams per conference

But they are supposedly going do a Mock Draft with the current ADM here soon then will do the real one once the new ADM come out for 2025

Well in todays society everything can be traced back to money but….More state playoff games more championships equal more money for state…..schools that have playoffs games hardly get any of the gate money most goes to state

The ADM’s fluctuate yearly that’s why you saw teams go back in forth between AA and A. 8 is stupid. Might as well leave it at 4 and subdivide the playoffs. You would come closer to getting it right yearly. . 5 or 6 max !

But they are supposedly going do a Mock Draft with the current ADM here soon then will do the real one once the new ADM come out for 2025
About two decades ago there was a huge state map in the nchsaa offices with a pin for each school colored by classification. It was laid out in a five classification format.. Two of the biggest complaints by schools were travel and split class conferences. It was obvious looking at that map that either split conferences or travel were going to increase drastically.. I can only imagine what it will be like with eight classes.

Well in todays society everything can be traced back to money but….More state playoff games more championships equal more money for state…..schools that have playoffs games hardly get any of the gate money most goes to state
There will be the same amount of playoff teams and games as this season. The state title games are not big money makers for the nchsaa.

Saw where a guy summed it up pretty well. This is about making people happy. Winning makes people happy. More winners equals less complainers. May be that does equate into some financial form but it seems to be the new norm.

Six teams per conference will leave some programs struggling to find five non-conference games in football. I can see travel increasing as teams schedule games further away.

Someone in the know help me understand the rationale behind going to 8 classes. I thought six was the perfect number for NC.
As a result, more schools will have the opportunity to compete at a lower class. Furthermore, it allows the same class champions to trash criticize the higher class for not winning as many titles - I believe.

The ADM’s fluctuate yearly that’s why you saw teams go back in forth between AA and A. 8 is stupid. Might as well leave it at 4 and subdivide the playoffs. You would come closer to getting it right yearly. . 5 or 6 max !
I agree that in football 8 classes gets you closer to the subdivisions that existed with 4 classifications. The problem is that football was the only sport that subdivided.

NC should do reclassification every 2 years because of how much the numbers change every year.

I think we're going to see just about every conference will be a split conference and some may have to split 3 classifications (which would have to be changed in the by laws I believe). With 8 classes we will have 54-55 schools per class. I think playoffs then become 32 teams and football could possibly add that 11th game back if they so choose. I think NCHSAA is going to make it very difficult on themselves with 8 state champions in all the other NON-Football sports where in the past the NON-Football sports only had 4 state champions. It's also going to be tough on the NCHSAA finding facilities to host those 8 state championships, not only in football, but the NON-Football sports as well.

I will be very interested to see a mock draft of conferences and how playoff seeding will happen.

Reactions: beamer24 and btango
They struggled to find regional sites with four in basketball and had issues with state title game sites in the past. Logistical issues will be a major hurdle.

• Class 3A
  • Class 2A
  • Class 1A

Texas has some split classes(Div 1 and Div 2)

Texas subdivides football but not the other sports. 1A was eight man football only and I think it continues to be plus it is subdivided.

Texas does not have evenly set classes but they have a set ADM the schools fall into as you listed. There may be 250 in one class and less than 200 in another. Rather larger spreads in the enrollment per class.

Texas has some split classes(Div 1 and Div 2)
More info. Texas has five classes of 11 man football that are subdivided to ten champions. That is one title for every 120-125 schools it appears. (Correct me if I am wrong on that number.)

• Class 3A
  • Class 2A
  • Class 1A
We essentially had 8 before in football.

We essentially had 8 before in football.
Yes but for years the classifications were composed of football only schools with the non football added in after the breakdown. The new setup is going to cause very few football schools to be in 1A and 2A so the NCHSAA and the committee handling this will need to work to determine the best way to address that.

More Classes - More Playoffs - More Money
The numbers do not compute that.
Current four classes with 64 playoff teams = 256 total teams.
Proposed eight classes with 32 playoff teams = 256 teams. Same amount of teams and games.

State title games are not a big profit maker. With the new rules put in place by the NC General Assembly NOT allowing any corporate sponsors I expect to see potential changes in the title game format.

Last edited:
Reactions: beamer24
The numbers do not compute that.
Current four classes with 64 playoff teams = 256 total teams.
Proposed eight classes with 64 playoff teams = 256 teams. Same amount of teams and games.

State title games are not a big profit maker. With the new rules put in place by the NC General Assembly NOT allowing any corporate sponsors I expect to see potential changes in the title game format.
So basically the only change is the size of schools you are competing against.

About two decades ago there was a huge state map in the nchsaa offices with a pin for each school colored by classification. It was laid out in a five classification format.. Two of the biggest complaints by schools were travel and split class conferences. It was obvious looking at that map that either split conferences or travel were going to increase drastically.. I can only imagine what it will be like with eight classes.
I was told this is suppose help with travel but There still a lot of unknowns n things can change everyday so will see when it happens

They kinda wanna be what SC is tbh bc Ik they wanna go to 2 years realignments

I was told this is suppose help with travel but There still a lot of unknowns n things can change everyday so will see when it happens

They kinda wanna be what SC is tbh bc Ik they wanna go to 2 years realignments
They have never seemed to follow what SCHSL does.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
They have never seemed to follow what SCHSL does.
True but I do know that’s what they Said they want to do but ofc NCHSAA goes to the beat of their own drum so will see what happens

I do think issue with 8 classes is you may have more split conferences

Going to eight does not help with travel. The ONLY reason for this is to make the ADM ranges closer in the classifications and provide more opportunities for success in the playoffs.

There will be the same amount of playoff teams and games as this season. The state title games are not big money makers for the nchsaa.

Saw where a guy summed it up pretty well. This is about making people happy. Winning makes people happy. More winners equals less complainers. May be that does equate into some financial form but it seems to be the new norm.
Btango......that guy hit the nail on the head. There are fans out there that would boast about beating a team by 30pts eventhough the other team only had 15 players....LOL

Reactions: btango
Not too long ago we have 8 state champions in football with subdivisions. We have more schools now and we are going to 8 classifications. Isn’t this the same as back then with the subdivisions. Nobody complained then so why now?

Not too long ago we have 8 state champions in football with subdivisions. We have more schools now and we are going to 8 classifications. Isn’t this the same as back then with the subdivisions. Nobody complained then so why now?
I did not like eight. There are not that many more football playing schools than there was ten years ago but there are a lot more non football playing schools. That’s part of the issue.

4A state title game featured a school that was 3AA state champ and a school that has been a small 4A. 2A featured Shelby and Reidsville which are smaller 2A schools. Robbinsville a recent small 1A champ was in the regional championship. The competition has been good but I understand football could use more classes. Non football sports need a major overhaul in 1A and somewhat 2A.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT