ADVERTISEMENT

$50 to cover a game?

Razzamatazz

Apr 8, 2021
What is this all about? Charging a newspaper man to cover a local HS football game…CHASE @ Owen?

per Jacob Conley’s twit feed…Jacob writes for The Daily Courier:

“I was all set to cover @CTrojanFootball On Friday but Owen wants to charge me $50 to do so. I was therefore forced to choose another assignment. I've been covering prep sports for 15 years and this is the 1st time Anybody wanted to charge me To cover a game”

I know the MAC schools charge a $50 fee to broadcast basketball. I've never heard of a newspaper writer being charged anywhere. Are we sure they didn't misunderstand this wasn't a broadcast/webcast?

We used to be charged to broadcast at certain schools during the regular season $100. It’s only required by NCHSAA during the postseason and at the time that was only $50, now it’s $100. Apparently those certain schools thought out little old broadcast would hurt their gate. Crazy.

Does the daily courier charge a fee to read their articles online? Is so pay up.

Does the daily courier charge a fee to read their articles online? Is so pay up.
Yeah and they also charge a fee for reading their printed newspapers. What’s the difference? So we’re going to start charging newspaper journalists a fee for covering HS football game if that newspaper has an online service? That makes no sense. Probably more to this story.

Yeah and they also charge a fee for reading their printed newspapers. What’s the difference? So we’re going to start charging newspaper journalists a fee for covering HS football game if that newspaper has an online service? That makes no sense. Probably more to this story.
Well if every web site you went too wanted a subscription it would be more obvious to you what I'm talking about.

Well if every web site you went too wanted a subscription it would be more obvious to you what I'm talking about.
What is obvious is charging a fee for something that I know of no other NC HS charging a fee for is ridiculous.

Reactions: UNC91
Dang, this is high school football/high school stadium, not the press box at the Rose Bowl. Reporter just needs to post up on the visitor's side, top row/50 yd. line with his spiral note pad, and file his story when he gets back to the local rag. Can't imagine the school is going to hunt him down for the $50.00.

A few years ago I went to a class about my job that was being held in Marion. That afternoon when it was over I drove up the mountain to Owen High School. I asked the office if I could view their stadium, and they walked with me out there. It was really nice...You should have told them you would do it. I don't know if Owen can stay with Chase, but it would be a nice road trip.

What is this all about? Charging a newspaper man to cover a local HS football game…CHASE @ Owen?

per Jacob Conley’s twit feed…Jacob writes for The Daily Courier:

“I was all set to cover @CTrojanFootball On Friday but Owen wants to charge me $50 to do so. I was therefore forced to choose another assignment. I've been covering prep sports for 15 years and this is the 1st time Anybody wanted to charge me To cover a game”
Total Bush league.

I have no idea of the lay of the land up at Owen... but is it possible that the pressbox is crowded enough that they feel like they need to charge that in order weed folks out?

I'm with the other person who said that they should just show up and sit in the stands. They can't stop you from that. Not ideal, but if you want the game for your paper, you'd do it.

But... FLIP that idea... Go somewhere else and let the parents get mad about their kid not getting covered in the paper that week. That might be more fun.

Also, I fully support a newspaper charging you to read their articles. They are a newspaper that exists to make a profit. If they can't make payroll, then they disappear. Its happening all over the country.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT