ADVERTISEMENT

5-0 STARMOUNT @ 5-0 MOUNT AIRY

Several of us Bear fans went to Boonville last evening to see the Rams before next week.
With absolutely no disrespect intended, I was actually surprised and a little disappointed in both teams.

While Allegheny is much better than the last couple of years and certainly miss #20 not playing, they simple are not a upper tier team this year. But they did not stop trying and giving it their all. There numbers appear to be on the up swing and that is really a good sign for future development of the program.

With the Starmount's Coach having the history of success that he has, I expected a very disciplined team. That is not what I saw. Multi unsportmanship calls and more could have been called, maybe should have been called. The sad part is when you are completely dominating a team, why did a couple of the players want to act like thugs? Even more to the point, why would the Coach tolerate it?

From a skill point of view, Starmount has good size across the the whole team. The QB has reasonably good speed, has a strong arm, and runs well and is the focal point of the team. Defense against Allegheny was very strong. Kicking was not a strong point with no kickoff going past the 20 yard line I do not think.

It appeared that the players are beginning to understand the offense that the Coach wants played. Special teams were not yet a high light of the team.

If Mt Airy has 3 or 4 of the 5 starters back next week that did not play last night, Starmount will not fair well and I believe Mt Airy will have their 6th running clock by halftime. The strength and speed that the Bears have will do damage and do it quickly. If those starters are not back, then Mt Airy wins by 4 or more touchdowns.

Several of us Bear fans went to Boonville last evening to see the Rams before next week.
With absolutely no disrespect intended, I was actually surprised and a little disappointed in both teams.

While Allegheny is much better than the last couple of years and certainly miss #20 not playing, they simple are not a upper tier team this year. But they did not stop trying and giving it their all. There numbers appear to be on the up swing and that is really a good sign for future development of the program.

With the Starmount's Coach having the history of success that he has, I expected a very disciplined team. That is not what I saw. Multi unsportmanship calls and more could have been called, maybe should have been called. The sad part is when you are completely dominating a team, why did a couple of the players want to act like thugs? Even more to the point, why would the Coach tolerate it?

From a skill point of view, Starmount has good size across the the whole team. The QB has reasonably good speed, has a strong arm, and runs well and is the focal point of the team. Defense against Allegheny was very strong. Kicking was not a strong point with no kickoff going past the 20 yard line I do not think.

It appeared that the players are beginning to understand the offense that the Coach wants played. Special teams were not yet a high light of the team.

If Mt Airy has 3 or 4 of the 5 starters back next week that did not play last night, Starmount will not fair well and I believe Mt Airy will have their 6th running clock by halftime. The strength and speed that the Bears have will do damage and do it quickly. If those starters are not back, then Mt Airy wins by 4 or more touchdowns.
After checking the roster the Trojans have 30 , only 24 were on sideline and one not dressed. 10 are freshman and sophomore
They are capable of having a big upswing in coming years but lack decent size. They do play hard. Coach is sort of limited in his playbook. Passing game was always from the same offense set.
Starmount just seemed to have a chip on their shoulder. Lots of attitude which can be good if controlled, it wasn't. Taking a helmet off on the field should have been another personal foul but wasn't called. #78 was a big player but needed to be benched after multiple calls. Next week will be interesting

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Our playbook has been limited for years now. Interested to see how we do with south stokes in 2 weeks. North is awful so we will beat them. Elkin and east Wilkes should be good games as well.

I think ma wins this one by a couple scores. Next year's game might be pretty good though. Ma just loaded this year.

This weeks game will tell us a lot about the rams and bears. Interested to see how the bears will respond when Starmount brings that vigor that is being talked about from last night. Sounds like the rams are experiencing growing pains as were the bears against Mitchell a couple years back. With age comes discipline. We keep hearing next year it might be better, next years bears won’t be as loaded. I am here to tell you that the kicking game won’t drop off, the backfield will not drop off. the receiving corps won’t drop off. The qb position will need developed possibly. The defense won’t drop off that much. Line play will be there. The backfield could be as good as what’s in place now. The junior, sophomore are deep and the freshman class has enough depth to fill needs. Next years team won’t be as deep but it will be very talented and extremely good. Very excited to see the backfield of Martin and joyce.

Did Starmount throw any 👟 shoes? Asking for a friend. 😂
Maybe when the Mt Airy players picks up the shoe and tries to hand it to an official the official will be worth a crap and not on the other teams payroll and will take the shoe so the Mt Airy player will not need to "toss" the shoe to the side line as the next play is getting ready to begin.

Just Saying for a friend.

Maybe when the Mt Airy players picks up the shoe and tries to hand it to an official the official will be worth a crap and not on the other teams payroll and will take the shoe so the Mt Airy player will not need to "toss" the shoe to the side line as the next play is getting ready to begin.

I would never talk about the refs being paid off by the other team if I was from MA. Not with a straight face anyway. 😲

It is standard fare for Mt Airy to pay the officials that come to Mt Airy. I think it is even required by the NCHSSA. Not sure, maybe we should check.
But I am pretty sure Mt Airy has NEVER paid an official for services when we are the visiting team.

Man wish I could post clips, as if you would take time to go back and watch, yep each penalty that was called is on film and actually happened. You may not agree and,I know it’s hard to believe but they are there. Not sure why that one game continues to be brought up. It happened and it’s over. All schools have games like that where they blame the officials, it’s what fans do. (See Mitchell vs. ES). Just most teams eventually let it go.
Maybe if MA beats the cleats off Mitchell this year they can move on. (Which they will if they play). One would think the state title would have accomplished that, maybe a second will.

Anywho that’s my one and only comment on this thread. So jump on me, call me names, make fun of me, tell me how wrong I am:

go Mountaineers

After checking the roster the Trojans have 30 , only 24 were on sideline and one not dressed. 10 are freshman and sophomore
They are capable of having a big upswing in coming years but lack decent size. They do play hard. Coach is sort of limited in his playbook. Passing game was always from the same offense set.
Starmount just seemed to have a chip on their shoulder. Lots of attitude which can be good if controlled, it wasn't. Taking a helmet off on the field should have been another personal foul but wasn't called. #78 was a big player but needed to be benched after multiple calls. Next week will be interesting
Was number 78 one of the players from Reagan?

Man wish I could post clips, as if you would take time to go back and watch, yep each penalty that was called is on film and actually happened. You may not agree and,I know it’s hard to believe but they are there. Not sure why that one game continues to be brought up. It happened and it’s over. All schools have games like that where they blame the officials, it’s what fans do. (See Mitchell vs. ES). Just most teams eventually let it go.
Maybe if MA beats the cleats off Mitchell this year they can move on. (Which they will if they play). One would think the state title would have accomplished that, maybe a second will.

Anywho that’s my one and only comment on this thread. So jump on me, call me names, make fun of me, tell me how wrong I am:

go Mountaineers
You know it is not MA fans that bring up that game it is others that bring it up just like the one 15 years ago. In the latter rounds of the playoffs the state pucks the officials and they have to come from nonlocal associations.

This weeks game will tell us a lot about the rams and bears. Interested to see how the bears will respond when Starmount brings that vigor that is being talked about from last night. Sounds like the rams are experiencing growing pains as were the bears against Mitchell a couple years back. With age comes discipline. We keep hearing next year it might be better, next years bears won’t be as loaded. I am here to tell you that the kicking game won’t drop off, the backfield will not drop off. the receiving corps won’t drop off. The qb position will need developed possibly. The defense won’t drop off that much. Line play will be there. The backfield could be as good as what’s in place now. The junior, sophomore are deep and the freshman class has enough depth to fill needs. Next years team won’t be as deep but it will be very talented and extremely good. Very excited to see the backfield of Martin and joyce.
Yes that backfield will probably be as good or better than the one that's there now. Which is scary. The Martin kid runs hard and different than anybody I've seen. And if he gets to 185 to 190 of muscle look out. The Joyce kid is something else. 6'2 or 3. 220 lb right now I heard. Ran a four five 40 at the NC State camp. Not many times you have a defensive end and also a tailback. He's just a different type of kid. I don't even think they have something like him right now. Don't forget he went in as a true freshman and dominated tarboro on the outside. And they are an excellent football team. If they didn't have special team excuse I think it would have been a dead even game.

Starmount is gonna be stacked next year. The Billips twins in the backfield along with Crater, Collins, Hernandez. If Jymir Billips stays in the weight room he's gonna be unreal by the time he's a Sr. Has all of the fluid moves and toughness of a special player not to mention a family history of great players. I'm sure some of y'all remember Reggie Billips that played at Starmount. Justin Billips from the Elkin State Championship team in 03'. I think if I'm not mistaken that these two are Justin's nephews.

Last edited:
Reactions: gdawg74
I agree rough , I don’t see a drop off in the backfield. The above post sounds promising for Starmount. I like it. I see the Bears not dropping off much if any. We haven’t talked about the line. Talk about athleticism and size. Multiple players 6-2 or better and 300 plus. If Third Floyd grows two more inches with his athleticism power 5 schools will be lining up to get him. That sophomore class is special. Looking at the roster I’m hard pressed to say that I know anyone as an adult that’s 6-5 325 lbs let along a 14 year old freshman kid. Bears gonna be a serious problem for a few years to come. Expect to compete for a state title again next year as well. Hopefully startmount can push the bears next year. Don’t see it this year. If I’m honest I don’t see it next either

Coach Loyd is as good a coach as there is. Going to be interesting to see how he does with the typical talent pipeline and ups and downs of 1a football. Coming from the 3a ranks and king’s mountain which is a traditional power that coach loyd built them to. So the expectation would be that the talent Starmount has in the pipeline that they compete year in and year out. This is something that as a bear fan I welcome. Hopefully the programs can feed off off each others instead of being lopsided as of late. I guess my question would be what happened in king’s mountain that led Coach to leave. From my understanding Kings Mountain is expected to compete for the western region again , so the talent is there.

Reactions: Bearfan71
Starmount is going through growing pains. That is all.. Nice to hear they have the spunk though. Hopefully, the coach, will tame the conduct down and get them focused. We will see how it goes Friday. I have never known the Bears to just lie down and be totally disciplined when emotions rise. But, they are definitely better at it than a few years back. We will see Friday hopefully!!!

Starmount beats the third best team in conference by 40 the same team that took Mitchell to the wire and everyone on this thread wants to talk abt how bad starmount is. Win or lose this week starmount will be tough come playoffs. I wish the penalties would slow down but they have not yet. However Lloyd brings attitude and toughness and it feeds into the players. I love watching this starmount team. And for those of you talking abt 78 last night when he acted the way he did Lloyd did take him out of the game and he didn’t have another penalty after. If you gonna call it on here call it right

• Love
Reactions: NCBBFB
Coach Loyd is as good a coach as there is. Going to be interesting to see how he does with the typical talent pipeline and ups and downs of 1a football. Coming from the 3a ranks and king’s mountain which is a traditional power that coach loyd built them to. So the expectation would be that the talent Starmount has in the pipeline that they compete year in and year out. This is something that as a bear fan I welcome. Hopefully the programs can feed off off each others instead of being lopsided as of late. I guess my question would be what happened in king’s mountain that led Coach to leave. From my understanding Kings Mountain is expected to compete for the western region again , so the talent is there.
The talent is coming(it actually never left) The Starmount Middle School team has beaten Mt Airy badly the past 2 years. Now with good coaching and community support instead of falling off at the HS level they will be developed further. The continued support and hs coaching has been the issue

Reactions: Orange01
Starmount beats the third best team in conference by 40 the same team that took Mitchell to the wire and everyone on this thread wants to talk abt how bad starmount is. Win or lose this week starmount will be tough come playoffs. I wish the penalties would slow down but they have not yet. However Lloyd brings attitude and toughness and it feeds into the players. I love watching this starmount team. And for those of you talking abt 78 last night when he acted the way he did Lloyd did take him out of the game and he didn’t have another penalty after. If you gonna call it on here call it right
He take him out first time or second time. Was more than once. Had several got unsporting penalties Wifm radio was talking about it on air

Starmount is gonna be stacked next year. The Billips twins in the backfield along with Crater, Collins, Hernandez. If Jymir Billips stays in the weight room he's gonna be unreal by the time he's a Sr. Has all of the fluid moves and toughness of a special player not to mention a family history of great players. I'm sure some of y'all remember Reggie Billips that played at Starmount. Justin Billips from the Elkin State Championship team in 03'. I think if I'm not mistaken that these two are Justin's nephews.
No from what I understand only one of those is going to be a contributor. I think the problem is your expectation of what is fantastic. That puts a little pressure on those kids. There are five or six kids in the Mount Airy sophomore class that you don't have anybody better than. It's just a fact you don't want to admit it but you don't have anyone better than them. And therein is the difference.

No from what I understand only one of those is going to be a contributor. I think the problem is your expectation of what is fantastic. That puts a little pressure on those kids. There are five or six kids in the Mount Airy sophomore class that you don't have anybody better than. It's just a fact you don't want to admit it but you don't have anyone better than them. And therein is the difference.
With all due respect rough. Who you get your info from doesn't know what is going on at Starmount. I've noticed this with several of your posts in the past year. I never mentioned being better than anyone else. I don't know why this was brought up?? I just implied that Starmount will have a really good team next year. One of the Tarboro posters above recognizes that as well

With all due respect rough. Who you get your info from doesn't know what is going on at Starmount. I've noticed this with several of your posts in the past year. I never mentioned being better than anyone else. I don't know why this was brought up?? I just implied that Starmount will have a really good team next year. One of the Tarboro posters above recognizes that as well
You didn’t realize it’s illegal for anyone other than MA to be any good?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT