ADVERTISEMENT

#4 Shelby (5-2) vs. #5 Walkertown (5-0)

I think Shelby will do fine here if they come ready to play.. if they come in light headed it could be back and forth.

Walkertown's improved quite a bit from what they used to be.. they were quite pathetic in 2016/17. McKoy came in and has used the open enrollment system Forsyth Co has to make the program into his own image pretty much. A lot of the kids they have are from other schools and they openly admit it. They bully other schools with their speed.. that being said Shelby has as much speed if not more so. It'll come down to line play.. I just think Shelby's is a ton better there. Walkertown's best DL had a broke leg at the start of the year.

If Walkertown plays as awful as they did in their last game vs Surry Central then Shelby will have a cakewalk. They turned the ball over 4 times (3 in the 2nd half,) but Central couldn't overcome their speed to beat them. Shelby isn't the team to let up on.

Reactions: notanyonesfan
I think Shelby will do fine here if they come ready to play.. if they come in light headed it could be back and forth.

Walkertown's improved quite a bit from what they used to be.. they were quite pathetic in 2016/17. McKoy came in and has used the open enrollment system Forsyth Co has to make the program into his own image pretty much. A lot of the kids they have are from other schools and they openly admit it. They bully other schools with their speed.. that being said Shelby has as much speed if not more so. It'll come down to line play.. I just think Shelby's is a ton better there. Walkertown's best DL had a broke leg at the start of the year.

If Walkertown plays as awful as they did in their last game vs Surry Central then Shelby will have a cakewalk. They turned the ball over 4 times (3 in the 2nd half,) but Central couldn't overcome their speed to beat them. Shelby isn't the team to let up on. Seems like most people is writing off , especially their own fans . I have watched Shelby football for over 35 years and Most years they are in it to win it , This has been a weird time in history for a lot of reasons for all but one thing I know is when playoffs rolls around Shelby seems to kick it in overdrive no matter what offense or defense they run , this year will be No different , My honest opinion is Shelby will play for the title ,

Hello, Shelby Fans? Have you lost interest in this team or feel this game is already won?
We’re here. Can’t speak for everyone, but this season has been humbling. A lot of weirdness this season, some uncharacteristic things has happened. Yet, I’m still very optimistic, though.

Also, I’ve just been sitting back, entertained by all the computer talk and crazy predictions. Dudes tickle me. This ain’t Madden, though. There’s no game simulation mode. The games are to be played on the field. Screw math and power ratings. There’s the human element to the game that can’t be calculated. I remember Calpreps having Clinton beating us by 10 in the 2014 state championship.

Come in cocky facing Shelby, and you could get humiliated. One game at a time, though. Unlike the previous years, we don’t know what to expect. We never really doubted that we’d win, if we’re being honest with ourselves. I’m talking versus 2A competition, and that’s not taking anything away from losses to South Point and Hibriten in recent years.

Good word there ^^^^

Im hoping this ends up being like the 1998 season... Struggled a bit toward end of the year, then in the playoffs the defense decided they'd had enough and went on an absolute tear destroying everything in sight... Will it happen well I dont know but we shall see beginning tomorrow... The talent is there, the want too and fed up mentality needs to take effect and they alone have to decide how far they want to take this particular version of the Golden Lions...

Reactions: Lion Attack
Hope u right LA, this team hard for me to figure out, being around team, I haven't seen the fire as past years, I don't see a unit as a whole, I see individuals,
We don't have a true leader this year, I've asked several Sr to step up to role, but haven't seen it yet.
Not sure why change to 3-4, I myself don't care for it, I like 4-3 or 5 man front..
Been 2 good weeks of practice let's see if it carrys over

We’re here. Can’t speak for everyone, but this season has been humbling. A lot of weirdness this season, some uncharacteristic things has happened. Yet, I’m still very optimistic, though.

Also, I’ve just been sitting back, entertained by all the computer talk and crazy predictions. Dudes tickle me. This ain’t Madden, though. There’s no game simulation mode. The games are to be played on the field. Screw math and power ratings. There’s the human element to the game that can’t be calculated. I remember Calpreps having Clinton beating us by 10 in the 2014 state championship.

Come in cocky facing Shelby, and you could get humiliated. One game at a time, though. Unlike the previous years, we don’t know what to expect. We never really doubted that we’d win, if we’re being honest with ourselves. I’m talking versus 2A competition, and that’s not taking anything away from losses to South Point and Hibriten in recent years.
This is it... Exactly how we all feel..

I don't know anything, just a dumb fan. I like the 4-3 though, always have. With that being said, I think your boys are just so used to winning that its hard for them to get excited about anything now. Walkertown? Cake walk. Chase? Never lost ...Cake walk. East Rutherford? Cake walk. Next year will be worse until the playoffs. No reason Shelby should have lost to SP. Kings Mountain? Maybe, but they are slowly changing into a force. Just my two cents. The boys need something to play for. Same concept applies to a team that never wins...

Hope u right LA, this team hard for me to figure out, being around team, I haven't seen the fire as past years, I don't see a unit as a whole, I see individuals,
We don't have a true leader this year, I've asked several Sr to step up to role, but haven't seen it yet.
Not sure why change to 3-4, I myself don't care for it, I like 4-3 or 5 man front..
Been 2 good weeks of practice let's see if it carrys over
I heard when the head coach went looking for a new D coordinator he went looking for someone to run the 3-4, don't know if that is true to not, but he is the one in control and can change anything if he is willing. There is obviously a need to change something. I know we lost Jack but this D has been getting killed on the edge and not as much up the middle. So I don't think that is the main problem.

Reactions: Bulldog_012
I heard when the head coach went looking for a new D coordinator he went looking for someone to run the 3-4, don't know if that is true to not, but he is the one in control and can change anything if he is willing. There is obviously a need to change something. I know we lost Jack but this D has been getting killed on the edge and not as much up the middle. So I don't think that is the main problem.
It is way to late to make a change now. Gotta roll with what brung ya.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
I heard when the head coach went looking for a new D coordinator he went looking for someone to run the 3-4,
🎯🎯🎯🎯 Yes, I was recently told this, too. He, the head guy, made that decision to combat the spread offenses that are prevalent now. But damn, let’s be flexible enough to go back to the 4-3 when we’re playing run dominant teams.

I’ve posted this before, but deleted it. Leadership hurts this team, too. Badly! The best players, with the exception of Omar Phillips, are underclassmen. The senior leadership is lacking. They miss Jack badly, defensively. Dax and Jack led verbally and by example. They’re such fiery competitors. They will have you wanting to run through a wall with them and for them.

Offensively, Huitt is a transfer. The players didn’t know him like that and vice versa, so that’s different. It appears that Omar is the leader when it’s typically been the quarterback.

Lastly and contrary to what many believe, Shelby is simply not as talented as years past., primarily offensively. Don’t get me wrong, Shelby is still very talented, but not as talented. I hate to beat a dead horse, but for starters, you don’t lose Ruff and Borders, and not have a drop off talent wise. I have heard them mention Shelby recently in interviews, a recent questionnaire with Borders, and he and Ruff in a post game interview. All I could do is shake my head, thinking what could have been.

Borders recently in “5 questions”, in the Star last week.

You and Crest quarterback Timothy ‘T.J.’ Ruff II seem to have a unique chemistry. Where does that come from and how has it helped since he moved to quarterback?
"That’s my dawg, man. We’ve been together since we were little. Of course, we both came over from Shelby, I came a year before he did. But since he came over our bond has only gotten stronger. We don’t have to look at each other sometimes and know what the other is thinking. That’s my dawg for sure.”

Reactions: SHS LION
LA, me and your sis texting earlier talking bout that middle school team..
Man there loaded, 12 pts scored on that D all year. Nobody was close to beating them.
Hope they all stay in tact.

• Love
LA, me and your sis texting earlier talking bout that middle school team..
Man there loaded, 12 pts scored on that D all year. Nobody was close to beating them.
Hope they all stay in tact.
I hope they stay together too. Playing in a 1a conference may not sound to appealing for most though :-(

I see some posters hitting the mark and other missing it. Once again this is my humble opinion. The level of success Shelby and Reidsville experience year end and year out can be intoxicating. The problems might not be coach, kids attitudes or anything other than having a normal year as compared to nearly every other program in the state.
I saw it at Reidsville from 12-15. We'd go deep into the playoffs. Lost to you guys and Lincolnton and you would've thought the sky was falling. I know the bar has been set high. It's going to happen a lot more over the next 4 years with 4 divisions.
Loosing senior leaders to college. It would have been devestating to loose Breon and Pinnix this spring.
I honestly think we'll be down this fall. We're loosing a lot of key players and will be very young.
Good luck to you guys tonight.

I see some posters hitting the mark and other missing it. Once again this is my humble opinion. The level of success Shelby and Reidsville experience year end and year out can be intoxicating. The problems might not be coach, kids attitudes or anything other than having a normal year as compared to nearly every other program in the state.
I saw it at Reidsville from 12-15. We'd go deep into the playoffs. Lost to you guys and Lincolnton and you would've thought the sky was falling. I know the bar has been set high. It's going to happen a lot more over the next 4 years with 4 divisions.
Loosing senior leaders to college. It would have been devestating to loose Breon and Pinnix this spring.
I honestly think we'll be down this fall. We're loosing a lot of key players and will be very young.

Not to derail the thread, but also think we’ll be possibly be down.

To this game I like the posters above me score of 42-20. Could get worse though

Reactions: notanyonesfan
This current Reidsville team is senior dominated with the Rams losing nearly all of their skill position players to graduation.

With a much more difficult schedule and a sophomore laden team this fall, a rebuilding year is in order.

Very challenging 2021 fall campaign ahead for the Rams.

Reactions: FBCapitolofNC
Good word there ^^^^

Im hoping this ends up being like the 1998 season... Struggled a bit toward end of the year, then in the playoffs the defense decided they'd had enough and went on an absolute tear destroying everything in sight... Will it happen well I dont know but we shall see beginning tomorrow... The talent is there, the want too and fed up mentality needs to take effect and they alone have to decide how far they want to take this particular version of the Golden Lions...

Hmmm....we didn't struggle toward the end of the '98 year? We played a good Chase team at home in a great ball game to end the regular season then played at their place in the playoffs and destroyed them.

W​
30-20​
at Freedom​
W​
18-12​
Burns​
L​
7-14​
Crest​
L​
6-7​
at Kings Mountain​
W​
34-0​
at West Lincoln​
W​
40-12​
Bessemer City​
W​
49-0​
at Cherryville​
W​
14-7​
Maiden​
W​
49-3​
at Lincolnton​
W​
23-19​
Chase​
W​
48-6​
Union Pines​
W​
27-7​
at Brevard​
W​
24-0​
at Chase​
W​
28-14​
at High Point Central​
W​
34-14​
Tarboro (at UNC Chapel Hill)​

Shelby goes as far as Omar takes us. We have to run the ball, our defense just isn't there this year...

Shelby goes as far as Omar takes us. We have to run the ball, our defense just isn't there this year...
As far as Shelby Middle School team staying intact. With Shelby's tradition, reputation, and State Championships. They all should want to stay at Shelby. Do not know they will but there are not too many football fans in North Carolina that have not heard of Shelby football. Same can be said for Reidsville and other successful teams.

Hmmm....we didn't struggle toward the end of the '98 year? We played a good Chase team at home in a great ball game to end the regular season then played at their place in the playoffs and destroyed them.

W​
30-20​

at Freedom​
W​
18-12​

Burns​
L​
7-14​
Crest​
L​
6-7​
at Kings Mountain​
W​
34-0​
at West Lincoln​
W​
40-12​
Bessemer City​
W​
49-0​
at Cherryville​
W​
14-7​
Maiden​
W​
49-3​
at Lincolnton​
W​
23-19​
Chase​
W​
48-6​
Union Pines​
W​
27-7​
at Brevard​
W​
24-0​
at Chase​
W​
28-14​
at High Point Central​
W​
34-14​
Tarboro (at UNC Chapel Hill)​
Awesome first year for Coach Norman and this team.I still get excited when I think about Norman sending out the kicking unit to kick the field at the end of the game vs Brevard.

Supposedly to combat spread offenses. Problem is you need linebackers for this to work. We only have 2 true linebackers on this team, but we're loaded with lineman..... D1 recruits on the line at that..
Yeah, that D line could have been the greatest ever in the right scheme, the biggest D Line Shelby’s ever had, too. Oh well!

Last edited:
Thought they were streaming the game live! I decided to stay home, so I could check in all the games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT