ADVERTISEMENT

2A West Pre-Season Top 10 - GrizzlyDevil

GrizzlyDevil

Nov 22, 2011
Inspired by @Tigerfan3847 - I got to thinking, which isn't always a good thing, and I figured I would drop my pre-season list for the West.

1 - Shelby is King and until they're dethroned they'll remain on top

2/3 - Maiden/Reidsville ---- either order ---- Maiden is returning nearly everyone, QB play is a non-issue, Defense that allowed less than 10ppg last year looks immovable and very fast. Reidsville is a perennial powerhouse that always has talent from the players to the coaching.

4/5/6 - Monroe - Hendersonville - East Surry ---- all are interchangeable here, but for arguments sake I'll rank them in the order I listed them

7/8 - Burns and Salisbury - a good stable of hard working kids will keep them in the top 10 always

9 - Chase - The Farm has another good year in them...I don't know that they make this list next year

10 - Lincolnton - May be surprising to most...but I promise you this young team last year really bullied everyone they played...they didn't always win, but they were a very tough physical team. It pays off for them this year. I believe they finish second in our conference and make a playoff run.

Honorable Mentions: Polk County, East Gaston, West Lincoln, Forest Hills, Robinson

Out of east surry, Monroe and Hendo. I’d rank Monroe 6th. Hendo has a lot back they only really lost coaching and the qb. East has quite a bit back too
Monroe had a weird season with an unfinished schedule and lots of Covid issues...I believe this hurt them. I believe a full year gives them more cohesiveness, that's why I put them higher.

Monroe had a weird season with an unfinished schedule and lots of Covid issues...I believe this hurt them. I believe a full year gives them more cohesiveness, that's why I put them higher.
Maiden not even top 7. Be serious, Reidsville will curb stomp them 10 out 10 times

• Haha
Reactions: Maiden Creek
Personally I think these four will be there very deep at the end

shelby we will be scary on offense
Reidsville see above
Maiden see above and a good defense
burns athletes everywhere if they are gonna make a deep deep run this is the year … Thompson , mookie, Ben, LJ Allen , Khari, and add Warlick to the mix they will be heck to deal with on offensive side of the ball

Reidsville see above
burns athletes everywhere if they are gonna make a deep deep run this is the year … Thompson , mookie, Ben, LJ Allen , Khari, and add Warlick to the mix they will be heck to deal with on offensive side of the ball
this is very profound insight, you're a genius

Reidsville see above
I think you're right. But it really depends on the brackets. We've got to be in a different section of the bracket than you guys to make a deep run.

Reidsville see above
I have Burns as a top 5 team in the West going into this season. maybe even top 3.

Last edited:
Inspired by @Tigerfan3847 - I got to thinking, which isn't always a good thing, and I figured I would drop my pre-season list for the West.

2/3 - Maiden/Reidsville ---- either order ---- Maiden is returning nearly everyone, QB play is a non-issue, Defense that allowed less than 10ppg last year looks immovable and very fast. Reidsville is a perennial powerhouse that always has talent from the players to the coaching.

4/5/6 - Monroe - Hendersonville - East Surry ---- all are interchangeable here, but for arguments sake I'll rank them in the order I listed them

7/8 - Burns and Salisbury - a good stable of hard working kids will keep them in the top 10 always

9 - Chase - The Farm has another good year in them...I don't know that they make this list next year

10 - Lincolnton - May be surprising to most...but I promise you this young team last year really bullied everyone they played...they didn't always win, but they were a very tough physical team. It pays off for them this year. I believe they finish second in our conference and make a playoff run.

Honorable Mentions: Polk County, East Gaston, West Lincoln, Forest Hills, Robinson
Lincolnton's non-conference schedule is traditionally always tough. It might be the toughest in Western 2A schedule behind Shelby (and Burns). You are right if the Wolves could have generated any type of offense last year they would have faired much better in the Win Column.

Concerning Monroe….A key game last fall for me was Monroe-East Surry….yes Grizz… I’m using comparison games. 😜

Monroe’s defense held East Surry to 10 points. No one came close to that…except Shelby.

It leads me to believe that Shelby and Monroe were the 2 best defenses….I’d say Reidsville too…but Hendersonville and Shelby scored aplenty against them….just saying.

Shelby lost some critical pieces of their defense….it won’t matter though… they’re Shelby.
Monroe defense did not lose much at all…they were loaded with Juniors and Sophomores.

Conversely….Monroe couldn’t score on East Surry.
Shelby did! Maiden did! Reidsville and Hendersonville would’ve too.

Monroe getting back all of their offense too….but it won’t be on the same level as Shelby, Reidsville, Hendersonville or Maiden.

I see Monroe being there near the end with….what I believe…will be the best defense this fall…..the real question is…can they score when they absolutely have to have it?

Defense wins Championship…but if ya get behind against a really strong offense lIke the ones listed above…..ya got to score…and ya can’t always count on your defense to do it.

Last edited:
Concerning Monroe….A key game last fall for me was Monroe-East Surry….yes Grizz… I’m using comparison games. 😜

Monroe’s defense held East Surry to 10 points. No one came close to that…except Shelby.

It leads me to believe that Shelby and Monroe were the 2 best defenses….I’d say Reidsville too…but Hendersonville and Shelby scored aplenty against them….just saying.

Shelby lost some critical pieces of their defense….it won’t matter though… they’re Shelby.
Monroe defense did not lose much at all…they were loaded with Juniors and Sophomores.

Monroe getting back all of their offense too….but it won’t be on the same level as Shelby, Reidsville, Hendersonville or Maiden.

I see Monroe being there near the end with….what I believe…will be the best defense this fall…..the real question is…can they score when they absolutely have to have it?

Defense wins Championship…but if ya get behind against a really strong offense lIke the ones listed above…..ya got to score…and ya can’t always count on your defense to do it.
You got maiden number two brother as well

Shelby's QB is legit and he's only a junior whew lol. Until further notice and proven wrong Shelby is the team to beat in the West. Can't ever count out Reidsville though
He sure is! Smart and accurate and acurate when he moves. Big time arm strength. Has he been pressured any? He has a long wined up that could get him in trouble when pressured. He didn’t have to wash his jersey after Championship game, so I haven’t seen him pressured.

He sure is! Smart and accurate and acurate when he moves. Big time arm strength. Has he been pressured any? He has a long wined up that could get him in trouble when pressured. He didn’t have to wash his jersey after Championship game, so I haven’t seen him pressured.
Against Reidsville he got pressured a little early on, but second half Shelby made adjustments and he was picking them apart in the pocket. That's what I saw watching the game on YouTube. Wouldn't surprise me if he threw for over 4000 this year

'with 50 td's last season

His brother in 2015 set all our records with over 4900 that season and 60 tds....

We had an amazing run of QB play between 2012(13) and this season with George, Lee, Surratt, Bess and now Lee again....

Shelby Lion, was talking just the other day about the meltdown some Shelby fans had when Lance changed the offense. Worked out pretty well. 😀

As I remember, when Coach Ware got the job, and changed the offense, there were a couple of years where they struggled with the transition some. And at the Shelby fans were not very happy. But once they figured out what they were doing and hit that run of QBs, they really took off!

As I remember, when Coach Ware got the job, and changed the offense, there were a couple of years where they struggled with the transition some. And at the Shelby fans were not very happy. But once they figured out what they were doing and hit that run of QBs, they really took off!
Exactly. We have been blessed with a great run of QB's that have been surrounded by good players.

Monroe will lose Shaleak Knotts on offense. That’s a lot to replace. Sure they will to some degree, but Knotts don’t come around like that.

That's all fine. I still like to see them going back to run the triple. I miss the days of Chad Holbrook Tony Mauney and Cedric Surratt. Those guys were dudes some of their kids are probably playing for Shelby or have in the past but that was a crew right there. They're going to win no matter what but I can't stand seeing Shelby throw the ball around the field.

Shelby is clearly going to be the team to beat yet again. Burns has the ability to be a top 3-4 team this year. I have a feeling Burns would love another shot at Hendersonville in November.

Reactions: UNC91

Loved this post… Grizz!

I’ve been too busy this weekend to study it fully…going to funeral stuff!…ugh!…last couple years been like that for me… guessing most my age have experienced the same thing. Another ugh!!

Loved Tiger fans’ too…liked that he started with # 10 though…made the read a little more suspenseful…on who he had at #1?😜

I see why you did it the other way….so you could blow us all away…with that Lincolnton pick at #10.
I bet Mr. Lincolnton just cringed when he saw it!😂… bet he said…daggum you! Grizz!😂😂😂

I will say that # 10 pick is a tough one!…I’ve looked at it all morning…and still ain’t sure who I would put there. I agree with your top 9…not necessarily in that order…but those 9 teams should be there.

As for the Wolves…LHS VA…put it best…what’s their offensive identity?…they have to figure that out… to make a serious run.

I do like Polk…Weaver is a monster…leading rusher…leading tackler… by a mile.
They didn’t lose much either.
If you put them at 10…that’s looks weird since CHASE is 9…and CHASE throttled them last fall. Is the gap from 9 to 10 that far? Maybe so?

East Gaston lost too many to be considered top ten this year…according to others in the know….I definitely believe they were last season though…especially at the end.

I’d pick Robinson over Forest Hills… barely…just saying.

West Lincoln…certainly deserves consideration…in my gut…that’s prolly who I would pick at 10….hell…they’re gonna win it all anyway!😂… they believing!…Grizz😂…that’s the first step.

Bunker Hill and Newton?…maybe?…just maybe?

Good stuff.

Last edited:
..."I see why you did it the other way….so you could blow us all away…with that Lincolnton pick at #10.
I bet Mr. Lincolnton just cringed when he saw it!😂… bet he said…daggum you! Grizz! " 😂😂😂
Excerpt from a post left by super, rabid, zealous Blue Devil, Maiden Creek

You're right my friend, it did make me draw up and gasp a few times. I have to say thanks to Grizz for including us, even if he just did it for old time's sake.

Thank you for including us in your top 10, Grizz! Our non conference schedule is tough so we will see early on what type of team we will be. Got to beat one, if not all the county schools this year.

That's all fine. I still like to see them going back to run the triple. I miss the days of Chad Holbrook Tony Mauney and Cedric Surratt. Those guys were dudes some of their kids are probably playing for Shelby or have in the past but that was a crew right there. They're going to win no matter what but I can't stand seeing Shelby throw the ball around the field.

That 1980s ball is for those teams out east. You have tons of teams to pull for over there. Check them out

• Haha
Reactions: Lion Attack
Exactly. We have been blessed with a great run of QB's that have been surrounded by good players.
Looking at Shelby's schedule, too bad they didn't forecast gas prices. Even though, prices were still high back then when scheduling. Charlotte, Gaffney, and Rockhill cost way less gas than Asheville and Lenoir :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: New3ra and UNC91
The best clear cut teams are Shelby , Reidsville, Burns , Maiden , East Surry and Monroe , Chase . I think my picks the from 8-10 and the honorable mentions could flip flop easy. I think Burns is the only team in their conference who can beat Shelby. However, I don’t think it will happen. I think Chase is a sleeper team in the playoffs if they stay healthy. Monroe was young last year , I wouldn’t be surprised to see them in the 3rd rd . The question mark for them is can they replace that receiver who committed with Maryland . The QB is the question mark for Maiden. I don’t think people realize how talented the guy was who graduated. I will say that West Lincoln, Bunker Hill and Lincolnton are all capable of beating Maiden . However Maiden host Lincolnton and Bunker this season. I think Maiden host West Lincoln . Traditionally Maiden rarely loses at home .
Yes, we are hosting those all 3 this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT