ADVERTISEMENT

2023 realignment

Gone, at least according to state BOE, is using free/reduced lunch and WF Cup standings as a large chunk of the formula so some changes are coming I think.

Gone, at least according to state BOE, is using free/reduced lunch and WF Cup standings as a large chunk of the formula so some changes are coming I think.
That will probably be an excellent formula for “travel team” and “country club” sports. I think ADM is still best measure for football. Perhaps have a football alignment and non football alignment. In Wake County the biggest schools ruled the area 4AA. Middle Creek Before losing population to new schools. Wake Forest before Rolesville . Today Leesville Road and Rolesville are two of the largest. Even Gibbons was on the upper end of the old 4A scale.

The memorandum of understanding between the NCHSAA and the state says classification must be done in a "fair, impartial, and transparent manner, based primarily on average daily membership." So I guess now we find out what "primarily" means...

Last edited:
I think we are jumping the gun assuming they will realign after 2 years. Not saying they wont, but I think its very possible they finish this cycle. I havent heard a peep officially on this, and really nothing unofficially.

I think we are jumping the gun assuming they will realign after 2 years. Not saying they wont, but I think its very possible they finish this cycle. I havent heard a peep officially on this, and really nothing unofficially.
I realize that a lot of folks aren’t fans of the current alignment process. I’m on record as feeling the same way. But with all these programs have been through in the last two years, it would be a real injustice, especially to coaches and AD’s, to realign this soon. It would create way too much turmoil, especially in scheduling.

I know this is a wish, but they need to add 5A to avoid putting teams in leagues with others 300-500 or more kids bigger. ADM's go up and down all the time, especially in some of the rural schools and small town schools.
I'd like them to add 5A and 6A, but some schools are so big (and some are so small) that you'll still always have that problem in your smallest and biggest class unless you go away with classifying based a set percentage of the total number of schools being in each class. Some states just set a max enrollment for each class and let there be an unequal amount of schools in each class, and that's maybe the best way to deal with that, but it comes with other problems.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Maybe ADs and principals will vote the next time…
1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, and 5A would be perfect for NC High School Football. One item I've always been concern with. People believing that the admin numbers represent the number of people trying out for football. Or that a 100 kids trying out for Adrey Kell, one the highest admin #'s in the State, are automatically better than a 100 kids trying out for Scotland County. Very difficult to figure out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chopper747
They said yesterday, as I suspected, that they will not realign until after this 4 year period. I think we will go to 5 or 6 then.

They said yesterday, as I suspected, that they will not realign until after this 4 year period. I think we will go to 5 or 6 then.

What makes you think they will get the votes needed? I hope your right. I'm just thinking the 4a and 3a teams won't vote, which count as a vote against.
I think they need 75% of school to vote yes to change it.

If they stick with 4 classifications, they need two champions in each class

I think 6 classifications with 1 champion would be best. They also need to go back to using only the actual enrollment to determine the classification.

Reactions: KW23 and raiderstud
The way I look at it since I been in AZ - AZ travels 3-4 hours for conference game so if NC folk travel 2 hours is minimal bc U get to anywhere in NC easily imo but It isnt really need in NC but Back in 80-90 travel time didnt mean nothing so I dont mind traveling if its a big game n or rivalry type games.

I think they do need add 5 maybe 6a bc AZ goes to 6A. (1a-3a usually tend have more travel time in rural areas)

NC is by far superior then AZ but there are some thing AZ does right that NC hasnt done yet. AZ has more sports sanction like Boys volleyball n such and having 6A and Ik some may disagree but I like in AZ how 1a-3a has their own board so the bigger dont control what they do 4a-6a have their own board but DOWNSIDE is Everything goes thur AIA so like Scheduling Coaches have some say but Not always taken bc its done by your area Rep at the board of your classification

Reactions: Kylar2018
If they stick with 4 classifications, they need two champions in each class

I think 6 classifications with 1 champion would be best. They also need to go back to using only the actual enrollment to determine the classification.
Just because there are four divisions they can be divided up without going to eight. No more than six champions, please.

Out of the last state title teams would they be big or small if the class was subdivided? 4A Cardinal Gibbons? 2A Shelby? 1A Tarboro? Think Dudley would be large in 3A. If you have two or three of four state champions that would be from the smaller split why are we subdividing when over 65% of the teams make the playoffs.

Reactions: CPC4LIFE
We can't continue going by enrollment only.
In AZ football is its own thing so like your can be 4a in every sport but football be in 3a or whatever the case but they go by success, #s and few other things like i think go by how many kids are on reduce lunch n such but idk the whole formula

Yes I know.
I'm just saying they can't go by enrollment only anymore.
Here's an example. These numbers are not official. I'm guessing at this but it's close.
Robbinsville draws from 8,000 population county wide and has 360 kids. Charters preps, and open enrollment school draw from a area with 100,000 kids and play in 1a and have won about 90% of the boys basketball title over the last decade.
Also Early College High Schools draw the non athletes from the enrollment of schools which drops their enrollment without dropping their athletes.
Two schools with 700 both in 2a but one opens an Early College and drops to 1a after losing 200 kids to the E.C. Both schools have the athletes of an 700 enrollment school but one is in 1a now with an enrollment of 500. So going by enrollment in today's world doesn't give an true enrollment. I'm not sure what needs done but enrollment alone isn't the answer anymore. Maybe go by the population in the district.

In AZ football is its own thing so like your can be 4a in every sport but football be in 3a or whatever the case but they go by success, #s and few other things like i think go by how many kids are on reduce lunch n such but idk the whole formula

That's worse than what we got now.
Punishment for success is a terrible lesson to teach our kids.

What makes you think they will get the votes needed? I hope your right. I'm just thinking the 4a and 3a teams won't vote, which count as a vote against.
I think they need 75% of school to vote yes to change it.

This is the first thing they should get rid of. If you don't vote, it doesn't count...period.

Reactions: BlueVols and btango
every classifications should have 64 schools except the largest classification and every team qualify for the playoffs need to have 11 classifications

That’s what we did with this latest realignment. The more Wells Fargo Cup points you had factored into whether you were moved up or not. A school that might not be good at football, but excels in other sports could get moved up based on that.

• Sad
Reactions: btango and nepsy7
it has it pros and cons but If your GOOD then your good.

River valley (AZ) is 2a in every sports but they are 3a in football. They have held their own n have made deep playoff runs which why they stay 3a now if they ever fell out and started have rough seasons next few year then they may go down to 2a. Also in AZ they do 2 year realignments

Yes but that only 25% of the equation.
That's not going be alot of movement.
Arizona moves you up if you win. So a very small school like Robbinsville (370)could have a good run and win 2 or 3 titles and be forced to play 2a for four years. That's pretty extreme.

Yes but that only 25% of the equation.
That's not going be alot of movement.
Arizona moves you up if you win. So a very small school like Robbinsville (370)could have a good run and win 2 or 3 titles and be forced to play 2a for four years. That's pretty extreme.
Maybe extreme but again they dont just based off #s they have their own formula, like i said it has it pros n cons but It does work here, I never said they need to do this but They have change to 5a/6a to keep it for this current setup which is similar to AZ model bc AZ u travel , U play up if u are good, etc etc so

it has it pros and cons but If your GOOD then your good.

River valley (AZ) is 2a in every sports but they are 3a in football. They have held their own n have made deep playoff runs which why they stay 3a now if they ever fell out and started have rough seasons next few year then they may go down to 2a. Also in AZ they do 2 year realignments

2a to 3a isn't as extreme as small 1a to 2a. Robbinsville usually has bad years right directly after good years. I'm talking 3 or 4 win seasons. Because of low numbers.
That's the years we would be 2a.
I promise that if "your good your good" comment doesn't apply with 370 kids. Down years will always happen.

2a to 3a isn't as extreme as small 1a to 2a. Robbinsville usually has bad years right directly after good years. I'm talking 3 or 4 win seasons. Because of low numbers.
That's the years we would be 2a.
I promise that if "your good your good" comment doesn't apply with 370 kids. Down years will always happen.
River Valley only has like 420-450 kids so there # maybe slightly more then robbinsville but they do fine.

I think maybe we could learn from Arizona and have different association for the smallest 50%.
I agree I like how they have 1a-3a Board with local reps for any conference and then 4a-6a same thing
Only thing i hate last yr is everyone started season different start dates , this year i think everyone starts at same time ( I think) so there are some Pros/Cons with it but its allow 1a get into playoff first then everyone follow each week so then everyone finishes at the same time for state title games

River Valley only has like 420-450 kids so there # maybe slightly more then robbinsville but they do fine.

Do the have E.C and Charters in that county? If so that greatly dilutes the enrollment. What size population do they draw from. 400 in one state can be a Hugh difference from 400 in another state.

Do the have E.C and Charters in that county? If so that greatly dilutes the enrollment. What size population do they draw from. 400 in one state can be a Hugh difference from 400 in another state.
What hurts them is district lines and also There is 1 charter school rn but they are going build a charter school near River valley which may actually kill off river valley complete # wise if they hire the right coach at that new charter school

You won't find another traditional High School in NC that does as good as Robbinsville with the same amount of kids and we wouldn't do to good in 2a.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
What hurts them is district lines and also There is 1 charter school rn but they are going build a charter school near River valley which may actually kill off river valley complete # wise if they hire the right coach at that new charter school

If Robbinsville had a EC or Charter we might only have 300 kids but we would still have the same athletes as when we had 375. It make enrollment numbers blurry. I think schools should still count the district kids that attend the EC or Charter but only for athletics.

i have a idea that may or may not work. why not put the teams in regions like south carolina does for the classes

every classifications should have 64 schools except the largest classification and every team qualify for the playoffs need to have 11 classifications

Do you think the largest class should have more or less than the other classes?

i have a idea that may or may not work. why not put the teams in regions like south carolina does for the classes
NC uses conferences while SC uses regions. I do not see a lot of difference. SC has changed their districts over the years just as conferences change here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT