Jahmir Smith – RB – Lee County

Caleb Strait – OL – East Bladen

Javon Terry – DB – Wake Forest

Alan Tisdale – LB – Page

Noah Turner – LS – Western Alamance

Blake WHiteheart – H/TE – Mount Tabor

Javonte Williams – DB – Wallace-Rose Hill

Payton Wilson – LB - Orange

Good roster. Tons of talent this year especially at RB...now is it me or is Zamir White not on here? I see two players from Scotland on here and I know teams are allowed to have no more than two on the SB roster

Very bittersweet for Phil Davis of SP. A honor to be named but disappointing that he probably will have to decline unless something miraculous happens.

White opted out. He plans to be an early enrollee as a college freshman in January. Their exams and other school related items often conflict with the game. This has happened with several others over the last few years. Would expect him to play in one of the two national all star games as they occur after school is completed and before college starts back.

Reactions: Reynoldsrocks2
I wasn’t really questioning any of the kids ability, I was more just asking if they were the three best because I wasn’t familiar with the senior QB’s in the state. I meant top three QB’s in my first post also, not trying to slight anyone, just missed the third one on the list.

I think in order to be chosen you have to attend shrine bowl combines which is now a fee. So this may be the best three that attended combine workout

I think in order to be chosen you have to attend shrine bowl combines which is now a fee. So this may be the best three that attended combine workout

Not required to attend a combine. Have been players chosen that did not go to one. The combine allows a coach to speak to and interact with prospects while observing them in skill challenges and drills.

Two of the QBs are big kids that are FBS recruits. The third has ran the offense that will be used for years. Having eight practices he will be an asset there and can do some other things in the field. His brother plays baseball at UGA, he is very interested in playing football at West Point.

Last edited:
OK I wasnt sure. Both are great qbs and rightfully deserving their selction. Thanks for the info. I'm just confused about having a fee for these combines. Joe blow pays a fee does good in drills/skill test just to be overlooked by higher ranked player that hasn't paid anything. Players are going to these workouts that have absolutely no chance of making the team. Just my opinion not stepping on any toes but have recruiters that attend games and make your decision that way. Kids are spending numerous amounts of money for college camps and this being a charity event you think it would be different and not a money gimmick.

Thanks for the info. I'm just confused about having a fee for these combines. Kids are spending numerous amounts of money for college camps and this being a charity event you think it would be different and not a money gimmick.

Please don't be so stupid. The Shrine Bowl proceeds go to the children's hospitals. The combines were created so lesser known players have a chance to impress the coaches. Any money collected at the combines go toward offsetting costs. Therefore allowing to go the the children who need it.
Do a little bit of research before you make uninformed comments.

The Shrine Bowl football people have looked at various options for the combines. They have ran numbers and had conversations with past staffs and high school coaches around the state. The thought is if it is for free the amount of players that have show up will be more than they can really deal with and still get good looks at the players that shine. If it is free the SB is paying out of pocket for insurance (got to have it) and sometimes cost to use the facility.

They try to get the coaches a hotel room if they have more than a two hour drive although some opt out of that. An assistant coach several years told me it was the greatest thing he had ever been a part of but he said it was very financially dibilitating to him with the gas and getting a couple of hotels and having extra day care but stated he would do it again in a heartbeat. Each player gets a t-shirt, also which is not a huge deal but it is something.

Another thought was to do an invitational only setup where the coach had to sign off for the player to attend. Too many coaches do not complete the paperwork for their players that are selected much less for a player to attend the combine.

Any money made off the combines goes into the funds that will be contributed to the hospital on game day.

I would personally like to see them lower it from $20 to $10 and if they lose a little money let the SB foot that bill but they hope would be to break even. Some schools booster club pay the combine fee for their players.

Someone from Hoover HS remarks about cost. Rush is more about the dollar than any coach I have ever met. Known him since before the tv show when he was still at Hoover.

Please don't be so stupid. The Shrine Bowl proceeds go to the children's hospitals. The combines were created so lesser known players have a chance to impress the coaches. Any money collected at the combines go toward offsetting costs. Therefore allowing to go the the children who need it.
Do a little bit of research before you make uninformed comments.
Im well aware of the proceeds going to children's hospital which I think is great. The combine was created to get more money for the childrens hospital not for lesser players to have a chance to impress coaches. It is what it is. Great idea in my opion going 2 a good cause. I spoke with a close friend that's a Shriner Most of these players are picked well in advance.

I wasn’t trying to suggest any of the QB’s didn’t deserve being there, I just was unfamiliar with the Senior QB’s in the state. I appreciate the info on the players.

The kid from Murphy undoubtedly got on because of his coach being on the staff. I can understand him taking one of his kids I guess.

He is solid and can pass it fairly well plus run it. He will play college football. He has ran this fir years. With eight practices he will be an asset regardless if he plays much. I have no problem with the selection. The top two QBs will most likely handle most of the action.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT