ADVERTISEMENT

#2 Cherokee vs #3 Thomas Jefferson

Gwytoli

Jan 2, 2017
Not much that I know about Thomas Jefferson. what's the thoughts on this game ?

This will be a game between two veteran teams with two mobile QBs who also can throw the football....I've seen both play this year, and both offenses will be hard to stop, and both teams run out of a 1 back set with Mintz and Evans for Cherokee and McMullens and Lay for Thomas Jefferson....It's likely going to feel very winter like on the Reservation this coming friday which generally makes it tougher to catch the football when it's colder, so both teams will rely on their strong rushing attacks to move the football....I like both teams, and both Coaches are veterans who know how to Coach, and prepare their teams which should make this a great game to watch....

I’m already excited for this one. These two teams seem very similar. Could be a shoot out . Cherokee has got to sure up its special teams. Had a ko returned for a td and missed several extra points. It can’t be that hard to kick the ball 15 yards lol .

Murphy’s biggest weapon is a 4 foot something girl kicker who is deadly. I been watching football a long time and she is the only player o ever seen get a ovation from both sides in warm ups. Robbinsville too they got a great kicker

Thomas Jefferson and Cherokee are both Maroon and Gold... Did their(TJ) quarterback recover from what I was told was a hip injury?

Reactions: dmcamp
We have 2 kickers. One from south Africa that kicks XPs the other kicks FGs, kickoffs, and punts.

Reactions: BravesGWY
I love BKnight punter. He was booting them against us. Does he have any offers? What grade is he. Murphy's girl kicker is awesome, we were one of those teams clapping for her. Very impressive and poised young lady.

#13 is punter, kicker, FG kicker. He is a senior and won the last match last year to win state.

QB McMullens threw for 395 yds and 5 TDs against Elkin. Rushed for 2 more TDs. And RB Lay had a rushing TD.

If Cherokee comes out bein physical like they was last night we should pull out the win . It was pretty obvious that union academy hadn't been hit like they was night just goin by there fans reactions

If Cherokee comes out bein physical like they was last night we should pull out the win . It was pretty obvious that union academy hadn't been hit like they was night just goin by there fans reactions
TJ is physical too though. As is/was BC. On a 2 pt conversion attempt last night, Elkin tried a sort of trick play, QB pitched it, and the other player then threw it for the conversion, but took a hard shot from #66, and was slow getting up. If TJ's front 7 gets a clean shot, they will take it. TJ doesn't shy away from taking hits/giving hits. So it should be fun watching both teams go at it next Friday.

Reactions: BravesGWY
I have a question what is the change with the Cherokee program ? I know that they have struggled in past years but as of lately they seem to be playing great. I'm just wandering what has changed? Was it coaching change or is this been something that they have been building and now reeping the benifets of hard work with the youth ? What ever it is it's great to see a program any program turn their football program around and headed in the right direction. Either way hats off to all involved in the change

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Correct me if i’m wrong but the change was all the above. Head Coach was a former WCU Coach who came in and changed the mindset of the program and had a very young team to start with. Mintz came into Qb at the end of his freshman season after starting Qb was injured and it was a sure thing that he was a special player. Cherokee for a couple of years was very young on the line but the team stayed together. Each year I have witnessed this team mature and get better while also turning from mainly a passing team into a running team but still having Mintz great arm but even bigger his ability to tuck it and run. Throw that in with passionate fans and the best facilities in the state. It was the perfect storm. This is just a outsiders opinion

Correct me if i’m wrong but the change was all the above. Head Coach was a former WCU Coach who came in and changed the mindset of the program and had a very young team to start with. Mintz came into Qb at the end of his freshman season after starting Qb was injured and it was a sure thing that he was a special player. Cherokee for a couple of years was very young on the line but the team stayed together. Each year I have witnessed this team mature and get better while also turning from mainly a passing team into a running team but still having Mintz great arm but even bigger his ability to tuck it and run. Throw that in with passionate fans and the best facilities in the state. It was the perfect storm. This is just a outsiders opinion

Both these teams are good/great examples of what a good head coach/ good coaching and the right mindset(s) can do for a program.

I'd have to agree with you wildcat and most of all they've stuck together and haven't had nobody transfer out like in the past .
I started to put that about the transfer but I didn’t want to get anything stirred up but it is a very important fact that I left out. Good luck Friday night and i’m getting ready for some high school basketball

Reactions: Griddie
Cherokee won't take too kindly of another team showing up in maroon and gold I'll say that.... TJ might want to break out white uniforms.

Reactions: lad0215
Both these teams are good/great examples of what a good head coach/ good coaching and the right mindset(s) can do for a program.
Yea TJ has came a long way also. I'm a Rutherford county guy also so I have watched the progress that this program has made. I mean it's not been that long ago since Polk hung 90 on them.

Reactions: dmcamp
Tha biggest thing these boys did was stick together!! This team had tha want to and will in youth league!! They lost gunner and paul to swain and Bradley to r-ville, believe that's all that left us!! Good group of kids, very athletic!! If our line stands that runnin back and qb up and gang tackle it'll be tha same outcome as that big #44 for union, they'll be wantin to step outta bounds instead of get extra yards!! Hopefully our kickin game comes along, we got Cherokee's best kicker ever workin with pebbles and Pete now!! Mr Matt marteens!! He holds our school record with a 50 1/2 yard field goal, he kicked it down in Murphy!! Coach mutt had a lot of confidence in him!!!!

And Murphy's kicker, she's tha woman!!!!! Somebody was sayin she started off rocky or I may have just misunderstood, she split tha goal posts all 20 times on us!!!

Tha biggest thing these boys did was stick together!! This team had tha want to and will in youth league!! They lost gunner and paul to swain and Bradley to r-ville, believe that's all that left us!! Good group of kids, very athletic!! If our line stands that runnin back and qb up and gang tackle it'll be tha same outcome as that big #44 for union, they'll be wantin to step outta bounds instead of get extra yards!! Hopefully our kickin game comes along, we got Cherokee's best kicker ever workin with pebbles and Pete now!! Mr Matt marteens!! He holds our school record with a 50 1/2 yard field goal, he kicked it down in Murphy!! Coach mutt had a lot of confidence in him!!!!

Elkin mutliple times was trying to gang tackle #14, and he fought for extra yards. He dragged/fought multiple defenders for 5-10 yards to get one of his rushing TDs. Early in the game he fought off a couple/few denfenders for a first down and more when it looked like he might be stopped short. #20 is the same way too fighting for extra yards. They don't step out of bounds or go down easily very often.

Anytime a team has a Coach who is fighting for his life, the game itself becomes trivial....I'm sure the Cherokee players are motivated by the fact that Coach Briggs is still on the sideline supporting and coaching his team in spite of what he's going through in his personal life....I don't know if this type of motivation will lead Cherokee to a win on friday night or beyond that, but it should make every player on that team play that much harder on the field when the lights come on....As for Thomas Jefferson, Coach Cash and his approach to building a winning football program cannot be underestimated...Afterall, his teams in South Carolina produced a lot of wins, and his status as one of South Carolina's best High School Coaches was established long before he arrived at Thomas Jefferson....Because of Coach Cash, I think his players look up to him with a lot of respect and admiration as they should, and I think that is part of what has made this Gryphon team special this season because those 17 Seniors on this team have gotten to know the man as well as the Coach which makes them want to play that much harder for him, their teammates and their school....I don't know if this type of motivation will lead to the biggest playoff win in Thomas Jefferson history or not this friday , but I do expect the Gryphons will play very hard this coming friday in their first ever trip to Cherokee....

For those reasons, I expect a high-scoring football game where 1 turnover could potentially be the difference in the outcome....

I'm really torn for which team to root for because Cherokee is a member of the SMC, and Rosman has played the Braves more than any other team in their history....But I must confess that I personally like Coach Jerry Cash as much as any Head Football Coach that I've ever met, and have the greatest respect for him as a man and mentor of men....

Having lost both my father and step father to Cancer, I am rooting for Coach Kent Briggs to win the biggest game of all that is not played on a field of grass but rather is the game of LIFE....

Good luck to both teams and to both men in the future!

That’s the part that’s hard to swallow. Those three players on this team. I just never understood the transferring out, especially Cherokee of all places. But it is what it is. Braves need to get after this Friday night!

It's because Cherokee is tha worst school in tha state!! Nobody else in tha state has drugs, bullies, under age drinkin, teen pregnancy and so on!! And we don't get a good education, nobody from Cherokee has ever graduated from college!! Guess heaven is formed around us and we're just livin in hell!! Nothin bad goes on outside tha rez!!!

Of course you do...LOL.

How many times over the last 4 seasons has TJ been hyped up only to make an early exit . I have seen Cherokee and when healthy they are for real.

I also picked Mitchell over Robbinsville, unlike alot of posters that pick with their heart on their sleeve I base mine off actual football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT